2023 Glenville Football

Doesn't it seem strange that the other Cleveland City Schools are all in a higher division than Glenville D4? John Marshall D1, John Adams D2, John Hay D2, Rhodes D2, East Technical D3,Lincoln West D3, and Collinwood D3.
Here's a better question: Doesn't it seem odd to hate another school because its successful?

Last edited:
Glenville is the UCF of college football for the 2017 and 2018 seasons. D4 isn't D1 or D2.

Things change fast.

Honestly, I hope these kids are cleared to play since they started the season with them and D4 might be more competitive than we think

Honestly, I hope these kids are cleared to play since they started the season with them and D4 might be more competitive than we think
I believe you mean that you wish all the out-of-towners who transferred to GA and walked on the Glenville football team were subject to the same regulations as all other transfers in OH. OHSAA appears to have already authorized more than half of their OOT GA transfers, so something must be up with the 6 or 7 that are being held out.

Hopefully they will at least give them a 1 CB after all this 😂.

I believe you mean that you wish all the out-of-towners who transferred to GA and walked on the Glenville football team were subject to the same regulations as all other transfers in OH. OHSAA appears to have already authorized more than half of their OOT GA transfers, so something must be up with the 6 or 7 that are being held out.

Well look, I get the sentiment, but at this point, I want to see if anyone in D4 can give them a game with all hands on deck more than anything.

I also hate to say it, but this type of transferring is going to continue. Especially as the state government loosens the voucher program.

Why do we let OHSAA dictate who has to pick up and relocate and who does not, who can play sports or not, etc? I thought deep red conservative Ohio was all about liberty, school choice, parental choice, etc. Or does that sentiment only include public to private and vouchers?

I am also under the impression that GA is a Public Charter, which means that kids who attend from outside the school zone it is located in have to play sports for their home school. There are many public charter schools in Ohio who have kids who attend from all over but they play at their home school.

Now, from there though, you can likely recruit kids to move into your attendance zone or at least establish a residence there. I can't imagine there being a shortage of available properties in the CMSD or Glenville attendance zone that one would be able to use to establish a residence there to play sports.

I think people would be less upset if they weren't D4. However, there are plenty of schools in all levels who engage in recruiting type behavior, both public and private schools. The state sets basic rules and the OHSAA has additional transfer rules, however, schools have to turn other schools in for it and then there is the evidence gathering piece and then investigation and depending on when a school turned in another, you have to wait a while for a judgement.

I'm not a huge fan of the way these things work, but look around, Florida is the wild wild west when it comes to being able to transfer and play. We have the transfer portal in college which is out of control, and even these travel teams contibute to the mentality of jumping around school to school. Our culture in America lends itself to this anyway. I don't think we should be surprised.

Doesn't it seem strange that the other Cleveland City Schools are all in a higher division than Glenville D4? John Marshall D1, John Adams D2, John Hay D2, Rhodes D2, East Technical D3,Lincoln West D3, and Collinwood D3.
Very interesting point. Sure looks like enrollment manipulation….. but who knows. They must be the smallest “large inner city school” in the US. 😂

I am also under the impression that GA is a Public Charter, which means that kids who attend from outside the school zone it is located in have to play sports for their home school. There are many public charter schools in Ohio who have kids who attend from all over but they play at their home school.

Now, from there though, you can likely recruit kids to move into your attendance zone or at least establish a residence there. I can't imagine there being a shortage of available properties in the CMSD or Glenville attendance zone that one would be able to use to establish a residence there to play sports.

I think people would be less upset if they weren't D4. However, there are plenty of schools in all levels who engage in recruiting type behavior, both public and private schools. The state sets basic rules and the OHSAA has additional transfer rules, however, schools have to turn other schools in for it and then there is the evidence gathering piece and then investigation and depending on when a school turned in another, you have to wait a while for a judgement.

I'm not a huge fan of the way these things work, but look around, Florida is the wild wild west when it comes to being able to transfer and play. We have the transfer portal in college which is out of control, and even these travel teams contibute to the mentality of jumping around school to school. Our culture in America lends itself to this anyway. I don't think we should be surprised.
It's a public magnet.

