2023 gwoc season

I'm aware there was some stigma, but I think a big part of it had to do with people from Centerville, Beavercreek, Fairmont, etc., not wanting to travel to Evans Stadium and the surrounding neighborhood.
The stigma was there when South visited those places, i.e., rocks, ice and cups thrown at our busses, chants using the n word, etc. Before those games, everyone from South would get a lecture on what to expect and the importance of not reciprocating it because we'd be the ones to get the blame for it in the media. This also happened to Trotwood and Dayton City League schools too. The extent of just how racist and hateful these people were was shocking and eye opening. They really revealed themselves at these sporting events. Unless you were there wearing a South uniform or fan gear, you would never understand or believe how it was. And, the officiating was absolutely racially biased in many of those games. Everyone would say this is one of those games where our team had to beat the other team, and the refs. In 1993-94, South bball lost by 2 points to Middletown on the road. The officiating was so bad and biased that even Middletown fans apologized to Larry Ham after the game. When that game went to halftime, I never saw Ham that furious before. The next day, the headline in the newspaper said "Wildcats Officially defeated." So, whatever Douglass may have said about racial prejudice in the officiating of a game, it very well could be true as these things do happen. I saw it in action myself, many times during my HS years.

Last edited:
i’m split on this issue.

on one hand, i think playing for a team contending for a state title is a big draw for kids. but enrolling at springfield isn’t doable for most unless they already live within reasonable driving distance of the school. that argument is much more believable when you’re talking about a kid from Northwestern or Kenton Ridge enrolling at Springfield.

the other part of me looks at the situation with the Arcanum QB and says that is blatant recruiting. Arcanum to Springfield is about a 50 minute drive, which isn’t a reasonable commute for a high school kid. the only way that works is if the entire family moves to the district so their kid can play a year of football. most people don’t have the means to do that, and those that do are likely not making a move like that unless they talk to the head coach first regarding playing time/etc, which is where it becomes recruiting.

what i am completely against is a coach contacting a parent/kid and talking to them directly. that’s blatant recruiting. i don’t know what has/hasn’t been done, but that’s where the line needs to be drawn at the least.
Family moved to the district in April. Turn the page

i’m split on this issue.

on one hand, i think playing for a team contending for a state title is a big draw for kids. but enrolling at springfield isn’t doable for most unless they already live within reasonable driving distance of the school. that argument is much more believable when you’re talking about a kid from Northwestern or Kenton Ridge enrolling at Springfield.

the other part of me looks at the situation with the Arcanum QB and says that is blatant recruiting. Arcanum to Springfield is about a 50 minute drive, which isn’t a reasonable commute for a high school kid. the only way that works is if the entire family moves to the district so their kid can play a year of football. most people don’t have the means to do that, and those that do are likely not making a move like that unless they talk to the head coach first regarding playing time/etc, which is where it becomes recruiting.

what i am completely against is a coach contacting a parent/kid and talking to them directly. that’s blatant recruiting. i don’t know what has/hasn’t been done, but that’s where the line needs to be drawn at the least.
Just wondering what you think of Moeller ads on the radio.

Just wondering what you think of Moeller ads on the radio.
Ask a kid what radio station they listen to, nine out of ten times you will get a blank stare. Especially if they are advertising on AM radio. Kids are not listening to Bill Cunningham and Lance McCallister.

Nobody cares about transfers unless it’s to a school they dislike or a team that is already good. A kid that was pretty good could transfer to Bethel today and nobody would say a word until Bethel started winning. And most of the people that would complain are 20+ years out of high school

that’s a thing? what the h*ll?!

i’m curious about the context of the add.
I've heard it many times on the radio. It's just an ad that brags about a Catholic education and their athletic success. I'm old so I'm not sure what station(s) it was on. I know I usually listen to K99 FM, WTUE (Dayton) & WEBN (Cincinnati). But you and I both know, they don't recruit. ;)

Last edited:
Nobody cares about transfers unless it’s to a school they dislike or a team that is already good. A kid that was pretty good could transfer to Bethel today and nobody would say a word until Bethel started winning. And most of the people that would complain are 20+ years out of high school

Obviously Springfield dislikes Wayne as when it was happening there the CATS fans caused a whole lotta trouble. The kids got along with each other but some how the adults could not be mature enough to do the same.....

