2023 Northern Buckeye Conference

Who wins the 2023 Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Eastwood

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Genoa

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maumee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Oak Harbor

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Otsego

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A few predictions.

I do think Lindke will be at SFS next season. It makes sense for him to want to get back to one of the Catholic League teams. No hate to him, he’s a very good coach and I respect him. But I promise you, he will be the next coach at St. Francis de Sales.

I would not be surprised to see Todd Drusback stepped down. Rossford doesn’t really have a great future ahead and he’s already accomplished enough to say he had a good career.

A Coordinator that could be replaced would be Lake’s DC. Maumee’s OC and mayb one of Oak Harbors coordinators.

For Otsego, I belive their next coach will be one of these 3: Devin Radcliff (BG), Ken Brandon (Napoleon), or Matt Bryan (Liberty Center).

For Rossford, I believe their coach will be someone from the current coaching staff or a Perrysburg coach like Todd Sims
You're prediction on Lindke sounds more like you know from the inside instead of guessing lol

Rossford surprises me some. Drusback could be a toss up year to year at this point. They are in a tough spot location wise but facilities continue to upgrade. If they start to turn things around even just a little I could see them getting kids.

Lakes DC and Maumee OC after one year of new leadership? I would think they would give it one more to try and figure it out. Both teams will take another step up next year and they very well could in both of those spots without replacing coaches.

Odds between those three going to the Knights? How many coaches did Lindke keep the past couple years from Dzeirwa? Any of them have potential to take over the job?

You're prediction on Lindke sounds more like you know from the inside instead of guessing lol

Rossford surprises me some. Drusback could be a toss up year to year at this point. They are in a tough spot location wise but facilities continue to upgrade. If they start to turn things around even just a little I could see them getting kids.

Lakes DC and Maumee OC after one year of new leadership? I would think they would give it one more to try and figure it out. Both teams will take another step up next year and they very well could in both of those spots without replacing coaches.

Odds between those three going to the Knights? How many coaches did Lindke keep the past couple years from Dzeirwa? Any of them have potential to take over the job?
I’ll say this: I don’t know enough to draw conclusions but enough for assumptions.

I think Drusback could take a year off. Don’t think he’s done coaching, but I can see him leaving Rossford.

Maumee’s OC was great and I was more so talking about him getting a head coach job. Lake’s DC on the other hand I’m not so sure. I understand it was 1 year but allowing 40 PPG may raise a few questions about their defense. The coordinators from Oak Harbor would likely only leave if there was a 10/10 job offer for them.

I’m sure some of the Otsego staff will apply to the head job, most to at least stay on the roster, but Otsego may want someone new from a great program like Liberty or Napoleon.

Heard Fostorias coach was looking for a new job. Something along the lines of special teams coordinator or defense.

Can we get a debate on where Oak Harbor vs Liberty Center will be played at?? My top 3 best neutral locations are BGHS, Perrysburg, or Maumee
Has Maumee ever hosted before? Parking there is not ideal

Perrysburg would be nice.

Lake maybe? I believe Liberty Center and Oak Harbor have played there before.

Can we get a debate on where Oak Harbor vs Liberty Center will be played at?? My top 3 best neutral locations are BGHS, Perrysburg, or Maumee
Perrysburg loves hosting playoff games. BG did, but after last years Eastwood/Elmwood game they were upset at the mess that was left with confetti. My opinion would be Perrysburg

Perrysburg makes the most sense. Compared to Lake and BG they have grey seating for both sides and plenty of standing room. Big complaint last year for BG was not enough space for the crowd that showed up for Eastwood/Elmwood. Both LC and Oak Harbor travel well and both communities live for their football teams.

Oak Harbor vs Liberty Center at Clay Memorial Stadium at Ted Federici Field (Clay High School)

Let’s get the obvious out of the way: Not exactly where I expected the game to be. Patrick Henry and Hopewell-Loudon got BG, but there wasn’t really a reason not to go with Perrysburg (unless they declined the offer to host).

Oak Harbor has been a dominant force all year long, lead by back of the year Jaqui Hayward and linemen of the year Jacob Ridener. The Rockets are coming off a 41-7 win over Highland, a team that was battle tested and upset the 5 seeded Liberty-Benton Eagles a week prior. Oak Harbor’s best wins have come against NBC foes Eastwood (35-21) and Genoa (21-0).

Liberty Center has been the equivalent of putting Georgia in the MAC. Led by a hard nosed run attack Colton Kruse and a dominant defense that has outscored their opponents by an average of 42 points. Their best wins have come against Archbold (42-14) and Napoleon (47-6).

If Oak Harbor wants to win, they’re going to have to play the best 4 quarters of football they’ve played all season. If they want to make it out of the entire region, this may be the toughest game of football they’ll have to play all the way up until the state finals. They’re going to have to be able to put together drives against LC and stop their rushing attack.

Another aspect to this game: Do we go 0-7 against the NWOAL in 2023? Is our league down this year compared to other conferences in Northwest Ohio? Or is the NWOAL just that good??

