2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

It will keep the team together and I think the Buckeyes will be a top 3 team in the BIG next year. Again, less the hire would have been a top D1 HC, it is a crap shoot hiring mid major HC's.
We could put together five Yappi posters and be top three in the Big Ten next year. The conference isn’t good now but will absolutely reek like a grease dumpster once Edey and cohorts move on.

I think the field narrowed dramatically in recent weeks with many (Paris, McDermott, Oats) getting extensions.

Probably was a big mistake by some to assume they'd make a splash due to big money and resources. They've never really made a bonafide splash hire in basketball. The biggest established names (Gary Williams and Jim O'Brien??) came from Boston College, and Williams left Columbus for Maryland within a few years. It's almost always been a rising mid-major coach or someone getting promoted internally.
Could say the same about football. Bruce was an asst. to Woody, Tressel came from YSU. Cooper sort of was and that did not work out, Meyer fell into OSU's lap. Day of course was an asst. to Meyer.

Have ND schedule OSU or any BIG team next year see who wins. Keep trolling.
Do you ever self-analyze your posts and realize you never rebut any of my arguments? All you do is make irrelevant comments about Notre Dame.

I can only assume you tacitly agree with my thought that the Big Ten without Edey, Shannon, Buie, etc. is going to really stink next year. Wisconsin, Purdue and Ohio State will probably be the best preseason Big Ten teams by default.

Do you ever self-analyze your posts and realize you never rebut any of my arguments? All you do is make irrelevant comments about Notre Dame.

I can only assume you tacitly agree with my thought that the Big Ten without Edey, Shannon, Buie, etc. is going to really stink next year. Wisconsin, Purdue and Ohio State will probably be the best preseason Big Ten teams by default.
All you do is troll, with your bashing of OSU and the BIG. OSU is going to be very next year assuming everyone returns experience does matter. You bashed the BIG all year look at Purdue's non-league schedule beat some really good teams and look at who beat the boilers this year (OSU). OSU, MSU, and Indiana (if most of the team returns) will all be very good next season but keep trolling and again go start a thread on irish bball not that anyone cares about ND bball.

All you do is troll, with your bashing of OSU and the BIG. OSU is going to be very next year assuming everyone returns experience does matter. You bashed the BIG all year look at Purdue's non-league schedule beat some really good teams and look at who beat the boilers this year (OSU). OSU, MSU, and Indiana (if most of the team returns) will all be very good next season but keep trolling and again go start a thread on irish bball not that anyone cares about ND bball.
I haven’t bashed Purdue at all this year. It’s very clear they’re very good. But the rest of the league isn’t pulling their weight, aside from Terrance Shannon and Boo Buie. Northwestern after Ty Berry’s injury has been down to three players who can score points (Buie, Barnhizer, Langborg) and still made it through the league well enough to get in the field.

A. B1G basketball over the past few years has been weak. Probably the lowest quality it’s been in 50 years.
B. I’ll support Diebler and hope for the best, but it’s disturbing that he’s the best they can get?

If they do confirm Diebler, I'm not jumping up and down excited, but I'm OK with it. I like what I have seen from him thus far. We are starting with Thornton, Gayle, Royal, Middleton and Okpara for next year. Flush the rest, bolster the roster with some bigger athletes, and let's go.

Clearly Bjork would have spoken with Diebler many times. Clearly the AD's office would have talked to the key returning players about their thoughts. Those of you that were in love with the Bjork hire, have a little faith in your man. He would not make a move if he did not think it was best for the program.

A. B1G basketball over the past few years has been weak. Probably the lowest quality it’s been in 50 years.
B. I’ll support Diebler and hope for the best, but it’s disturbing that he’s the best they can get?
Posters have been saying that about BIG football too and what league won the CFP this year albeit cheating but very few gave that team a snowballs chance of beating Bammy from the mighty SEC. OSU did not "settle" on Diebler , OSU most likely could have hired May or Miller or another mid major HC but decided on Diebler, I don't see anything disturbing about it at all.

