2023 St. Edward Football

Can someone from Ed's characterize the Loghan Thomas and Kyan Mason situations? Not asking for return dates or speculation of severity, just the basic category of injury.

Do we need to let time pass before talking four-peat chances? I know we have great Seniors, but there were Juniors/Sophomores out there contributing at a high level.
Give it a couple of weeks maybe? But there is talent in the program, we just won't have that massive experienced offensive line like this year.

Which of the three past state teams would you guys consider the best iteration of St. Edward in this timeframe.
2021 we had a senior class who may not have had that elite D1 talent, but really played excellent together. We saw elite juniors step up and really blossom on big stages, and saw a few big time sophomores carve out roles as well.
2022 was maybe the best combination of talent between the seniors and elite junior class. The D line this year was one of the best I’ve seen with all American talents with the likes of Kilbane and Gedeon. Then add in Regovich, Haas, and King and you have one of the best units in the nation. The O line was awesome and the passing game flashed at times.
2023 was maybe the most high-end talented senior class at least since 2014 with the big O line, Bullock, Mason, and many more big time players on either side of the ball. Adding Thomas was a huge addition to the pass rush with losing the big DEs. Guys like Gregory, Eaton, and White really stuck out to me as young guys establishing them as some of Ohio’s best.

Personally, I will choose 2022. The combination of talent between the classes was my favorite, 40.5 sacks between two Edges, and they still had that big time O line.

Let me know any thoughts or comments! Go Eagles!

Tough question. So many players understood the roles assigned to them and performed at a high level.

This years team had 3 top 25 teams according to MaxPreps on the schedule. Good Counsel, Massillon and Hoban. A lot of pressure to repeat this year with so many players returning. A few other top 50 teams at one point.

Have to give a lot of credit to CB to win as a junior. I believe he was the first junior to win at QB last year.

It’s certainly been a memorable past 3 years. Very similar to when I watched Ignatius run off 4 straight when I was a student / athlete at St. Edward.

Which of the three past state teams would you guys consider the best iteration of St. Edward in this timeframe.
2021 we had a senior class who may not have had that elite D1 talent, but really played excellent together. We saw elite juniors step up and really blossom on big stages, and saw a few big time sophomores carve out roles as well.
2022 was maybe the best combination of talent between the seniors and elite junior class. The D line this year was one of the best I’ve seen with all American talents with the likes of Kilbane and Gedeon. Then add in Regovich, Haas, and King and you have one of the best units in the nation. The O line was awesome and the passing game flashed at times.
2023 was maybe the most high-end talented senior class at least since 2014 with the big O line, Bullock, Mason, and many more big time players on either side of the ball. Adding Thomas was a huge addition to the pass rush with losing the big DEs. Guys like Gregory, Eaton, and White really stuck out to me as young guys establishing them as some of Ohio’s best.

Personally, I will choose 2022. The combination of talent between the classes was my favorite, 40.5 sacks between two Edges, and they still had that big time O line.

For what its worth, The Comp Poll (composite of seven national polls) ranked the Eagles as follows:
2021 Final: #26
2022 Final: #15
2023 on 11/28: #16
It remains to be seen what their final ranking will be.

Consistent with those rankings, I would give the nod to last year's team because of the Kilbane - Gedeon tandem.

Congrats to all the players and coaches on a wonderful season! All the respect to the Springfield community on a great game and great season; i’m sure we will meet again.

I'd rate 2022 the best, 2023 next and 2021 last. It seemed to me the Kilbane-Gedeon led defense was extraordinary. This year's greatness was lessened by the injuries to Bullock. He finally looked his old self in this year's championship. The next two years have a new curiosity about them, that being the ceiling of Brandon White. He'll never again have a line like this year. But he, in my opinion, is the best sophomore RB in school history, and may be the best ever at Ed's when it's all said and done.

I was thinking about all the championship teams we've been spoiled with today. I'd agree with 990s analysis of the 3 peat teams, 2022-2023-2021.

2010 was a special year and that team really should have been national champions, but what's done is done. I think a lot of us will put the 2010 team on a pedestal because they were the first team to finally do it. The 2014 team was outstanding as well, slightly edging out the 2015 team, though IIRC the 2015 had a better record.

But 2018 remains my favorite Eds team. That was a really gritty team that just found a way to win. I remember refreshing Joe Eitel to see if we made the playoffs at all and who we would play after the Ignatius game at the stadium. I was dismayed seeing we were 7 and Ignatius was 2. I also remember going into Benson knowing that we were the underdogs to Colerain and not expecting anything other than the dream run to end. Springfield's kickoff recovery last night reminded me of the onside kick we pulled off in that game, I thought all the momentum shifted and we were screwed.

