2023 St. Edward Football

Very surprised to see Mahle and Ballough with such few receptions (3 ea). Why aren’t they a bigger part of the offense.
Same reason why Mason and Sullivan don't each have 50 catches and 10tds. Lombardo takes a heavy run first approach to set up the pass. Those TE's, when in the game, are busy blocking. Like you, I'd love to see more throws to them, but for some reason it's just not happening. I feel we'll need to throw more in weeks 13-16 if we get to each of those weeks, but I sense if Coach thinks he can bludgeon his way to week 16, that will be the approach. I certainly can't argue with his success, but I do feel against great defenses you'll need an effective passing game. And those two TE's are potential studs with their size.

Same reason why Mason and Sullivan don't each have 50 catches and 10tds. Lombardo takes a heavy run first approach to set up the pass. Those TE's, when in the game, are busy blocking. Like you, I'd love to see more throws to them, but for some reason it's just not happening. I feel we'll need to throw more in weeks 13-16 if we get to each of those weeks, but I sense if Coach thinks he can bludgeon his way to week 16, that will be the approach. I certainly can't argue with his success, but I do feel against great defenses you'll need an effective passing game. And those two TE's are potential studs with their size.
Amazing that a TE has a D1 scholarship offer but had either 1 or 2 catches. Just goes to show how recruiters look for measurables first.

Per the statistics found in Game Notes, Loghan Thomas led the Eagles in four defensive categories during the regular season: sacks (6), thrown for losses (19), quarterback hurries (19) and fumbles caused (4).

I thought we would see far more 12 personnel looks this year, using delayed releases up the seams or screens to either TE. Lombo seems pretty set in his ways which, as you mentioned, has clearly been working in the long run.

Perhaps I'm living in the past and only seeing Ignatius through the lense of faded greatness, but I believe, with Haddad and Ritt, they're the 2nd best team in R1. I see a Week #13 rematch with the Eagles. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen. The only downside is I have to watch my Eagles chase another Haddad all over the landscape.

RITT has been Ignatius best player for two years. They have finally realized he’s their most explosive player. They have his RITT as a kick returner only.
The coaching evaluation must be terrible over their. Takes us EDS family to tell Ignatius people who their best players are. Get him the ball in space and we will see you guys in round 3

Per the statistics found in Game Notes, Loghan Thomas led the Eagles in four defensive categories during the regular season: sacks (6), thrown for losses (19), quarterback hurries (19) and fumbles caused (4).

I said earlier in this thread, Logan Thomas is a generational player. He doesn’t have the sacks. For some reason teams are not trying to pass on Ed’s. But Thomas impacts the game so much it’s incredible. Watching him and the linebackers alone is worth the price of admission

Michael Kilbane narrowly missed a sack on Tagovailoa in the 2nd Qtr against Maryland, today. Good to see him playing in a Big Ten game when it matters as a true freshman.

I thought we would see far more 12 personnel looks this year, using delayed releases up the seams or screens to either TE. Lombo seems pretty set in his ways which, as you mentioned, has clearly been working in the long run.
Exactly. Can you imagine what a younger Kyle would have done with Balogh and Mahle, in a way that doesn't compete with the run game but rather, would leverage and enhance it.

I thought St. Ed's had an efficient win on Friday. Great reps for Csyani and a lot of playing time for back ups in general. Hopefully we see more of the same this Friday. I don't know much about Glenoak but every week will get harder and the Eagles will need to be ready. It looks like the weather will turn colder this week so it will feel more like an Ohio playoff game.

Going back a couple of weeks, I thought the team showed great resiliency against Hoban with their starting qb sidelined again. The defense shut down Hoban's offense and the O put together a strong drive in the 4th quarter, leaning on the big o-line. Felt it was too bad an illegal man downfield cost Sullivan one of the best catches I've seen this year.

I find that St. Ed's as a program knows that this is the money time. We don't have a conference or league to want to win, it's all about the playoffs and a chance at a state title and you see players step up in so many ways during it all. Can't wait to see how it plays out!

It’s funny watching levels of football, people don’t realize the competition that Ed’s and ignatius played all year. Each week it will ratch up 10% or more! At all divisions. But Ed’s in my opinion has the best defense in the state! And if offense can give 24 points a game rest of year. Ed’s should get a 3rd championship . Weather is changing. Points will be harder to come by

Good listen to Coach Flan and Tim Smith's interview with Lombardo prior to last weeks playoff game: https://worthy.libsyn.com/

I found it interesting that he thought (like some of us on here) we would be a two TE heavy offense this year, but the emergence of White and injury to Casey kind of re-shaped the identity of this year's team.

Regional Semi-finals set for Byers we all know how much of a wind tunnel that place can be. Passing games will have to be sharp for both teams. Defense has played well and will get another good test this weekend. Just need to cut down on penalties

The Eagle defense has been a strong element in recent weeks. I think the offense will continue to work on things with their quarterback but it was pretty windy last week and he made some ok throws, I felt Mason did a great job of looking back and making a play on balls that were caught up in the wind. The nice thing is with our offensive line, we can lean on them to set a tone and wear down people.

Looking forward to the game. The defense has made great improvements throughout the year. And our offense, with the hugh line, just wears down defenses. Should be a fun game at Byers Friday night.

Looking forward to the game. The defense has made great improvements throughout the year. And our offense, with the hugh line, just wears down defenses. Should be a fun game at Byers Friday night.
With all do respect, I thought the Moeller D was stronger at the end of the game than the Ed O-line. I also saw that defensive secondary get shredded by Moe's QB. A lot was learned from that game and I hope the two can find a way to earn a rematch. GBM 💪 🏈

Regardless of the QB used, the Eagles have found a tad more success with the passing game as the season has matured. Couple that with an explosive RB that has emerged and their O is more complicated to defend. A healthy Bullock simply makes the running game more dangerous.

The D appears to have solved their problems up the middle with better safety play. This allows Eaton to play CB and remain isolated on the opposing O's best wide-out option. Better D scheme will help with some of the pass defense issues as exhibited against some opponents. This D is becoming more formidable as the post season progresses.

Go Eagles!

I thought the Eagles played a pretty complete game last night. Lot's a penalties against the Eagles, it will be interesting to see how many and how many yards. It's interesting that Drew Pasteur now has the Eagles ranked #1 in his fantastic 50 rankings.

Looking forward to the semi-final game against Hilliard Bradley, should be a good one.

I thought the Eagles played a pretty complete game last night. Lot's a penalties against the Eagles, it will be interesting to see how many and how many yards. It's interesting that Drew Pasteur now has the Eagles ranked #1 in his fantastic 50 rankings.

Looking forward to the semi-final game against Hilliard Bradley, should be a good one.
Sorry if I missed it, but did they announce where the Hilliard game will be?

What’s the definition of a good one? This is a complete mismatch. Eds will have this one wrapped up after the 1st qtr.

Bradley has a QB that throws a ton...but is also their leading rusher. Similar to Medina. One thing I noticed last Brandon White looked alot more explosive running the ball. I was a little disappointed in the size of the crowd. But cold weather and live TV makes for a smaller crowd on both sides