2023-2024 General Discussion

Not used to playing quick? They’ve played one of the hardest schedules in the country. NC State started picking up their guards at half court and since then it’s been extremely difficult for them with their lack of speed and length
They are definitely on the small side, for sure. I may be proven wrong, but I think they will adjust in the second half and play their game.

They are definitely on the small side, for sure. I may be proven wrong, but I think they will adjust in the second half and play their game.
Only thing that has changed is Lance Jones has gotten some open looks. Their white guards are all abysmal and MAC level players

Guys not named Edey have only made two 2pt FGs for Purdue.

8 3s, 5 FTs.
Got a 3rd with a midrange floater by Jones a couple minutes ago.

They are who they are. Limited dribble penetration/shot creation ability. Has to be inside-out playing through Edey and the other guys have to make a ton of catch and shoot 3s for them to compete with UConn.

I was secretly in my mind pulling for Purdue hard even though my wife went to NC State. Can’t go against the Big Ten.
Purdue is old school B1G. Two big men down low and three small guards up high with the main offense running through the big men.

Is there an obvious reason I am missing why we can't have girls final four Thursday night, men Friday night, girls title Saturday evening, men Sunday evening? This Monday eveningn9:20 tipoff is absurd....one. work night heading into another early work day
For most of the country, Monday night is a great night for the game, the TV audience is huge. I don't think you'll ever see that change.

Pretty much as expected tonight. Alabama was very game and was right in it until nearly the end. Edey vs. Clingen Monday, should be a heck of a game.

Pretty much as expected tonight. Alabama was very game and was right in it until nearly the end. Edey vs. Clingen Monday, should be a heck of a game.
Uconn has too much good guard play. Purdue doesn't. Hope I'm wrong as pulling for Purdue in this one. We'll see in first half if worth it to stay up

For most of the country, Monday night is a great night for the game, the TV audience is huge. I don't think you'll ever see that change.
What? Everyone on the East Coast complains about the 9:20 start time every year. Monday night is an awful night for championship games, which should be communal watching events but aren’t for anyone who has to wake up early Tuesday morning. Same with the CFP.

Good news, a team from the southeast will not participate in the basketball title after also not participating in the football title.

When they eventually increase the tournament to 80 teams, I see a reorganization of the schedule as the most sensible solution.

First Thursday/Friday: The 16 “play-in” games featuring at-large teams are played. Eight games per day.

First Saturday/Sunday: The Round of 64. The usual madness of the first round, but on a weekend so more people can watch all day.

Week 2:
Thursday/Friday: Round of 32 (eight games per day)
Saturday/Sunday: Sweet 16 (four games per day; no more overlapping Sweet 16 games, one game at a time)

Week 3:
Thursday night: Two Elite 8 games
Friday night: Two Elite 8 games
Sunday afternoon/evening: Final Four

Week 4:
Saturday night: National championship game

If UConn were to win Monday night, it should go down as one of the all-time great coaching achievements in college basketball.

To win back-to-back to national championships in the modern format is exceptionally difficult. To win back-to-back titles with vastly different rosters is an even greater achievement.

UConn has essentially three players who were key parts of both teams: Tristen Newton, Alex Karaban, Donovan Clingan. Hassan Diarra averaged about 12 minutes and 2 ppg last year; he was a marginal role player.

Last year, Adama Sanogo and Jordan Hawkins were UConn’s stars, with Andre Jackson Jr. playing a key role, too. Those three were generally joined in the starting lineup by Newton and Karaban. Joey Calcaterra came off the bench to provide shooting/scoring. Clingan was Sanogo’s backup. Naheim Alleyne got decent minutes off the bench, too.

Fast forward to this season: Sanogo, Hawkins and Jackson are in the NBA. Alleyne went to St. John’s. Calcaterra graduated.

Newton and Clingan have stepped into starring roles, with transfer Cam Spencer, Alex Karaban and freshman Stephon Castle rounding out a dangerous remade starting 5. Hassan Diarra has stepped forward into a key 6th man role. Samson Johnson couldn’t get off the bench last year, but he’s Clingan’s backup and can play offense above the rim. And freshman Jaylin Stewart has provided competent bench wing play when called upon.

To me, this would be a more impressive feat than when Florida went back-to-back with Noah, Horford and Brewer leading the way both years.

When they eventually increase the tournament to 80 teams, I see a reorganization of the schedule as the most sensible solution.

First Thursday/Friday: The 16 “play-in” games featuring at-large teams are played. Eight games per day.

First Saturday/Sunday: The Round of 64. The usual madness of the first round, but on a weekend so more people can watch all day.

Week 2:
Thursday/Friday: Round of 32 (eight games per day)
Saturday/Sunday: Sweet 16 (four games per day; no more overlapping Sweet 16 games, one game at a time)

Week 3:
Thursday night: Two Elite 8 games
Friday night: Two Elite 8 games
Sunday afternoon/evening: Final Four

Week 4:
Saturday night: National championship game
This would be fantastic and makes a lot of sense. So much so, that it probably won't happen.

If UConn were to win Monday night, it should go down as one of the all-time great coaching achievements in college basketball.

To win back-to-back to national championships in the modern format is exceptionally difficult. To win back-to-back titles with vastly different rosters is an even greater achievement.

UConn has essentially three players who were key parts of both teams: Tristen Newton, Alex Karaban, Donovan Clingan. Hassan Diarra averaged about 12 minutes and 2 ppg last year; he was a marginal role player.

Last year, Adama Sanogo and Jordan Hawkins were UConn’s stars, with Andre Jackson Jr. playing a key role, too. Those three were generally joined in the starting lineup by Newton and Karaban. Joey Calcaterra came off the bench to provide shooting/scoring. Clingan was Sanogo’s backup. Naheim Alleyne got decent minutes off the bench, too.

Fast forward to this season: Sanogo, Hawkins and Jackson are in the NBA. Alleyne went to St. John’s. Calcaterra graduated.

Newton and Clingan have stepped into starring roles, with transfer Cam Spencer, Alex Karaban and freshman Stephon Castle rounding out a dangerous remade starting 5. Hassan Diarra has stepped forward into a key 6th man role. Samson Johnson couldn’t get off the bench last year, but he’s Clingan’s backup and can play offense above the rim. And freshman Jaylin Stewart has provided competent bench wing play when called upon.

To me, this would be a more impressive feat than when Florida went back-to-back with Noah, Horford and Brewer leading the way both years.
Agreed.

The Big East is in the national title game again and also won the NIT, for those who might want to take note of such things.
And yet, the so-wise tournament selectors saw fit to choose only three Big East schools to participate, unlike the six that they chose from the "traditionally powerful" Mountain West 🤷‍♂️