2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

The new AD will bring in a Buddy from the South for sure...BAM!
Texas is geographically in the southern part of the US but I don’t personally view Buzz Williams as a southern guy. Would be a decent hire if he goes that route, not a wow hire.

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Holtmann doing a great job. Just ask dummy Gene Smith he’ll tell you so. Blown 13 point halftime lead at home to an Indiana team who got blown out at home the last game by Penn State. Absolutely pathetic.

Embarrassing. This should be a fireable offense. May as well get a head start on searching for the next coach and let Diebler coach them the rest of the year.

Bombing a massive lead in the second half like that (and for the second time in league play; see at Penn State earlier in the year) is a damning indictment of the culture and leadership of this team...or abject lack thereof. I don't see any way Holtmann gets anything out of this bunch down the stretch. If he gets to finish the year they'll be lucky to finish over .500.

I see Birm is stumping for Lamont Paris.
Honestly a good call on his part, assuming South Carolina finishes the year strong.

I haven't seen his name thrown around, but he is certainly on the rise and has Ohio connections. -

- From Findlay
- Played for and assisted I believe either the winningest or 2nd winningest D3 college basketball coach at Wooster
- Assisted Bo Ryan for 5-6 years
- Built up a mid-major program
- Appears to be en route to building up a major conference program

Honestly a good call on his part, assuming South Carolina finishes the year strong.

I haven't seen his name thrown around, but he is certainly on the rise and has Ohio connections. -

- From Findlay
- Played for and assisted I believe either the winningest or 2nd winningest D3 college basketball coach at Wooster
I’m still in the DeVries camp, though I really need to see Drake in the NCAA tourney and give a good showing to really sell me, but I will check out Paris. Sounds like a good candidate. Haven’t forgot about Kelsey, either.

I do like Paris’ background. Not only on Bo Ryan’s staff, but Keith Dambrot too. One thing is for sure, ten years with those two coaches and you will learn the value of fundamentals and defense. Something the Holtmann teams lack.

It is not easy to blow an 18 point second half lead, to a below average team, twice in one season.

The kids start playing scared, expecting to fail, and have zero confidence in the offense. Falls squarely on coaching and preparation. Not having a reliable offensive structure leads to the string of empty possessions, every damn game. They run an "offense" that is totally dependent on beating someone off the dribble, or the high pick and roll with low skill guys rolling.

Don't hire some low-level college coach 90 % don't pan out, for every Matta you have 9 Holtmann's. The Bucks have a 14 million dollar payout staring at them in the face now. Go big like Alabama did in football when they hired Saban from LSU. Go after Beard or Hurley someone with a big name-proven track record on the big stage and just give him an offer he cannot refuse, otherwise OSU will likely be right back in the same situation they are right now. I would even consider Chris Collins but no mid major coach they rarely pan out ask Indiana.

I wonder if Porter Moser would be interested. Took him 3 year but has Oklahoma playing really well in the best league. Also has Big Ten roots being from Illinois

Don't hire some low-level college coach 90 % don't pan out, for every Matta you have 9 Holtmann's. The Bucks have a 14 million dollar payout staring at them in the face now. Go big like Alabama did in football when they hired Saban from LSU. Go after Beard or Hurley someone with a big name-proven track record on the big stage and just give him an offer he cannot refuse, otherwise OSU will likely be right back in the same situation they are right now. I would even consider Chris Collins but no mid major coach they rarely pan out ask Indiana.
Chris Collins would be a great hire IMO. Just better hope that Duke never comes calling

Scoonie Penn?

I have no idea if that would work, but he’s young and a former player. Also would bring a NBA style of play to a league that is very boring offensively

No. OSU isn’t the place to be learning how to be an HC. They need an established guy who’s already had very good success
Why not? It seemed to work for Michigan St and Baylor. Hell arguably the 2 biggest basketball brands (UNC & Duke) are doing it. It’s not like Ohio St is a power program. They havent won a national title in 64 years.

Why not? It seemed to work for Michigan St and Baylor. Hell arguably the 2 biggest basketball brands (UNC & Duke) are doing it. It’s not like Ohio St is a power program. They havent won a national title in 64 years.
Eh. Pretty different situations for three of the four.
Baylor was a nothing program prior to Scott Drew. They had 1 NCAA appearance in the 50 or so years prior to Scott Drew. While OSU hasn’t won a title in 64 years, they’ve had multiple title-contending level teams in the years since (Sully era, Oden-Conley, Scoonie-Reed era, Jim Jackson era. Most fell short yes, but were good enough to win)
Scheyer was on the staff of a very successful program for 8 years and was groomed to take over for 4 of those years
Herbert Davis, similar situation as Scheyer.
Izzo is the only one similar but that was 30 years ago. I’d class that more as the exception than the rule.

- From Findlay
Anybody who learned from Bo Ryan is OK by me. That man could coach.

It is not easy to blow an 18 point second half lead, to a below average team, twice in one season.

The kids start playing scared, expecting to fail, and have zero confidence in the offense. Falls squarely on coaching and preparation. Not having a reliable offensive structure leads to the string of empty possessions, every damn game. They run an "offense" that is totally dependent on beating someone off the dribble, or the high pick and roll with low skill guys rolling.
In case anyone didn’t see or rad it yet.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...after-buckeyes-76-73-loss-to-indiana-hoosiers

Here’s another name to think about: Amir Abdur-Rahim
If you can't get a "big name" coach, then this is the type of coach that appeals to me. Someone that has legitimately built a program, even if their overall record isn't that great on the surface.

His first year at South Florida has been solid so far, but he did a tremendous job of "building the program" at Kennesaw State. There was a decade plus prior to him getting that job where they averaged 8-9 wins per season. They won one game in his first year, but by year 4 he had a 26 win team that won the league and made the tournament.