2023 St. Ignatius Football

For all of you alums, what is your favorite moment from Holy Wars of years past? Trying to put together a list.

A few come to mind:

1973 14-13 Ed's. Flea flicker on the 2nd play of the game for an Eagle touchdown. Wildcats driving late in the game when they are stopped on 4th and short, extremely close call. Ed's went undefeated with a 20-20 tie to Benedictine.

1986: 14-5 Ignatius. Ed's would go 8-2 and make the state final but this game seemed like an indicator that their new-ish coach Chuck Kyle would be a force to be reckoned with.

1993: Enough said, greatest game in the rivalry. Ed's storms back from down 21-7 after a touchdown drive to make it 21-14, they get the onside kick and score with only seconds left to tie it. Back and forth in overtimes before a missed extra point dooms them.

1996: Ed's prevails 12-9 in a defensive slugfest during a cold and windy rainstorm. Overtime with a blocked kick and winning FG.

2001: Ed's wins 44-41 in OT, pretty epic back and forth affair. Controversy about Szep being over the line or not on a TD pass. Two teams just traded haymakers all night.

2011: After Ignatius missed the playoffs for the first time in Kyle's tenure and Ed's wins its first state championship, they win a classic 20-17 game with transfer qb Eric Williams leading the comeback. Down 17-3 in the fourth quarter, Ed's had a huge interception only to fumble the snap on the next play to give the Wildcats a chance to get back into it. Ignatius would win their last state championship to date.

2016: 38-31 Ignatius in OT. Ed's almost returns the 2011 favor after losing 34-7 in the regular season, really took it to the Cats and was up 28-24 at one point late in the game. Eagle qb Kevin Kramer suffers a horrific injury to his lower leg after ripping off a big run on their final drive. The Eagles settled for a FG to tie it at 31 then turned to an unproven sophomore Dzuro to try to win.

2018: Ed's finally beats Ignatius in the playoffs (had lost in '08, '11, '16) by avenging a 21-7 loss the week before in the regular season finale. The Eagles raced out to a lead before hanging on for a 21-19 win on their way to a state title.

Based off of that article, one of the people on the text chain had to have either sent screenshots or told a parent about the texts. I would probably guess one of them happens to have friends on Ed's and may have sent it to an Ed's buddy of theirs whose parents caught wind.

A few come to mind:

1986: 14-5 Ignatius. Ed's would go 8-2 and make the state final but this game seemed like an indicator that their new-ish coach Chuck Kyle would be a force to be reckoned with.
This game followed St. Ed's first Monday night game when they beat St. Joe's 3-0 at BW. The game was delayed because of the field conditions of Lakewood High's field. Joe's went on to a 5-3 season and missed the play-offs by a tenth of a point.

Whether the subject was an eds or Ignatius alum or graduated from another school, they should be terminated full stop. If it rose to the level of needing a AD statement sent out, that's enough to be terminated. Not the kind of publicity any school needs from its agents

Whether the subject was an eds or Ignatius alum or graduated from another school, they should be terminated full stop. If it rose to the level of needing a AD statement sent out, that's enough to be terminated. Not the kind of publicity any school needs from its agents
Nah the cancel culture is what’s Ridc …… you got coaches calling out nazis to beachwood kids !!

sounds like the the typical st Ignatius better then them attitude …… but I don’t know of any Ed’s alum coaching for the cats .

I know what was said in those locker rooms when I played and it was a hell of a lot worse.

Nah the cancel culture is what’s Ridc …… you got coaches calling out nazis to beachwood kids !!

sounds like the the typical st Ignatius better then them attitude …… but I don’t know of any Ed’s alum coaching for the cats .

I know what was said in those locker rooms when I played and it was a hell of a lot worse.
Define cancel culture and the applicability to this situation. You are employed, you do something that reflects bad on a company or organization or violates a policy, as a manager for many years in my former lives, always a chance it is goodbye

And in honor of game day, since no competitive game, in jest, you mean that you all will work for us one day?