Last night was a great game. I can't believe it's seven titles now. If you could tell 2009 me that this is what the program turned into I'd laugh in your face.

I'd rate 2022 the best, 2023 next and 2021 last. It seemed to me the Kilbane-Gedeon led defense was extraordinary. This year's greatness was lessened by the injuries to Bullock. He finally looked his old self in this year's championship. The next two years have a new curiosity about them, that being the ceiling of Brandon White. He'll never again have a line like this year. But he, in my opinion, is the best sophomore RB in school history, and may be the best ever at Ed's when it's all said and done.
Frankie Edmunds (2006) was the last super sophomore RB. Went on to Ball State which always me.

I was thinking about all the championship teams we've been spoiled with today. I'd agree with 990s analysis of the 3 peat teams, 2022-2023-2021.

2010 was a special year and that team really should have been national champions, but what's done is done. I think a lot of us will put the 2010 team on a pedestal because they were the first team to finally do it. The 2014 team was outstanding as well, slightly edging out the 2015 team, though IIRC the 2015 had a better record.

But 2018 remains my favorite Eds team. That was a really gritty team that just found a way to win. I remember refreshing Joe Eitel to see if we made the playoffs at all and who we would play after the Ignatius game at the stadium. I was dismayed seeing we were 7 and Ignatius was 2. I also remember going into Benson knowing that we were the underdogs to Colerain and not expecting anything other than the dream run to end. Springfield's kickoff recovery last night reminded me of the onside kick we pulled off in that game, I thought all the momentum shifted and we were screwed.

Last night was a great game. I can't believe it's seven titles now. If you could tell 2009 me that this is what the program turned into I'd laugh in your face.
I’m not sure if you were on Yappi in 2018 but pretty much everyone from Cincinnati, predicted Colerain to win that game. I was shocked to see the eagles pull off that upset.

Would Edmonds be Eagle fans’ pick as greatest Ed’s RB ever? Cole Gest maybe?
Think it depends on who you ask and what generation they're from. Gest was the difference maker in a state championship game win which is hard to beat. But Frankie Edmonds was pretty much the best player on the field his entire career.

There's plenty I can think of that are in the conversation, mostly thanks to coaching staffs that hate passing the ball. Reggie Terrell, Terrell Bates, Danny Enovitch, Joey Formani, Dwayne Aaron. There's plenty and I can't mention them all.

It's like asking the who the best Ignatius QB was. You'll get multiple answers but all are good.

I’m not sure if you were on Yappi in 2018 but pretty much everyone from Cincinnati, predicted Colerain to win that game. I was shocked to see the eagles pull off that upset.

In the October 26th Worthy of the Jersey podcast, Coach Lombardo provided this very eye-opening perspective that caught my attention:

“I remember in 2018, I looked at Colerain. I guarantee you, if we play Cincinnati Colerain ten times, they’d beat us nine. We beat them the one time we had to. You take everyone’s best shot just that one time. They were steamrolling everybody. They were loaded. Five of those kids started on Cincinnati against Alabama in the playoffs a couple of years ago. That team was loaded and we caught ‘em.”

Along those lines, there is a Colerain audio broadcast of the 2018 championship game available on YouTube. (They got away with pointing their camera at the scoreboard which was showing live video action.) As the second half unfolded, the Colerain broadcasters began expressing shock about two things. First, that Colerain's potent triple-option offense was unable to break any big plays against the Eagles. Second, that the Cardinal’s coach stubbornly continued to try to pound their star running back, Ivan Pace, right up the middle; they kept venting their frustration by saying something like, “I appreciate what the coach is trying to do, but it isn’t working. We have to try something different.”

In case you’re interested, here is a link to that broadcast:

Think it depends on who you ask and what generation they're from. Gest was the difference maker in a state championship game win which is hard to beat. But Frankie Edmonds was pretty much the best player on the field his entire career.

There's plenty I can think of that are in the conversation, mostly thanks to coaching staffs that hate passing the ball. Reggie Terrell, Terrell Bates, Danny Enovitch, Joey Formani, Dwayne Aaron. There's plenty and I can't mention them all.

It's like asking the who the best Ignatius QB was. You'll get multiple answers but all are good.
Cole Gest was a huge factor in winning both the 2014 and 2015 championship games. In 2014, he gained 158 yards (6.1 per carry) and scored a touchdown. In 2015, he tallied 122 yards (5.3 per carry) on the ground with two touchdowns, plus caught three passes for 102 yards.

I think Joe Portale should be added to the list of outstanding Eagle running backs.