2023 Northern Buckeye Conference

Who wins the 2023 Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Eastwood

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Genoa

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maumee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Oak Harbor

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Otsego

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just 2 things:
Less random "NWOsomething" accounts. (Maybe a 24-48 hour waiting period before being able to post after registering an account).
Less coach ridicule and speculation. (There's a coaching shortage, please apply and they will gladly take your help).

I wish you would post less, Nick.

it is a message board website. People are going to be negative and post rumors. That’s what happens on message boards.

Oak Harbor 49 Otsego 14

Eastwood 45 Marion Pleasant 20

Huron 27 Genoa 21

Pretty damn close on two of those and way off on one. Otsego punched one in on the Oak Harbor JV defense on the last play of the game otherwise you’d have been dead on for Oak Harbor.

I like the way the Witter kid runs the ball. Good center of gravity keeps his legs moving with his shoulder down. Impressive back

If Oak Harbor had played more four quarter games this year. Hayward would easily surpass a thousand yards rushing and receiving. What a unique and talented player that kid is.

Pretty damn close on two of those and way off on one. Otsego punched one in on the Oak Harbor JV defense on the last play of the game otherwise you’d have been dead on for Oak Harbor.

I like the way the Witter kid runs the ball. Good center of gravity keeps his legs moving with his shoulder down. Impressive back

If Oak Harbor had played more four quarter games this year. Hayward would easily surpass a thousand yards rushing and receiving. What a unique and talented player that kid is.
Only one that surprised me was the Marion Pleasant v Eastwood score. Did anyone go to that that could give a breakdown. The 0 points for MP doesn’t really surprise me. I was expecting more points out of Eastwood.

Only one that surprised me was the Marion Pleasant v Eastwood score. Did anyone go to that that could give a breakdown. The 0 points for MP doesn’t really surprise me. I was expecting more points out of Eastwood.

Two big plays were the difference. Eastwood has the ability and explosiveness to hit on those. Both defenses forced some turnover over on downs as well.

Congrats to both Oak Harbor and Eastwood making it to round two. It seems like the league was really down this year with the exception of these two schools. I was really expecting more out of Genoa and, to a lesser extent, Otsego. Adding almost anyone over Woodmore makes the rest of the leagues schedule tougher and I think Maumee is also going to be a much more consistently competitive program in the league than Elmwood. That said, I stick with my above statement that the overall quality of football this year was down.

Oak Harbor v Highland. This seems to be a good matchup for OH. They’re the real deal and we’re hands down the best team in the league this year. Before I start in on Highland, Liberty Benton has to be the most overrated team in North West Ohio year in and year out. The Scots got a great draw and completed the “upset.” Highland has a really good back. The Nauman kid is big and has nice speed. Other than that, I don’t think they have much in the way of weapons. Their defense also gives up points. I think Oak Harbor handles them.

Eastwood v Edison. I think this could be closer than most would think. I was surprised Eastwood only put up 14 on Pleasant, but if they’re offense is clicking, they could give Edison some trouble. That said, I still think Edison wins by two scores.

Congrats to both Oak Harbor and Eastwood making it to round two. It seems like the league was really down this year with the exception of these two schools. I was really expecting more out of Genoa and, to a lesser extent, Otsego. Adding almost anyone over Woodmore makes the rest of the leagues schedule tougher and I think Maumee is also going to be a much more consistently competitive program in the league than Elmwood. That said, I stick with my above statement that the overall quality of football this year was down.

Oak Harbor v Highland. This seems to be a good matchup for OH. They’re the real deal and we’re hands down the best team in the league this year. Before I start in on Highland, Liberty Benton has to be the most overrated team in North West Ohio year in and year out. The Scots got a great draw and completed the “upset.” Highland has a really good back. The Nauman kid is big and has nice speed. Other than that, I don’t think they have much in the way of weapons. Their defense also gives up points. I think Oak Harbor handles them.

Eastwood v Edison. I think this could be closer than most would think. I was surprised Eastwood only put up 14 on Pleasant, but if they’re offense is clicking, they could give Edison some trouble. That said, I still think Edison wins by two scores.

I foresee a running clock potentially in Oak Harbor/Highland game. Rockets appear to have everyone back now. Only issue is if they are possibly looking ahead to next week against Liberty Center.

Eastwood/Edison will come down to if Eastwood can stop the run and if Edison can limit big plays by Eastwood. Edison has two really good players in Medina (QB) and Finnen, both over 1000yd rushers. They have another back who's very suitable as well who has ran for over 500yds. Eastwood definitely has some athletes of their run but I think their hands will be full this week. I see Edison winning by 16-17 points.

