2023 SWBL BASKETBALL

Big game in the Pit tonight. If Oakwood beats Waynesville they will clinch a share of the SWBL title for the third consecutive year. Would be the first time in school history that they have 3-peated.

The Jacks won at WV 76-58 on Dec 15.

Projected to be a bottom team in SWBL, Oakwood clinches a partial share of the title with the win over waynesville. First ever time Oakwood has 3x peated. 🏀 🏆

IMG_2918.jpeg

mine thing that hurts VV is Henson deciding not to play. He started the last two years and averaged almost 10 ppg last year. I believe the junior class is more of a football group which hurts a small school like VV. The one sophomore that's injured would have been the starting point guard which would allow VV to run Denny off a lot more screens and they would not have to rely on him to be the main ball handler. The bottom line is if VV wants to build a program they need to keep Denny as coach. If they get rid of him I suspect the two freshman leave as well
Waynesville was up 45-40 to start the 4th. The score is currently 53-45 oakwood.
Great game until refs got involved. Oakwood shoots 19 FTs in 4th. Waynesville had 4 starters foul out in the 4th. It is a shame. It was a great game up to that point.

Great game until refs got involved. Oakwood shoots 19 FTs in 4th. Waynesville had 4 starters foul out in the 4th. It is a shame. It was a great game up to that point.
Congrats to Oakwood on at least a share, don’t see them loosing they will clinch it outright. I feel like the pit is a tough place to play. Felt like they do get some questionable calls there, but they seem to always play well at home and get the job done.

72-64 was the final score. Jacomet led with 20, Rubin followed with 17 and 5+ assists.

Unless something shocking happens, the Jacks should close out the season and win the title outright.

One thing that became evident in the game is Warren probably moved ahead of Rubin in the POY race. He was clearly better player tonight.

One thing that became evident in the game is Warren probably moved ahead of Rubin in the POY race. He was clearly better player tonight.
Not a chance, not only has Rubin outplayed him on both ends of the floor throughout the entire season - the deciding 13-0 run of the game (at the start of the 4th) was when Rubin was finally switched onto Warren and shut him down.

Warren is a great player, but he isn’t in the conversation. It’s been between Rubin and Lawson for a while, and with the championship and multiple game lead in the standings it should be Rubin.

Not a chance, not only has Rubin outplayed him on both ends of the floor throughout the entire season - the deciding 13-0 run of the game (at the start of the 4th) was when Rubin was finally switched onto Warren and shut him down.

Warren is a great player, but he isn’t in the conversation. It’s been between Rubin and Lawson for a while, and with the championship and multiple game lead in the standings it should be Rubin.
I completely disagree. Warren through up a 30 and Rubin was barely a factor in the game. He was shutdown completely until the refs bailed him out

I completely disagree. Warren through up a 30 and Rubin was barely a factor in the game. He was shutdown completely until the refs bailed him out
Yes, Warren was great for 3 quarters until Rubin was switched onto him and shut him down. It’s been an interesting strategy this year where Oakwood’s coach waits until the other team’s best player is hot to finally switch his best defender onto him. Maybe to conserve his energy as he is their primary ball-handler and scoring option on offense.

The Warren kid is still a heck of a player, he’s had a great season. Just doesn’t deserve the POY. Rubin has earned it leading a team that no one thought would contend for a league championship to what will likely be an outright one, while being the best two-way player.

Yes, Warren was great for 3 quarters until Rubin was switched onto him and shut him down. It’s been an interesting strategy this year where Oakwood’s coach waits until the other team’s best player is hot to finally switch his best defender onto him. Maybe to conserve his energy as he is their primary ball-handler and scoring option on offense.

The Warren kid is still a heck of a player, he’s had a great season. Just doesn’t deserve the POY. Rubin has earned it leading a team that no one thought would contend for a league championship to what will likely be an outright one, while being the best two-way player.
Warren had 8 in the fourth. Not exactly shut him down. Rubin was held in check all game.
Look Rubin is a nice player but he is not POY in my opinion.

Warren had 8 in the fourth. Not exactly shut him down. Rubin was held in check all game.
Look Rubin is a nice player but he is not POY in my opinion.
We will see. Would be shocked if he didn’t win it. At the end of the day, what really matters is the W, the championship, and the 3-peat.

Warren is in no discussion to win POY. I truly think it will be a co POY Lawson and Rubin. Coach of year will go to Oakwood, but Carlisle coaches will be discussion

if you look at league games Lawson is clearly the favorite as stats on league games he is on top on most categories.

We all know how this will go. The best player are on the best team will win POY. It's been that way for a while. The last time I remember a player on a team who didn't win the league was Denny over Kennard in I believe the 2011-12 season. Denny was a junior and Kennard was a Sophomore. I maybe wrong but Denny was one of the top scorers in the state his junior and season years

Franklin clinched the SW side of the league 49-48 in double OT win at Ross last night. Cook hit a 25 footer at the end of regulation to send it to OT and Ross hit a 3 pointer at the end of the 1st ot to send it to 2nd ot . Cook fouled out with 56 secs. and Carter Black hit a driving lay-up at the buzzer for the win and SWBL Title. Just to add to the excitement after Blacks' lay-up a player threw the ball up towards the other end and it bounced and went right in the hoop. Of course it didn't count but what a wild game.

