2023 SWBL BASKETBALL

Kennard is a hard comparison. Kennard is a generational player who is playing the game at the highest level. I like the Shrout comparison but like the other poster said his team was 20-4 his freshman year. We will have to wait and see how he progresses
Kennard is a tough comparison. You have to remember, his freshman year he played with two 6'8" D1 players so he didn't have the pressure to score a bunch. Don't get me wrong, Like was the best player ever out of the SWBL. Denny has a lot of potential it's all about how he develops.

I’ve seen him twice this season. He had his coming out party and couldn’t miss the night he scored 45. Then I saw his worst game of the year 3 points on 1/11 shooting. The Kid is a freshman and attracts a lot of attention for sure. I see both of your points of view. I think the kid will be an awesome player for VV but needs has to have the players around him develop to become successful as a team standards go. I feel like coach doesn’t hold him accountable for some of his poor shot attempts and forces. But on the other hand he has to score it for them to be competitive. Hopefully he grows as a basketball player and they can develop around him. Carlisle face guarded him second time and the others set in a Box. I watched the coach not make any adjustments. Hopefully they learn from that as I know Madison will run it again when they meet tonight, so I will be interested in tonight’s game.
One thing people forget is the player who was supposed to be starting point guard has been out all year due to a football injury. That would take pressure off Denny as he wouldn't have to handle the ball so much and could run and cut off screens.

One thing people forget is the player who was supposed to be starting point guard has been out all year due to a football injury. That would take pressure off Denny as he wouldn't have to handle the ball so much and could run and cut off screens.
For sure, Dixon is a loss for sure. I’ve not seen him play a whole lot but know he is an athlete for sure.

Waynesville loses on a tough call by the ref. I have a feeling the Carlisle fans know they got away with one. It would have probably went to OT so you never know what would have happened there. If I could figure out how to load a movie I would post it.

Carlisle 50
Waynesville 49

Carlisle 50
Waynesville 49

Lawson (18) Carlisle
Morgenson (14) Carlisle

Warren (13) Waynesville
Sesslar (12) Waynesville

Again I was not impressed with Warrens play. Don’t look into what the above poster said. Waynesville had multiple chances to win the game and they were getting a lot of the questionable calls. The officiating wasn’t the greatest but Carlisle had to deal with it and found a way to pull out the victory. Waynesville did a nice job on Lawson in 1st half as he had 2 points but distributed the ball to some open guys. He took over in second half with 16 points scored when they needed big shots. Morgenson and Conger really stepped up and knocked some big shots down in the 1st half to keep it close. Overall nice team Victory for the Indians

Carlisle 50
Waynesville 49

Lawson (18) Carlisle
Morgenson (14) Carlisle

Warren (13) Waynesville
Sesslar (12) Waynesville

Again I was not impressed with Warrens play. Don’t look into what the above poster said. Waynesville had multiple chances to win the game and they were getting a lot of the questionable calls. The officiating wasn’t the greatest but Carlisle had to deal with it and found a way to pull out the victory. Waynesville did a nice job on Lawson in 1st half as he had 2 points but distributed the ball to some open guys. He took over in second half with 16 points scored when they needed big shots. Morgenson and Conger really stepped up and knocked some big shots down in the 1st half to keep it close. Overall nice team Victory for the Indians
So you don’t believe the last play was a charge? Both teams obviously had opportunities.

So you don’t believe the last play was a charge? Both teams obviously had opportunities.
I was on far end, to me it looked like Lawson went to the side at the last moment as the defender was in position. Rowe fouled out on a Charge a few possessions earlier. I’ll have to look at video and slow it down to get a correct assessment. To me at that junction on a euro step it’s a block. But I’ll look at film and check it out and post it if I can

I was on far end, to me it looked like Lawson went to the side at the last moment as the defender was in position. Rowe fouled out on a Charge a few possessions earlier. I’ll have to look at video and slow it down to get a correct assessment. To me at that junction on a euro step it’s a block. But I’ll look at film and check it out and post it if I can
I realize a still shot doesn’t tell the whole story. But there is no euro step here.
IMG_3068.png

