2023 St. Edward Football

You’re encouraged? Was there a doubt?
Lots of talented athletes don't work hard in the off-season, don't appreciate their opportunity, don't have a good work ethic, don't have a plan. Any number of things, for any number of reasons.

Brandon has a plan, and he's working it.

Gentlemen,

Sykotyk's thread about the number of title games attended reminded me of this. As I was thinking about the title games I have attended I was reminded that I always wanted to ask about this.

I don't know if any of you gentlemen attended the 1975 Moeller- St. Edward AAA title game but I have always wondered why the Eagles went for two after their first score when a PAT kick would have tied the game at 7-7. That did come back to bite them in the 14-12 loss. Did they not have a kicker? Did they always go for two? I wasn't at the week 10 game against Ursuline that season but I know the eagles won 35-8. I guess I just assumed they must have kicked at least one PAT in that game. Thank you in advance for any response.

Gentlemen,

Sykotyk's thread about the number of title games attended reminded me of this. As I was thinking about the title games I have attended I was reminded that I always wanted to ask about this.

I don't know if any of you gentlemen attended the 1975 Moeller- St. Edward AAA title game but I have always wondered why the Eagles went for two after their first score when a PAT kick would have tied the game at 7-7. That did come back to bite them in the 14-12 loss. Did they not have a kicker? Did they always go for two? I wasn't at the week 10 game against Ursuline that season but I know the eagles won 35-8. I guess I just assumed they must have kicked at least one PAT in that game. Thank you in advance for any response.
The kicker, I believe Bill Sillasin, had been perfect on the year. Which made the lost fumble from slightly more than extra point distance on 1st down (recovered by then sophomore Bob Crable) with under two minutes left that much more
brutal. Ed's seemed destined to win it either 15-14 or with a likely touchdown.

But that doesn't answer your question. The speculation was just that Currence thought they'd get it, and could play from the 8-7 lead. Probably thought points would be scarce. Then later, down 14-12, they had to go for 2 and missed it.

This set up the drama of the final Ed's drive. They'd gone some 70 yards in 4 plays to have it 1st and goal, RB Joe Portale doing most of the damage in chunks, combined with Currence's run and shoot. They were suddenly unstoppable. The Ed's side of the Rubber Bowl was rocking. The Moeller side deathly silent. The outcome seemed inevitable.

Then, on 1st down, the QB Dan McHugh left center and began his sprint out to the right, the wIngback heading for the corner. Will he run it in? Throw the touchdown? Here it comes!

But wait. Commotion back on the line. Apparently, you must have the ball in your hands to do either of the above. McHugh left without the ball. Pileup. Moeller kids jumping up and down. Moeller crowd going crazy. Ed's crowd deathly silent.

Future 1st round draft pick Crable gets up last with the ball. Gerry Faust wins his 1st. Ed's kids live with regret a long, long time. High school football. Sigh.

The kicker, I believe Bill Sillasin, had been perfect on the year. Which made the lost fumble from slightly more than extra point distance on 1st down (recovered by then sophomore Bob Crable) with under two minutes left that much more

But that doesn't answer your question. The speculation was just that Currence thought they'd get it, and could play from the 8-7 lead. Probably thought points would be scarce. Then later, down 14-12, they had to go for 2 and missed it.

This set up the drama of the final Ed's drive. They'd gone some 70 yards in 4 plays to have it 1st and goal, RB Joe Portale doing most of the damage in chunks, combined with Currence's run and shoot. They were suddenly unstoppable. The Ed's side of the Rubber Bowl was rocking. The Moeller side deathly silent. The outcome seemed inevitable.

Then, on 1st down, the QB Dan McHugh left center and began his sprint out to the right, the wIngback heading for the corner. Will he run it in? Throw the touchdown? Here it comes!

