2024 HS Season

I wouldn't change anything. Pick N was the clear #2 after defeating Berlin and MTV at their quad. They've got a very strong offense. Liberty/Pick N regional final is very likely. MTV, Berlin, or New Albany could upset them, but not likely. MTV has injuries and holes in their defense, Berlin didn't seem to have the block to stop them, and New Albany had one 28-30 set while the other 5 sets they played this season the most they got was 20.

I got confused about your thoughts on the rankings. What was the New Albany vs Olentangy score?

Play-in rounds have been updated for the bracket challenge for both divisions. Division I will lock tonight at 6pm and Division II tomorrow at 6pm.

Total predictions for D1:

State Champion
Liberty (5)
St. Xavier (3)
Darby (1)

State Runner-Up
Darby (6)
Brecksville-Broadview Heights (2)
Liberty (1)

State Semifinalist
St. Xavier (6)
Brecksville-Broadview Heights (4)
Liberty (3)
St. Ignatius (3)
Darby (1)
Thomas Worthington (1)

Total predictions for D1:

State Champion
Liberty (5)
St. Xavier (3)
Darby (1)

State Runner-Up
Darby (6)
Brecksville-Broadview Heights (2)
Liberty (1)

State Semifinalist
St. Xavier (6)
Brecksville-Broadview Heights (4)
Liberty (3)
St. Ignatius (3)
Darby (1)
Thomas Worthington (1)
FWIW - I think most would agree Liberty and St X are the top two teams in the state, and most woul dhave that as the finals matchup if they didn't happen to play in the semi-finals this year.

FWIW - I think most would agree Liberty and St X are the top two teams in the state, and most woul dhave that as the finals matchup if they didn't happen to play in the semi-finals this year.
Every bracket had a Liberty/X semifinal, and the winner of that match won state in all but 1 bracket, so that tracks.

Total predictions for D2:

State Champion
St. Charles (4)
Archbishop McNicholas (2)

State Runner-Up
Archbishop McNicholas (3)
St. Charles (2)
Bishop Fenwick (1)

State Semifinalist
St. Vincent-St. Mary (3)
Archbishop Hoban (3)
Chardon (3)
Villa Angela-St. Joseph (2)
Bard Early College (1)

Really? I’m not close to boys volleyball but LaSalle beating Lakota East is a surprise to me.
LaSalle very recently beat East and, to LaSalle’s credit, they very likely had the best player on the court in Hausfeld who can absolutely turn the tide against a team like East. Will be much tougher against Moe who has more consistent options, but he’s good enough to will a team to a win

Correct. #5 Elder beat #4 Walnut in 4 and #6 LaSalle beat #3 Lakota East in 3. Honestly not terribly surprised by either result aside from Elder taking the 4th set 25-10

Sounded like there was a huge serving run to start the game by Elder's new varsity setter B. Kelly, filling in for his older brother M. Kelly who has been sidelined with an injury. I am sure it is tough for M. Kelly, but its gotta be cool to see your little brother stepping into the role without breaking a stride.

LaSalle very recently beat East and, to LaSalle’s credit, they very likely had the best player on the court in Hausfeld who can absolutely turn the tide against a team like East. Will be much tougher against Moe who has more consistent options, but he’s good enough to will a team to a win
From gclsports.com its listed that Hausfeld had 19 kills on 42 swings with a kill eff of .405. Pretty damn good night for a 3 game match.

Really? I’m not close to boys volleyball but LaSalle beating Lakota East is a surprise to me.
LaSalle just beat them in 5 the week before with 5th set going to 21-19 so I was sort of expecting a closer type of match, and the first two sets were in regards to score but wasn't expecting a 3-set sweep by LaSalle but Hausfeld is good enough to simply take over and if you can't get LaSalle out of system enough, he can just tee off on you, which it looks like he did.

