2023 Elder Freshman Football

He’s the Moe school president. It’s fair to say, he does not have a ‘presidential relationship’ with many schools around the area, possibly including Elder. That’s something I’m not privy to, but would not surprise me.

I’m sure I made that clear as mud. 😉
Didn’t Moeller have a pretty good athlete named Hyzdu back in the day? That’s who I was thinking of when I saw that name.

It wasn’t really a Hail Mary, a normal pass play. Elder was losing 14-13 when they got the ball back on the fumble recovery. This was going to be the last play of the game regardless of what happened and there was no way any of Elder’s freshmen QBs could have thrown the ball into the end zone for a typical Hail Mary. The ball traveled maybe twenty yards in the air and the receiver out ran the defenders to the end zone. I think Andrioco (sp?) was at QB for that series and maybe Paff was the receiver. The receiver was able to get a few steps behind the defense and the QB pretty much hit him in stride. It was a beautiful play. Elder’s offense had three critical turnovers in the game, at least two of them deep in Mason territory. One of Mason’s two TDs came on a pic 6. Mason had a pretty good running back who broke a long run tor their other TD. Overall Elder played a pretty good game.
Good report. WR was Walpole. Andriacco was flushed from the pocket and made a perfect throw on the run about one yard before the line of scrimmage. Walpole was running a cross pattern and made eye contact with Andriacco during the scramble. Andriacco motioned to him to adjust his route to a deep sideline and Andriacco hit him in stride. It was beautiful.
Two touchdown passes to Stokes, one from Andriacco, one from Queen.
The pick six against us was a tipped ball, just unlucky. Defense only allowed one score.
Paff played OLB all game.
Forced fumble with 1:30 left in the game at the Elder 25ish. It was bleak. Kudos to the team and coaches for stepping up at the end.

Good report. WR was Walpole. Andriacco was flushed from the pocket and made a perfect throw on the run about one yard before the line of scrimmage. Walpole was running a cross pattern and made eye contact with Andriacco during the scramble. Andriacco motioned to him to adjust his route to a deep sideline and Andriacco hit him in stride. It was beautiful.
Two touchdown passes to Stokes, one from Andriacco, one from Queen.
The pick six against us was a tipped ball, just unlucky. Defense only allowed one score.
Paff played OLB all game.
Forced fumble with 1:30 left in the game at the Elder 25ish. It was bleak. Kudos to the team and coaches for stepping up at the end.
You obviously pay closer attention than I do. 🤣 Honestly I thought the game was over, I didn’t think Elder had a chance to pull the that one out.

You obviously pay closer attention than I do. 🤣 Honestly I thought the game was over, I didn’t think Elder had a chance to pull the that one out.
I was fortunate enough to be able to view a video of the last play. I watched it 4 or 5 times...it was a religious experience...;)

One reason to be positive about this class, they have talent at the skill positions. Craig at RB is very raw, but he has the ability to be a difference maker if coached up.

One reason to be positive about this class, they have talent at the skill positions. Craig at RB is very raw, but he has the ability to be a difference maker if coached up.
I thought Craig looked really good against X. He didn’t play a ton because they kept rotating but every time he carried the ball it seemed like he was getting 6-8 yards a run. I think his first year of playing football might have been in 8th grade.

I thought Craig looked really good against X. He didn’t play a ton because they kept rotating but every time he carried the ball it seemed like he was getting 6-8 yards a run. I think his first year of playing football might have been in 8th grade.
Is he from the GCYL? I don’t remember a Craig last year.

Looked good last night as well, be rotated a lot with a couple other kids.

Looked good last night as well, be rotated a lot with a couple other kids.
He’s the only RB at any level, that has the ability to be a true RB1. And just as his potential is obvious, so is the fact he needs to be coached up.

Yea, I know. It was Moeller folks.

Seems I’m a day ahead here.

Not only do they have a team, they look pretty good based on results. Currently 5-4. 33 freshman on the LS roster.