I don't care about transferring at all. It is what it is. I think the 6'4 260-lb DL from Benny should be able to transfer after they went 0-10. I'm saying a lot of transfers get denied, and a lot of schools with a similar number of transfers or a few less than GA have a fairly large CB number. They are bringing in double-digit players, not 1 or 2.

It's a public magnet.

I don't care about transferring at all. It is what it is. I think the 6'4 260-lb DL from Benny should be able to transfer after they went 0-10. I'm saying a lot of transfers get denied, and a lot of schools with a similar number of transfers or a few less than GA have a fairly large CB number. They are bringing in double-digit players, not 1 or 2.

That is an OHSAA question/problem. From what I understand Glenville would be happy to have a CB applied to those players, or not applied to those players, they just want them to be allowed to play. And they should be allowed to play!

If they are ineligible, at least the Glenville Kids will have a chance to play.

Last year, Steubenville had a starter who was declared ineligible after WK 5, it sucks.

Oh I know. We been there too. It used to be sit out 1st half of the season till someone decided that was not punitive enough so they made it 2nd half, which is a horrible disservice to everyone involved. Who in the hell is going to start a QB, RB, or anyone, only to yank them mid-season? Complete bs.

I know I am way late to the party but I only recently got interested in the Glenville division controversy. It is quite the intriguing circumstance …..You have a public school with a geographic population of a D1 school but unfortunately it has the academic appeal of a pile of dogshit so no students actually want to enroll there. The situation would not be unique except the fact that Glenville has managed to keep their sports programs more intact than their academic programs. We all have failing schools in every region. Usually their sports programs reflect the same neglect as their academic performance and thus no one complains as they usually are not competitive and the lucky and athletically gifted residents usually end up playing for a private school in the area and getting a good education( Hence the competitive balance system) The competitive balance system was really only designed to protect public schools from the inherent advantages private schools have over larger geographic regions and in attracting athletic talent. Glenville is the exact opposite situation . Glenville is in essence acting like a private school in terms of its sports programs in that most of the students attend charter schools for their education but since the charters do not offer sports , the athletes all play for the public school as they should. Since the actual enrollment of Glenville is so low, they are placed in D IV and there is no competitive balance adjustment since they all reside in the large geographic zone for the school district. I see where many view this as unfair or providing a competitive advantage and it certainly does. Most D IV schools have to attract a large percent of male students to the program to just have enough to be two deep at most positions and many play players both ways due to limited talent. That said, Glenville did not design the system and the division decisions itself are according to the rules in place. (Playing ineligible players would be an entirely different issue) Hard to hate on Glenville for playing by the rules as written.

I for one think the main theme is the utter FAILURE of the public school system here. Lets not forget the main job here is to educated our children. I am happy that this Ginn Academy exists to give some educational balance to the Glenville athletes( as well as other charters) and Bless Ginn for seeing a problem and doing something about it. Glenville’s report card is as bad as it gets (0% of students are proficient) and I feel for the parents that are seeking creative alternatives to better educate their children. It is obvious that the Glenville team is a source of pride for the community as it should be. They are a talented team and very capable of competing against higher division teams and still being very successful.

The CB system could be fixed by removing the exemption for home schools and straight up making adjustments based on those attending or not attending the school. No system is “fair” to everyone but Glenville is simply a situation not conceived by the current system. I am sure it will be discussed and proper changes proposed and debated as they should be. If our team faces Glenville in the postseason. I will just pray for bad weather……….

I’m sure everyone at Ginnville just wants those kids to be able to play. Now it’s “go ahead and add to our CB number”. See, here is the problem that you fail to see. Rules apply to everyone. If OHSAA is our governing body then you must follow their rules. You can’t just go out and make up your own own way like Glenville did and has done. It’s called cheating. If there are kids that were found ineligible and they participated I say bring down the hammer. The blame falls squarely on the Glenville admin, Ginn admin and the head coach. Again!!!

The competitive balance system was really only designed to protect public schools from the inherent advantages private schools have over larger geographic regions and in attracting athletic talent.

How so? Seems to me public transfers are treated as harshly if not more so.

Had you said Open Enrollment instead of CB then I might agree with your point.

