2023 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Glenoak alumni. That was embarrassing. I think it’s time to take Massillon off the schedule until we can compete. No need to be getting blasted every year in week 2 and not being able to build any confidence. Why go to glenoak if they can’t beat Massillon or McKinley.

Did the starters stay in or just the Burt kid? By that time we were deep in conversation paying little attention to the game. But I agree with you, could you imaging if the Burt kid gets hurt getting carries down 56-0 with 2 minutes left? Wow.

As a Glenoak alumni. That was embarrassing. I think it’s time to take Massillon off the schedule until we can compete. No need to be getting blasted every year in week 2 and not being able to build any confidence. Why go to glenoak if they can’t beat Massillon or McKinley.
This looked more like one of those games that just got out of hand. That is, I don't think it's a true reflection of the relative strengths of the two teams. Massillon scored three times in their first 5 plays (or something like that)? That ain't normal, I don't care how much better you are. Then, GlenOak couldn't get out of their own way. It just spiraled.

Massillon fans may remember the Ignatius game in 2008 (or whenever it was). The shoe was on the other foot then. Ignatius could do no wrong, and Massillon could do no right. 49-0 at the half. It happens. Flush it and move on.

See you next year.

Last edited:
Looked like all the starters in there to me
GlenOak definitely had a lot of starters still in on their scoring drive.

From Massillon's perspective: are they going to have enough eligible players for a JV game tomorrow? They kinda emptied the bench there.

Last edited:
Come on bro I'm trying to be that guy but everyone looks forward to the Massillon v Glenoak game. Do I take it off the schedule with the kids who want to play the game and it's a little rivalry especially when a lot of these kids know each other

We already play 4 out of state teams this year so taking GO off the schedule doesn’t make sense for Massillon especially in the week 2 slot when we know week 1 is always a tough game.

The good:
- We now know that both QBs can pass.

The bad:
- Do we even have an interior run game?

The strange:
- Slaughter almost certainly had more rushing yards than Owens.
Interior run game is alarmingly bad. I don’t think they called a single run for DaOne..not that they needed to lol I wonder if having him out there running zone read could open up some lanes for the RBs between the tackles 🤷🏼‍♂️

Stats aren't up, but I don't think Owens rushed once. Slaugther, OTOH, did -- and picked maybe(?) 20 yards or so. I did notice than on that run towards the far sideline he was sort of jogging to get OB.

It hasn’t been a rivalry though. It’s been an whoppin.
I mean yeah I definitely agree with you on that but I will say I think it's just a game where the kids do get hyped because they do know each other and I know speaking from a Massillon perspective we actually enjoy playing teams in the county because most as We know refuse to play us which in the long run it hurts the kids because they just like talking mess with each other

I don't quite understand that either. I mean, they played us we were scuffling; don't they owe us some payback? ;)

More to the point, it beats an OOS game. For both of us.

I don't quite understand that either. I mean, they played us we were scuffling; don't they owe us some payback? ;)

More to the point, it beats an OOS game. For both of us.
Yeah they don’t seem to want to do that now that they’re down for them. Nobody seems to ever want to play us when they’re rebuilding or regrouping or however you want to phrase it. I wouldn’t be mad to see Mentor on the schedule again either. Maybe Jackson could replace Glenoak for a few years until they get their selves back to being competitive again 😁

Massillon has a fantastic offense. They will easily easily easily be the best team we play this year. Yes it sucks being beat by 5 TDs in the first quarter but like Oil Filter said ,the wheels fell off early and it just spiraled. Trust me I'm not saying we could hang with the Tigers but I do think we could've given them a better game. Im about to say maybe the stupidest thing you've ever heard on Yappi but I wouldn't be surprised if we win 6 games this year. We had a handful of nice plays but they were followed by big losses and we got to the 1 and fumbled into the end zone.As far as not playing the Tigers I would rather our kids play a great team and get beat badly than play a team from Canada or DC and get a cheap win. I think our kids will pick themselves up and surprise a lot of people. Massillon is the real deal and Eagle Nation wishes them a great season.

