2023 Northern Buckeye Conference

Who wins the 2023 Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Eastwood

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Genoa

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maumee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Oak Harbor

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Otsego

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m interested in knowing more about Norton’s team. They’re not exactly a traditional power and I’m surprised they’re DIII. I would have expected them to be smaller. I wonder if they still play football in their old stadium on Cleveland Massillon road. I can see they have field turf but can’t really tell from the pictures and videos I found in their school Twitter. Anyone know?
They do not still play there. New school new stadium. Solid program recently. 27-4 over the past three seasons

Attachments

• 1696171162701.png
    1696171162701.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
All I know is I want my mom and dad's Fostoria Redmen back

Have you watched Fostoria at all this year? They certainly aren’t the 90s Redmen or the Micah Hyde years Fostoria teams but they have some pieces.

Wouldn’t be shocked if they win out, but also not surprised if they lose out. Kind of a wildcard. Some discipline issues and just out of position at times. But they’ve got athletes.

Have you watched Fostoria at all this year? They certainly aren’t the 90s Redmen or the Micah Hyde years Fostoria teams but they have some pieces.

Wouldn’t be shocked if they win out, but also not surprised if they lose out. Kind of a wildcard. Some discipline issues and just out of position at times. But they’ve got athletes.
I agree with this. The problem doesn’t seem to be them not having athletes. I hate to throw coaches under the bus and I imagine it’s hard to find quality position coaches as it takes more than just the head guy. It just seems like a tough situation in Fostoria football wise.

Who got the nicest field in the NBC?
IMHO I think that Rossford has the best stadium. I like Fostoria's old historic stadium as well, especially now that they have a new playing surface. Lake's stadium is really nice, but their turf needs replaced (unless they did that this year) and it just lacks an overall atmosphere.
Grass surface used to be Eastwood, but I feel like since the elder Rutherford left it hasn't been maintained as well. They do still have the deer stand in the north end zone. I think Otsego has taken over the best natural grass in the league but their stadium, and especially their lighting, is lacking. I haven't caught a game at Maumee yet.

IMHO I think that Rossford has the best stadium. I like Fostoria's old historic stadium as well, especially now that they have a new playing surface. Lake's stadium is really nice, but their turf needs replaced (unless they did that this year) and it just lacks an overall atmosphere.
Grass surface used to be Eastwood, but I feel like since the elder Rutherford left it hasn't been maintained as well. They do still have the deer stand in the north end zone. I think Otsego has taken over the best natural grass in the league but their stadium, and especially their lighting, is lacking. I haven't caught a game at Maumee yet.
I am a huge fan of graff fields. Although I think it is odd Rossford has 1 stand of bleachers.

Rossford is just not ideal. The field barely fits into the valley. One side of bleachers is certainly unique, but odd. Parking there too is a nightmare.

Lake has new turf and I would assume has hosted the most playoff games of any NBC school. They also have no track, so you are right on the field which no other NBC school has.

Fostoria, when full, is pretty neat. Maumee has done a really nice job with their stadium but parking is a nightmare there too.

Eastwood, Oak Harbor, Genoa, and Otsego are probably all about equal. Grass surface. Good parking. Dated but okay facilities.

I believe Maumee is the toughest environment to play in in the NBC. Between the students and the fans, Kazmaier Stadium shows out and gets loud on Friday's. I was in attendance for the Lake and Springfield game and that place was going nuts.

Rossford is just not ideal. The field barely fits into the valley. One side of bleachers is certainly unique, but odd. Parking there too is a nightmare.

Lake has new turf and I would assume has hosted the most playoff games of any NBC school. They also have no track, so you are right on the field which no other NBC school has.

Fostoria, when full, is pretty neat. Maumee has done a really nice job with their stadium but parking is a nightmare there too.

Eastwood, Oak Harbor, Genoa, and Otsego are probably all about equal. Grass surface. Good parking. Dated but okay facilities.
Genoa built theirs in 2005 right? Doesn't seem very dated to me.