But wait. Commotion back on the line. Apparently, you must have the ball in your hands to do either of the above. McHugh left without the ball. Pileup. Moeller kids jumping up and down. Moeller crowd going crazy. Ed's crowd deathly silent.

Future 1st round draft pick Crable gets up last with the ball. Gerry Faust wins his 1st. Ed's kids live with regret a long, long time. High school football. Sigh.
Here’s link to a Cincinnati Enquirer article written in 2018.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...ep-faith-1975-championship-season/1283412002/

In the article, Mike Currence was quoted as saying, “If I had to do it all over again, you’d better believe I’d kick it. You just watch next season. I’ll kick after every touchdown.”

I remember the Eagles scored right before halftime and was surprised when they went for two. I thought maybe their kicker was hurt. That basically forced them to go for two trailing 14-12. I just remember the pass for the two-pointer being incomplete. As a NE Ohio guy I was pulling for the Eagles but on that last drive, based on the earlier 2-point tries, I figured they would have to get the TD to win, no way they can kick a FG. I thought they were at about the Moeller 15 when the fumble happened but in any case it was a tough way to lose a title game. Of course that started Moeller's championship run.

Thank you sir.

Speaking of coach Currance, he holds a playoff distinction. Can anybody tell me what it is?

Here’s link to a Cincinnati Enquirer article written in 2018.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...ep-faith-1975-championship-season/1283412002/

In the article, Mike Currence was quoted as saying, “If I had to do it all over again, you’d better believe I’d kick it. You just watch next season. I’ll kick after every touchdown.”

I didn't read this before I responded to ESPN 990's post above. I thought the Eagles were at about the15 when the fumble happened. Thank you sir.

Eagle starters returning next season are:

Offense
Brandon White (So.) - RB*
Zach Hackleman (So.) - WR
Archer Soltis (Jr.) - OL
Sawyer Prementine (Jr.) - OL

Defense
Nate Gregory (Jr.) - LB*
Bradley Eaton (Jr.) - DB*
Jaden Woods (Jr.) - DL

Kicking
Kellen Moyer (Jr.)*

* Named to All-Ohio team

It should also be noted that junior Thomas Csanyi saw considerable action at QB this year, filling in for the injured Casey Bullock. Csanyi started two games in the regular season, as well as the first three playoff games.

Last edited:
I remember the Eagles scored right before halftime and was surprised when they went for two. I thought maybe their kicker was hurt. That basically forced them to go for two trailing 14-12. I just remember the pass for the two-pointer being incomplete. As a NE Ohio guy I was pulling for the Eagles but on that last drive, based on the earlier 2-point tries, I figured they would have to get the TD to win, no way they can kick a FG. I thought they were at about the Moeller 15 when the fumble happened but in any case it was a tough way to lose a title game. Of course that started Moeller's championship run.

Thank you sir.

Speaking of coach Currance, he holds a playoff distinction. Can anybody tell me what it is?
Yes. Currence, Lombardo and Moore are the only three coaches to lead two different teams to the state championship game.

Lombardo and Moore are the only ones to win the state championship game.

Eagle starters returning next season are:

Offense
Brandon White (So.) - RB*
Zach Hackleman (So.) - WR
Archer Soltis (Jr.) - OL
Sawyer Prementine (Jr.) - OL

Defense
Nate Gregory (Jr.) - LB*
Bradley Eaton (Jr.) - DB*
Jaden Woods (Jr.) - DL

Kicking
Kellen Moyer (Jr.)*

* Named to All-Ohio team

It should also be noted that junior Thomas Csanyi saw considerable action at QB this year, filling in for the injured Casey Bullock. Csanyi started two games in the regular season, as well as the first three playoff games.
Can you name other impact players returning that had significant playing time this year?

Yes. Currence, Lombardo and Moore are the only three coaches to lead two different teams to the state championship game.

Lombardo and Moore are the only ones to win the state championship game.

Close but not quite. Coaches Lombardo & Moore are the only two that have won titles at two different schools but there have been a few others that have led two teams to a title game.

