2023 St. Edward Football

Clarkson is big upfront. They have one player committed to Eastern Michigan. Two others on the line are also getting D1 mid major looks. This can game could be a measuring stick for week 10 vs SIHS

I would assume that CH, Medina and McKinley are the biggest challenges to Eds in R1. Yet, I just don't get the CH/Medina programs. What is going on with the idea of playing defense?

It will be interesting to see how Eds deals with Stoddard's passing and CH rushing. Yet, tonight I'm left scratching my head. What was that????
Running clock. Stoddard will not have anytime to throw and Cleve hts one dimensional won't gain 100 yards. Neither will be much of a game I'm afraid.

Running clock. Stoddard will not have anytime to throw and Cleve hts one dimensional won't gain 100 yards. Neither will be much of a game I'm afraid.
Massillon was one dimensional and we couldn’t stop them the entire second half and we knew what was coming!

I was not impressed with our defense today. We gave up way too many yards especially on the QB draw. Repeated 10 yard chunks. Looked like Massillon Part II.
We were fortunate Logan Thomas got a big sack at the end of the 1st half or it could have been 21-14 at the half with them getting the ball to start the third.
Casey played well (he’s still not running) but he missed some wide open guys in the 3rd quarter. It took a trick play to get the TD that put the game away. A screen to Kyan Mason who then threw deep to the sophomore wideout for a TD. Our defense does play well in red zone, and Football North is a quality team, but our D will have to come around if we’re going to make a run.

I was not impressed with our defense today. We gave up way too many yards especially on the QB draw. Repeated 10 yard chunks. Looked like Massillon Part II.
We were fortunate Logan Thomas got a big sack at the end of the 1st half or it could have been 21-14 at the half with them getting the ball to start the third.
Casey played well (he’s still not running) but he missed some wide open guys in the 3rd quarter. It took a trick play to get the TD that put the game away. A screen to Kyan Mason who then threw deep to the sophomore wideout for a TD. Our defense does play well in red zone, and Football North is a quality team, but our D will have to come around if we’re going to make a run.
At least they gave you what the rivalry game couldn't, competition.

At least they gave you what the rivalry game couldn't, competition.
Yes, I understand your frustration.

I shouldn't be so down on my Eagle defense. The starters only gave up 7 to a quality opponent. But when you see these QB draws over and over picking up 10 yard chunks you have to be concerned knowing Moeller and Hoban are the next two opponents. In the end, those games won't matter on getting into the playoffs, but playing well on D will be important to set the tone for weeks 13-15 if we get that far.

I'd tell the Wildcats to put a spy on that #12 QB Football North QB. He can sling it and he's got great ball skills and running ability. He doesn't look like much physically, but he's very deceptive and productive.

Yes, I understand your frustration.

I shouldn't be so down on my Eagle defense. The starters only gave up 7 to a quality opponent. But when you see these QB draws over and over picking up 10 yard chunks you have to be concerned knowing Moeller and Hoban are the next two opponents. In the end, those games won't matter on getting into the playoffs, but playing well on D will be important to set the tone for weeks 13-15 if we get that far.

I'd tell the Wildcats to put a spy on that #12 QB Football North QB. He can sling it and he's got great ball skills and running ability. He doesn't look like much physically, but he's very deceptive and productive.
Maybe Franzinger should put on a helmet and be the spy. The rest of the team should just call it a year on the coaches

Actually, it was Brandon White who threw the 32-yard TD pass to Zach Hackleman (both sophomores), making it 28-7 after the PAT.

Actually, it was Brandon White who threw the 32-yard TD pass to Zach Hackleman (both sophomores), making it 28-7 after the PAT.
Thanks for the correction. I guess Kyan's celebration in the end zone after the play won me over and made me think I saw things I didn't see! 🤔

And to your point, I know there's a lot of talk about Ignatius playing young players for the future, but from what I've seen I think our young guys are really producing now. Especially those two.

Thanks for the correction. I guess Kyan's celebration in the end zone after the play won me over and made me think I saw things I didn't see! 🤔

And to your point, I know there's a lot of talk about Ignatius playing young players for the future, but from what I've seen I think our young guys are really producing now. Especially those two.
It’s easy to see which school’s young players are better.

Its been a busy year and I have not had the opportunity to comment much, but briefly...

Offensively: I think you will see this offense at its best in week 12 on, should the Eagles advance that far. The staff will limit Bullock's running ability until the post season. However, the emergence of White and the ongoing development of the passing game will only make this offense more difficult to defend when Bullock's legs are 'in play' again. Both Moeller and Hoban will stack the box, much like Massillon did, to make the Eagles one dimensional in weeks 9 and 10. Keeping Casey healthy should be the goal through week 11.

Defensively: This team has been susceptible to running QB's all season. Eventually they will need to commit to 'spying' the QB by one of the ILB to take away this threat. They have also been prone to give up a long run or two in each contest... moving Eaton to a CB role takes away his ability to impact both hashes from his SS role. The staff believes they have the best 11 on the field on D and Eaton is best served in his CB role this season. However, opposing D's game scheme away from him. He was a very 'sure' tackler in the middle of the field in 2022.

Go Eagles!

Two huge weeks coming up for the Eagles vs Moeller and Hoban. Unofficially fourth in the region. If the playoffs were to start this week. It would be a rematch with St. Ignatius.