Most D IV schools have to attract a large percent of male students to the program to just have enough to be two deep at most positions and many play players both ways due to limited talent.

I really do not see that so much a problem at the D4 level. There are 3 whole divisions below that. And certainly not with private school powers, who punch WELL above their weight in enrollment vs. talent level.

I’m sure everyone at Ginnville just wants those kids to be able to play. Now it’s “go ahead and add to our CB number”. See, here is the problem that you fail to see. Rules apply to everyone. If OHSAA is our governing body then you must follow their rules. You can’t just go out and make up your own own way like Glenville did and has done. It’s called cheating. If there are kids that were found ineligible and they participated I say bring down the hammer. The blame falls squarely on the Glenville admin, Ginn admin and the head coach. Again!!!
Read the post before yours so you dont sound like an idiot next time. I dont even know where to start maybe just stop talking about things you dont know amything about

I know I am way late to the party but I only recently got interested in the Glenville division controversy. It is quite the intriguing circumstance …..You have a public school with a geographic population of a D1 school but unfortunately it has the academic appeal of a pile of dogshit so no students actually want to enroll there. The situation would not be unique except the fact that Glenville has managed to keep their sports programs more intact than their academic programs. We all have failing schools in every region. Usually their sports programs reflect the same neglect as their academic performance and thus no one complains as they usually are not competitive and the lucky and athletically gifted residents usually end up playing for a private school in the area and getting a good education( Hence the competitive balance system) The competitive balance system was really only designed to protect public schools from the inherent advantages private schools have over larger geographic regions and in attracting athletic talent. Glenville is the exact opposite situation . Glenville is in essence acting like a private school in terms of its sports programs in that most of the students attend charter schools for their education but since the charters do not offer sports , the athletes all play for the public school as they should. Since the actual enrollment of Glenville is so low, they are placed in D IV and there is no competitive balance adjustment since they all reside in the large geographic zone for the school district. I see where many view this as unfair or providing a competitive advantage and it certainly does. Most D IV schools have to attract a large percent of male students to the program to just have enough to be two deep at most positions and many play players both ways due to limited talent. That said, Glenville did not design the system and the division decisions itself are according to the rules in place. (Playing ineligible players would be an entirely different issue) Hard to hate on Glenville for playing by the rules as written.

I for one think the main theme is the utter FAILURE of the public school system here. Lets not forget the main job here is to educated our children. I am happy that this Ginn Academy exists to give some educational balance to the Glenville athletes( as well as other charters) and Bless Ginn for seeing a problem and doing something about it. Glenville’s report card is as bad as it gets (0% of students are proficient) and I feel for the parents that are seeking creative alternatives to better educate their children. It is obvious that the Glenville team is a source of pride for the community as it should be. They are a talented team and very capable of competing against higher division teams and still being very successful.

The CB system could be fixed by removing the exemption for home schools and straight up making adjustments based on those attending or not attending the school. No system is “fair” to everyone but Glenville is simply a situation not conceived by the current system. I am sure it will be discussed and proper changes proposed and debated as they should be. If our team faces Glenville in the postseason. I will just pray for bad weather……….
GA is public magnet not a charter. I'm sure you have no idea where all of their (GA/Glenville) transfers attended high school last year. The majority of them attended very good high schools such as Walsh, Hoban, Lutheran West, Solon, Maple Hts, Benny, Garfield Hts, Clev Hts, and others.

It's clearly about football, not education, and that's fine with me as long as they're tagged just like everyone else.

How so? Seems to me public transfers are treated as harshly if not more so.

Had you said Open Enrollment instead of CB then I might agree with your point.
Public to public transfers are more harsh. Public to private are not. This was my point that private schools have an inherent advantage as private schools do not have geographic bounderies to limit them, usually offer superior academics, and are not penalized for transfer (except the CB score). In Glenville's case it is private to public which is not very well conceived by the current system. Similar advantages to private schools (as Glenville has a far more populated geographic region to pull from).