Coach Currance has the distinction of being the first one to do so.

I can think of 4 other coaches that have led two teams to a title game. Can you name them?

Hint:

Eagles fans should know one for sure, actually two for sure. One for, one against.

Close but not quite. Coaches Lombardo & Moore are the only two that have won titles at two different schools but there have been a few others that have led two teams to a title game.

Coach Currance has the distinction of being the first one to do so.

I can think of 4 other coaches that have led two teams to a title game. Can you name them?

Hint:

Eagles fans should know one for sure, actually two for sure. One for, one against.
Douglass with Trotwood and Springfield.

Can you name other impact players returning that had significant playing time this year?
I couldn’t come up with any on offense, but the following junior reserves were impact players on defense:

TempImpactPlayers.jpg

John Gibbons is father in law to Tom Lombardo

Now that you mention it I do remember hearing that when Lombardo became the HC at Lake Catholic. Thank you sir.

One more title team coach question. This will probably be pretty easy for this group.

Which school, or schools, have been led to a title game by the most coaches? School, coaches and years and results in title game please.

Hopefully two trips to Massillon this year so we can get the Tigers back for spoiling a perfect season. Would love for them to come to Lakewood but I understand that it's ultimately their call as we're the ones desperate for games. Agree with Cherry Creek but I don't seem them coming here again. Are the rules a little more lax now with Ohio teams travelling? Maybe even a meet me halfway (kind of) game in Chicago if it's absolutely necessary. What about St. X? While I'm sure they will figure it out, it's always concerning just having 6 games, and one of them is a question mark.

Bullock having another offseason with Mason is great for this team. It's a blessing to have a guy start for 2 years and even more so having experience winning a state title leading the team. Defensively they lose two of the best players in school history but I have more than enough faith in Pappas to get them back to a high level, a lot of guys coming back as others pointed out as well.

While I know it's crazy to set goals 8 months before the season starts, the 3 peat seems to be the goal for next year. There's a huge target on this teams back, every game is going to be war.
Does Ed's have a travel limitation?

Congratulations to Ben Roebuck who was named MaxPreps 1st team all american. Truly an outstanding high school career at St. Edward. Also congratulations to Loghan Thomas who was named 2nd team all american, great addition to this talented senior class. Looking forward to his bright future.

Congratulations to Ben Roebuck who was named MaxPreps 1st team all american. Truly an outstanding high school career at St. Edward. Also congratulations to Loghan Thomas who was named 2nd team all american, great addition to this talented senior class. Looking forward to his bright future.
Brandon White was named Max Preps 1st Team Sophomore All-American. Just him and one other guy nationally in that class. Impressive. For a guy who wasn't the starter for much of the season, his rep is really growing

Also, Michael Kilbane playing in the 1st Quarter of Northwestern's Las Vegas Bowl Game vs Utah. Aidan Hubbard from Ignatius and Najee Story from Solon also seeing key action. The Cleveland Mafia is taking over in Evanston. Regarding Michael, he's had a great true freshman year, and I believe will have played the max without burning a redshirt year. Wyatt Gedeon was also expected to play in Coastal Carolina's bowl game, He also had a great true freshman year.

I need ask Dan what happened on that play the next time I talk to him.

Had an opportunity to attend a post-Christmas luncheon that included recognizing Coach Lombardo for his recent accomplishments. Many local HS coaches past and present in attendance with two notables. Bernie Kosar was a true gentleman with his time and great stories and Coach Jerry Glanville (Oilers and Falcons) also was there recognizing Tom.
Glanville was one of the funniest guys I’ve ever been around. He had great stories of the old AFC Central about the Browns, Steelers, Bengals and Oilers.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 33

St. Eds fans having watched all 3 all year how would you rate your o-linemen, namely the big 3? What I saw from OSU's last night was inexcusable. We need help, bigtime.