As an alumni returning to Oakwood for the first time in a while, I was unimpressed with their play. As a regular on this site, reading all of the comments and replies, I have heard a lot about Luke Rubin. I was not impressed by his play or demeanor. Of course he made some miraculous shots and played well on both sides, but he was outplayed severely. I also noticed that every time he turned the ball over he seemed to want to blame others. He’s a great players but it seems like he’s not a leader for this team and that showed tonight in a 17 point loss to Brookville. I believe Aidan Jacomet showed his case for POY, along with Jace Wood who had ~ 40 pts

As an alumni returning to Oakwood for the first time in a while, I was unimpressed with their play. As a regular on this site, reading all of the comments and replies, I have heard a lot about Luke Rubin. I was not impressed by his play or demeanor. Of course he made some miraculous shots and played well on both sides, but he was outplayed severely. I also noticed that every time he turned the ball over he seemed to want to blame others. He’s a great players but it seems like he’s not a leader for this team and that showed tonight in a 17 point loss to Brookville. I believe Aidan Jacomet showed his case for POY, along with Jace Wood who had ~ 40 pts
All due respect, but watching a team/kid play once and judging the whole season based on that game is pretty unfair. Basing your POY pick on one game is straight crazy!

Rubin had 18 and 17 on Waynesville. I don’t think anyone thought they would have the season they had especially losing Maxwell. Their new coach has been impressive and has helped his players individually and as a team. Rubin didn’t play last year to my knowledge and doesnt have varsity experience so what the coach has done with him has been impressive. The school/players/team he came from (Bellbrook) have struggled ever since their coach went to Oakwood. Rubin played well against us. Keep in mind that they also have a couple strong kids on the team. It’s not all Rubin.

Warren is the best basketball player in the SWBL Buckeye Division. Oakwood is the best basketball team in the SWBL Buckeye Division. So does Rubin win POY just cause he is Oakwoods best player? No.
Think Cook will get it for other side. Coach Alford is doing well with him and team especially for being new(er). He’s helping players get stronger and Cook is continuing to excel. Bales was instrumental for Franklin and had huge success but Alford is proving himself especially winning the league.

Think Cook will get it for other side. Coach Alford is doing well with him and team especially for being new(er). He’s helping players get stronger and Cook is continuing to excel. Bales was instrumental for Franklin and had huge success but Alford is proving himself especially winning the league.
I think Cook is the clear-cut winner on the other side. Hard to really argue for anyone else.

Congrats to Franklin on winning the league. Unfortunately I think the season for all teams on that side is coming to an end quickly. This year might be the weakest that side of the league has been in many years. Typically a few of the top teams can win a game or 2 in the tournament but I don’t see it this year.

Cook is definitely the player of the year as he is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of talent. I think the verdict is still out on Alford. Not saying he’s a bad coach but when the league is weak and you have the best player it’s hard not to win the league. Keep in mind people were ready to run him out of town after last season.

Hoping my Hornets can make a run at the title next year with only losing 2 seniors. The current junior class has some solid talent but I think we are also seeing why many of them didn’t get a significant amount of run last year, which some commented should have been the case. Lack of depth is a concern again, which has been the case the last few years.

Best of luck to all SWBL teams in the tournament!

Oakwood 64
Franklin 47

The headline of this one was the matchup between the likely POYs from both divisions. Both guarded each other the entire game and it was Rubin who had the upper hand, finishing with 24/10 assists and holding Cook to 12.

Oakwood now sits at 17-4 with one game remaining at rival Bellbrook. What an incredible season it has been for the Jacks so far, exceeding expectations by a lot. Hopefully it can translate into some tournament success - they’re currently 2nd in the district in the OHSAA RPI.

Last edited:
Carlisle 73
Madison 63 OT

Blake Lawson has something to say about POY he had 39 a career high in the win. Officiating was something to be desired tonight for both sides of the ball. Carlisle had 4 guys foul out and a total of 53 fouls called tonight. Just insane.