Best grass field is easily Oak Harbor, that place is almost like a fairway. Best stadium is Lake, perfect location off I-280 & 795, great turf & no track. Also some huge stands and a terrific entrance

Genoa built theirs in 2005 right? Doesn't seem very dated to me.

Best grass field is easily Oak Harbor, that place is almost like a fairway. Best stadium is Lake, perfect location off I-280 & 795, great turf & no track. Also some huge stands and a terrific entrance

You are correct. Genoa's is newer. Wish they would've went with bigger away stands.

You are correct. Genoa's is newer. Wish they would've went with bigger away stands.
Haha to be fair they weren't exactly a "power" at that time. It still blows me away in some respects, Gibsonburg & Woodmore were the class of the league for most of the 90s. Turn of the century happens & Eastwood/Elmwood take off, 2007 happens and Genoa becomes a state power almost overnight that continues to this day.

What exactly is dated about Oak Harbors facilities?

Fostoria is nice but the locker rooms are tight and extremely hot early in the year.

I haven’t been to Rossford since the new stadium was built. The last time I went was the year the school was under construction. How they were allowed to have a game with thousands of people in attendance with zero running water is a mystery to me.

If you can’t provide running water you shouldn’t be hosting games.

Agree to disagree on Rossford. I like the fact that it's unique. I'll agree, it's a little odd seeing the away team over there with no one behind them, but the house on the other side of the creek always seems to enjoy the show. They're great. Oak Harbor and Genoa's fields look like crab grass, so that's where I'm dinging them on the grass field aspect. I 100% agree on Fostoria and I need to get to Maumee to catch a game sometime.

Genoa and Oak Harbor is obviously the game of the week. After a quick look at OH’s schedule, they haven’t beaten anyone with a winning record. Genoa played a tight game with Archbold (6-1) and beat Huron (5-2). Is there as big a gap between OH and the rest of the league as most of us originally thought? Anyone else think Genoa can pull this off?

Genoa and Oak Harbor is obviously the game of the week. After a quick look at OH’s schedule, they haven’t beaten anyone with a winning record. Genoa played a tight game with Archbold (6-1) and beat Huron (5-2). Is there as big a gap between OH and the rest of the league as most of us originally thought? Anyone else think Genoa can pull this off?
After seeing OH’s score against Otsego I would say that Genoa most certainly has a chance.

Genoa has basically owned Oak Harbor for the last fifteen or so years. They’ll certainly have their chance Friday night.

I expect Oak Harbor to win but they will have to work for it this week.

Genoa gives up points - which is concerning when playing a team like Oak Harbor. They give up an avg of 20 a night and haven't played OH/Eastwood yet. Offensively the Comets are really good and have some very nice weapons.

If my sources from Davis-Besse land are accurate, Oak Harbors 2 way RB/LB stud didn't play last week against Otsego. May have led to that game being a little closer than expected. Not sure if he will be playing this week or not.

Either way, safe to assume that we will see some points put up Friday night. Last year Genoa won the regular season matchup 28-25, and Oak Harbor got revenge in the playoffs 47-36.

Genoa gives up points - which is concerning when playing a team like Oak Harbor. They give up an avg of 20 a night and haven't played OH/Eastwood yet. Offensively the Comets are really good and have some very nice weapons.

If my sources from Davis-Besse land are accurate, Oak Harbors 2 way RB/LB stud didn't play last week against Otsego. May have led to that game being a little closer than expected. Not sure if he will be playing this week or not.

Either way, safe to assume that we will see some points put up Friday night. Last year Genoa won the regular season matchup 28-25, and Oak Harbor got revenge in the playoffs 47-36
But if Gneoa falls asleep like how they did last week and et Maumee come back their chances slim down. They must be full throttle. With that being said. Does Maumee win Out??

Genoa has basically owned Oak Harbor for the last fifteen or so years. They’ll certainly have their chance Friday night.

