2023-2024 General Discussion

Omar

Season kicks off tomorrow. Early FF prediction:

Duke
Mich St
Creighton
Tennessee

Duke and Sparty have an early season matchup next Tuesday. Creighton and Rocky-top, eh? Cool.

Duke and Sparty have an early season matchup next Tuesday. Creighton and Rocky-top, eh? Cool.
I don't know enough about either team, but anything is possible this early in the season.

Either win or loss, we know it won't mean a lot by the time March rolls around.

Thank goodness for sports (football, basketball, hockey) in the Winter!

Last edited:
I don't know enough about either team, but anything is possible this early in the season.

Either win or loss, we know it won't mean a lot by the time March rolls around.

Thank goodness for sports (football, basketball, hockey) in the Winter!
Arizona comes to Cameron on Friday night. Duke plays AZ, Mich St, Arkansas, and Baylor all within the next month or so.

Standing by Mich St even after the loss.
Respectfully Omar...we see this every year. Izzo must have blackmail photos of the people that rank teams because every year, they are in the top 5 and they lose 2-3 games before Christmas. Now they play a great schedule normally, but losing to James Madison????? And that was with Tyson Walker having the game of his life. If he doesn't go off, JMU wins that game by 20.

Stand by it
Ok, we'll see what happens. I think they really struggle on offense, and Izzo's old brash and bruising style is going out of style. Michigan State is traditionally one of the most physical teams in basketball and they used to be able to hold teams down by...basically holding and making games ugly. The game is officiated differently and you need skilled guys who can put the ball in the basket to win consistently.

Ok, we'll see what happens. I think they really struggle on offense, and Izzo's old brash and bruising style is going out of style. Michigan State is traditionally one of the most physical teams in basketball and they used to be able to hold teams down by...basically holding and making games ugly. The game is officiated differently and you need skilled guys who can put the ball in the basket to win consistently.
Sounds like Bob Knight

But you're ahead of me, I really can't even guess who may be in the final four. It seems like Duke and Kentucky has too many young guys to make a run. I think Purdue has to have a legit shot, although we know what normally happens to them, but they are a little unique in that they have nearly everyone back from a great team last year and the guard are a year older. Edey just makes it so difficult to score around the basket, which you can get away with alittle with the 3 point shot, but you get next to nothing around the hoop. Kanas will probably be right there. My guess is you'll have a mid major with older transfers and veterans make a tournament run, because they do!

Sounds like Bob Knight
Meaning??? Definitely not style. IU's teams in the 70's/ 80's and 90's were motion offense, run to perfection, good shots, solid defense. Izzo gets thugs and just beats you down figuring the officials can't call everything.

Just got home from Michigan vs St. John's at MSG. Only the Crosstown Shootout could match the atmosphere. Absolutely nuts. Michigan is amazing.

The Champions Classic is tonight. It always amazes me why Michigan State is included in this event. Swap them out for UNC or Villanova or UConn. MSU being involved is like that meme of the soldiers with the clown in the middle.

Addition by subtraction?

Michigan's starting 5 is really solid - maybe top 25 caliber.

Big drop off in quality once they go to the bench but they have 2 guys hurt right now, so I'm hoping they can maintain a solid rotation of at least 8 once they get to conference play.

Not sure how Howard's absence is affecting the dynamic but Martelli's pedigree shouldn't be questioned in the least bit.

Michigan's starting 5 is really solid - maybe top 25 caliber.

Big drop off in quality once they go to the bench but they have 2 guys hurt right now, so I'm hoping they can maintain a solid rotation of at least 8 once they get to conference play.

Not sure how Howard's absence is affecting the dynamic but Martelli's pedigree shouldn't be questioned in the least bit.
"Addition by Subtraction"

I was thinking Dickenson. Sometimes even losing a good player can improve things. Was wondering if you thought that might be why they're improved?

"Addition by Subtraction"

I was thinking Dickenson. Sometimes even losing a good player can improve things. Was wondering if you thought that might be why they're improved?

I got it. Sorry I didn't elaborate in the first post.

Ball movement is infinitely better this season. Way too much hero ball happened last season with Bufkin and Jett Howard. Their two lead guards both appear to be much more well-rounded playmakers.

As for Dickinson, he's clearly an elite college player, so I won't deny that Michigan underachieved with him last season but most of that blame should fall on Howard.

They got destroyed by St. John's on the boards (Johnnies had 27 offensive rebounds), so they're clearly missing his presence in some ways, but their young replacement Tarris Reed has a high ceiling himself and is much more mobile - so he probably helps facilitate a more dynamic style of play when he's on the court.

The Champions Classic is tonight. It always amazes me why Michigan State is included in this event. Swap them out for UNC or Villanova or UConn. MSU being involved is like that meme of the soldiers with the clown in the middle.
Agreed. They've been a joke program lately compared to what their expectations are. UCONN should be in this.

I already love watching Marquette. They're excellent at getting their own open shots or getting teammates open shots. Nothing is forced. Nothing that requires a hot-hand. And they understand a mid-range counts justs as much as a contested lay-up. The one mistake I've seen is the one all teams (except IU) seem to make when playing a 7'4" guy. There is absolutely no reason to foul him. He's too slow to get around. Just front him, make the pass in hard.

I watch UCONN with such envy and amazement. Outside of OSU and the Big Ten they have been my favorite basketball program. THAT is how you run a program, best program in CBB and I do not think it is close. Maybe one day OSU can get there.

I watch UCONN with such envy and amazement. Outside of OSU and the Big Ten they have been my favorite basketball program. THAT is how you run a program, best program in CBB and I do not think it is close. Maybe one day OSU can get there.
It helps UConn has a dookie football program so they can pour money into the basketball NIL.

It helps UConn has a dookie football program so they can pour money into the basketball NIL.
If OSU cut like 6 or 7 of their irrelevant sports nobody cares about then they would have the same money to pour into their basketball program but they have Gene Smith one of the worst ADs in America leading their sports.

If OSU cut like 6 or 7 of their irrelevant sports nobody cares about then they would have the same money to pour into their basketball program but they have Gene Smith one of the worst ADs in America leading their sports.
I mean theoretically I guess the donors who are supporting those sports could then use that money give to NIL. But I think you’ll just see those donors continue to give it directly to the university. I highly doubt the 85 year old couple keeping the women’s rifle team afloat will suddenly donate their $1.5m a year to THE Foundation.