Colerain lost 0-14
Northmont won 30-18
Fairmont lost 12-28
Lou. St. X won 22-6
Anderson won 58-24
Moeller lost 12-30
Lakota East won 58-24
St. X won 14-6

Not only do they have a team, they look pretty good based on results. Currently 5-4. 33 freshman on the LS roster.

Colerain lost 0-14
Northmont won 30-18
Fairmont lost 12-28
Lou. St. X won 22-6
Anderson won 58-24
Moeller lost 12-30
Lakota East won 58-24
St. X won 14-6
Yeah, I’ve heard they have some nice players. They did lose to Edgewood last week, which hoser seems to think I need a reminder about every couple days. Of course those Edgewood kids have probably been playing together for years.

I want to go, but I think Elder gets spanked again. Won’t know how good this Elder class until JV

Never mind. I see why no one answered.
No need to worry. The 1960 Frehman team went 0-10. As Sophomores they had a new coach went 9-0-1 and won the GCL Actually happened.

but as Seniors they posted the worse record to date at that time in Elder history. 2-7-1 (1963 season) maybe worry a little

No need to worry. The 1960 Frehman team went 0-10. As Sophomores they had a new coach went 9-0-1 and won the GCL Actually happened.

but as Seniors they posted the worse record to date at that time in Elder history. 2-7-1 (1963 season) maybe worry a little
I understand they’re in a difficult spot balancing getting as many kids as much PT as possible, but kids are going to start quitting bc they can’t win games at this level. They’re not even competing in most of their losses.

This is what we understood at Moe.

I believe he had a stop at Turpin as well. I’m not a subscriber so cannot read the article. I assume his time at McNick is mentioned?
McNicks Stadium is named Penn Station and the field Klonne Field. Nice plaque near the end zone commemorating him.

While I cant dismiss anyone's point on frosh football being a mental challenge for the families, the approach Elder has is very similar to other schools. I know St. X does it the way Elder does. Most of us with kids who played football at Elder went through the same process and the competitiveness as parents makes very frustrating. The kids that quit have other interests in some not all cases, but the ones that stick it out benefit in the long run as long as they are willing to be patient. There are way to many examples of solid players from grade school to FR year that dont play, only to be elevated the next year when the varsity coaches are engaged with them throughout the full offseason and season.

If kids love football they will stick it out and not find blame with their experiences freshman year.

While I cant dismiss anyone's point on frosh football being a mental challenge for the families, the approach Elder has is very similar to other schools. I know St. X does it the way Elder does. Most of us with kids who played football at Elder went through the same process and the competitiveness as parents makes very frustrating. The kids that quit have other interests in some not all cases, but the ones that stick it out benefit in the long run as long as they are willing to be patient. There are way to many examples of solid players from grade school to FR year that dont play, only to be elevated the next year when the varsity coaches are engaged with them throughout the full offseason and season.

If kids love football they will stick it out and not find blame with their experiences freshman year.
I’m not sure I agree. Nobody loves losing. Let’s call it what it is, they were a bad team this yr. That doesn’t mean they weren’t talented, but kids need to decide if they want to spend 3 more years (which is a lot of time to a 14/15 yr old) playing football and they might just decide they don’t want to waste time if they’re going to keep losing.

And if their approach is similar to X, why are they so much worse at this level? This is 3 Freshman seasons in a row where the record has been awful.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I agree. Nobody loves losing. Let’s call it what it is, they were a bad team this yr. That doesn’t mean they weren’t talented, but kids need to decide if they want to spend 3 more years (which is a lot of time to a 14/15 yr old) playing football and they might just decide they don’t want to waste time if they’re going to keep losing.

And if their approach is similar to X, why are they so much worse at this level? This is 3 Freshman seasons in a row where the record has been awful.
Omar - coming from you who didn't play and assume you don't have kids of your own, I woundn't expect you to agree or understand. Winning at the FR level has never been a priority at Elder especially with 70 kids or so the last few years.

Omar - coming from you who didn't play and assume you don't have kids of your own, I woundn't expect you to agree or understand. Winning at the FR level has never been a priority at Elder especially with 70 kids or so the last few years.
I know kids don’t want to put in the years of work if they think they have no chance at being good.