2023 gwoc season

i took in the Beavercreek-Xenia game tonight.

my thoughts on Beavercreek- not as bad as the past few years. still not good. that school is massive and financially they have everything they need. i thought they looked well coached compared to past years. issue is, they don’t have GWOC level talent. they look like a middle of the pack MVL team. for some reason they just aren’t producing high level football players.

my verdict: Beavercreek needs to join the MVL. the country club sports would dominate and football could at least be .500, and they would get games with rivals Xenia and Fairborn. GWOC can welcome back Trotwood to replace them.

side note: new Doug Adams stadium is great. i would recommend anyone in the area visit. i have attended multiple playoff games in Xenia before and have always enjoyed the complex, but it’s even better now.

i took in the Beavercreek-Xenia game tonight.

my thoughts on Beavercreek- not as bad as the past few years. still not good. that school is massive and financially they have everything they need. i thought they looked well coached compared to past years. issue is, they don’t have GWOC level talent. they look like a middle of the pack MVL team. for some reason they just aren’t producing high level football players.

my verdict: Beavercreek needs to join the MVL. the country club sports would dominate and football could at least be .500, and they would get games with rivals Xenia and Fairborn. GWOC can welcome back Trotwood to replace them.

side note: new Doug Adams stadium is great. i would recommend anyone in the area visit. i have attended multiple playoff games in Xenia before and have always enjoyed the complex, but it’s even better now.
I doubt MVL schools would want someone like Beavercreek who would dominate in every other sport. Except for football, Beavercreek is a very competitive, formidable opponent in the GWOC.

I doubt MVL schools would want someone like Beavercreek who would dominate in every other sport. Except for football, Beavercreek is a very competitive, formidable opponent in the GWOC.
in other sports, absolutely. not to mention top-notch facilities. but the football program cannot succeed in the GWOC and i’m nit sure they ever will.

Some beavercreek people I have talked to have mentioned the wrestling team gets the run of the weight room and some other advantages over the football team. Don’t know if this is true but that could be part of the conditioning problem.

Some beavercreek people I have talked to have mentioned the wrestling team gets the run of the weight room and some other advantages over the football team. Don’t know if this is true but that could be part of the conditioning problem.
Their wrestling team isn't particularly great either...they are good...but not to the point where it should cannibalize football.

Their wrestling team isn't particularly great either...they are good...but not to the point where it should cannibalize football.
Just what I heard. I didn’t see the game just the final score so I don’t know how bad they are. It’s just the first game maybe something clicks at some point.

Just what I heard. I didn’t see the game just the final score so I don’t know how bad they are. It’s just the first game maybe something clicks at some point.
Nothing is going to “click” if you’re not physically prepared to play football.

They’ll very likely beat Ponitz and Thurgood Marshall and go into Springboro at 2-1 if that counts as “clicking”.

I don’t mean to beat a dead horse, I was just really hoping to see some signs of life last night with the coaching change. I know it can take 2 or 3 years to really get a program up and running.

Congrats to Fairmont!

Last edited:
Nothing is going to “click” if you’re not physically prepared to play football.

They’ll very likely beat Ponitz and Thurgood Marshall and go into Springboro at 2-1 if that counts as “clicking”.

I don’t mean to beat a dead horse, I was just really hoping to see some signs of life last night with the coaching change. I know it can take 2 or 3 years to really get a program up and running.

Congrats to Fairmont!
I should have said maybe they will catch some breaks.

on the plus side I think fairmont threw 4 passes last night. That’s more than some of millers full seasons.

Big question. Is Alter that good or is Fairmont going to get throttled against La Salle? I never understand how you can not hold onto the pigskin!

5 turnovers and 100 yards of offense. The bad part is Xenia didn’t even look great just Creek was so bad. Xenia won by 36 and has less then 200 yards of offense

Big question. Is Alter that good or is Fairmont going to get throttled against La Salle? I never understand how you can not hold onto the pigskin!
I still have fairmont around 500. You run the ball 99% of the plays someone is going to fumble. I have come to accept it with the offense. These are still high school kids and none of the rbs are really of an elite level. Yeah they rush for 1000+ yards a year but it lots of Carries with small gains.

I think Alter is much better than last year and will fare much better in their league games this year. Fairmont will find it difficult to fill the major holes left by graduation. Regarding last night’s game, Alter lost two fumbles and Fairmont one early in the game when it was raining pretty steady. For the first game and playing on a really wet turf, I thought it was a fairly well-played game and they were evenly matched.

What is wrong at Beavercreek. Have they ever been competitive?
Yes, at least way more than they are now. And when I say, “competitive” I mean they had a pulse. Speaking for the post Jurassic period, they were a 5-5 *ish* program for maybe 10 years or so. They peaked at 7-3 in 2012 and split a GWOC title with Northmont

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, they won (or tied) for the GWOC title once I believe. I wanna say 1986 but I’m too lazy to look it up

Last edited:
Yes, at least way more than they are now. And when I say, “competitive” I mean they had a pulse. Speaking for the post Jurassic period, they were a 5-5 *ish* program for maybe 10 years or so. They peaked at 7-3 in 2012 and split a GWOC title with Northmont

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, they won (or tied) for the GWOC title once I believe. I wanna say 1986 but I’m too lazy to look it up
It was 1985. Generally, Beavercreek had good football going back to 1960s through mid '80s. Then, the focus shifted to other sports like soccer and basketball.

So what was the deal with Wayne and Fairfield? Two bad defenses?
Both teams have very good QBs and talent/speed at the skill positions. Should be the best Wayne passing attack since Mukes has taken over based on how Lewis played last night. The talent has been there since he was a Freshman and now the confidence and decision making looks like it has arrived. Fisher for Fairfield is a load to takedown as a runner and arguably the best QB Wayne will see this year.

Wayne's D was lights out for the first few posessions and then some dumb penalties and missed tackles led to Fairfield stealing momentum before the half. Refs over all were very heavy-handed with the penalties. Some of it was week 1 sloppiness, but a lot of questionable holding calls called on both teams. After that Fairfield basically ran an option offense mixing up the same 4 to 5 concepts and Wayne failed to adjust. Same story basically since the coaching staff changed 4 years ago with Wayne struggling to play consistent football like they did under Minton and his staff that had a lot of continuity for about 20 years. Strength of Wayne's D should be their secondary and pass rush where they have both experience and talent, but the whole D was out of sorts for about 2 half quarters in the middle of the game which I attrubute more to lack of adjustments by the coaches. Hard to tell who is actually in charge of the D anymore. About 5 or 6 guys all yelling and signaling from the sidelines while the D is on the field.

Good opening weekend for Gwoc. Northmont score kind if surprising
You have to consider the only returning starter on Northmont's offense last night was the QB. Lots of mistakes early but they settled in after half. All of Vandalia's points came directly from turnovers. A pick set them up for a field goal then a pick six later. Butler's D is descent. Northmont only gave up 87 yards total offense

Should be an interesting year. Centerville supposedly has a strong offensive line this year with a Senior QB back from missing half his Junior year.