2023 SWBL BASKETBALL

Crazy Horse

June is right around the corner for high school bball. Curious to see how everyone is doing in shootouts and what they have coming in. Early diagnostics are some teams have lost a lot to graduation. I'll list some stuff below, please add to thread with any thoughts or info for us all. League changes as well.

EAST -

BELLBROOK- Lost Labensky, Driskel, Lees, to graduation. Bring back Webb 15.5 PPG, Solomon 10.5 PPG, Schoy 7.3 PPG should be a contender for east.

MONROE- Lost a big senior class most of their scoring. Taylor, Fetrow, Fults, Evans, Salyer, Snelling. Might be a very long year for them.

FRANKLIN- Williams, Everrett, gone to graduation. Cook 21.9 Murphy 4.3 are back, Cook needs help or another long year for Wildcats.

EDGEWOOD- Lost top 3 scorers from last year. Top returners are Ballantyne 5.1 Barry 4.7. Not much here to compete this year. Plus levy troubles.

ROSS- Lost Reid, and Fulmer. Bring back Voegele 11.4, Nunn 10.3, Caldwell 8.0. Early on think it's between them and Bellbrook. Levy troubles as well.

WEST-

CARLISLE- Lost Smith 2 time POY, Bring back 3, 1st team players Lawson 15.3, Rowe 9.7, Taylor 6.0. Also have Mortgenson Kid coming up will play as a freshman. Think they have to be favorite again but have a huge target on their back.

BROOKVILLE- Brings back a lot this year almost everyone. Will be in the mix this year. Wood 15.3, King 9.8, Fisher 9.7, Crabtree 6.7.

EATON- Lost some seniors Miller, Janney, and Miller. Bring back Ahmed 16.4, Bach 5.7. Ramy Ahmed needs help to compete they under achieved last year.

MADISON- Lost some seniors, But bring a good group of Juniors and seniors to the table. They will make some noise and be in mix as well.

OAKWOOD- Lost Coach and Maxwell. Think they will be in some trouble this year. Bremner 8.2, Jacomet 7.0, Rubin 3.0 are returners.

WAYNESVILLE- Elliott, Hatmaker, Sizer, Christenson, all gone. Warren 9.7 returns. Long year maybe for Spartans.

VALLEY VIEW- Lost Bromagen, Stidham, Gibbs. Bring back Valenti 9.7 Henson 9.0. Deny kid will be a freshman this year. He will make them better but they are 2 years away from winning conference.

Heard at an AAU tournament Webb may be on the move

Give me Brookville in the West, losing Smith is huge but also losing Harmeyer's defense will hurt. Not sure they have a go-to guy left

What happened to Eaton? They had a great season and looked like something good was starting and then tanked hard.

Heard some people in Germantown want a coaching change, not sure they will last another two years without change

Madison hasn't had a winning season in three years and graduated three starters, don't think they are making noise next year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cook is on the move from Franklin, it's going to do very lean for awhile there.

Heard at an AAU tournament Webb may be on the move

Give me Brookville in the West, losing Smith is huge but also losing Harmeyer's defense will hurt. Not sure they have a go-to guy left

What happened to Eaton? They had a great season and looked like something good was starting and then tanked hard.

Heard some people in Germantown want a coaching change, not sure they will last another two years without change

Madison hasn't had a winning season in three years and graduated three starters, don't think they are making noise next year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cook is on the move from Franklin, it's going to do very lean for awhile there.
Webb leaving Bellbrook would hurt them.

Carlisle has 3 solid kids playing high level AAU, Lawson plays for Shinning Stars Price. Kolby Mortgenson All Ohio, Taylor plays have seen him at a few bigger tournaments. Rowe is a very good Athlete Has D1 potential in baseball. Would have to say they have the nod, Just with those kids being in gym year round.

Eaton I have no clue, Lost a few close games and wheels fell off.

VV is tricky situation, They seem to have the talent just cant put it all together.

Madison has some nice players coming. Both games i watched them last year the bench out played their starters. they will win some games that people will say they have no business winning.