My prediction for this game: Oak Harbor spends the first half keeping it somewhat close, but the physicality of their rushing attack and their hard hitting defense will pull away in the 2nd half, knocking the NBC out of the playoffs and send Coach Mike May to the drawing board this offseason, looking for ways to get his team back there next year.

Liberty Center 41-14

Oak Harbor vs Liberty Center at Clay Memorial Stadium at Ted Federici Field (Clay High School)

Let’s get the obvious out of the way: Not exactly where I expected the game to be. Patrick Henry and Hopewell-Loudon got BG, but there wasn’t really a reason not to go with Perrysburg (unless they declined the offer to host).

Oak Harbor has been a dominant force all year long, lead by back of the year Jaqui Hayward and linemen of the year Jacob Ridener. The Rockets are coming off a 41-7 win over Highland, a team that was battle tested and upset the 5 seeded Liberty-Benton Eagles a week prior. Oak Harbor’s best wins have come against NBC foes Eastwood (35-21) and Genoa (21-0).

Liberty Center has been the equivalent of putting Georgia in the MAC. Led by a hard nosed run attack Colton Kruse and a dominant defense that has outscored their opponents by an average of 42 points. Their best wins have come against Archbold (42-14) and Napoleon (47-6).

If Oak Harbor wants to win, they’re going to have to play the best 4 quarters of football they’ve played all season. If they want to make it out of the entire region, this may be the toughest game of football they’ll have to play all the way up until the state finals. They’re going to have to be able to put together drives against LC and stop their rushing attack.

Another aspect to this game: Do we go 0-7 against the NWOAL in 2023? Is our league down this year compared to other conferences in Northwest Ohio? Or is the NWOAL just that good??

My prediction for this game: Oak Harbor spends the first half keeping it somewhat close, but the physicality of their rushing attack and their hard hitting defense will pull away in the 2nd half, knocking the NBC out of the playoffs and send Coach Mike May to the drawing board this offseason, looking for ways to get his team back there next year.

Liberty Center 41-14
I would say it’s safe to say this year the NWOAL is a better conference. Even last year I thought they were better top to bottom. But that stuff changes every 2-3 years as different classes and kids come and go.

The NBC really has no where to go but up. They have quite a few teams that are in rebuilds (Maumee, Lake and Rossford?!). Oak Harbor will be Oak Harbor next year, Eastwood likely good again. I think Genoa is still probably a 6-7 win team. Maumee likely becomes a 6-7 win team as well next season. Lake should be improved and a 5 win team. Otsego and Rossford are on declines. Fostoria is Fostoria. But every conference has one of those teams.

As for the NWOAL, Liberty Center and Archbold will always be good. Wauseon is similar to Genoa. Patrick Henry and Bryan will take a step back next season because they had a ton of seniors and then Evergreen, Swanton and Delta really haven’t been consistently good at football for quite sometime.

If you went down the top and bottom, it’s closer than you would think:

- LC vs Oak Harbor (we will see on Friday, but I think it’s LC by 2 scores)

- Archbold vs. Eastwood (think this would be a coin flip, I believe they scrimmaged before the season and it was tied at half 14-14).

- Patrick Henry vs. Genoa (Genoa would likely be a slight favorite)

- Wauseon vs. Otsego (Wauseon favored big)

- Bryan vs. Maumee (played this year and it was a 1 score game)

- Evergreen vs. Lake (Another 50/50 game)

- Delta vs. Fostoria (Delta favored)

- Swanton vs Rossford (Rossford favored, played last season and Rossford won big. Swanton might be the worst team in NW Ohio).

So at best, the NBC would be 4-4 (wins: Eastwood, Genoa, Lake, Rossford) against the NWOAL if you matched up based on league standings. The leagues are similar outside of Liberty Center being strides above everyone else.

I would be curious what others have to say.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone will step away from Oak Harbor at least after this season. They still have plenty of talent left in the system.
I also don't think Todd Drusback will. He may leave Rossford, but I don't think he's ready to step away from the game.
At this point, if he leaves, it would be of mutual benefit. Todd is a quality human being, one of the best. He's undoubtedly made a positive impact on a lot of kids and he's not some idiot head coach. He knows the game well and at times he's done more with less, but he has been consistently only around 4-6 wins; he underachieved (4 wins) with some good talent in '22, and this year was abhorrent. Defenses have been average at best, and really bad most of his tenure. Lately, it appears he's not "all in" at Rossford. The time and effort seem to be lacking, from both the players and sadly, the coaching staff. Maybe living in Fremont and having kids going to school there is taking a toll? The weight program is abysmal, even with new facilities. The culture within the program (hell, pervasive throughout Rossford athletics) isn't where it should be at this point in his tenure. He's always been a player's coach, not the traditional hard assed disciplinarian. IMO, he's gone too far with it and he's lost the program. Things are too loose and it shows with sloppy play on the field (not to mention what had to be a school record for personal fouls from 2021-2022) and now it appears accepting losing has become ingrained in the culture. A fresh look and vibe are warranted so, I think Rossford needs to clean house. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would say it’s safe to say this year the NWOAL is a better conference. Even last year I thought they were better top to bottom. But that stuff changes every 2-3 years as different classes and kids come and go.