Does St. Ed still have the TV thing with Bally Sports? If so, local broadcast only?
You can follow St Edward football here. Just scroll down for the service that streams the broadcast. I also recommend clicking on the game notes for some great background information.

Finally got a chance to watch the game, and I'd echo your overall concerns with the defense. Understanding that not every team we will face over the remainder or the regular season and playoffs will have a running threat at the QB position, our complete inability to defend or adjust in game to QB runs is head-scratching. Aside from Logan Thomas who had another great game and single-handedly thwarted a TD drive that ended up with a blocked FG attempt, the rest of the DL is simply underwhelming (including Northwestern commit Regovich). They do not get off blocks well and don't take away run lanes. Opposing offensive lines are getting to the second level far too much and getting hats on our LB's, leading to the chunk run plays. Also don't like what I'm seeing from the LB's on their initial reads. Gregory and Slaper are both studs, but when your first step is in the wrong direction, its hard to make up the ground all the time. This is a coaching issue that needs cleaned up as I believe both players are naturally instinctive in terms of locating the football. The reality may be that this is just a bend but don't break defense this year. As you said '73, the first team only gave up 7 points. You'll take that every day. However, Jordan Marshall and company coming to town has me worried.

Offensively, still no read option or designed runs for Bullock against North. Precautionary (and probably necessary) measure. He did look good moving around and escaping pressure. Some errant throws early on, but settled in nicely after the first few series. I still don't like the stretch throws to the sidelines. Too slow developing as Bullock doesn't deliver the ball fast enough. They get blown up far too much for my liking. We have receivers that can get vertical. Lets stick with that. The sophomore Hackleman continues to impress. I like using him and Sullivan on the deeper routes with the shiftier Mason working the underneath middle.

How does moellers offense look besides marshall?
A Sophomore pocket passer that has a very good arm but may not be the threat to run the way CB has. A stable of running backs that spell JM from time to time. One is a Senior and the other is a Sophomore. Three D-1 tight ends, All with offers. One is a Senior and the other two are Sophomores. A trio of very good wide outs with speed and good hands, they are #11, #13, and #14. One is a Senior and the other two are Juniors. This is a very young Crusader team by standard. The offensive line has one Senior starter. They have been improving every game and are playing their best ball coming into this game. If the weather is as forecast, I look for Moeller to run and run some more. There is no doubt that they will continue to improve over the next few weeks. JM is an absolute stud as you well know. He consistently runs over and through defenders. If you don't make contact with him at or behind the line of scrimmage he will undoubtedly be the difference maker. He is also one of their leading receivers. It takes more than one defender to keep him from adding positive yardage after the initial contact. I am sure the Ed's coaches and players know everything I have pointed out here. They should not be surprised by any of this. The team that can minimize their mistakes and capitalize on the inclement weather will come out the winner. Moeller's Achilles' heel has been pre snap penalties. They do a lot of shifting and make pre snap adjustments based on the defensive alignment. Their ability to get set and avoid the pre snap violations will be a tell tale sign of preparedness and focus. GBM 💪 🏈

A Sophomore pocket passer that has a very good arm but may not be the threat to run the way CB has. A stable of running backs that spell JM from time to time. One is a Senior and the other is a Sophomore. Three D-1 tight ends, All with offers. One is a Senior and the other two are Sophomores. A trio of very good wide outs with speed and good hands, they are #11, #13, and #14. One is a Senior and the other two are Juniors. This is a very young Crusader team by standard. The offensive line has one Senior starter. They have been improving every game and are playing their best ball coming into this game. If the weather is as forecast, I look for Moeller to run and run some more. There is no doubt that they will continue to improve over the next few weeks. JM is an absolute stud as you well know. He consistently runs over and through defenders. If you don't make contact with him at or behind the line of scrimmage he will undoubtedly be the difference maker. He is also one of their leading receivers. It takes more than one defender to keep him from adding positive yardage after the initial contact. I am sure the Ed's coaches and players know everything I have pointed out here. They should not be surprised by any of this. The team that can minimize their mistakes and capitalize on the inclement weather will come out the winner. Moeller's Achilles' heel has been pre snap penalties. They do a lot of shifting and make pre snap adjustments based on the defensive alignment. Their ability to get set and avoid the pre snap violations will be a tell tale sign of preparedness and focus. GBM 💪 🏈
Well written assessment. Eds has struggled this year vs the run. The DL is not as big and athletic across the board as the line has been in the past two years. Although he occasionally puts his hand down at DE, the ND recruit, #9 Logan Thomas, is really an OLB. So, we've struggled unlike in past years against the run. In addition, the DC likes to use a lot of blitz packages that (at times) get LBs and DBs out of running lanes resulting in big gains if a run is called to their vacated location. Eds may have to move some guys to the box, (unlike in past years), to try to slow down JM. We won't stop him, just need to make him earn what yards he gets and hope for some stops on downs. Eds offense will likely be somewhat limited by the QB's ongong recovery, but we have playmakers across the board that can put a lot of pressure on any defense. I think we're looking at a rainy forecast. Running the ball would seem the logical option for both squads, but we'll see. I agree mistakes and turnovers will go a long way in deciding this one. Would love to see a week 16 rematch if my Eagles are lucky and fortunate enough to get there.