2023 St. Edward Football

EagleFan

Fan of Eagle
2023 Schedule
8/19 Noon N Center Grove (IN) (@ Canton Benson)
8/27 1PM H Our Lady of Good Counsel (MD)
9/2 3PM H Rock Creek Christian (MD)
9/9 4PM A Cincinnati Elder (@ The Pit)
9/15 7PM A Massillon Washington (@ Massillon PBTS)
9/23 2PM H River Rouge
9/30 7PM H St Ignatius
10/7 3PM H Football North
10/14 4PM H Archbishop Moeller
10/20 7PM A Archbishop Hoban (@ Dowed Field)

updated 6/14

Last edited:

Do we expect that the new harbin policy for Canadian teams will have any impact on scheduling Football North moving forward?

Offense will need to fill a few holes , biggest one will be RB, Bell became our big weapon and hammered teams. But with a retuning qb and our big Oline plus a few skilled guys we might be dare I say better next year.

Defense will obiv need to fill the loss by of the best de duo in recent memory if not ever but with the LBs returning and skill positions I’m sure we will be more then fine.

can’t wait to see the how the schedule shakes out. Would love to see cherry creek again if possible.

Do we expect that the new harbin policy for Canadian teams will have any impact on scheduling Football North moving forward?
I would guess so, but we will see. I am guessing Rock Creek Christian is also affected by new policy and would be no points.

I have no doubts that Eds will be fine on defense. Slater and Gregory are both stars.

I just don't see that defense being as physically dominating with those two exceptional talents on the edges graduating.

Offense will need to fill a few holes , biggest one will be RB, Bell became our big weapon and hammered teams. But with a retuning qb and our big Oline plus a few skilled guys we might be dare I say better next year.

Defense will obiv need to fill the loss by of the best de duo in recent memory if not ever but with the LBs returning and skill positions I’m sure we will be more then fine.

can’t wait to see the how the schedule shakes out. Would love to see cherry creek again if possible.
Groudle looked good in his limited opportunities this year, and I think he will have a real nice season at RB next year. Powerful north/south runner in the mold of Joey Formani from a few years back. Mason Kegarise ('25) is another name to look out for.

There is no replacing that DE combo, but with Regovich, Slaper and Gregory returning, that is a solid foundation to build on defensively. Behlan Waugh ('25) should be ready to make an impact on varsity next year. He's also a talented wrestler. Aidan Butler had 10 picks on JV this past year and could find a spot in the secondary. And don't be surprised if we see Brandon White ('26) in some capacity on either side of the football. Super talented freshman that moved up an played some JV as well.

Don't forget about sophomore Bradley Eaton. I was watching YouTube Gohio Cast. They were talking to an Ed's wrestling coach. Besides being a darn good wrestler and a DB on the football team, Eaton played varsity soccer and track as part of a 4x800 champion relay team. He earned 3 varsity letters as a freshman. I think they said he was the leading tackler this year. There are plenty of 2 sport guys but 4, that's impressive!

Last edited:
Hopefully two trips to Massillon this year so we can get the Tigers back for spoiling a perfect season. Would love for them to come to Lakewood but I understand that it's ultimately their call as we're the ones desperate for games. Agree with Cherry Creek but I don't seem them coming here again. Are the rules a little more lax now with Ohio teams travelling? Maybe even a meet me halfway (kind of) game in Chicago if it's absolutely necessary. What about St. X? While I'm sure they will figure it out, it's always concerning just having 6 games, and one of them is a question mark.

Bullock having another offseason with Mason is great for this team. It's a blessing to have a guy start for 2 years and even more so having experience winning a state title leading the team. Defensively they lose two of the best players in school history but I have more than enough faith in Pappas to get them back to a high level, a lot of guys coming back as others pointed out as well.

While I know it's crazy to set goals 8 months before the season starts, the 3 peat seems to be the goal for next year. There's a huge target on this teams back, every game is going to be war.

What’s the most high profile games St Ed’s has ever played vs national powers ??

st joe (philly)
Don bosco (NJ)
Springdale (ark)
Chimande Madonna (Florida)
Bergen catholic (NJ)
St Joe regional
Cherry creek (Colorado)

personally I’d love to see Bishop Gorman outta Las Vegas once.

the big NJ Catholics are always a tough game.

we all know the ultimate goal for the program is one of those “mythical National titles” only way to get those is to have a crazy schedule and a few power outta state schools and win your state a few yrs in a row. That being said why not take a chance a big Texas school or cali school for once.

What’s the most high profile games St Ed’s has ever played vs national powers ??

st joe (philly)
Don bosco (NJ)
Springdale (ark)
Bergen catholic (NJ)
St Joe regional
Cherry creek (Colorado)

we all know the ultimate goal for the program is one of those “mythical National titles” only way to get those is to have a crazy schedule and a few power outta state schools and win your state a few yrs in a row. That being said why not take a chance a big Texas school or cali school for once.
Don't think we've ever played St. Joseph out of Philly. We have played St. Joseph Regional (NJ) two times. The best out-of-state team the Eagles have played has to be that 2011 Don Bosco Prep team. Demolished us in the Bronx at Fordham University. That team was named national champions by at least a few of the major publications, and included a sophomore Jabrill Peppers who gave the Eagle defense nightmares. One of the better high school teams I've seen period.

st joe (philly)
Don bosco (NJ)
Springdale (ark)
Bergen catholic (NJ)
St Joe regional
Cherry creek (Colorado)

In 2015, the Eagles defeated Gilman (Baltimore) 14-13. At season's end Gilman was ranked #19 nationally, with their only loss being to St. Edward.