Edison has some games on Youtube

I can't really agree with this statement. The SLL/NBC rarely has been a "great" football league to be honest. Usually only 2-3 teams are "Top 8/Playoff" caliber in this conference, the fact that you had really good Oak Harbor & Eastwood teams with a solid Genoa is better than most years. Elmwood is a damn shame, they used to be such a basketball/baseball power.

I would have to agree with this about the league being down at least for this year.

Oak Harbor did what we expected them to do. No real surprise in them winning the league outright but no a lot of competition on the way there.

Eastwood was a pretty big surprise. Compared to Otsego last year and Lake this year, Cotterman's staff did a great job implementing the spread in year one to a team that has never done anything but the wing-t.

Genoa was kind of a let down. Expected bigger things from them. Yes they held OH to 21 but weren't able to score. I saw them play twice and both games the ran wing-t 95% of the time. I would have thought spread would have been better for them this year. How many games did they prioritize spread compared to wing-t?

Otsego for me was a disappointment. A team that returned a lot of talent similar to Genoa that should have been on par with Eastwood, at least, really wasn't much. They beat all the lesser teams they played and anyone up to their caliber they fell short to.

Maumee was another nice surprise. Did expect them to be where they were year one. They might be a top 3 team next year. Injuries hurt them week 10 or I think they are playing week 11 and Otsego doesn't endure another lose to OH.

Fostoria had the athletes. Their QB getting hurt didn't help the end of the season. Fostoria has the talent but seems like they are behind every year. I don't want to say it coaching but what going to get them competitive in the league?

Lake for me was a let down. They returned a lot up front for O and D. I thought maybe they would control a couple games better that they did. I think they take a big step next year.

Rossford... What can we say. If Eckel doesn't get hurt week one are they any better? Arguably one of their best athletes outside of Kirkman. I don't expect them to be much different next year. Unfortunately for them they might end up in the same spot.

My way too early 2024 NBC picks...

1a. Oak Harbor
1b. Eastwood
3. Maumee
4. Genoa
5a. Lake
5b. Otsego
7. Fostoria
8. Rossford

I would have to agree with this about the league being down at least for this year.

Oak Harbor did what we expected them to do. No real surprise in them winning the league outright but no a lot of competition on the way there.

Eastwood was a pretty big surprise. Compared to Otsego last year and Lake this year, Cotterman's staff did a great job implementing the spread in year one to a team that has never done anything but the wing-t.

Genoa was kind of a let down. Expected bigger things from them. Yes they held OH to 21 but weren't able to score. I saw them play twice and both games the ran wing-t 95% of the time. I would have thought spread would have been better for them this year. How many games did they prioritize spread compared to wing-t?

Otsego for me was a disappointment. A team that returned a lot of talent similar to Genoa that should have been on par with Eastwood, at least, really wasn't much. They beat all the lesser teams they played and anyone up to their caliber they fell short to.

Maumee was another nice surprise. Did expect them to be where they were year one. They might be a top 3 team next year. Injuries hurt them week 10 or I think they are playing week 11 and Otsego doesn't endure another lose to OH.

Fostoria had the athletes. Their QB getting hurt didn't help the end of the season. Fostoria has the talent but seems like they are behind every year. I don't want to say it coaching but what going to get them competitive in the league?

Lake for me was a let down. They returned a lot up front for O and D. I thought maybe they would control a couple games better that they did. I think they take a big step next year.

Rossford... What can we say. If Eckel doesn't get hurt week one are they any better? Arguably one of their best athletes outside of Kirkman. I don't expect them to be much different next year. Unfortunately for them they might end up in the same spot.

1a. Oak Harbor
1b. Eastwood
3. Maumee
4. Genoa
5a. Lake
5b. Otsego
7. Fostoria
8. Rossford
Rossford by years end was playing freshmen and sophomores.....not saying they will improve much but they will not finish last.

Rossford by years end was playing freshmen and sophomores.....not saying they will improve much but they will not finish last.

Rossford gave up 40 points a game this year. Unless those freshmen/sophomores quickly turn into TJ Watt I think they will still be near the bottom. Their 4 best offensive skill guys all graduate as well.

Rossford gave up 40 points a game this year. Unless those freshmen/sophomores quickly turn into TJ Watt I think they will still be near the bottom. Their 4 best offensive skill guys all graduate as well.
The few games I saw, they will not miss anyone on the offense

I agree. Maybe not last, but they for sure will be a bottom 3 team.

I agree. Maybe not last, but they for sure will be a bottom 3 team.
I think they'll be bottom two with Fostoria. Fostoria returns their QB but lose some skilled talent and size in those positions. Otsego and Lake will be another tier above them probably. Otsego loses a lot from their senior class but I think if the system stays the same they be ok. Defense might be their strength again. We'll have to see what Lake does. They return talent but defensively if they are like they were this year they be playing in shootouts every week. Kids will fall apart if that has to happen.

