2023 XC Season

Wooster is fast, obviously. Folks can think what they want. I will say, having watched every single race there today, there were some fantastic head to head battles that made for very good fan engagement, and kids really felt a racing vibe. If we weren't so hung up on times in this sport, we could just embrace watching the efforts and enjoy the day.

I'm told there were some crazy fast times at Wooster on Saturday but cannot get the results to come up. Said results will likely trigger the standard battery of questions. The course has always had a reputation for being fast. That meet appears to have siphoned off a large number of NEO teams that used to go to Tiffin.

Here are the results for Wooster- Great Event!

I'm told there were some crazy fast times at Wooster on Saturday but cannot get the results to come up. Said results will likely trigger the standard battery of questions. The course has always had a reputation for being fast. That meet appears to have siphoned off a large number of NEO teams that used to go to Tiffin.
Senaca East night race has also taken teams away from Tiffin. That is also a fast course and I would not be surprised if it is also short based on the times.

Wooster is fast, obviously. Folks can think what they want. I will say, having watched every single race there today, there were some fantastic head to head battles that made for very good fan engagement, and kids really felt a racing vibe. If we weren't so hung up on times in this sport, we could just embrace watching the efforts and enjoy the day.

This falls into the category of "fast runners make fast courses". Looking at the results there were a LOT of kids there that could be on the podium at State.

Results from a few of the out of state invites with Ohio teams running this weekend. The Davidson girls won at Trinity.
Spartan Invite at MSU on Friday
Trinity Valkyrie Invite (Louisville, Kentucky)
Flashrock Invitational (Carmel, Indiana)
Davidson dominated at Trinity 4 well under 19 and one just over with their top runner Kaulen 9th overall at 18:19. I believe they will take D1 this year. They just keep reloading it's pretty impressive. Erbach of Waynesville was fastest Ohio female runner 3rd overall at 17:43 and Waynesville the Ohio D2 poll back and forth #1 or #2 was 5th overall. .

Davidson dominated at Trinity 4 well under 19 and one just over with their top runner Kaulen 9th overall at 18:19. I believe they will take D1 this year. They just keep reloading it's pretty impressive. Erbach of Waynesville was fastest Ohio female runner 3rd overall at 17:43 and Waynesville the Ohio D2 poll back and forth #1 or #2 was 5th overall. .
Agree, Davidson looks good and seemingly a state champ team. thoughts on any other teams that can *possibly* contend to beat them or the teams you think that will finish top 2-5 at state (girls)

Not a chance. But I will say I don’t see a clear front runner for 2024. Jackson graduates a lot, as does Mason.
I’ll put my money on Mason and St. Xavier being in the mix.

8 of the last 10 D1 boys trophies have gone home to the Cincinnati District. This is the first time since Hudson in 2018 that a Cincinnati team has not won the D1 Boys State title.

I’ll put my money on Mason and St. Xavier being in the mix.

8 of the last 10 D1 boys trophies have gone home to the Cincinnati District. This is the first time since Hudson in 2018 that a Cincinnati team has not won the D1 Boys State title.
Correction. Five of the last ten D - winners have come from outside the Cincinnati District. St. Ignatius - 2015, Solon - 2016, Hudson - 2017, Hudson - 2018, Jackson - 2023. Mason has three of the last ten, Hudson has two, the other five all have one.

Last edited:
Correction. Five of the last ten winners have come from outside the Cincinnati District. St. Ignatius - 2015, Solon - 2016, Hudson - 2017, Hudson - 2018, 2023 - Jackson. Mason has three of the last ten, Hudson has two, the other five all have one.
They hand out 2 trophies at the state meet for D1 boys. A gold one, and a silver one.

Starting in 2019, 8 out of those 10 have gone back to Cincinnati.

Mason: 2nd 2019, 1st 2021, 1st 2022, 2nd 2023
St. Xavier: 1st 2019, 2nd 2020, 2nd 2022
Lak. West: 1st 2020

Mas. Jackson: 1st 2023
Dub. Coffman: 2nd 2021

As Coach Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" If you want to hang your hat on finishing second, go for it. Are two even enough? CYO used to give trophies to the top three teams at their CYO track Championships.

Stark County taking home 3 team golds. Also had a pair of 2nd place individual finishes. Great job by Coach Walsh, Coach Graham, and Coach Scott in getting their teams to put it all together on Saturday. I'm happy for all of them and their runners but will admit to being most happy for Coach Walsh.

Last edited:
Stark County taking home 3 team golds. Also had a pair of 2nd place individual finishes. Great job by the Coach Walsh, Coach Graham, and Coach Scott in getting their teams to put it all together on Saturday. I'm happy for all of them and their runners but will admit to being most happy for Coach Walsh.
Pumped for Coach Walsh, great guy.