Don't think we've ever played St. Joseph out of Philly. We have played St. Joseph Regional (NJ) two times. The best out-of-state team the Eagles have played has to be that 2011 Don Bosco Prep team. Demolished us in the Bronx at Fordham University. That team was named national champions by at least a few of the major publications, and included a sophomore Jabrill Peppers who gave the Eagle defense nightmares. One of the better high school teams I've seen period.
The 07 St X team had to have been the best team I can remember, pretty sure they claimed the natty that year and played St Thomas Aquinas Absolutely spanked the eagles 45-0. They were loaded all over the place.

The national powers are completely different than they were when Ignatius was named for them. It's a bunch of vagabond teams and football factories now.

The national powers are completely different than they were when Ignatius was named for them. It's a bunch of vagabond teams and football factories now.

Right. I think the notion that Ed’s could realistically be awarded a mythical national championship when there are programs like IMG, Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, St. Frances, Bishop Gorman, etc. is too far-fetched.

If we didn't lose to Massillon we would've been, at the very least, in the discussion for it this year. I think the 2010 team got completely screwed when it came down to it. They were the best team in the country that year, and even the anti-Eds crowd agrees with that.

But I would agree and even go further, these national champion polls are nonsense now. There's too many, and it's an impossible metric to measure to begin with. It's not something worth getting worked up over. Yeah, I know that Bishop Gorman is a phenomenal program and IMG is a talent factory, but I don't really care about them unless we play them. Eds is the best program in the Midwest right now, and that's fine with me. The "what ifs" of the national thing delegitimize it for me.

If we didn't lose to Massillon we would've been, at the very least, in the discussion for it this year. I think the 2010 team got completely screwed when it came down to it. They were the best team in the country that year, and even the anti-Eds crowd agrees with that.

But I would agree and even go further, these national champion polls are nonsense now. There's too many, and it's an impossible metric to measure to begin with. It's not something worth getting worked up over. Yeah, I know that Bishop Gorman is a phenomenal program and IMG is a talent factory, but I don't really care about them unless we play them. Eds is the best program in the Midwest right now, and that's fine with me. The "what ifs" of the national thing delegitimize it for me.

2010 finished first in the calpreps computer poll. I believe they were top 3 in maxpreps. Those were the days prior to the widespread prevalence of “academy” schools and transfer factories. I certainly would have felt comfortable putting that team against anyone in the country that year. Now we are seeing teams with upwards of 20 power-5 kids on their rosters.

A few years back, Iggy played the Parma schools, it was kind of an 'unwritten rule' that they wouldn't embarrass those kids... Is there anyway Ed's could do that to host a local team?

I have had beers with former players from 89, 93, and 95 mythical national championship Ignatius teams. All say they would get smoked by these teams as EP01 mentioned, that are loaded with power 5 talent.

Last edited:
2010 finished first in the calpreps computer poll. I believe they were top 3 in maxpreps. Those were the days prior to the widespread prevalence of “academy” schools and transfer factories. I certainly would have felt comfortable putting that team against anyone in the country that year. Now we are seeing teams with upwards of 20 power-5 kids on their rosters.
They were ranked #2 by MaxPreps that year, behind De La Salle.

Right. I think the notion that Ed’s could realistically be awarded a mythical national championship when there are programs like IMG, Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, St. Frances, Bishop Gorman, etc. is too far-fetched.
I don't agree. St. Ed's, or Ignatius, for that matter, could install that model. St. Ed's already has a sports program that is built to pursue that national recognition. Students show up to be on that team from very far away...it's happened many times. The same could be done (at Ignatius or Ed's...or some other school) in football. I don't want that to happen at my school...I would be dead set against it, BUT...realistic? Why not?

I think quite a few D I Ohio schools that go 16-0 would be ranked quite high. But as has been discussed getting all the way to #1 would be extremely tough. Maybe on the 2nd year, a 2nd 16-0 could get you to top 3 or so.

I do not think it is a goal being discussed.

Pretty sure the 2014 team was ranked really high and we played on ESPN and smoked St Joe regional then lost back to back games before rolling everyone else.

I don’t think it’s something that couldn’t happen but like others have said , it’s a few yrs of winning combined with a buncha div1 talent and a big out out of state schedule.

I don't agree. St. Ed's, or Ignatius, for that matter, could install that model. St. Ed's already has a sports program that is built to pursue that national recognition. Students show up to be on that team from very far away...it's happened many times. The same could be done (at Ignatius or Ed's...or some other school) in football. I don't want that to happen at my school...I would be dead set against it, BUT...realistic? Why not?
Sure, if you were to presume they would go the route of a Mater Dei or John Bosco (traditional Catholic high schools whose football programs have gone nuclear). But as presently constructed, I don't see it happening. Yes, the Eagle football team is getting them from far and wide right now.....but still within the greater NEO area. There have been instances of guys coming from out of state (Brett Kean for example), but you can count them on a single hand over the past 20 years. The programs I mentioned are annually collecting talent from multi-state areas, in much more fertile talent grounds. They are not just littered with D1 college talent, but double digit Power-5 level players. Could Ed's, as currently structured, give some of these teams a game? Perhaps.