Last edited:
I foresee a running clock potentially in Oak Harbor/Highland game. Rockets appear to have everyone back now. Only issue is if they are possibly looking ahead to next week against Liberty Center.

Eastwood/Edison will come down to if Eastwood can stop the run and if Edison can limit big plays by Eastwood. Edison has two really good players in Medina (QB) and Finnen, both over 1000yd rushers. They have another back who's very suitable as well who has ran for over 500yds. Eastwood definitely has some athletes of their run but I think their hands will be full this week. I see Edison winning by 16-17 points.

Edison has some games on Youtube
I saw Edison play this year and they have the best set of linebackers around this area. I don't think Eastwood defense will be able to stop the midline and their QB. Edison by at least 21 or more.

I'm happy that Maumee beat them. Some on here thought the Panthers would not come within 20. ;)
Maumee most certainly had a very good year. Much improved. Hope they can get to 6-7 wins next year.

I think they will still be behind Eastwood/Oak Harbor but they could battle it out for that 3rd spot with Genoa.

Maumee most certainly had a very good year. Much improved. Hope they can get to 6-7 wins next year.

I think they will still be behind Eastwood/Oak Harbor but they could battle it out for that 3rd spot with Genoa.
For sure...I was pleasantly surprised by their performance in the conference, though I wasn't expecting the bottom to fall out of northern Wood County football.

1a. Oak Harbor
1b. Eastwood
3. Maumee
4. Genoa
5a. Lake
5b. Otsego
7. Fostoria
8. Rossford
Nail on the head with Eastwood. I know LC is ripping through teams running a power set, but I think we're seeing now where trying to win big with that sort of offense is just plain difficult against an evenly matched opponent.

The reason the spread is so successful is that you can develop find small mismatches with the space & combinations it has. The Wing T attacks you with misdirection, so as long as the defense has good awareness & matches up physically it is a much easier offense to defend. I think this is why you see Oak Harbor & Eastwood over Genoa at the moment, they keep thinking this is 10 years ago.

Nail on the head with Eastwood. I know LC is ripping through teams running a power set, but I think we're seeing now where trying to win big with that sort of offense is just plain difficult against an evenly matched opponent.

The reason the spread is so successful is that you can develop find small mismatches with the space & combinations it has. The Wing T attacks you with misdirection, so as long as the defense has good awareness & matches up physically it is a much easier offense to defend. I think this is why you see Oak Harbor & Eastwood over Genoa at the moment, they keep thinking this is 10 years ago.
I know quite a few people that would say the Wing T or Power T is much more difficult to prepare. Especially because you are seeing spread almost every week, so to prepare for that type of offense in one week is difficult. You have to have a completely new defense. The Wing T you don’t rely on anything. LC is averaging more points running the Wing T. Ask any defensive coach what they want to prepare for. Spread or wing T/Power T. The spread you also rely on a QB who can throw, which you might not get every single year.

Eastwood isn’t running anything that different than what they were with Rutherford. They aren’t running true spread stuff. They are heavy Q runs (they did that with Boos), running all gap schemes and motioning. Just doing it out of shotgun. They are just doing the same types of runs out of spread looks. It is the same thing Brungard did when he took over for Craig Smith at Anthony Wayne.

Last edited:
I know quite a few people that would say the Wing T or Power T is much more difficult to prepare. Especially because you are seeing spread almost every week, so to prepare for that type of offense in one week is difficult. You have to have a completely new defense. The Wing T you don’t rely on anything. LC is averaging more points running the Wing T. Ask any defensive coach what they want to prepare for. Spread or wing T/Power T. The spread you also rely on a QB who can throw, which you might not get every single year.

Eastwood isn’t running anything that different than what they were with Rutherford. They aren’t running true spread stuff. They are heavy Q runs (they did that with Boos), running all gap schemes and motioning. Just doing it out of shotgun. They are just doing the same types of runs out of spread looks.
100 percent agree, especially if you run the series that go along with wing t offenses rather than just trying to run formations to get numbers presnap. A simple example is the the Buck/gut/boot/keep series out of a regular pro/con set in wing t. You have 4 play options off of the exact same motion. It forces everyone to be disciplined on defense and do their job. The wing t isn’t just a run offense either. You can spread teams out in the wing t as well and you can also even them up with dual wings/splits. Even wing t formations are a bitch to prepare for if you’re a team that calls to tendencies if a team has athletes at the wing and half positions.

Couldn’t agree more with everything you said. I have seen LC a few times, they run a lot of different formations. That’s 70% of the battle in high school on defense is getting aligned right.

