2023 SWBL BASKETBALL

Oakwood at Madison tonight, the Jacks clinch an outright Buckeye Division title with a win. They beat the Mohawks 72-51 at home on Dec 22.

They could also clinch with a Carlisle loss.

Carlisle 53
Eaton 42

Lawson (18) Carlisle
Taylor (15) Carlisle
Rowe (10) Carlisle

Ahmed (14) Eaton
Rodgers (11) Eaton

why? surely you don't think Brookville is better than the top 3-4 teams
I thought they look good in D3 North. Obviously the winner of Shawnee and Tri Villiage won’t count towards the standing but really doesn’t matter as they are 1/2 with Indian lake right there as well

I thought they look good in D3 North. Obviously the winner of Shawnee and Tri Villiage won’t count towards the standing but really doesn’t matter as they are 1/2 with Indian lake right there as well
Oh I agree on that. I just think Brookville is seeded exactly where they should be. The RPI has flaws but D3 North top 10 looks absolutely correct to me.

Oh I agree on that. I just think Brookville is seeded exactly where they should be. The RPI has flaws but D3 North top 10 looks absolutely correct to me.
I would argue that Waynesville has beaten Brookville twice and really shouldn’t be seeded below them but arguing over 7 and 9 place is probably not worth the effort.

I agree with regard to teams, but not order. Anna has beaten WLS/Russia/Miami East in their last three games. They should be the 4th seed.

3 of the top 10 seeds are SWBL teams, who have been awful in the tournament over the years. Will be interesting to see if one of those teams can win a few games.

Big week for Waynesville! Carlisle Tuesday and Eaton on Friday

After a big win on Friday against Valley View how will they end their season?

I agree with regard to teams, but not order. Anna has beaten WLS/Russia/Miami East in their last three games. They should be the 4th seed.

3 of the top 10 seeds are SWBL teams, who have been awful in the tournament over the years. Will be interesting to see if one of those teams can win a few games.
Carlisle has beaten a 16-3 Oakwood team that just beat Bishop Fenwick by 12

Waynesville and Brookville beat Dixie

is the WOAC top 2 schools better than SWBL probably. After that I think you are just splitting hairs.

Carlisle has beaten a 16-3 Oakwood team that just beat Bishop Fenwick by 12

Waynesville and Brookville beat Dixie

is the WOAC top 2 schools better than SWBL probably. After that I think you are just splitting hairs.
Last year Carlisle was 19-3 and dominated the league, and their first round game against 11-11 Indian Lake was over at halftime. Brookville is the poster-child for unmet tournament expectations over the last 15 years. The SWBL has an awful history in the tournament, most years season success has not led to tournament success. Hopefully this is the year!

I’m sorry man. I watched him play. Nice finishes around the rim. Good ball handler. Takes a ton of shots. A lot of them are not good. He should be averaging more for the volume he shoots.
They lost to Talawanda.
It’s ok to disagree. I am just not that impressed by what I saw.
Just to update Denny's efficiency, last 3 games he has gone (free throws removed):
29 on 24 shots
22 on 18 shots
21 on 18 shots.

Again, Dayton bball fans should be real excited to watch this freshman develop!

why? surely you don't think Brookville is better than the top 3-4 teams
Absolutely not. Heck Waynesville has beat us twice and is still 4 seeds behind us? There are flaws in this system and in all Districts/Regions. we have teams throughout that have beat teams twice but seeded behind said teams

Last year Carlisle was 19-3 and dominated the league, and their first round game against 11-11 Indian Lake was over at halftime. Brookville is the poster-child for unmet tournament expectations over the last 15 years. The SWBL has an awful history in the tournament, most years season success has not led to tournament success. Hopefully this is the year!
I agree the Swbl has been awful the last few years in tournament. I can only speak on Carlisle, I know they tried to schedule better this year to get them prepared for postseason. Last year playing a very talented 11-11 Indian lake team showed them they needed to beef up the schedule a little. They had some nice scrimmages against Anna, Jackson Center. Then played Tri Village, Preble, and Fenwick in regular season. Hopefully they are able to get a win or two in the tournament as the SWBL has a bad history. Hopefully it starts to change.