We all know how this will go. The best player are on the best team will win POY. It's been that way for a while. The last time I remember a player on a team who didn't win the league was Denny over Kennard in I believe the 2011-12 season. Denny was a junior and Kennard was a Sophomore. I maybe wrong but Denny was one of the top scorers in the state his junior and season years

last year Ramy Ahmed split with Connor smith. Eaton was 7-16. So that is incorrect

last year Ramy Ahmed split with Connor smith. Eaton was 7-16. So that is incorrect
Darren Rubin in 2019-20 as well.

But yes, that’s how it is most years and that’s how it is looking this year.

Warren is in no discussion to win POY. I truly think it will be a co POY Lawson and Rubin. Coach of year will go to Oakwood, but Carlisle coaches will be discussion

if you look at league games Lawson is clearly the favorite as stats on league games he is on top on most categories.
I agree Warren has no chance

I think you should go back through all the stats of league games and re-think this statement, they are close but I believe Rubin is ahead of Lawson in more categories (scoring/offense).

I agree Warren has no chance

I think you should go back through all the stats of league games and re-think this statement, they are close but I believe Rubin is ahead of Lawson in more categories (scoring/offense).
After last night Warren will be ahead of Rubin in points per game

Warren top 3 in scoring
Better FG% then the other two
Better FT% then the other two
13TH in rebounding the other 2 are 33rd
Rubin is 5th in assists Warren 12th Lawson 13TH.
Warren is 4th in blocks per game the other two aren’t on the list.

Looking through the numbers I would argue Jacomet deserves it more than Rubin and might be the most deserving then all of them

These numbers are for league games.

Rubin is the best defender of any of the candidates, with equal scoring numbers to Warren and better overall stats than Lawson - and is the leader of the team that is running away with the league.

Warren has no shot, the only other player who could get it is Lawson as a co-POY.

Rubin is the best defender of any of the candidates, with equal scoring numbers to Warren and better overall stats than Lawson - and is the leader of the team that is running away with the league.

Warren has no shot, the only other player who could get it is Lawson as a co-POY.
How can you say he’s the best defender? What is you metric?

Rubin doesn’t rebound and one of the biggest games was a non factor.
Warren has the best all around numbers as I presented. As I said Jacomet is a better option than Rubin

This award doesn’t come down to just stats. It’s the player who has the best overall season. If a player led the league in scoring but their team was in last place they wouldn’t deserve it. However, if you want to go simply off stats, Rubin still deserves it:

Rubin: 17.2ppg, 2.7reb, 3.7ast, 2.8 TO, 42-30-75, 9-1 + League Chip
Lawson: 18.7ppg, 2.7reb, 2.3ast, 5.2 TO, 38-38-76, 6-3 + 2nd
Warren: 16ppg, 4.9reb, 2.3ast, 3.1 TO, 47-32-75, 5-4 + 3rd

How can you say he’s the best defender? What is you metric?

Rubin doesn’t rebound and one of the biggest games was a non factor.
Warren has the best all around numbers as I presented. As I said Jacomet is a better option than Rubin
Based on watching the games, but if you’d like to boil it down to a number he averages double the steals.

In two games head to head:

Rubin (2-0) 17.5 ppg, 5 apg / +34

Warren (0-2) 25 ppg / - 28

In the first matchup at Waynesville, Warren scored over half of his points in the fourth quarter. Rubin didn’t play in the fourth quarter because it was a 20-point blowout. In the second matchup, Oakwood went on the deciding 13-0 run to start the 4th quarter once Rubin was switched onto Warren.

Last edited:
It’s nice to have so many opinions and actually talk about it and debate it. Honestly there is a handful of kids that can win it and be deserving. It’s been a good year for some of the above mentioned kids. I just hope the Swbl can be represented well come tourney time. At least get a few wins. It’s been a fun year and some decent basketball to watch. Hopefully everyone finishes the season well and get right for tournament time.

This award doesn’t come down to just stats. It’s the player who has the best overall season. If a player led the league in scoring but their team was in last place they wouldn’t deserve it. However, if you want to go simply off stats, Rubin still deserves it:

Rubin: 17.2ppg, 2.7reb, 3.7ast, 2.8 TO, 42-30-75, 9-1 + League Chip
Lawson: 18.7ppg, 2.7reb, 2.3ast, 5.2 TO, 38-38-76, 6-3 + 2nd
Warren: 16ppg, 4.9reb, 2.3ast, 3.1 TO, 47-32-75, 5-4 + 3rd
Try using league games for your numbers. I don’t care that Rubin put up 28 against Northridge just like I don’t care Warren put up 31 against Massie.
Warren’s overall numbers are better in league.

if the best player was in last place they should win the award. Nobody can control who else is on your team or school size. Oakwood has 50% more students than Waynesville. So you want to fault a kid because his team isn’t as deep to win more games?

Look I advocated for Rubin earlier in the thread, but last night performance head to head showed who the better player was. I would argue Jacomet has been better than Rubin.