2024 Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, Centerville's Moravian Prep game still doesn't count and I was told that their LaLu game on Friday won't count.
Based on what I was told tonight, it seems like Elder’s loss to IMG Academy didn’t count initially because that particular team’s schedule wasn’t loaded into MaxPreps.com. Apparently the OHSAA recognizes IMG Academy as a school whose games count for RPI. 🤷‍♂️

In the end, that one game’s outcome wouldn’t change the seeding. Elder will be the #2 seed regardless.

The silence is deafening on here about this 19-2 basketball team. This may be Joe’s greatest coaching season ever. This team is loaded with overachievers.
Not sure what you mean by 'silence is deafening" on here. We are on page 11 of talk about this squad so not too much more to say. They have three consistent scorers (1A Williams, 1BJohnson, 1B Murphy) and quite a few other role players who step up when needed like Brass, McDonald, Guidugli, and Priestle. They have a tendency to reach too much but play solid man to man defense.

19-3 record certainly exceeded everyone's expectations. The critical factor to the impressive record is no unexpected slip-ups or miscues. Said another way, this team has won every game they should have won...and lost the games they should have lost. At St X will be interesting and is a coin flip.

Unsure about 'greatest coaching season ever' because it's impossible to measure but Joe and the entire staff (who stepped up for 1/2 the season in his absence) definitely deserve high praise.

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching the stream against Wyoming earlier in the week.

Where did Cam Williams go to middle school? He's a good looking player.
He is fun to watch and the only Elder player who can consistently create his own shot.

It was grade school night and they introduced the players from the school they each attended. I believe Williams was Lourdes but someone should correct me if I'm wrong. The entire Elder team comes from 6 or 7 feeder schools. I remember hearing Visitation, Jude, Victory, Lourdes, Antoninus, and Dominic.

Last edited:
Cam is OLL they also had Julian Walters who is at Summitt and will probably end up low D1 or high D2.

The silence is deafening on here about this 19-2 basketball team. The knuckleheads from St X get all the ink. This may be Joe’s greatest coaching season ever. This team is loaded with overachievers.

It is disappointing there is no press on HS sports any longer. You might see an article or two come tournament time. In the community press days, you could enjoy an article almost every week on the team. There was only one article by wcpo about the X suspensions. It hardly made any news.

Please don't insult this team calling them overachievers. They have kids that play basketball year round. They have athletes that play multiple sports. I think you're saying they don't have a true bona fide star(Williams does lead the league in scoring), and that is fair. Let's give them credit for playing good basketball though. The coaching staff led by Coach Joe is one of the best around.

This is a very well coached and Talented Elder team. One of the better teams in the region no doubt. Anything can happen at playoff time.

According to CometCountry in the main basketball forum, Elder is in the Cincinnati 1 sectional with Princeton and Lakota West.

Cincy 1---is Elder, Princeton and West
Cincy 2-- is Oak Hills, Aiken, Sycamore vs Mason
Cincy 3-- Moe, Anderson, LM and Goshen
Cincy 4--Hamilton, Fairfield,St. X, Lakota East, LaSalle (tough sectional)
Cincy 5--is WWoods, Middletown, Kings

Here are the brackets: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/DAB/SouthWest/Basketball/24BBKD1SECT.pdf

Lakota West is currently 13-6 overall and 10-4 in the conference which puts them second behind Sycamore in the GMC. They have games against Sycamore (first in the GMC) and Hamilton (third in the GMC) remaining.

Princeton is 10-10 overall. 8-6 in the conference for fifth place. They have a win over Colerain and a game against Fairfield remaining.

Both of those teams present matchup problems for Elder.
Elder will have matchup problems defensively, but I don’t think those teams can guard Elder. Both teams will press and try to make it helter-skelter, so Elder will just have to rip it and go finish at the rim. If Elder is finishing their shots, they’ll win.

I’m not high on the possibility of this team making a run. The Defense is always good. They’re effective in using the Press and sound in man to man in the HC. The problem is, the Offense is too inconsistent. They seem to get hot early and taper off as the game goes on.

It looks like Elder will be moving to D2 and LaSalle D3 with the new alignment. I read an interesting post that makes sense. With 4 Regions having 16 teams will there be a time when there are two leagues split into 8 teams obviously based on what division you are playing. It would solve scheduling issues and still leave open weeks to play old rivals.

It looks like Elder will be moving to D2 and LaSalle D3 with the new alignment. I read an interesting post that makes sense. With 4 Regions having 16 teams will there be a time when there are two leagues split into 8 teams obviously based on what division you are playing. It would solve scheduling issues and still leave open weeks to play old rivals.
I personally am fine with it. Elder will always be Elder regardless of classification.

Having said that, I'd have guessed the multiplier would apply for private schools like Elder (meaning depending on the local public school jurisdiction certain student count for 1.5X) and push them to D1.

I'd guess Elder gets 40-50% of its kids from Oak Hills District and another 20-25% from Three Rivers, 10-20% from CPS, and the last percentage falling into "other" but not sure how the math works.

Do you have actual numbers to back this up? "looks like", "think", "guess" are pretty vague. For alumni that really think D1 is best for Elder, they should voice their opinion and push for the competitive balance number to be higher to stay D1. This is for soccer, basketball, and baseball right?

Do you have actual numbers to back this up? "looks like", "think", "guess" are pretty vague. For alumni that really think D1 is best for Elder, they should voice their opinion and push for the competitive balance number to be higher to stay D1. This is for soccer, basketball, and baseball right?
It all comes out tomorrow. Nobody can push anything, it is what it is. The only way Eder or another private school in the state can get their number higher will be by having public school transfers. In doing that you add 9 or 10 kids to your enrollment numbers which is still based off grades 10,11,12.

There's no perfect system but the enrollments from top D1 to lower D1 were getting out of hand. Elder is actually well below the D1 line.

It all comes out tomorrow. Nobody can push anything, it is what it is. The only way Eder or another private school in the state can get their number higher will be by having public school transfers. In doing that you add 9 or 10 kids to your enrollment numbers which is still based off grades 10,11,12.

There's no perfect system but the enrollments from top D1 to lower D1 were getting out of hand. Elder is actually well below the D1 line.

I have always been under the assumption the OHSAA accepts whatever number the school submits. Elder's number always looked lower to me than comparable private schools.

I have always been under the assumption the OHSAA accepts whatever number the school submits. Elder's number always looked lower to me than comparable private schools.
I'm not sure what else to say other than Elder will be D2. Elder looked lower enrollment wise because they are lower enrollment wise.

Elder looked lower enrollment wise because they are lower enrollment wise.
I think Elderhsfan02 was referring to Elder’s competitive balance number compared to other Catholic high school’s competitive balance number not actual enrollment.

Ghey, super ghey.

I personally am fine with it. Elder will always be Elder regardless of classification.

Having said that, I'd have guessed the multiplier would apply for private schools like Elder (meaning depending on the local public school jurisdiction certain student count for 1.5X) and push them to D1.

I'd guess Elder gets 40-50% of its kids from Oak Hills District and another 20-25% from Three Rivers, 10-20% from CPS, and the last percentage falling into "other" but not sure how the math works.
I’m not ok with it. Why should Elder drop just so the schools in the sticks with less than 100 kids can be more “competitive”, f those schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.