Posters have been saying that about BIG football too and what league won the CFP this year albeit cheating but very few gave that team a snowballs chance of beating Bammy from the mighty SEC.
I’m not talking about football. B1G basketball hasn’t been this weak since pre-Knight.

If they do confirm Diebler, I'm not jumping up and down excited, but I'm OK with it. I like what I have seen from him thus far. We are starting with Thornton, Gayle, Royal, Middleton and Okpara for next year. Flush the rest, bolster the roster with some bigger athletes, and let's go.

Clearly Bjork would have spoken with Diebler many times. Clearly the AD's office would have talked to the key returning players about their thoughts. Those of you that were in love with the Bjork hire, have a little faith in your man. He would not make a move if he did not think it was best for the program.
Eric Reibe class of 25 a 7' center from Maryland has a CB on 247 to OSU. Diebler reportedly is a good recruiter.

I’m not talking about football. B1G basketball hasn’t been this weak since pre-Knight.
Point is posters have been saying the same thing about BIG football in fact a few years back BIG was thought of as a better bball conference than football. Even though not championships the BIG has had many FF4 appearances the last 20 years including OSU. These things run in cycles how good has the SEC been in bball lately?

Some posters including myself wanted a new AD and BBall coach. Didn't take long for some posters to question both new hires if indeed Diebler does get the job.

Last edited:
Some posters including myself wanted a new AD and BBall coach. Didn't take long for some posters to question (some rip) both new hires if indeed Diebler does get the job.
For some reason people think Ohio St should be able to hire anyone they want. It doesn’t work that way and it never will as a football first school. The one troll compared Ohio St to UNC. UNC is one of the 4 major brands in college basketball and they hired an assistant (so did Duke) Ohio State is a top 20 job. Completely different. Actually by hiring Diebler they save some money for the athletic dept that they may be able to use in other areas

The oddsmakers and beat writers had this one right over the last couple weeks. Diebler was in the top 4-5. Some guys (i.e. Oats) got extensions. Some (i.e. Miller) either passed on Ohio State because they want to be at a "basketball school", or Ohio State wasn't all that interested in them due to the coach's prior NCAA run-ins.

Dusty May appears to either want Louisville or to wait for his turn at Indiana. Both "basketball schools" and better jobs on paper than Ohio State. That effectively brought it down IMO to either keeping Diebler or bringing in a mid-major guy like DeVries or Kelsey.

The current (and expected) supply of quality jobs appears to be greater than the availability of big name/proven coaches.

Diebler got it because they fired Holtmann in-season. If they waited until the end of the season...after everyone here getting their hopes up, they would have ended up with a DeVries or Kelsey type of hire.

Everyone kept bitching, “fire Holtmann, fire Holtmann, fire Holtmann.” Ohio St finally did. Then what happens? You give the intern the greatest job interview there is. So nobody should be crying about Diebler being hire (if he is) because this is what you signed up for by wanting Holtmann fired in the middle of the season.

The oddsmakers and beat writers had this one right over the last couple weeks. Diebler was in the top 4-5. Some guys (i.e. Oats) got extensions. Some (i.e. Miller) either passed on Ohio State because they want to be at a "basketball school", or Ohio State wasn't all that interested in them due to the coach's prior NCAA run-ins.

Dusty May appears to either want Louisville or to wait for his turn at Indiana. Both "basketball schools" and better jobs on paper than Ohio State. That effectively brought it down IMO to either keeping Diebler or bringing in a mid-major guy like DeVries or Kelsey.
I question that. IU was Knight. After Pitino Louisville has been in the dumps, but I could go with that. Have not read anywhere where May gave any indication of turning down OSU that is speculation. I remember reading where a reporter asked Gene Keady once what Big Ten school he would coach if not Purdue his answer OSU because of all the in state bball talent. OSU is a very good job just look at the success Matta had, this hire reminds me somewhat similar to Tressel, some people at the time were saying if OSU is such a good job why they settle on a HC from YSU even if he had won several D - 1AA championships. Best OSU could hope for was Miller or Beard or a mid major and mid major HC's don't work out very often. Crean, Holtmann, Smart ex. of that.