If I was Cook I would be looking at Fenwick or a Gcl team.

Webb leaving Bellbrook would hurt them.

Carlisle has 3 solid kids playing high level AAU, Lawson plays for Shinning Stars Price. Kolby Mortgenson All Ohio, Taylor plays have seen him at a few bigger tournaments. Rowe is a very good Athlete Has D1 potential in baseball. Would have to say they have the nod, Just with those kids being in gym year round.

Eaton I have no clue, Lost a few close games and wheels fell off.

VV is tricky situation, They seem to have the talent just cant put it all together.

Madison has some nice players coming. Both games i watched them last year the bench out played their starters. they will win some games that people will say they have no business winning.

If I was Cook I would be looking at Fenwick or a Gcl team.
Saw the Taylor kid playing with a rec-level team in April and wondered why, is he playing for someone good now? Not familiar with Mortgenson.

Reading between the lines, you seem to think the problem at Madison is coaching? Bench should have been playing instead of starters?

Cook has an old coach straight up 73 :stirthepot:

Kai Cook is not going to transfer away from Franklin. I can assure you that. He is still getting plenty of exposure and stardom while playing there, no reason for him to leave unless he wants to abandon the district he's gone to his entire life for a better regular season record lol.

Kai Cook is not going to transfer away from Franklin. I can assure you that. He is still getting plenty of exposure and stardom while playing there, no reason for him to leave unless he wants to abandon the district he's gone to his entire life for a better regular season record lol.
Stardom? Don't know what you think stardom is? A kid that shoots it every possession is not stardom. I personally think the Kid is a good basketball player. but needs help at Franklin to fine tune all his basketball skills. If he plays at the next level he will soon realize that its always about the best shot possible not him shooting 20+ times a game. If he wants to play next level at all, It would be beneficial for him to try and see what his options were at other schools. Like SWHoops said Bales is only 10 minutes away and he would fit into That style very well.

Last edited:
Saw the Taylor kid playing with a rec-level team in April and wondered why, is he playing for someone good now? Not familiar with Mortgenson.

Reading between the lines, you seem to think the problem at Madison is coaching? Bench should have been playing instead of starters?

Cook has an old coach straight up 73 :stirthepot:
I like Richardson at Madison. Like his style, but his bench players younger guys played a lot harder than a few of the Seniors last season. By the end of year it was almost equal time for the younger guys and seem to be playing better. I just think they have a chance to have an upset or two in league.

I think Taylor subs and plays on multiple teams. I didnt see him this past weekend in Columbus though. I saw a few Swbl kids, Webb from Bellbrook and the two Carlisle guys Lawson, and Mortgenson.

Being the leading scorer on the worst team in the league does not lead to exposure (at least the right kind) or stardom. He is playing for a good AAU team so that will help with good exposure.

Heard Monroes job opened up. He teaches at Fairfield and wanted a teaching job at Monroe that was open and they wouldn't give him his years.

Heard Monroes job opened up. He teaches at Fairfield and wanted a teaching job at Monroe that was open and they wouldn't give him his years.
The same thing happened a few years ago with a football coach that they wanted to hire but the district wouldn’t give them their years on the salary schedule. I am not sure if this is 100% factual, but from my understanding a school district can only give a max of 10 years of experience.

I don’t buy this excuse though with Horne. Monroe just graduated nearly every kid who played significant minutes last year. Next year’s Monroe team will be lead by the incoming juniors who have very little varsity experience. The incoming senior class is not very good at basketball. The writing was on the wall and I think he was looking for a cop out. Just my opinion for what it’s worth

Was hoping that job would open. Monroe ain't done much since he's been there.
True, but what awful timing. Unless there is someone in-house they can promote real quick you've lost June and the new coach is behind with what seems like a very raw squad.

We've some halfway decent teams but not won no more than 14 games each season in the last 2 decades if I remember correctly. None of them stay no more than 4-5 seasons.