Wayne constantly got bashed on here especially from the Centerville fans who have turned about face since the numerous transfers have shown up at there school. I don't like the transfer thing but the main reason for me making a deal with it as the haters who were hating are now defending when they are now taking advantage of transfers.

I will always root for Springfield despite not liking Douglas.

Crazy-vamps can’t ever let it go.

Wayne with close to 50-75 transfers in hops & football over last 15-20 years

Centerville might be at 10, and now it’s the same. Kinda not even close to the same counts, but I’m sure he will make every Centerville transfer & leave out about 30 Wayne ones.

Centerville might be at 10, and now it’s the same. Kinda not even close to the same counts, but I’m sure he will make every Centerville transfer & leave out about 30 Wayne ones.
At least he's been consistent in his "hate" for Centerville. Never wavering, even when the Elks sucked. Unlike me, who has "softened" with age. LOL...:)

Most people don't care about transfers unless they think something is up with the situation. For example the Powers kid at Centerville was at Kettering until after 8th grade. Kid went to a neighboring district happens all the time especially before high school. Now take that Rice kid from Hoban going to Moeller. Unless the parents got a job in Cincy, that one seems a little fishy.

Lets see.... 50 transfers over 20 years equals ... 2.5 per year. Centerville in basketball alone had more than that this last season..... lol.....

You are right, I will never let it go. What Wayne had to put up with in the media and the bashing on this site for the transfers they got with all the OHSAA investigations causing athletes to have to sit out until the investigation ends..... with other GWOC schools black balling them when it came to seeding........... to now we have a mostly white school getting a bunch of transfers and the media sells it as a great opportunity for these students and the one's that bash Wayne are now stating that they can't help it if athletes want to come to Centerville.... etc, etc......

I have always been consistent about my stance with coaches that recruit. I am 100% against it regardless if it is happening at Wayne, or had happened at Wayne or any other school be it public or private.

OK, everyone knows my stance on this so we can move on...... Will the ELKS once again take advantage of what is happening at Wayne and draw up another victory over the Warriors?

Lets see.... 50 transfers over 20 years equals ... 2.5 per year. Centerville in basketball alone had more than that this last season..... lol.....

You are right, I will never let it go. What Wayne had to put up with in the media and the bashing on this site for the transfers they got with all the OHSAA investigations causing athletes to have to sit out until the investigation ends..... with other GWOC schools black balling them when it came to seeding........... to now we have a mostly white school getting a bunch of transfers and the media sells it as a great opportunity for these students and the one's that bash Wayne are now stating that they can't help it if athletes want to come to Centerville.... etc, etc......

I have always been consistent about my stance with coaches that recruit. I am 100% against it regardless if it is happening at Wayne, or had happened at Wayne or any other school be it public or private.

OK, everyone knows my stance on this so we can move on...... Will the ELKS once again take advantage of what is happening at Wayne and draw up another victory over the Warriors?
Wayne's not that hard to beat anymore. So not much to debate there. Keep Coach Mukes!

Most people don't care about transfers unless they think something is up with the situation. For example the Powers kid at Centerville was at Kettering until after 8th grade. Kid went to a neighboring district happens all the time especially before high school. Now take that Rice kid from Hoban going to Moeller. Unless the parents got a job in Cincy, that one seems a little fishy.
Simply moving and transferring schools alone isn't enough to prove a violation of anything happened. If a family is willing to move because their kid wants to play for a particular school or coach, there is absolutely nothing in the OHSAA regulations or bylaws that says they can't.

Obviously Springfield dislikes Wayne as when it was happening there the CATS fans caused a whole lotta trouble. The kids got along with each other but some how the adults could not be mature enough to do the same.....

Wayne constantly got bashed on here especially from the Centerville fans who have turned about face since the numerous transfers have shown up at there school. I don't like the transfer thing but the main reason for me making a deal with it as the haters who were hating are now defending when they are now taking advantage of transfers.

I will always root for Springfield despite not liking Douglas.
When did you ever criticize Wayne for getting transfers? I don't remember you ever getting on your anti-recruiting soapbox when Braxton Miller left Springfield after 8th grade for Wayne. Where was your outrage then??

