2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

It's not a "basketball school", but it's an awfully damn good job under the right leadership.

1991-2013 there were 8 league titles, 5 conference tournament titles, and 8 sweet 16s. That's awfully good for a school where football is king and basketball is a clear 2nd fiddle. Three different coaches contributed to that, albeit all while having some bad seasons in their tenures.

How dare he be a human being. Only an a-hole would be happy about firing someone they have come to be friends with. Something tells me you have never been in a position to fire anyone. I've had to do it several times and it sucks. It is always emotional.
I have seen quite a few people ripping on Gene Smith for the emotional reaction.

I strongly agree with you. The emotional reaction tells me what Gene thinks of Chris Holtmann as a man -- he probably sees him as a genuinely good guy, a friend, and someone who he really wanted to see be successful, and who he will root for to be successful when he gets another job.

It was time, but you don't need to bury someone as they are shown the door...regardless of if they will get nearly $13 million for being fired.

It's not a "basketball school", but it's an awfully damn good job under the right leadership.

1991-2013 there were 8 league titles, 5 conference tournament titles, and 8 sweet 16s. That's awfully good for a school where football is king and basketball is a clear 2nd fiddle. Three different coaches contributed to that, albeit all while having some bad seasons in their tenures.
I wonder what schools represent the best combo of football and basketball success. None of them have done it consistently, but since 1970 I think of UCLA, that school whose name shall not be spoken, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma. Who am I missing?

I wonder what schools represent the best combo of football and basketball success. None of them have done it consistently, but since 1970 I think of UCLA, that school whose name shall not be spoken, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma. Who am I missing?
Alabama has pretty much had good hoops since the early 1970's, but no Final 4 trips. LSU has at least one Final 4 in that time, pretty good hoops with some high peaks, and good to awesome football.

Last edited:
Notre Dame

I have Huggins at number 12…BAM! Just for a few years so we can watch some defensive hoops.

Alabama has pretty much had good hoops since the early 1970's, but no Final 4 trips. LSU has at least one Final 4 in that time, pretty good hoops with some high peaks, and good to awesome football.
Notre Dame
LSU is a good one to point out.

Thought about both ND and Bama. I would rank Alabama ahead of Notre Dame because the Irish haven't win national championships in either sport in the last few decades. I can't remember the Irish's last basketball final four, but it's been a good while. But I think Mike Brey had them in the Elite 8 within the last 10-12 years. But I guess it's how you define it in terms of what qualifies as a really good program. Conference championships, tourney success, final fours, playoffs, national championships - or simply contending for those things. But how often? And how far back do we look at it.

The point I would make is that we can see how hard it is to come up with a list of schools that have done both sports well. The ones that have had a few years' stretch of success in both is a short list and none of them do it over a decade. In the end, football schools tend to achieve highest success in football and basketball schools tend to achieve their highest success in basketball while their counterpart sport has spotty success.

Just my gut - but it feels inevitable that we end up with a new coach with Xavier ties. Pat Kelsey, Chris Mack, Sean Miller. No new info, just my gut feeling!

Just my gut - but it feels inevitable that we end up with a new coach with Xavier ties. Pat Kelsey, Chris Mack, Sean Miller. No new info, just my gut feeling!
Playing the odds game, those would be three of the top 7-8 "realistic options", along with Lamont Paris, Wes Miller, Dusty May, and maybe Anthony Grant (if a brinks truck is offered to get him out of his alma mater). If he really liked him, maybe Bjork tries to bring Buzz Williams from aTm.

By all means, swing for the fences with Beard, Oats, etc., but the next guy is probably one of those named above.

OSU has leadership now that is all in too win, will spend whatever it takes, I would be surprised if it's not somewhat of a big name.

My wish: Chris Beard, my prediction: Sean Miller. Another prediction, I am probably wrong.

Last edited:
Rick Pitino and Kelvin Sampson are at the top of my "pipe dream" list if writing a blank check.

I'd rather have Lamont Paris than the Xavier guys at this point. The strongest appeal to any of them to me, particularly Sean Miller, is the possibility of building an A++ staff with some of the other Xavier guys. With big money to burn, somebody like Sean Miller probably can grab Chris Mack and/or Archie Miller when filling the staff.

Sean Miller has never even made a final 4 with all of his great talent at Arizona. I’ve seen his teams play, he isn’t a very good coach.
According to you, for a coach who is not very good won a lot of games and conference championships. Plus I didn't say it is who I want but I who I predict will be next HC.

I had a feeling this would be a ‘dead cat bounce’ type game. Of course Holtmann also got out to good leads in the first half as well. Will be interesting to see how Diebler handles situations down the stretch if this game hangs in the balance late.

Sean Miller has never even made a final 4 with all of his great talent at Arizona. I’ve seen his teams play, he isn’t a very good coach.
He has a dozen league titles and has made it to the second weekend eight times. Four league titles and three second weekend trips at Xavier.

Doubt he is seriously in play here. Have heard before that the Millers are only interested in "basketball schools" where they will be top dog, which checks out with Sean being at Xavier (x2) and Arizona, while Archie has been at Dayton, Indiana, and now is looking to rebound at Rhode Island.

Last edited: