2024 Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not ok with it. Why should Elder drop just so the schools in the sticks with less than 100 kids can be more “competitive”, f those schools.
Yeah man, f those kids for going where their parents send them and/or not having enough money. Stupid poor kids.

What will the school enrollment numbers be for D1 and D2 in these sports?
Not entirely relevant anymore. In basketball (and I think baseball) it will be the top 64 schools in D1, the next 64 schools in D2 and the remaining schools will be divided relatively evenly among the remaining 5 divisions. Football appears to be staying as is with the top 72 schools in D1.

Not entirely relevant anymore. In basketball (and I think baseball) it will be the top 64 schools in D1, the next 64 schools in D2 and the remaining schools will be divided relatively evenly among the remaining 5 divisions. Football appears to be staying as is with the top 72 schools in D1.
Still ghey

I've got them at around 57 or 58 with the Preliminary 2024-25 enrollment numbers.

You have the vocabulary of an uneducated fifth grader. You continue to be an embarrassment to Elder.
I could be more articulate but the response warrants unbridled vulgarity. Elder belongs in D1 for all sports. Screw the tiny schools, they don’t bring in $ anyway.

at least trey said the move to d2 will increase enrollment. long live daddy and legacy ball.

jtk
()

We just turned down 20% of next year’s freshman class. Is there an enrollment problem?
Not presently. Enrollment isn't as high as it was in the late 90/early 2000s or late 60s/early-mid 70s, but Elder's enrollment has been growing for at least the past 4-5 years thanks to being more active in attracting students, starting to accept EdChoice a few years ago and of course the EdChoice expansion.

However, as I have been saying for a few years there are a couple of factors outside of Elder's control that could affect which division it competes in athletically. Here's what I originally wrote in March 2022:
The biggest thing outside Elder’s control is the population growth in public school districts in the Columbus area if the number of D1 schools doesn't increase. For example, the Olentangy Local School District in Delaware County now has the fourth largest enrollment in the state behind only Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus city schools. Since 1998, the district's enrollment is up from 4,812 to 22,573--an increase of 370%. The district projects that over the next 10 years they'll add another 4,000 students PK-12. The district has 4 high schools: Olentangy (previously D2), Olentangy Orange (previously D1), Olentangy Liberty (previously D1) and Olentangy Berlin (previously D2). Based on the numbers on the OHSAA's site all four of those schools have more boys than Elder does pre-competitive balance. I think it's safe to say growth like this will continue around Columbus when the Intel facilities are built.
That district continues to grow at an incredible rate predicting enrollment will rise another 21% in the next 10 years. In October 2023, the school board voted to put a levy on the March 2024 ballot that would in part allow the district to issue up to $350 million in bonds to fund the construction of five additional school buildings including three new elementary schools, a new middle school and a fifth high school in the district. Remember their fourth high school (Olentangy Berlin) just opened in 2018. All four Olentangy high schools are D1 so it's probably safe to assume the fifth high school will be too. Same if Mason ever splits into two high schools or if Lakota ever needs to add a third.

Second, Elder cannot control what decisions are made by the OHSAA commissioner, board of directors or member schools. A perfect example of that was yesterday's decision by the commissioner and board to increase the number of divisions in sports like basketball and baseball to 7 and limit D1 to the 64 largest schools. It's unlikely Elder will be in the top 64 schools in enrollment. If I recall correctly, when Elder won the football state championships in 2002 and 2003 which was around a peak in enrollment Elder was in the bottom quartile of schools in D1. In recent years, Elder hasn't been in the top 72 in enrollment for football, but has been one of the few schools bumped up a division by competitive balance.

However, today Cleveland.com is reporting there will be a vote this spring among the OHSAA member schools which would modify the OHSAA's bylaws to allow schools on a sport-by-sport, year-by-year basis to choose to participate in the D1 postseason. It'll be interesting to see if that measure passes.

Last edited:
Not trying to be too harsh, but the JV team is inexcusably bad. It’s one thing to not have the talent, but the piss poor handling of the ball should not be happening. It’s the last 2 minutes, Elder, had the ball flat out taken right out of the hands of a player and a player inbounding threw the ball to X.

Not presently. Enrollment isn't as high as it was in the late 90/early 2000s or late 60s/early-mid 70s, but Elder's enrollment has been growing for at least the past 4-5 years thanks to being more active in attracting students, starting to accept EdChoice a few years ago and of course the EdChoice expansion.

However, as I have been saying for a few years there are a couple of factors outside of Elder's control that could affect which division it competes in athletically. Here's what I originally wrote in March 2022:

That district continues to grow at an incredible rate predicting enrollment will rise another 21% in the next 10 years. In October 2023, the school board voted to put a levy on the March 2024 ballot that would in part allow the district to issue up to $350 million in bonds to fund the construction of five additional school buildings including three new elementary schools, a new middle school and a fifth high school in the district. Remember their fourth high school (Olentangy Berlin) just opened in 2018. All four Olentangy high schools are D1 so it's probably safe to assume the fifth high school will be too. Same if Mason ever splits into two high schools or if Lakota ever needs to add a third.

Second, Elder cannot control what decisions are made by the OHSAA commissioner, board of directors or member schools. A perfect example of that was yesterday's decision by the commissioner and board to increase the number of divisions in sports like basketball and baseball to 7 and limit D1 to the 64 largest schools. It's unlikely Elder will be in the top 64 schools in enrollment. If I recall correctly, when Elder won the football state championships in 2002 and 2003 which was around a peak in enrollment Elder was in the bottom quartile of schools in D1. In recent years, Elder hasn't been in the top 72 in enrollment for football, but has been one of the few schools bumped up a division by competitive balance.

However, today Cleveland.com is reporting there will be a vote this spring among the OHSAA member schools which would modify the OHSAA's bylaws to allow schools on a sport-by-sport, year-by-year basis to choose to participate in the D1 postseason. It'll be interesting to see if that measure passes.
good.

All of the talk about how Elder emphasizes fundamentals. Where’s that for FT shooting? Bc that’s a fundamental and they’re downright bad at it. It cost them the game tonight.

And it wasn’t the bad FT shooters missing in the clutch, it was some of their best FT shooters.

Last edited:
at least trey said the move to d2 will increase enrollment. long live daddy and legacy ball.

jtk
()
He also thought Elder could just cut tuition to 1k and load up on students. He doesn’t seem to understand that salaries would also drop and you’d lose almost all of the staff. So you have 1/3 of the staff to teach more students. A regular Milton Friedman.

I’m not ok with it. Why should Elder drop just so the schools in the sticks with less than 100 kids can be more “competitive”, f those schools.
As a Sycamore fan/alum, I'm not happy moving down divisions either. Right now, Sycamore is the 3rd biggest D2 school based on enrollment. They could push back to D1 with just like 10 more boys. I'm guessing Elder will make the competitive balance numbers work in the future so they can be D1.

I think that be a smart move. Estep and Cam would be fun to watch.🏆
Even better if Carson Duke had stayed. He’s the best player for West Clermont as a Soph. But ultimately, they need Johnson to be more of a post player. The only other player with size is Boeing and he’s primarily a Defender.

Ugh. Hate to hear they could be dropping to D2. Ridiculous they are going from 4 to 7 divisions. Hopefully if there is a way to stay in D1 Elder will do all they can to do so.
I have to think that rule giving teams the option to play up will pass. Hoban won the D1 title last yr and they could be dropped? Makes no sense.

And it’s not like Elder’s enrollment is dropping, it’s going up. They didn’t do anything to merit being dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.