Define cancel culture and the applicability to this situation. You are employed, you do something that reflects bad on a company or organization or violates a policy, as a manager for many years in my former lives, always a chance it is goodbye
Apparently we should hold hands and sing alma matter’s together too…..

From that article nothing egregious was said.

and I had about 5 friends all alumni text me the article this morning all saying the same thing. How soft is this.

I think you have to issue a statement to protect yourself. A few years ago Ohio State forced Gordon Gee out for making jokes about Catholics. Upset donors or families aren’t worth it. They took a good step in my opinion.

I think you have to issue a statement to protect yourself. A few years ago Ohio State forced Gordon Gee out for making jokes about Catholics. Upset donors or families aren’t worth it. They took a good step in my opinion.
To be fair, what Ignatius donor or family would actually be upset about a coach saying (in a seemingly private context too) these things? I would assume what the article says is more or less the private sentiments of anyone at any school about their rivals in some capacity.

Sure, it is a bad look and probably not the most becoming of a man for others - but what locker room or meeting room has not had some rah-rah speech with similar statements uttered?

JV game was as expected. Eds winning 27-0.
Ignatius with 4 turnovers, including 3 interceptions. Unbelievable how much the football teams turn the ball over now, but the talent probably makes that happen

To be fair, what Ignatius donor or family would actually be upset about a coach saying (in a seemingly private context too) these things? I would assume what the article says is more or less the private sentiments of anyone at any school about their rivals in some capacity.

Sure, it is a bad look and probably not the most becoming of a man for others - but what locker room or meeting room has not had some rah-rah speech with similar statements uttered?
I dont have an issue with 2/3 of the text. We have all said the same stuff before. To me, the issue was probably the part about telling them they don't belong there after the game. That's absurd and unnecessary

JV game was as expected. Eds winning 27-0.
Ignatius with 4 turnovers, including 3 interceptions. Unbelievable how much the football teams turn the ball over now, but the talent probably makes that happen
Who is starting QB on JV?

My neighbor is a St. Ignatius grad. My neighbor two houses down sent his son to St. Ignatius. Can’t we all just get along like we do! 😂

Interested to know who the coach is. Maybe we can let him know where he belongs at future alumni events.
Didn't Rechin go to Eds? Just guessing. If it is him, or if it isn't it is someone on his staff, he should remind the offender what he said about mentor in November 2013 "teach the kids to win or lose with class"

Last edited:
My neighbor is a St. Ignatius grad. My neighbor two houses down sent his son to St. Ignatius. Can’t we all just get along like we do! 😂
The husband of my former boss (still work with her just no longer my boss) is an Eds grad who will be sending his kid to Ignatius soon. Yes, over time, everyone sees the light.....

Didn't Rechin go to Eds? Just guessing
He is an Eds grad, but his kids went to Iggy.

Not a bad guy, and worse things are said in locker rooms every day.

But the problem lies with how it was done. You can't preach to the kids about social media and watching what you do on the phone and follow it up with texting things yourself. It's hypocritical and needs punished. I don't want him to lose his job, but it definitively needs reprimanded.

He is an Eds grad, but his kids went to Iggy.

Not a bad guy, and worse things are said in locker rooms every day.

But the problem lies with how it was done. You can't preach to the kids about social media and watching what you do on the phone and follow it up with texting things yourself. It's hypocritical and needs punished. I don't want him to lose his job, but it definitively needs reprimanded.
If it is him, he should probably consider making his Facebook private before his 2013 mentor post makes him look like quite a hypocrite

For all of you alums, what is your favorite moment from Holy Wars of years past? Trying to put together a list.
1971: Hyped as the Revival of the Rivalry! The two schools played half dozen times in the 50's. I think Ed's won once. Not sure why the game wasn't played in the 60's. Last game of the season at Baldwin-Wallace. Ed's won 24-0. I believe Bob Kubacki, Jim's older brother, was the Iggy QB and Mike Soeder was their tailback. That was one of the best Ed's teams. Finished 9-1. I think the only loss was a team from Dayton.