I expect Oak Harbor to win but they will have to work for it this week.
Decided to look back on this rivalry and it’s been interesting. Oak Harbor won at least 8 straight games from 2000-2007 (as far as Eitel goes back) before Genoa won the next 7 straight from ‘08-‘14. After losing in 2015 the Comets won another 3 in a row from ‘16-‘18, making it 10 wins in 11 years. In the last 4 years (‘19-‘22) there have been 4 games and it’s 2 wins apiece, they played a single game in 2019 won by Oak Harbor and a game won by Genoa in 2021, they didn’t play in 2020 and played twice in 2022, the first won by Genoa and the second by Oak Harbor. So it is 12-3 Genoa the last 15 years but 12-11 Genoa if you go back 23. Most importantly whoever wins Friday will be up 3-2 in the last 5 years and control their own destiny for a league title this year.

Decided to look back on this rivalry and it’s been interesting. Oak Harbor won at least 8 straight games from 2000-2007 (as far as Eitel goes back) before Genoa won the next 7 straight from ‘08-‘14. After losing in 2015 the Comets won another 3 in a row from ‘16-‘18, making it 10 wins in 11 years. In the last 4 years (‘19-‘22) there have been 4 games and it’s 2 wins apiece, they played a single game in 2019 won by Oak Harbor and a game won by Genoa in 2021, they didn’t play in 2020 and played twice in 2022, the first won by Genoa and the second by Oak Harbor. So it is 12-3 Genoa the last 15 years but 12-11 Genoa if you go back 23. Most importantly whoever wins Friday will be up 3-2 in the last 5 years and control their own destiny for a league title this year.

It is a pretty cool series. Dates back all the way to 1919. Oak Harbor went to the final four in ‘99 and beat Genoa. So if you go back the last 25 years it is 12-12 (didn’t play in 2020 COVID as mentioned).

Oak Harbor dominated the 90’s losing just once and then OH had some great teams 99-07. Genoa had their great run 07-15. And both have put some fine teams together since 2015 as well.

It is a pretty cool series. Dates back all the way to 1919. Oak Harbor went to the final four in ‘99 and beat Genoa. So if you go back the last 25 years it is 12-12 (didn’t play in 2020 COVID as mentioned).

Oak Harbor dominated the 90’s losing just once and then OH had some great teams 99-07. Genoa had their great run 07-15. And both have put some fine teams together since 2015 as well.

If memory serves me right that 90’s loss was in 1998. Oak Harbors game winning field goal try just didn’t make it through. It ultimately was a loss that kept them out of the playoffs.

Fun slate of games tomorrow.

Oak Harbor/Genoa - I think it comes down to the play of both lines. Who can control the line scrimmage and run the ball. And who can stop the run. The team that does those two things better will win (barring any crazy turnover situation).

Eastwood/Otsego - Are the Eagles for real? Their opponents who they have beaten are a combined 9-33. Likewise, Otsego has had an absolute meat grinder of a schedule thus far. I think if the Knights can hit a couple big plays or put some drives together, they can hang around. Will have to limit the number of big plays they give up to Eastwood. Eastwood should win by 14+ but crazier things have happened.

Lake/Fostoria - Get ready for a long, high scoring game. Both teams throw a lot and neither play great defense. At the very least this game will be a firework show offensively.

Maumee/Rossford - Panthers get their chance to really take it to a conference opponent for the first time since 2016?

Fun slate of games tomorrow.

Oak Harbor/Genoa - I think it comes down to the play of both lines. Who can control the line scrimmage and run the ball. And who can stop the run. The team that does those two things better will win (barring any crazy turnover situation).

Eastwood/Otsego - Are the Eagles for real? Their opponents who they have beaten are a combined 9-33. Likewise, Otsego has had an absolute meat grinder of a schedule thus far. I think if the Knights can hit a couple big plays or put some drives together, they can hang around. Will have to limit the number of big plays they give up to Eastwood. Eastwood should win by 14+ but crazier things have happened.

Lake/Fostoria - Get ready for a long, high scoring game. Both teams throw a lot and neither play great defense. At the very least this game will be a firework show offensively.

Maumee/Rossford - Panthers get their chance to really take it to a conference opponent for the first time since 2016?
Maumee
just beat lake by 42 points.