2023 gwoc season

after 2 games - it looks like Springfield is the team to beat again this year. I have Wayne at #2 and Northmont & Centerville tied at #3.

Dematha just got a pick 6 to go up 28-7 right before half. They have scored 3 TDs in the last 2 minutes. Got this off of Maxpreps...

Upshaw out with injury. Prior to that he threw two picks, both deflection. After Upshaw's injury Sophomore Kaden Hines threw a pick 6 with 15 seconds left. If Upshaw's injury is serious it could change the whole course of the season for Cats.

GO CATS!!!!!!!

Springfield down 35-7 near the end of the 4th quarter. QB going down definitely hurt and its a really good Dematha team. I think even with their QB Springfield does not look like they are on quite the same level as the last couple years. Wayne and Northmont I think have more overall talent than Springfield this year, but can't really trust the coaching for either or their toughness on defense. Douglass's teams always play tough and physical defense. I dont know that there is a clear favorite to win the conference this year

Springfield down 35-7 near the end of the 4th quarter. QB going down definitely hurt and its a really good Dematha team. I think even with their QB Springfield does not look like they are on quite the same level as the last couple years. Wayne and Northmont I think have more overall talent than Springfield this year, but can't really trust the coaching for either or their toughness on defense. Douglass's teams always play tough and physical defense. I dont know that there is a clear favorite to win the conference this year
That’s a bit far

You said it ...
It sucks for you they lost Wasn’t this some sort of make a wish game they setup for you. The cats playing so close to the Ohio river. Did Moe invite you on to the field? Were you able to go out pregame and take a handoff and run it to the end zone while the players fall trying to tackle you?

It sucks for you they lost Wasn’t this some sort of make a wish game they setup for you. The cats playing so close to the Ohio river. Did Moe invite you on to the field? Were you able to go out pregame and take a handoff and run it to the end zone while the players fall trying to tackle you?
It doesn't suck at all. Given how injuries to key players completely changed everything, I don't think this game counts for anything except for the experience of playing a national powerhouse like DeMatha. Btw, how did Fairmont fare this week? And against what level of competition? What excuses can you make?

It doesn't suck at all. Given how injuries to key players completely changed everything, I don't think this game counts for anything except for the experience of playing a national powerhouse like DeMatha. Btw, how did Fairmont fare this week? And against what level of competition? What excuses can you make?
Fairmont didn’t have their top defenses player in Payne got a concussion first game of the season. Qb had to play both ways becuase of injuries. Go read the fairmont trotwood thread I didn’t mention any of that, because I know an kicking when I see one. I never cry foul or make excuses for a loss.

key injuries other than the qb how many kids went down for shs yesterday? From the score it looks like they played the jv from the first quarter on. Look out Trotwood may roll you next week.

Fairmont didn’t have their top defenses player in Payne got a concussion first game of the season. Qb had to play both ways becuase of injuries. Go read the fairmont trotwood thread I didn’t mention any of that, because I know an kicking when I see one. I never cry foul or make excuses for a loss.

key injuries other than the qb how many kids went down for shs yesterday? From the score it looks like they played the jv from the first quarter on. Look out Trotwood may roll you next week.
If the injured players don't return this week, they very well may lose. Any elite team is only as good as their players. And, its tacky that you would try to compare Trotwood to DeMatha when it comes to losing players to injury. To beat DeMatha, you'd need everyone at full strength having a phenomenal game. It's not realistic to expect a back-up qb with no varsity experience to suddenly enter mid game against an opponent like DeMatha and think they have much of a chance in keeping up. It's too bad a game like this went that way but stuff happens. Fairmont was not in the same position as SHS was yesterday. That should go without saying.

Sounds like 3 key turnovers killed the Elks chances against Dublin Coffman. Looks like they may be in for a long night against Pick C.

Sounds like 3 key turnovers killed the Elks chances against Dublin Coffman. Looks like they may be in for a long night against Pick C.
No, the long night belonged to Pic Central and Springfield. I knew we'd have a true feel for things after week 3...and now we have. For the first time in 3 years the GWOC is up for grabs.
Springfield is still the favorite, but the gap has closed considerably. Wayne and Centerville are now in the running and Northmont has a fighter's chance.
The bad news is nobody is a state title contender. This is back to the way it was 50 years ago. The best mediocre team will win it.

I would have preferred if Springfield lost with a healthy team and it sounds like that is not what happened. Yes injuries are a part of the game, but they should have smoked Trotwood. I expect the conference to cannibalize itself.

No, the long night belonged to Pic Central and Springfield. I knew we'd have a true feel for things after week 3...and now we have. For the first time in 3 years the GWOC is up for grabs.
Springfield is still the favorite, but the gap has closed considerably. Wayne and Centerville are now in the running and Northmont has a fighter's chance.
The bad news is nobody is a state title contender. This is back to the way it was 50 years ago. The best mediocre team will win it.
I wouldn't say no one is a state title contender. It is really about winning your Region. At that point you are in the state semis and anything can happen. The top GWOC teams are going to be some of the favorites to come out of Region 2 every year just based on who is in the region. Right now there are 4 teams who are 3-0 in Region 2 but none have looked overly impressive.

Region 1 looks like St Ed is the overwhelming favorite and probably the State title favorite again.
Region 2 is a toss up. Probably comes down to who is playing their best at the end of the year. Preseason favorite was overwhelmingly Springfield but they definitely seem to be running with the pack this year.
Region 3 looks like Pickerington North is starting to emerge as the favorite but Hilliard Davidson and Bradley and Gahanna Lincoln have looked good.
Region 4 could end up being the toughest Region by the end of the year to make it out. Princeton has looked good. Moeller has struggled in seemingly trying to qualify for the Indiana State playoffs. St X just got pounded by a Tennessee school. Lakota West is probably much better than their 1-2 record by the end of the year.

Last edited:
after 3 games, it looks like the GWOC is a toss up with Springfield, Wayne, & Centerville. Elks D is still solid and looks like Cats are down this year. If Upshaw is out for awhile, the GWOC is wide-open.