2023 Northern Buckeye Conference

Who wins the 2023 Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Eastwood

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Genoa

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maumee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Oak Harbor

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Otsego

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My Week 7 Thoughts

Eastwood @ Fostoria - After a slow start last week against Rossford, Fostoria will look to take advantage of those miscues and hope to make some Friday night magic happen. However, the Eagles know how to crush a team’s hopes when they start to believe they have a chance. This game can go 1 of 2 ways: Eastwood has 0 miscues and puts this game away early. Or, Fostoria can find a way to stay in it for longer than expect. I believe in the red men to have a strong showing up until the 2nd half when the Eagles take over

Eastwood 42-19

Maumee @ Genoa - Genoa has been on a rampage through league play thus far, and this week they host the Panthers of Maumee. Maumee’s offense went off with a 56 point beating of Lake, but this week run into the brick wall known as Genoa. Maumee has gotten better since their sophomore QB stepped in, but expect this one to be closer than expected.

Genoa 35-21

Rossford @ Lake - Both teams are coming off a bad loss and are having down right god awful seasons. Both teams are fighting for their second win of the season. Rossford and Lake both have terrible defenses but have a solid offense. I expect an all out slug fest with the Flyers coming out on top.

Lake 42-33

Otsego @ Oak Harbor -

this won’t be close.

Oak Harbor 56-12
You think Oak Harbor's defense will give up 12?

Does Genoa have a shot to beat OH next friday???
In a rivalry game you never know. I remember several years ago at Genoa I thought Oak Harbor had a great chance but Genoa jumped out early and beat the Rockets. That Ottawa County rivalry is huge and its only going to be bigger next week. It's also the same weekend as Oak Harbor's big festival...who knows where the minds of the players will be. Will they be used to and conditioned to play 4 quarters after most of them only play 2 right now?

Man, Region 18 looks loaded. Oak Harbor, Liberty Center, Edison, Archbold, Genoa, Coldwater, Liberty-Benton, and Eastwood?
I believe it was one of only two regions in the state where a team with a winning record did not make the playoffs. Or maybe it was the only region, I don't remember. As loaded as the region seems to be, when was the last time this region had a state champion?

I believe it was one of only two regions in the state where a team with a winning record did not make the playoffs. Or maybe it was the only region, I don't remember. As loaded as the region seems to be, when was the last time this region had a state champion?

You've had Kirtland/Ironton dominating the last 4 years.

The last state champion from this region would have been Coldwater in 2014.

Eastwood in 2017 was the next closest. State runner up.

You've had Kirtland/Ironton dominating the last 4 years.

The last state champion from this region would have been Coldwater in 2014.

Eastwood in 2017 was the next closest. State runner up.
Which was before a big realignment when it was DV region 16, correct?

Are you the same guy that keeps creating user names then complains about Coach Lindke at Otsego? I hope not.
No I don’t have any hate for Lindke, I just don’t believe Otsego is very good. Genoa handled them so I can only imagine what Oak Harbor will do

Otsego had a rough start on their schedule. Against LC, they had a lot of mistakes, but I do think they are better than their record shows. Genoa I am sure was picked near the top for the league so they should handle Otsego. They will most likely lose the next 3 but should finish with two wins on the season. Just my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 21
Region 18 has about 9-10 teams who are very good and will be tough but most of the first round games will be pretty ugly. 12 is the right number with this many regions/divisions, if we went back to 6 divisions 16 would work.
A good reason to make D7 8 man.

A good reason to make D7 8 man.
Eh, I think we need to have a rule where 22 players is required for 11 man. And then on top of that, it needs to be an OHSAA regulated sport. You see schools not being able to complete seasons at this point, that's a huge red flag

I think any school should have the option to play up as many divisions as they want but they need to declare their division by august 1st.

Reactions: AXE
Week 7 Recap

Lake 34-33 Rossford - Well… that was unexpected. This game was a back and forth contest until a Behlmer-Snyder TD pass with 53 seconds remaining in the game. Rossford’s defense sold on them once again, but Lake’s defense wasn’t great either. Lake is allowing 38 points a game. Lake needs some defensive changes if they want to compete in the coming years. Rossford still can fight, and I strongly believe they have a chance against Fostoria and maybe a decent fighters chance against Maumee.

Oak Harbor 49-21 Otsego

Hats off to Otsego for their first half effort. Going into the half, Otsego was down 21-14 and showed toughness. Oak Harbor eventually put it all together and came out and put Otsego away, but they made the first half very entertaining. After this, my take is Oak Harbor will win the rest of their games by double digits and Otsego has a chance to go 5-5 on the year and if they’re lucky, have a playoff birth.

Eastwood 62-20 Fostoria

Once again, hats off to Eastwood for doing what they were supposed to. I challenged them to not play down to another teams level and to put the red men away and they did just that. Eastwood never once felt like they were in danger. Fostoria is in a difficult place when it comes to football. Games like this make it hard to be excited about football. But hopefully things change for the better.