Ask a kid what radio station they listen to, nine out of ten times you will get a blank stare. Especially if they are advertising on AM radio. Kids are not listening to Bill Cunningham and Lance McCallister.
Not surprisingly, you're missing the point. The radio ads are hard evidence of openly blatant recruiting of student athletes. You're saying that's okay so long as the station doesn't play top 40 hits? Ever consider the possibility they purposefully advertise on AM radio to get to the parents who pay the tuition and have to approve of their kids transferring? Or is that too tough for you to wrap your mind around?

Not surprisingly, you're missing the point. The radio ads are hard evidence of openly blatant recruiting of student athletes. You're saying that's okay so long as the station doesn't play top 40 hits? Ever consider the possibility they purposefully advertise on AM radio to get to the parents who pay the tuition and have to approve of their kids transferring? Or is that too tough for you to wrap your mind around?
If a kids family doesn’t know how good Moeller is in sports until they hear a radio spot chances are their kid is probably not good enough to play there. Private schools are still a business when it comes down to it. They have advertising budgets. Privates send out mailers all the time to people. The only time publics do anything like that is when they have a levy on the ballot.

If a kids family doesn’t know how good Moeller is in sports until they hear a radio spot chances are their kid is probably not good enough to play there. Private schools are still a business when it comes down to it. They have advertising budgets. Privates send out mailers all the time to people. The only time publics do anything like that is when they have a levy on the ballot.
What's the difference? It's all about raking in the dough isn't it? Also, publics raise money for stuff in other ways besides levies. Ask Centerville. They'll tell you.

What's the difference? It's all about raking in the dough isn't it? Also, publics raise money for stuff in other ways besides levies. Ask Centerville. They'll tell you.
The difference is Private schools are basically a business. More students paying tuition equals more money to the school. A radio ad or mailers to the general public is a lot different than say the athletic department focusing on a specific student athlete. Didn't you guys get a donations from John Legend for some football equipment? So don't act like of someone stepped up and anted to build a facility for Springfield the school would turn it down. Maybe Douglass should focus more on fundraising than recruiting. Imagine the money he could bring in.

The difference is Private schools are basically a business. More students paying tuition equals more money to the school. A radio ad or mailers to the general public is a lot different than say the athletic department focusing on a specific student athlete. Didn't you guys get a donations from John Legend for some football equipment? So don't act like of someone stepped up and anted to build a facility for Springfield the school would turn it down. Maybe Douglass should focus more on fundraising than recruiting. Imagine the money he could bring in.
What I don't understand is why you automatically assume any kid who transfers was improperly "recruited" in violation of something. Why do you jump to that conclusion that the coach or other school officials knowingly violated recruiting bylaws simply because a student moved to Springfield and transferred in? OHSAA bylaws do not forbid students and their families from moving and transferring, even if it's for the admitted purpose of playing a sport. Last time I checked, it's a free country. Adults don't forfeit their constitutional right to travel and live wherever they want simply because their kid plays HS football.

What I don't understand is why you automatically assume any kid who transfers was improperly "recruited" in violation of something. Why do you jump to that conclusion that the coach or other school officials knowingly violated recruiting bylaws simply because a student moved to Springfield and transferred in? OHSAA bylaws do not forbid students and their families from moving and transferring, even if it's for the admitted purpose of playing a sport. Last time I checked, it's a free country. Adults don't forfeit their constitutional right to travel and live wherever they want simply because their kid plays HS football.
Same reason you assume any kid that transfers to a private or transferred to Wayne is or was recruited. You were one of the first people to complain about the Hoban kid going to Moeller. Claimed it was evidence Moe D was right about privates recruiting the whole state. Why did you assume that? Probably because they have done it in the past and are probably still doing it. So most logical people look at SHS and see a few transfers a year and think well he recruited at Trotwood so he must still be doing it. What's that saying? Where there is smoke there is fire. Of course there is always the video above be careful re-watching it you may burn yourself.

Same reason you assume any kid that transfers to a private or transferred to Wayne is or was recruited. You were one of the first people to complain about the Hoban kid going to Moeller. Claimed it was evidence Moe D was right about privates recruiting the whole state. Why did you assume that? Probably because they have done it in the past and are probably still doing it. So most logical people look at SHS and see a few transfers a year and think well he recruited at Trotwood so he must still be doing it. What's that saying? Where there is smoke there is fire. Of course there is always the video above be careful re-watching it you may burn yourself.
So you admit it's just pure speculation on your part. Thank you for that ..