I’m surprised more teams don’t run Wing T or Power T. You instantly take away major talent advantages that a team might have on you and you force opposing coaches to actually be sound. You can essentially out coach a lot of teams you will play just based on scheme and how unique your offense is.

I would be curious who still runs these types of offenses, I know Genoa still runs this type of offense (but dabbles in Empty). Liberty Center and Napoleon run it. Gibsonburg and Delta as well. Northwood use to with Ken James. Am I missing anybody else in NW Ohio?
100 percent agree, especially if you run the series that go along with wing t offenses rather than just trying to run formations to get numbers presnap. A simple example is the the Buck/gut/boot/keep series out of a regular pro/con set in wing t. You have 4 play options off of the exact same motion. It forces everyone to be disciplined on defense and do their job. The wing t isn’t just a run offense either. You can spread teams out in the wing t as well and you can also even them up with dual wings/splits. Even wing t formations are a bitch to prepare for if you’re a team that calls to tendencies if a team has athletes at the wing and half positions.

Last edited:

Eastwood isn’t running anything that different than what they were with Rutherford. They aren’t running true spread stuff. They are heavy Q runs (they did that with Boos), running all gap schemes and motioning. Just doing it out of shotgun. They are just doing the same types of runs out of spread looks. It is the same thing Brungard did when he took over for Craig Smith at Anthony Wayne.
Highly disagree. A team with 4 skilled players and a good QB throwing it around is brutal to defend against

Couldn’t agree more with everything you said. I have seen LC a few times, they run a lot of different formations. That’s 70% of the battle in high school on defense is getting aligned right.

I’m surprised more teams don’t run Wing T or Power T. You instantly take away major talent advantages that a team might have on you and you force opposing coaches to actually be sound. You can essentially out coach a lot of teams you will play just based on scheme and how unique your offense is.

I would be curious who still runs these types of offenses, I know Genoa still runs this type of offense (but dabbles in Empty). Liberty Center and Napoleon run it. Gibsonburg and Delta as well. Northwood use to with Ken James. Am I missing anybody else in NW Ohio?
BG.

Genoa runs T formations but doesn't do a great job with working series. They're in and out of it too much to really establish the rhythm the T give you the opportunity to. I think of the old Ironton teams under Bob Lutz. They did a great job of setting up their T series. Kirtland is another very successful T team. The old Marion Pleasant teams under Kubbs ran the Wing T. They're an example of a team that did a great job using their T to spread teams out when they had the athletes to do so. They had a Wing T QB make it all the way to the NFL in Harris back in the mid to early 2000's. I think he played for the Jags? Genoa, IMHO tried get in and out of T too much and really disrupted their offensive flow by running two systems. They were too quick to give up on the grind. The T and wing T are both great offenses. I tend to lean more towards wing T because of it's versatility.

do any of you think any head coaches/ assitant coaches will apply for the st francis head coaching job and if so who?
and what teams in the future can you guys seeing leaving the NBC?
A few predictions.

I do think Lindke will be at SFS next season. It makes sense for him to want to get back to one of the Catholic League teams. No hate to him, he’s a very good coach and I respect him. But I promise you, he will be the next coach at St. Francis de Sales.

I would not be surprised to see Todd Drusback stepped down. Rossford doesn’t really have a great future ahead and he’s already accomplished enough to say he had a good career.

A Coordinator that could be replaced would be Lake’s DC. Maumee’s OC and mayb one of Oak Harbors coordinators.

For Otsego, I belive their next coach will be one of these 3: Devin Radcliff (BG), Ken Brandon (Napoleon), or Matt Bryan (Liberty Center).

For Rossford, I believe their coach will be someone from the current coaching staff or a Perrysburg coach like Todd Sims

A few predictions.

I do think Lindke will be at SFS next season. It makes sense for him to want to get back to one of the Catholic League teams. No hate to him, he’s a very good coach and I respect him. But I promise you, he will be the next coach at St. Francis de Sales.

I would not be surprised to see Todd Drusback stepped down. Rossford doesn’t really have a great future ahead and he’s already accomplished enough to say he had a good career.

A Coordinator that could be replaced would be Lake’s DC. Maumee’s OC and mayb one of Oak Harbors coordinators.

For Otsego, I belive their next coach will be one of these 3: Devin Radcliff (BG), Ken Brandon (Napoleon), or Matt Bryan (Liberty Center).

For Rossford, I believe their coach will be someone from the current coaching staff or a Perrysburg coach like Todd Sims
I doubt anyone will step away from Oak Harbor at least after this season. They still have plenty of talent left in the system.
I also don't think Todd Drusback will. He may leave Rossford, but I don't think he's ready to step away from the game.