Everyone kept bitching, “fire Holtmann, fire Holtmann, fire Holtmann.” Ohio St finally did. Then what happens? You give the intern the greatest job interview there is. So nobody should be crying about Diebler being hire (if he is) because this is what you signed up for by wanting Holtmann fired in the middle of the season.
Exactly and really good coaches at the top D1 level are very hard to find. How many NC's has Tx., USC, Oregon (with Phil Knight's money), won in the last 50 years all schools with similar resources OSU have. Hopefully Diebler is the man for the job.

I question that. IU was Knight. After Pitino Louisville has been in the dumps, but I could go with that. Have not read anywhere where May gave any indication of turning down OSU that is speculation. I remember reading where a reporter asked Gene Keady once what Big Ten school he would coach if not Purdue his answer OSU because of all the in state bball talent. OSU is a very good job just look at the success Matta had, this hire reminds me somewhat similar to Tressel, some people at the time were saying if OSU is such a good job why they settle on a HC from YSU even if he had won several D - 1AA championships. Best OSU could hope for was Miller or Beard or a mid major and mid major HC's don't work out very often. Crean, Holtmann, Smart ex. of that.
Indiana had a prior coach, Branch McCracken, that won two national championships and finished 1st or 2nd in the Big Ten a dozen times over roughly 25 seasons. IU had good to very good basketball from the late 1930s into the mid 1960s under him.

Ohio high school basketball talent has not been very good over the last decade. Particularly, there has been a measured fall off in quality big men. I'm not sure what the disconnect is, but currently girls basketball talent is vastly superior to boys basketball talent in Ohio.

A bunch of those name guys like Miller, Oats, Beard, etc. I'm convinced either 1) had zero interest in coming to Ohio State, or 2) Ohio State had zero interest in them due to their prior baggage.

Indiana had a prior coach, Branch McCracken, that won two national championships and finished 1st or 2nd in the Big Ten a dozen times over roughly 25 seasons. IU had good to very good basketball from the late 1930s into the mid 1960s under him.

Ohio high school basketball talent has not been very good over the last decade. Particularly, there has been a measured fall off in quality big men. I'm not sure what the disconnect is, but currently girls basketball talent is vastly superior to boys basketball talent in Ohio.

A bunch of those name guys like Miller, Oats, Beard, etc. I'm convinced either 1) had zero interest in coming to Ohio State, or 2) Ohio State had zero interest in them due to their prior baggage.
Been over 20 plus years since Knight departed and IU bball has not been good even with coaches like Sampson and Crean who were successful elsewhere. Since the turn of the century OSU has won 5 BIG titles (3rd in that regard behind Wisky and MSU), IU - 3. Coaches today care about one thing winning and to win a coach needs NIL money and under Carter - Bjork that will not be an issue at OSU going forward, least I hope not.

Edit: Most HS players today probably know very little about Bobby Knight and most importantly care about one thing NIL money.

Last edited:
Neither here nor there, but I'm convinced that Sampson would have won big at IU if not fired for violations that today are totally laughable.

43-15 overall and 21-8 in the Big Ten in his less than two seasons at the helm. Hoosiers were in contention to win the league in year 2 when he got fired. Him getting canned and getting the program sanctioned was by far the biggest setback to IU basketball over the last 20 years.

@Stirred not Shaken OSU needs an NIL influx for basketball as the in-state talent seems to have withered. Used to be able to be good with in-state talent and regional recruiting. Now it's more like national recruiting and hoping you can form a solid base with regional recruits.

Kevin McGuff can whiff on in-state 5 stars and still have a very good women's basketball program due to the in-state depth of talent. Thad's program started to fall off big time when the in-state well began to dry up and he whiffed on the few big fish like Kennard and had to cast more of a national recruiting net.

Firing Holtmann was the right thing to do.

2 years overdue, IMO.

Diebler officially hired. 5 year contract. His agent, Jimmy Sexton, is the best in the business
He does well with his coaching but he has to be far better than his former boss in recruiting.He must go BIG and have TEN that can play...BAM!