IF Glenville has students playing that do not reside in the geographic boundaries of Glenville, that is an entirely different issue than my comments which were just based on the division issue. Based on their 0 CB number, Glenville is representing that all their players reside within the district. I have no basis for comment on that issue. (very few public facts outside of rumor and their previous suspension for a similar situation)

GA is public magnet not a charter. I'm sure you have no idea where all of their (GA/Glenville) transfers attended high school last year. The majority of them attended very good high schools such as Walsh, Hoban, Lutheran West, Solon, Maple Hts, Benny, Garfield Hts, Clev Hts, and others.

It's clearly about football, not education, and that's fine with me as long as they're tagged just like everyone else.

It is clearly about a sport for most athletic transfers, and many (I will stop short of most) private school juggernauts. Let's be real.

Of course, but by leaving the schools I mentioned, they aren't improving their education. The poster perhaps thought all the transfers were from other CMSD schools.

Sorry, but I hate this^. It is not up to you to be the father of someone else's kid and decide what is best for them, which entail other factors as well. And yes including sports. Fwiw many city schools have students who excel in advanced classes and are able to attend Ivy League schools etc, and would NOT improve by transferring to some private school or suburb for a wad of cash. Some believe their limited resources are better spent on college tuition. To each their own!

Sorry, but I hate this^. It is not up to you to be the father of someone else's kid and decide what is best for them, which entail other factors as well. And yes including sports. Fwiw many city schools have students who excel in advanced classes and are able to attend Ivy League schools etc, and would NOT improve by transferring to some private school or suburb for a wad of cash. Some believe their limited resources are better spent on college tuition. To each their own!
Go back and read his article. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you that CMSD is superior to institutions like Hoban and Benedictine in the classroom.

Go back and read his article. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you that CMSD is superior to institutions like Hoban and Benedictine in the classroom.

Fair enough, let's pay them to teach all the CMSD kids. No chance of refusal, integrated into their population, a public BOE, responsible to state for meeting all student requirements and right and testing. Let's see that superiority at work. How could any solid economic entity pass up the opportunity?

Wait, before you go to all that effort, why not first ask the teachers at those schools if they think they can deliver a superior education than do their public counterparts. I think that will more quickly soften your misconceptions. lol

Fair enough, let's pay them to teach all the CMSD kids. No chance of refusal, integrated into their population, a public BOE, responsible to state for meeting all student requirements and right and testing. Let's see that superiority at work. How could any solid economic entity pass up the opportunity?

Wait, before you go to all that effort, why not first ask the teachers at those schools if they think they can deliver a superior education than do their public counterparts. I think that will more quickly soften your misconceptions. lol
Someone said GA was an upgrade for CMSD kids, which I can't disagree with. But that was off topic; the discussion was about all the kids that were transferring from schools OUTSIDE of CMSD into GA so they could play football for Glenville. Now some guy is trying to claim that Glenville is safer than Rocky River or Twinsburg, and that GA is a better option academically than St. Eds, Hoban, etc., which is straight BS.

*Also, I never once said someone from a public school couldn't be successful; I have no clue where he got that from.

Very interesting point. Sure looks like enrollment manipulation….. but who knows. They must be the smallest “large inner city school” in the US. 😂
It's interesting that you still have a rape-enabler and apologist on your sidelines.

Steubenville:
where No means "whatever we want it to mean, depending on the circumstances and situation"

And I do understand why you guys hate playing road games after you went to Youngstown and Ursuline opened up a can on you. I mean, when you're so used to playing at home against pasties, it can be tough sledding when you face a team that can and will fight back. I get it

I'm from Steubenville and root for Big Red, but can we all give Glenville their thread back. People talking about Glenville's transfers and Big Red/Massillon talk. This is for Glenville fans to talk about their team. Start a new post if you want to talk about this stuff.

I came here to learn about what the Tarblooders have and how their on field performances have been, not this non-sense.

It's interesting that you still have a rape-enabler and apologist on your sidelines.

Steubenville:
where No means "whatever we want it to mean, depending on the circumstances and situation"

And I do understand why you guys hate playing road games after you went to Youngstown and Ursuline opened up a can on you. I mean, when you're so used to playing at home against pasties, it can be tough sledding when you face a team that can and will fight back. I get it
Do they even have a thread for themselves? Nothing to talk about when you have a schedule worse than a Senate League school you're obsessed over and have FULL control over who you play