Anyone giving Lasalle or Elder a shot at beating Moe or X? My guess is they will be lucky to take one set total between both matches. Am I wrong?
I'd give LaSalle more of a shot than Elder, but it's an uphill battle for both. LaSalle seems to be hot right now and Hausfeld is playing extremely well. Two young, very inexperienced coaches as well so never know what can happen. If Elder was fully healthy, maaaaaaybe, but their setter duo is relatively inexperienced, especially on a big stage and X has firepower from everywhere on the court.

With LaSalle, X and Moe all losing a ton of experience and talent after this year, whereas Elder doesn't lose as much. I'd expect Elder to bounce back next year and contend for the GCL. But keep an eye on Walnut in the region; super young team this year and a roster filled with club players.

I'd give LaSalle more of a shot than Elder, but it's an uphill battle for both. LaSalle seems to be hot right now and Hausfeld is playing extremely well. Two young, very inexperienced coaches as well so never know what can happen. If Elder was fully healthy, maaaaaaybe, but their setter duo is relatively inexperienced, especially on a big stage and X has firepower from everywhere on the court.

With LaSalle, X and Moe all losing a ton of experience and talent after this year, whereas Elder doesn't lose as much. I'd expect Elder to bounce back next year and contend for the GCL. But keep an eye on Walnut in the region; super young team this year and a roster filled with club players.
I agree LaSalle could get the upset W. If they can find a way to keep their aggressive serves in the court, they can really make Moe 1 dimensional and rely on some scrappy defense and transition swings from Hausfeld (and Wood) - which could lead to some multi-point runs. Moe is more polished on paper, but I think Hausfeld could be the best offensive player on the court. That being said, Geselbrecht has stepped up in past years in big moments for Moeller.

Elder could be fun to watch next year. Two dynamic (but smaller) outsides makes for fun viewing.

Walnut returns a lot, and I was impressed by the younger guys who will return, but replacing their libero is going to be a tough spot I think.

Anyone giving Lasalle or Elder a shot at beating Moe or X? My guess is they will be lucky to take one set total between both matches. Am I wrong?
I’ll go with…
Moe 3-2 over La Salle
St X 3-0 over Elder
Have only caught a few matches in person this season, but hoping to be at Moe this evening.

I agree LaSalle could get the upset W. If they can find a way to keep their aggressive serves in the court, they can really make Moe 1 dimensional and rely on some scrappy defense and transition swings from Hausfeld (and Wood) - which could lead to some multi-point runs. Moe is more polished on paper, but I think Hausfeld could be the best offensive player on the court. That being said, Geselbrecht has stepped up in past years in big moments for Moeller.

Elder could be fun to watch next year. Two dynamic (but smaller) outsides makes for fun viewing.

Walnut returns a lot, and I was impressed by the younger guys who will return, but replacing their libero is going to be a tough spot I think.
I think with the continued progression of Corby and Gillotti, especially on defense, it could negate the immediate need for an impact libero and gives that guy time to come along slowly. Wilkins and Helton should help with that as well by continuing to progress their blocking. Whoever fills the void left by Swift will have big shoes to fill, though, for sure. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them nab a top 3 seed in the region next year

I’ll go with…
Moe 3-2 over La Salle
St X 3-0 over Elder
Have only caught a few matches in person this season, but hoping to be at Moe this evening.
i'd go with this as well. LaSalle can keep it close as long as Hausfeld is "on" and LaSalle defense plays well. it will probably be Moeller in 4 but i expect some close set scores.

St. X should win 3-0. I'll predict 20, 21, 17.

Fenwick/ McNick Saturday @Mason. Rockets have beat the Falcons twice. Does Fenwick win the match that matters?
Fenwick is, I believe, back at full strength after having one of their MHs miss some time. I still see McNick winning, especially if Gerhard and/or Gundrum can go on some serving runs, but it's gonna be in a close 4 or 5.

I saw some teams posting on their social media regarding all state teams. Anyone have a full list of these? I didnt see anything on the OHSAA website (imagine that...)