The NBC really has no where to go but up. They have quite a few teams that are in rebuilds (Maumee, Lake and Rossford?!). Oak Harbor will be Oak Harbor next year, Eastwood likely good again. I think Genoa is still probably a 6-7 win team. Maumee likely becomes a 6-7 win team as well next season. Lake should be improved and a 5 win team. Otsego and Rossford are on declines. Fostoria is Fostoria. But every conference has one of those teams.

As for the NWOAL, Liberty Center and Archbold will always be good. Wauseon is similar to Genoa. Patrick Henry and Bryan will take a step back next season because they had a ton of seniors and then Evergreen, Swanton and Delta really haven’t been consistently good at football for quite sometime.

If you went down the top and bottom, it’s closer than you would think:

- LC vs Oak Harbor (we will see on Friday, but I think it’s LC by 2 scores)

- Archbold vs. Eastwood (think this would be a coin flip, I believe they scrimmaged before the season and it was tied at half 14-14).

- Patrick Henry vs. Genoa (Genoa would likely be a slight favorite)

- Wauseon vs. Otsego (Wauseon favored big)

- Bryan vs. Maumee (played this year and it was a 1 score game)

- Evergreen vs. Lake (Another 50/50 game)

- Delta vs. Fostoria (Delta favored)

- Swanton vs Rossford (Rossford favored, played last season and Rossford won big. Swanton might be the worst team in NW Ohio).

So at best, the NBC would be 4-4 (wins: Eastwood, Genoa, Lake, Rossford) against the NWOAL if you matched up based on league standings. The leagues are similar outside of Liberty Center being strides above everyone else.

I would be curious what others have to say.
Eastwood lost to Wauseon, who was beaten by 3 scores by Archbold, I don’t see it as a coin flip. Archbold is at minimum 2 scores better than Eastwood

Genoa PH would be a coin flip

Lake not beating any team from either league, other than teams nicknamed Bulldogs.

The NWOAL imo, year in year out is a better league top to bottom, in almost every sport, but most especially in football.

Has Maumee ever hosted before? Parking there is not ideal

Perrysburg would be nice.

Lake maybe? I believe Liberty Center and Oak Harbor have played there before.
Maumee couldn't host because of parking.

I heard it was at clay. Is that any better? I was really hoping for perrysburg

At this point, if he leaves, it would be of mutual benefit. Todd is a quality human being, one of the best. He's undoubtedly made a positive impact on a lot of kids and he's not some idiot head coach. He knows the game well and at times he's done more with less, but he has been consistently only around 4-6 wins; he underachieved (4 wins) with some good talent in '22, and this year was abhorrent. Defenses have been average at best, and really bad most of his tenure. Lately, it appears he's not "all in" at Rossford. The time and effort seem to be lacking, from both the players and sadly, the coaching staff. Maybe living in Fremont and having kids going to school there is taking a toll? The weight program is abysmal, even with new facilities. The culture within the program (hell, pervasive throughout Rossford athletics) isn't where it should be at this point in his tenure. He's always been a player's coach, not the traditional hard assed disciplinarian. IMO, he's gone too far with it and he's lost the program. Things are too loose and it shows with sloppy play on the field (not to mention what had to be a school record for personal fouls from 2021-2022) and now it appears accepting losing has become ingrained in the culture. A fresh look and vibe are warranted so, I think Rossford needs to clean house. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sounded like Maumee a year ago. They get a new lifting program and new coaching staff. Coaches with respectable resumes who wanna win. All it takes is these kids to believe.

so just a question, what would you guys rate in order of best coached team? witch team has the most disipline? and what teams can you guys seeing improving and not improving?
Best coached is a toss up, but discipline
The top are Oak Eastwood and Genoa very classy teams not many penalties.
Middle of the pack is Maumee Lake and Otsego are Pretty respectful teams and penalties from inexpirience and overall lack of discipline
bottom of the barrel
Rossford and Fostoria most kids are classy but the classless ones ruin it, and to top it off they get a lot of penalties

Got to admit, it’s pretty funny that Eastwood got ran over by a Wing T style team. So it turns out that it is a pretty good way to run an offense? lol
Edison is primarily an option offense, veer & mid-line, with a passing game out of shotgun.

I never thought of that as Wing-T style.

45-14 Liberty Center over Oak Harbor.

Liberty Center did something no team has seen this far: throwing the football. Play action killed the Rockets defense tonight. They finish 12-1 on the season, and end the NBC’s playoff teams.

Great season from Oak Harbor, and no doubt they’ll be heavy NBC favorites next year and likely 10-0 again.

With this loss, the NBC’s football season is over and won’t return for 286 days. So, why don’t we discuss the some things. For Example:

Best QB: Aiden Brunkhorst
Best HC: Mike May
Best Game: Maumee @ Rossford
Brightest Future: Maumee
Hot Seat: Derek Kidwell