Lawson (39) Carlisle
Rowe (17) Carlisle

Combs (27) Madison
Miller (12) Madison

I think Cook is the clear-cut winner on the other side. Hard to really argue for anyone else.
I think there are many good player's in the league. Coaching comes to play here. At this rate every team has their “top” player and all know they are. All are skilled in their own right. Cook is definitely one of those players. Few coaches know how to develop these key players and help them succeed which in turn helps their team. Franklin and Oakwood have done a good job with those players and therefore their teams are victorious. If you only look at stats, neither are phenomenal but the coaches still know that they need to run through these boys. Rubin 27.7% and Cook 37.7% from 3 Neither are exceptional but these stats don’t tell the entire story. Cooks are a bit stronger however these players will have lower percentages as they are on the top scouting report for every team. Having them on the floor also helps the other players get wide open looks.therefore your weaker players may have higher percentages but everyone knows they are definitely not strong.The game is extremely harder for the top players, percentages will be lower and keep in mind that both players are only juniors. Cook is a good player but he’s been put in position to succeed.
Coach Travis Williams/Waynesville has been consistent in coaching and does an outstanding job creating for Warren and the team. He should be considered for COY as well.

I think there are many good player's in the league. Coaching comes to play here. At this rate every team has their “top” player and all know they are. All are skilled in their own right. Cook is definitely one of those players. Few coaches know how to develop these key players and help them succeed which in turn helps their team. Franklin and Oakwood have done a good job with those players and therefore their teams are victorious. If you only look at stats, neither are phenomenal but the coaches still know that they need to run through these boys. Rubin 27.7% and Cook 37.7% from 3 Neither are exceptional but these stats don’t tell the entire story. Cooks are a bit stronger however these players will have lower percentages as they are on the top scouting report for every team. Having them on the floor also helps the other players get wide open looks.therefore your weaker players may have higher percentages but everyone knows they are definitely not strong.The game is extremely harder for the top players, percentages will be lower and keep in mind that both players are only juniors. Cook is a good player but he’s been put in position to succeed.
Coach Travis Williams/Waynesville has been consistent in coaching and does an outstanding job creating for Warren and the team. He should be considered for COY as well.
I'm sure their coach appreciates your support, but Waynesville for COY is silly talk. Oakwood and Waynesville both lost a lot last year, Oakwood a much higher-end loss. Oakwood beat Waynesville twice, won the league and the Spartans finished tied for third. Why would Waynesville get it over even Carlisle's coach who lost a ton last year, beat Waynesville twice and finished second in the league?

I'm sure their coach appreciates your support, but Waynesville for COY is silly talk. Oakwood and Waynesville both lost a lot last year, Oakwood a much higher-end loss. Oakwood beat Waynesville twice, won the league and the Spartans finished tied for third. Why would Waynesville get it over even Carlisle's coach who lost a ton last year, beat Waynesville twice and finished second in the league?
COY isn’t based on wins alone. I think Oakwoods coach will deserves it. Oakwood lost all their top players, had Rubin who didn’t have varsity experience, and coach is new to Oakwood. It’s apparent he had more influence over Bellbrook as they have struggled without him on the coaching staff. He has done a good job with the players and the team.
My point was that I think Waynesville coach is an all-around good:consistent coach. That’s all I’m saying.
Wasn’t an argumentative comment. Just an opinion.

I think Oakwood's coach deserves it. Not only did they lose their top players from last year, one of them was one of the best in school history. Waynesville and Carlisle coach also deserve consideration but I have to think Oakwood. Another coach who I think has done a good job is Denny at VV. To take a team where you two best players are freshmen and they had some injuries plus one of their top returning players decided not to play and have them close to .500 in league and for the season says something to me.

COY isn’t based on wins alone. I think Oakwoods coach will deserves it. Oakwood lost all their top players, had Rubin who didn’t have varsity experience, and coach is new to Oakwood. It’s apparent he had more influence over Bellbrook as they have struggled without him on the coaching staff. He has done a good job with the players and the team.
My point was that I think Waynesville coach is an all-around good:consistent coach. That’s all I’m saying.
Wasn’t an argumentative comment. Just an opinion.
just to clarify, Rubin has been on the varsity roster since his freshman year when he played 16 games and then played in 8 as a sophomore, though he was injured much of the season. I covered the team both seasons for the city's local newspaper.

Any one got any info on Franklin / Vandalia Butler game last night? Hearing all kinds of stuff. Game got called in 3rd quarter and Butler fan was tased by police in parking lot? Any truth to it?

just to clarify, Rubin has been on the varsity roster since his freshman year when he played 16 games and then played in 8 as a sophomore, though he was injured much of the season. I covered the team both seasons for the city's local newspaper.
Note taken. Still not a lot of varsity minutes. My point was that Oakwood's new coach is doing a phenomenal job and appears that Rubin is thriving under his leadership.