Last edited:
Any news on Monroes coach search? Hopefully they'll find someone soon.
Monroe hired Casey Poppelwell. Casey teaches in the building and was the head coach several years ago at Monroe. Is that a common thing, to hire someone who was already the head coach?

Not what I expected but ok but that will do I guess. He was HC 2010-2014 I think. Monroe is a Football and Soccer school in my opinion we've never been a basketball school in long before me and I'm 30. There's not big interest in basketball like the Franklin or Carlise of the world. Long been the problem with Monroe is they won't stick their neck out to get a good coach. All buddy buddy in who you know is who gets first pick.

Last edited:
I thought so but wasn't for sure. The cupboard is pretty empty right now so it might be rough hopefully not long but I'm not optimistic at the moment.

I thought so but wasn't for sure. The cupboard is pretty empty right now so it might be rough hopefully not long but I'm not optimistic at the moment.
With the growth of Monroe it doesn't help in the basketball world that they moved up to DI!!

They won't be the worst team in D1 unless they're intimidated by the name "D1".
The fact that Monroe is D1 is anything is a travesty. When you are comparing them to a Mason and Mason has 1000 more boys…. Come on man! Monroe isn’t the only school affected by the state’s inability to figure out equal divisions.

On the basketball front….the incoming senior class is super weak, but the junior class used to be one of the best athletic classes that came through Monroe in recent time. Their numbers are down due to the natural attrition and also players not wanting to play for the old staff. Plus, the incoming juniors didn’t see much varsity time because the team was senior heavy last year. It will be a year of growing pains for sure in Monroe, plus adding a new coach will take some time as well

The fact that Monroe is D1 is anything is a travesty. When you are comparing them to a Mason and Mason has 1000 more boys…. Come on man! Monroe isn’t the only school affected by the state’s inability to figure out equal divisions.

On the basketball front….the incoming senior class is super weak, but the junior class used to be one of the best athletic classes that came through Monroe in recent time. Their numbers are down due to the natural attrition and also players not wanting to play for the old staff. Plus, the incoming juniors didn’t see much varsity time because the team was senior heavy last year. It will be a year of growing pains for sure in Monroe, plus adding a new coach will take some time as well
That's a problem in itself, why keep all those seniors if they can't help you? That kills the program and the development of your younger guys, as a result you lose good players to other schools and creates dissention within the program especially when you have a tradition of not winning. You're gonna lose anyway so why not lose with the young guys that's your future. So let them experience the growing pains of learning how to win. It totally makes no sense to have more than 4 or 5 seniors if they can't contribute that's why places like Monroe don't win.

That's a problem in itself, why keep all those seniors if they can't help you? That kills the program and the development of your younger guys, as a result you lose good players to other schools and creates dissention within the program especially when you have a tradition of not winning. You're gonna lose anyway so why not lose with the young guys that's your future. So let them experience the growing pains of learning how to win. It totally makes no sense to have more than 4 or 5 seniors if they can't contribute that's why places like Monroe don't win.
One hundred percent agree with your take on this one.

Anyone hear rumors about Austin Webb transferring out of Bellbrook?
Ran into the Webb’s a couple weeks ago in Columbus. I asked about Bellbrooks June schedule and they seemed like they were all in. Will be interesting if he did. I know Alter is pretty close proximity.

Ran into the Webb’s a couple weeks ago in Columbus. I asked about Bellbrooks June schedule and they seemed like they were all in. Will be interesting if he did. I know Alter is pretty close proximity.
Do Austin's parents think he is D1 or something as many do. Bellbrook is a good spot?

Unless thinking Alter will win more (most people just think of their selves not team)

Do Austin's parents think he is D1 or something as many do. Bellbrook is a good
Do Austin's parents think he is D1 or something as many do. Bellbrook is a good spot?

Unless thinking Alter will win more (most people just think of their selves not team)
Can’t speak on how they feel. I would imagine they want the best for their kid and put him in best position to succeed. I would like to think that all parents would encourage their kid to be the best version of themselves. I agree that Bellbrook is a nice fit for him and he will be the vocal point of team. If he did transfer it would be probably to have a chance a making a nice run in tourney.