2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

Trey Townsend just doesn’t quite move the needle for me, he’s only 6’6 with little outside game. Poor mans Deshaun Thomas is what he is.

He does provide toughness and experience. Those are positives.
I’m sure but he just doesn’t fit with this roster, he won’t have the space to operate either considering OSU currently doesn’t have one player who can hit over 40% from 3. He had alot more space to work at Oakland because they had so many guys who could hit the 3.

I’m sure but he just doesn’t fit with this roster, he won’t have the space to operate either considering OSU currently doesn’t have one player who can hit over 40% from 3. He had alot more space to work at Oakland because they had so many guys who could hit the 3.
Yes, I thought about his Oakland offense versus the tighter OSU offense, but…love it or hate it…they still do some inside banging in the B1G. Zed Key was a respectable banger when he was fat. He was useless after the weight loss, of course. My point is there was a role at one time for a physical Zed Key. Townsend can fill that niche and is far more skilled than Zed ever was.

Yes, I thought about his Oakland offense versus the tighter OSU offense, but…love it or hate it…they still do some inside banging in the B1G. Zed Key was a respectable banger when he was fat. He was useless after the weight loss, of course. My point is there was a role at one time for a physical Zed Key. Townsend can fill that niche and is far more skilled than Zed ever was.
I don’t think Townsend is nearly as thick as Zed and also once inch shorter. If he can transform his game in the offseason and become a 2 guard that would be great, I wouldn’t hold my breath though. Just think it’s going to be very difficult for him.

A guy like Townsend who’s only 6’6 should be able to play on the wing, hit outside shots and take the ball to the rack. He plays like he’s 6’10 when he’s 6’6.

Oakland didn't have guys shotting over 40% from 3 on the season but Townsend was at 38% so he is a 3 point threat. Jamison Battle shot 31% when he was recruited in the portal.

I don’t think Townsend is nearly as thick as Zed and also once inch shorter.
Not to mention while Zed was only 6’7” (or 6’8” depending where you look), he has freakishly long arms, think his wingspan is something like 7’2”. I’m not sure what Townsends wingspan is but his arms don’t seem nearly as long as Zed’s.

Jamison Battle shot 31% when he was recruited in the portal.
Just in 2022-2023 though. For his career, prior to coming to Ohio State he was a 35% shooter.

Still to your point I don’t think there was anything to suggest he would ever be a 43+% shooter like he was for Ohio State.

Just in 2022-2023 though. For his career, prior to coming to Ohio State he was a 35% shooter.

Still to your point I don’t think there was anything to suggest he would ever be a 43+% shooter like he was for Ohio State.
5th year helps. Townsend will be in his 5th year; he will be stronger than he is now. Get Townsend and Stewart, along with Bradshaw, OSU has immensely improved their interior play esp. if Bradshaw lives up to his 5* status.

Edit: Battle at OSU played more like his 1st year at Minny than his 2nd year at Minny.

Last edited:
Oakland didn't have guys shotting over 40% from 3 on the season but Townsend was at 38% so he is a 3 point threat. Jamison Battle shot 31% when he was recruited in the portal.
Have you seen Townsend shoot? There’s hesitation in his shot because you can tell he’d rather not shoot from out there, only had 32 attempts on the season. I could have sworn Gohlke shot over 40% but you are correct. He did not

No. We need guys that ARE 6’10
Bradshaw and if (big if) OSU lands Stewart he is 6'9". But athletic 6'10" bball players don't grow on trees. How many 6'10" players did Kansas have that played were over 6'10" in 22 - one I believe or how many 6'10" players did Villanova have in 18. You don't have to have a dominant center to win college bball.

Edit: Did Baylor have a dominant big man in 21? No. In fact, Baylor was almost an entirely guard lineup.

Bradshaw and if (big if) OSU lands Stewart he is 6'9". But athletic 6'10" bball players don't grow on trees. How many 6'10" players did Kansas have that played were over 6'10" in 22 - one I believe or how many 6'10" players did Villanova have in 18. You don't have to have a dominant center to win college bball.

Edit: Did Baylor have a dominant big man in 21? No. In fact, Baylor was almost an entirely guard lineup.
Yes that is a BIG if. Andrew Carr is somebody Ohio State should be putting all of their money towards, rather have him than Stewart or Townsend.

There are exceptions to everything but the best teams have the best quality big men and stretch forwards on most occasions. Every UCONN title this century had a good big man with a lengthy stretch 4. UCONN was well ahead of the curve when it came to making sure always had that stretch 4 between 6’8-6-10.

OSU has had two players that I can recall that fit that billing in the 21st century. Keita Bates Diop and Laquinton Ross and we all know how good they were. If UNC, UCONN, and Alabama can get them then no reason that Ohio State cannot also get them

Yes that is a BIG if. Andrew Carr is somebody Ohio State should be putting all of their money towards, rather have him than Stewart or Townsend.

There are exceptions to everything but the best teams have the best quality big men and stretch forwards on most occasions. Every UCONN title this century had a good big man with a lengthy stretch 4. UCONN was well ahead of the curve when it came to making sure always had that stretch 4 between 6’8-6-10.

OSU has had two players that I can recall that fit that billing in the 21st century. Keita Bates Diop and Laquinton Ross and we all know how good they were. If UNC, UCONN, and Alabama can get them then no reason that Ohio State cannot also get them
Prediction: Ohio St gets tall players you will then say they aren’t athletic enough, or can’t shoot or aren’t heavy enough, or they aren’t Ohio State level

Last edited:
Have you seen Townsend shoot? There’s hesitation in his shot because you can tell he’d rather not shoot from out there, only had 32 attempts on the season. I could have sworn Gohlke shot over 40% but you are correct. He did not
Yes I have. He was the leading scorer for Oakland and I watched them play a few games even before the March Madness.

Oakland played OSU, ILL, X, Mich.St., Dayton, UK, NCS. this season, in those 7 games Towsend avg. 21ppg. and 8 boards. With a season high 30 vs the Wolfpack and a low of 17 vs 3 teams OSU, Mich. St., and UK. These are the facts not opinions.
I’ve said Townsend is better than Tanner Holden and Holden averaged around 16 ppg against that same type of competition in 2021 only to be a complete scrub at Ohio State. Townsend would be a solid role player but a role player isn’t what OSU needs

I’ve said Townsend is better than Tanner Holden and Holden averaged around 16 ppg against that same type of competition in 2021 only to be a complete scrub at Ohio State. Townsend would be a solid role player but a role player isn’t what OSU needs
When Arizona thinks you can help, you are definitely good enough for OSU. Would have been nice to land Townsend.

When Arizona thinks you can help, you are definitely good enough for OSU. Would have been nice to land Townsend.
This one stings, definitely need a FC player that can provide some scoring punch. Carr is likely a long shot not sure who else is available that could make an immediate impact.