2023 XC Season

JAVMAN83

Lakota West's junior, Evelyn Prodoehl, opens the XC season with a fabulous 17:49.44 @ Fortress Obetz today. Moves from #35 to #28 on my all-time list.
Mason girls just edge Lakota West, 124 to 127.

Worthing Kilbourne's boys won over Steele's (Amherst), 117 to 184.

The season has begun!

Most impressed by Ursuline senior Bentley Thomas, who dropped her PR from 19:47 last year to 18:05 today.
I wonder if that's the fastest performance ever by a Lion? I think it just might be.

No, there are two other girls known that are faster.

Last edited:
Lakota West's junior, Evelyn Prodoehl, opens the XC season with a fabulous 17:49.44 @ Fortress Obetz today. Moves from #35 to #28 on my all-time list.
Mason girls just edge Lakota West, 124 to 127.

Worthing Kilbourne's boys won over Steele's (Amherst), 117 to 184.

The season has begun!
Both boys and girls D1 races were good! Steele boys placing 2nd was awesome and Lakota West girls look great! Rocky river girls placed 7th and jumped about 10 spots from this same meet last year. Prodoehl looked solid. Any other impressive boys/girls teams/runners that stood out or suprised?

The biggest surprise was the results and officiating.
Results from Finishtiming were not up to their usual standard. I believe they are the best company in the country- don't get me wrong- but on Saturday they had some major snafu's which surprised many coaches.

The officials did not understand the uniform rules and were not pleasant about it. Tennis and golf somehow handle their seasons without officials. It amazes me how our sport's #2 gripe is the officiating every year and the state coaches association doesn't just squelch officiating and put them in their place.

Results from Finishtiming were not up to their usual standard. I believe they are the best company in the country- don't get me wrong- but on Saturday they had some major snafu's which surprised many coaches.

The officials did not understand the uniform rules and were not pleasant about it. Tennis and golf somehow handle their seasons without officials. It amazes me how our sport's #2 gripe is the officiating every year and the state coaches association doesn't just squelch officiating and put them in their place.
What was the big issue with uniforms?

Tennis and golf don’t have officials?

I would be happy to clarify any questions related to the uniform rules.

It is very common for many officials to NOT know the rules. They still go off of what they know from 5-10 years ago and don't keep up. They must not pay attention during those mandatory updates. Many officials will argue with coaches about the rules regarding uniforms and really not know what they are talking about. I am not sure what happened Saturday, but it happens almost every year at districts and regionals and sometimes even state.

It is very common for many officials to NOT know the rules. They still go off of what they know from 5-10 years ago and don't keep up. They must not pay attention during those mandatory updates. Many officials will argue with coaches about the rules regarding uniforms and really not know what they are talking about. I am not sure what happened Saturday, but it happens almost every year at districts and regionals and sometimes even state.
When I coached basketball I always had my copy of the rules in my back pocket.

It was a brand new live results platform from milesplit for XC (We are working on it to make it better and more like what we had before). Most issues with live results were internet issues. Of the 15-20 coaches telling us we missed a kid if we told them to refresh their browser it would show. The internet was very slow for everyone. Obetz told me there was something in the area causing it the last week or so. They moved us to the other side of the goalpost this year and the wireless to the split point for the first race did not want to work until i moved it away from that line of site. (2nd girls race I just plain f***ed up and missed a split starting while working on something else at that moment)

The uniform rules, especially the headband rule and clothing underneath the uniform rule, have become much more relaxed and cause me much less anxiety on meet days. I remember in the past having kids take a black sharpie to their compression shorts underneath their uniform shorts because the stitching on their compression shorts were gray and didn't match the color of the rest of the compression shorts.

Wow what an improvement! I know weather was nice but was course short? Even if it was only 3 miles still quite an improvement for this young man.

1693063017876.png

1693062778476.png

Yeah, I went through the top 50 boys and PRs were ridiculous! Colonel Crawford race looks the same??? Just confused on how this happens. 😕

Yeah, I went through the top 50 boys and PRs were ridiculous! Colonel Crawford race looks the same??? Just confused on how this happens. 😕
Was thinking the same thing but couldn't tell. Didn't see anything posted online and no map of the course is available either.

What's the story on the Lakota East Fall Classic course? Long/Short/Correct length? Difficulty? Where/what's the facility name?

I know the ground's hard, so times bound to be fast. Prodoehl drops another bomb with her 17:22.02 win there yesterday. #21 performer all-time now, up from #28 from just last week. Hope she's not peaking.

It's the same course year after year. It has yielded a bunch of sub 15s on the boys side (usually at GMC and district).

Reactions: VFL
It was a brand new live results platform from milesplit for XC (We are working on it to make it better and more like what we had before). Most issues with live results were internet issues. Of the 15-20 coaches telling us we missed a kid if we told them to refresh their browser it would show. The internet was very slow for everyone. Obetz told me there was something in the area causing it the last week or so. They moved us to the other side of the goalpost this year and the wireless to the split point for the first race did not want to work until i moved it away from that line of site. (2nd girls race I just plain f***ed up and missed a split starting while working on something else at that moment)

Personally, I do not like the new look, design, or compatibility. The ability to look at TEAM results is a pain in the . The interface sends you in a circle. I really enjoyed the old look.

I take it you mean VOA. That wasn't mentioned on the results link.
Indeed it wasn't. However, the meet site was listed on Lakota East's schedule.

Since you hit on it, I will say that more meet managers in my neck of the woods are not posting as much information on MileSplit such as the meet location and course maps vs. when they were only using baumspage. A few are doing a good job uploading all that info, but they are currently in the minority.