Evidentially the stats database isn't in the same format it was, with the season totals not being updated, after the current game was posted?:

Mass GOak

FIRST DOWN 16 13

RUSHES / YARDS (NET) 25/189 30/110

PASSING YARDS (NET) 278 77

Passes Att/Comp/Int 15/9/0 18/5/0

TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS/YARDS 40 / 467 48 / 187

Fumble Returns / Yards 1 / 3 0 / 0

Punt Returns / Yards 4 / 3 1 / 2

Kickoff Returns / Yards 1 / 8 4 / 51

Interception Returns /Yards 0 / 0 0 / 0

Punts (Number/Avg) 2 / 33 7 / 31

Fumbles / Lost 0 / 0 4 / 2

Penalties / Yards 8 / 74 7 / 49

Possession Time 21:21 26:39

Sacks By: Number/Yards 3 / 19 0 / 0

RUSHING(Att / Yards):

GlenOak Jamar Johnson 13 / 81 Adrion Burt 2 / 54 Avante Burt 7 / 3 Cole Anderson 8 / -28
Massillon Peytton Mitchell 12 / 127 Mylen Lenix 5 / 22 Jalen Slaughter 1 / 21 Dorian Pringle 2 / 15
Michael Wright Jr 1 / 4 Jadyn Williams 1 / 2 TEAM 2 / -1 Daylan Pringle 1 / -1

PASSING(Comp/Att/Int/Yard):

GlenOak Cole Anderson 4/16/0/52Adrion Burt 1/2/0/25
Massillon Jalen Slaughter 4/6/0/153DaOne Owens 5/8/0/125Eli Moore 0/1/0/0

RECEIVING(No / Yard):

GlenOak Jamar Johnson 2 / 42 Avante Burt 3 / 35
Massillon Jacques Carter 3 / 144 Kyler Wiggins 2 / 60 Deangelo Zimmerman2 / 59 Mylen Lenix 1 / 9
Daylan Pringle 1 / 6

Last edited:
Massillon has a fantastic offense. They will easily easily easily be the best team we play this year. Yes it sucks being beat by 5 TDs in the first quarter but like Oil Filter said ,the wheels fell off early and it just spiraled. Trust me I'm not saying we could hang with the Tigers but I do think we could've given them a better game. Im about to say maybe the stupidest thing you've ever heard on Yappi but I wouldn't be surprised if we win 6 games this year. We had a handful of nice plays but they were followed by big losses and we got to the 1 and fumbled into the end zone.As far as not playing the Tigers I would rather our kids play a great team and get beat badly than play a team from Canada or DC and get a cheap win. I think our kids will pick themselves up and surprise a lot of people. Massillon is the real deal and Eagle Nation wishes them a great season.
This type of loss early in the season is enough to jump start a program. GO looked a little bigger this year. One thing Garcia always had was a tough line. Looks like that’s going in the right direction. Another year or so and I’d say they are competing for the fed. This year they’ll be mid pack and out of the cellar.

I’d like to see the 1st half vs 2nd half numbers. We didn’t seem to get anything going in the run name until it was 49-0 and the RBs just started bouncing all the runs
When it was 21–0 we had 1 rushing attempt for 4 yds.
When it was 28-0 we had 8 attempts.
At half we had 90 yds rushing and finished the game with 189. So basically the same.
We also obviously didn’t need to throw a pass in the 2nd half.
I thought Mitchell ran hard and had a great game.
As I said it’s hard to argue when a team wins
56-7 and avg. 7.6 ypc.
In 2 games we have 537 yds rushing and 362 yds passing.

Interior run game is alarmingly bad. I don’t think they called a single run for DaOne..not that they needed to lol I wonder if having him out there running zone read could open up some lanes for the RBs between the tackles 🤷🏼‍♂️
This is why IRG is bad : IMO
Please simplify the blocking. When we pull a left/right guard. They never reach the target aka blown assignment. Resulting in the rb having to fight off his defender. Our explosive backs run sideways instead of down hill .I’m not gone blame the o line, it’s the o line coach .
On this play specifically : tell me why?
5 tiger o lineman + the hb can’t beat 3 GO d lineman. 6 vs 3
Let me show :
🐅LT blocks the monster back
🐅LG blocks down LOL why is he blocking in the center/rg A gap . That makes no sense !
🐅RG pulls and misses block
🐅HB doesn’t block anyone, runs by 2 defenders , slows the rb so backers can fill. Most of our run plays are traffic jams . The backs have to make something out of nothing . I know it’s early but how long we gone say that . Until Hoban week and nothings changed. 😏

Attachments

• IMG_3293.jpeg
    IMG_3293.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3294.jpeg
    IMG_3294.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3295.jpeg
    IMG_3295.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 66
The amount of no gain or loss of yardage carrys is what’s alarming. Even last year we were always getting positive yardage. The bulk of Owens yardage last week came from bouncing outside and making a play and the bulk of our yardage last night was the same. I agree that our pulling guards rarely seem to be quick enough to reach their target in time. Maybe we need to run more zone schemes or something 🤷🏼‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.