2023 EBC Baseball

Same point. Coaches should take vans like so many other schools do. Figure it out Quakers! And yes I’m calling out my own FITFO
Take a van? They seat 7 plus gear and their roster has to be at least 14 kids, is coach gonna get a trailer to pull behind for the second half of the roster?

So I’m going back to baseball talk not logistics.
West Branch overall 8-1 / 4-0 EBC
Alliance 8-2 / 3-1
Carrollton 6-2 / 2-2
Salem 4-4 / 1-3
Minerva 4-6 / 1-3
Marlington 3-5 / 1/3

lots of competitive games left before this shakes out

Take a van? They seat 7 plus gear and their roster has to be at least 14 kids, is coach gonna get a trailer to pull behind for the second half of the roster?
Minerva usually takes 2 vans and the coaches drive them. We rarely have 14 kids travel to a game and I could see bus availability being a problem with most of them being used to get the elementary kids home after school. Again. I really don't think Salem's arrival time had anything to do with the final score.

So I’m going back to baseball talk not logistics.
West Branch overall 8-1 / 4-0 EBC
Alliance 8-2 / 3-1
Carrollton 6-2 / 2-2
Salem 4-4 / 1-3
Minerva 4-6 / 1-3
Marlington 3-5 / 1/3

lots of competitive games left before this shakes out
We will probably talking about a different favorite to win the league every week!

This is a problem in multiple districts. There is a bus driver shortage amongst everything else in society as well. I don’t know how their school system runs but if they are short drivers and they have to run elementary kids home and wait on them to return around 4 or after to get an available driver, that could be the reason. I’ve saw it a couple times already this year. Most of the time the opposing team knows ahead of time and the start is delayed. Even if it was unknown there is no way any reasonable umpire is letting them start without a warmup.
They were late but I don't feel that it had anything to do with the result. They warmed up, Wilms was throwing fine in the first inning. Minerva's first 5 hitters are as good as anyone and Isaiah Frazier is a very good pitcher and kept them off balance the entire game, just like had done in all of his other starts. Keep in mind the Minerva finished the game with 9 hits and Salem played some good D to keep it at 2-2. In the last inning a freshman drew a walk, a freshman hit a long double, a bunt single loaded the bases and out lead off hitter, Frazier hit a lazy liner over the infield for the win. Salem played a good baseball game but Minerva was 1 run better and Salem being late had nothing to due with 3-2 result. Perhaps Salem underestimated Minerva but the credit goes to Minerva-
Many school districts are struggling with a shortage of school bus drivers which would definitely impact a district's ability to transport students to extra curricular events that are scheduled after school. Some districts are fortunate to have school vans in which coaches have been certified to be able to drive to offset a need for a bus, this definitely helps with teams that smaller numbers of athletes.

Facts:

1. Salem arrived late
2. Both teams played 7 innings
3. Minerva was the team that made the most of their opportunities and appeared to execute down the stretch.

One valuable takeaway from athletics is that it prepares you to handle adversity. Sounds like the "main argument" as to why Salem may not have performed "their best" is because of lack of proper warm up time. I say proper, because once off the bus, although they did take the field, stretch, throw, etc., there did not appear to be a sense or urgency to be efficient with the time they had.

Stop making excuses, pointing fingers, etc. If we as adults keep making excuses, our children then learn to accept those excuses and they will fail. The season is still young, there is a lot of ball left to play which allows these young men to continue to learn, grow and develop in the game of baseball and life.

Good luck to all!
fantastic post! Great game and every kid played hard on both teams. Salem is very good and will make some noise regardless of how and when they get to their games. Minerva is underrated, especially offensively. Salem will be a very dangerous team the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Many school districts are struggling with a shortage of school bus drivers which would definitely impact a district's ability to transport students to extra curricular events that are scheduled after school. Some districts are fortunate to have school vans in which coaches have been certified to be able to drive to offset a need for a bus, this definitely helps with teams that smaller numbers of athletes.

Facts:

1. Salem arrived late
2. Both teams played 7 innings
3. Minerva was the team that made the most of their opportunities and appeared to execute down the stretch.