Just to update Denny's efficiency, last 3 games he has gone (free throws removed):
29 on 24 shots
22 on 18 shots
21 on 18 shots.

No reason he shouldnt end up as good or better than his brother.

29 on 24 shots
22 on 18 shots
21 on 18 shots.

Look I’ve seen him three times now. He made some great shots but plays out of control. He counts on refs bailing him out. Against Waynesville they had 6’ kid guarding Fritz and he didn’t even look inside. I realize he is a very good player but not the type of player I enjoy watching. If he develops a team mentality then I will enjoy his progression.

Look I’ve seen him three times now. He made some great shots but plays out of control. He counts on refs bailing him out. Against Waynesville they had 6’ kid guarding Fritz and he didn’t even look inside. I realize he is a very good player but not the type of player I enjoy watching. If he develops a team mentality then I will enjoy his progression.
Denny is 6th in the league in assists. What more do you want from him? He takes wild shots but that's kind of expected as the best player on the team as a freshmen. All in all, as a freshmen seeing a lot of gimmick defense, he's had a pretty good year.

Denny is 6th in the league in assists. What more do you want from him? He takes wild shots but that's kind of expected as the best player on the team as a freshmen. All in all, as a freshmen seeing a lot of gimmick defense, he's had a pretty good year.
What do I want him to do? Win more games by being a team player.

Besides Fritz who does VV have that can score consistently? VV is 8-10, last year they were 5-18. I think most people knew VV was a year or two away. I get it though. You don't like his style. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

What do I want him to do? Win more games by being a team player.
Your posts make me believe you are a knowledgeable follower of HS hoops, but the thought that VV would be better with Denny getting the other guys on the team more shots is crazy! Thinking Denny (and his coach) need to figure out ways to get him better shots is reasonable, but him shooting less is a recipe for disaster.

Your posts make me believe you are a knowledgeable follower of HS hoops, but the thought that VV would be better with Denny getting the other guys on the team more shots is crazy! Thinking Denny (and his coach) need to figure out ways to get him better shots is reasonable, but him shooting less is a recipe for disaster.
It’s not necessarily about less shots but quality shots. I realize VV has a short bench. But they have one of the best big men( and tallest) players in the league and Valenti is a senior who can play. Everybody talks about how Denny is double teamed. The easiest way to get rid of a double team is to get easy shots for the other guys. VV needs to work it inside then back out to create some space. Watching Denny dribble into a double team throw up a wild shot and hope for the foul call is not a winning strategy and I don’t know which Denny is to blame for that.

It’s not necessarily about less shots but quality shots. I realize VV has a short bench. But they have one of the best big men( and tallest) players in the league and Valenti is a senior who can play. Everybody talks about how Denny is double teamed. The easiest way to get rid of a double team is to get easy shots for the other guys. VV needs to work it inside then back out to create some space. Watching Denny dribble into a double team throw up a wild shot and hope for the foul call is not a winning strategy and I don’t know which Denny is to blame for that.
I’ve seen him twice this season. He had his coming out party and couldn’t miss the night he scored 45. Then I saw his worst game of the year 3 points on 1/11 shooting. The Kid is a freshman and attracts a lot of attention for sure. I see both of your points of view. I think the kid will be an awesome player for VV but needs has to have the players around him develop to become successful as a team standards go. I feel like coach doesn’t hold him accountable for some of his poor shot attempts and forces. But on the other hand he has to score it for them to be competitive. Hopefully he grows as a basketball player and they can develop around him. Carlisle face guarded him second time and the others set in a Box. I watched the coach not make any adjustments. Hopefully they learn from that as I know Madison will run it again when they meet tonight, so I will be interested in tonight’s game.

Kennard is a hard comparison. Kennard is a generational player who is playing the game at the highest level. I like the Shrout comparison but like the other poster said his team was 20-4 his freshman year. We will have to wait and see how he progresses
Shrout looked better to me as a freshman. Though I do like Denny’s in the court demeanor much better.
Now Shrout did have another 1000 pt scorer that was a SR.
Denny has an extremely talented big man with him.