Genoa 42-28 Maumee

Many people claimed Maumee wouldn’t keep it within 20 of the Comets, and it took until the final minute for Genoa to stop Maumee. Genoa came out and balled in the pass and rushing game, and Maumee had some highs and lows. From this point on, Genoa has to play a full 4 quarters if they want to have a chance with Oak Harbor, Eastwood, and even in the playoffs. Maumee has a good chance to win out the rest of their games and earn a playoff birth. Depending on who they matchup with, maybe even win a playoff game

Week 7 Recap

Lake 34-33 Rossford - Well… that was unexpected. This game was a back and forth contest until a Behlmer-Snyder TD pass with 53 seconds remaining in the game. Rossford’s defense sold on them once again, but Lake’s defense wasn’t great either. Lake is allowing 38 points a game. Lake needs some defensive changes if they want to compete in the coming years. Rossford still can fight, and I strongly believe they have a chance against Fostoria and maybe a decent fighters chance against Maumee.

Oak Harbor 49-21 Otsego

Hats off to Otsego for their first half effort. Going into the half, Otsego was down 21-14 and showed toughness. Oak Harbor eventually put it all together and came out and put Otsego away, but they made the first half very entertaining. After this, my take is Oak Harbor will win the rest of their games by double digits and Otsego has a chance to go 5-5 on the year and if they’re lucky, have a playoff birth.

Eastwood 62-20 Fostoria

Once again, hats off to Eastwood for doing what they were supposed to. I challenged them to not play down to another teams level and to put the red men away and they did just that. Eastwood never once felt like they were in danger. Fostoria is in a difficult place when it comes to football. Games like this make it hard to be excited about football. But hopefully things change for the better.

Genoa 42-28 Maumee

Many people claimed Maumee wouldn’t keep it within 20 of the Comets, and it took until the final minute for Genoa to stop Maumee. Genoa came out and balled in the pass and rushing game, and Maumee had some highs and lows. From this point on, Genoa has to play a full 4 quarters if they want to have a chance with Oak Harbor, Eastwood, and even in the playoffs. Maumee has a good chance to win out the rest of their games and earn a playoff birth. Depending on who they matchup with, maybe even win a playoff game
Who is Maumee going to beat in the first round? Remember they are a D3 school. if they make playoffs, they are almost guaranteed to be between a 13-16 seed. Winning out still might not put them in.

Who is Maumee going to beat in the first round? Remember they are a D3 school. if they make playoffs, they are almost guaranteed to be between a 13-16 seed. Winning out still might not put them in.

Per Drew Pasteur...a 5-5 Maumee gets in as the 15 seed and will have to travel to projected undefeated Norton. If Columbian manages to win out and beat Perkins week 10, Central Catholic would then be the likely #2 seed the Panthers would have to take on. Lot of football left but Maumee will play a very talented team week 11 regardless. Going from 0 wins to 5 wins is an impressive feat in itself though (and I think a 6th win week 10 against Otsego is very possible, but won't help a ton in playoff seeding - maybe up a spot or two)

Out of their likely opponents (via Drew Pasteur), Central Catholic (29%) and Tiffin Columbian (19%) are 2 programs that are historically good and have multiple college level players, making it a great learning game and good experience for them but ultimately a loss. Norton (34%) and Buckeye (10%) are both great teams that are very solid, and it would be similar to Eastwood vs Maumee where if Maumee can play their best for 4 quarters they have a chance. Their best chance would be against Ontario (7%). Ontario is having their best season in program history, but don’t have much playoff experience. 2 years ago they were 3-7 and now they sit at 7-0. They also play opponents similar to the NBC’s size and skill, so this would be a 50/50 ball game

Per Drew Pasteur...a 5-5 Maumee gets in as the 15 seed and will have to travel to projected undefeated Norton. If Columbian manages to win out and beat Perkins week 10, Central Catholic would then be the likely #2 seed the Panthers would have to take on. Lot of football left but Maumee will play a very talented team week 11 regardless. Going from 0 wins to 5 wins is an impressive feat in itself though (and I think a 6th win week 10 against Otsego is very possible, but won't help a ton in playoff seeding - maybe up a spot or two)
I’m interested in knowing more about Norton’s team. They’re not exactly a traditional power and I’m surprised they’re DIII. I would have expected them to be smaller. I wonder if they still play football in their old stadium on Cleveland Massillon road. I can see they have field turf but can’t really tell from the pictures and videos I found in their school Twitter. Anyone know?

I’m interested in knowing more about Norton’s team. They’re not exactly a traditional power and I’m surprised they’re DIII. I would have expected them to be smaller. I wonder if they still play football in their old stadium on Cleveland Massillon road. I can see they have field turf but can’t really tell from the pictures and videos I found in their school Twitter. Anyone know?
yes they still play there