One valuable takeaway from athletics is that it prepares you to handle adversity. Sounds like the "main argument" as to why Salem may not have performed "their best" is because of lack of proper warm up time. I say proper, because once off the bus, although they did take the field, stretch, throw, etc., there did not appear to be a sense or urgency to be efficient with the time they had.

Stop making excuses, pointing fingers, etc. If we as adults keep making excuses, our children then learn to accept those excuses and they will fail. The season is still young, there is a lot of ball left to play which allows these young men to continue to learn, grow and develop in the game of baseball and life.

Good luck to all!
Awesome addition to the thread. Couldn't agree more.

Attachments

• 8F7D21B3-D16F-48F5-8FCF-034FE54B43EF.gif
    8F7D21B3-D16F-48F5-8FCF-034FE54B43EF.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Wow. What a classic. It definitely was a dogfight last night as mentioned earlier. I traveled to watch them and that was one to remember for sure. Looked like 1 vs 1 did not disappoint whatsoever as Alazaus is a great pitcher for only being a sophomore but Bennett had a perfect game going through the 5th and was hitting his spots last night. Improving to I believe 5-0 on the year. 9ks on 83 pitches last night, 3 earned runs. Sr Rome Biggers really played well yesterday as he made a play or two in the field and hit amazing as he clutched up in the top of the 7th hitting a double off the left field fence and scoring 2 to bring us ahead 5-4.

WP: Bennett 9K, 3ER, 0BB

Bruni 1-3 1B, 1BB
KV Davis 2-3 3B, 1RBI
Biggers 3-4 2 1B, 2B, 3 RBI

Looking forward to tonight’s game vs the Warriors, another dog fight incoming!!!

Wow. What a classic. It definitely was a dogfight last night as mentioned earlier. I traveled to watch them and that was one to remember for sure. Looked like 1 vs 1 did not disappoint whatsoever as Alazaus is a great pitcher for only being a sophomore but Bennett had a perfect game going through the 5th and was hitting his spots last night. Improving to I believe 5-0 on the year. 9ks on 83 pitches last night, 3 earned runs. Sr Rome Biggers really played well yesterday as he made a play or two in the field and hit amazing as he clutched up in the top of the 7th hitting a double off the left field fence and scoring 2 to bring us ahead 5-4.

WP: Bennett 9K, 3ER, 0BB

Bruni 1-3 1B, 1BB
KV Davis 2-3 3B, 1RBI
Biggers 3-4 2 1B, 2B, 3 RBI

Looking forward to tonight’s game vs the Warriors, another dog fight incoming!!!
Absolute instant classic. Cant wait for tonight’s matchup. If it’s anything like last night they’re gonna need to restock Phantoms because it’ll be full of FIREWORKS

My hopes for a turnaround are fading. Quakers just can’t get it going it seems. They can still get hot in the tournament. I’d be willing to bet teams stay away. Could be wrong on a side note WB getting swept by Alliance is surprising. Alliance must be be playing good baseball

Updated EBC standing from quick game changer check

Alliance 12-3 / 5-1
Carrollton 10-2 / 4-2
West Branch 10-3 / 4-2
Marlington 5-8 / 3-3
Salem 5-6 / 1-5 ugh!
Minerva 4-9 / 1-5

still 4 games vs EBC teams so it’s still up for grabs at the top

hope everyone is staying healthy as tournament time inches closer and closer

Last edited:
Didn't see any games last week but I heard Minerva's freshman pitcher looked pretty good last Friday. He may start seeing some league action. He is a tall kid at around 6'4" or so and can throw it pretty well. I believe he last name is Wood.

West Branch beat Carrollton 3-2 tonight so they are both 5-3.
Alliance beat Minerva so Alliance is 6-1 and Minerva is 1-6.
Marlington is close to sweeping Salem so the Dukes will be 5-3 and Salem 1-7 barring a huge comeback.
Alliance can clinch a share of the title Thursday by beating Minerva.

West Branch beat Carrollton 3-2 tonight so they are both 5-3.
Alliance beat Minerva so Alliance is 6-1 and Minerva is 1-6.
Marlington is close to sweeping Salem so the Dukes will be 5-3 and Salem 1-7 barring a huge comeback.
Alliance can clinch a share of the title Thursday by beating Minerva.
This season has been nothing short of a disaster for Salem, remarkable how poorly they've played with a roster full of very talented kids