2022 Regional Semifinal Neutral Sites

I'll have to find my passport first
The liberals will cancel you with that kind of talk. Shhh!!!
London University Undergraduate GIF by City, University of London

It’s a horseshoe design now isn’t it?
Correct, grant it. It’s a very cool stadium to watch a game. No track, you’re on top of the field, when packed can be a great place to watch a game. Only issue is the concession and bathroom situations. I think they addressed part of it with a new building attached to the gym entrance but I haven’t been there since 2019 to see for myself.

Sidney has the best stadium, in my opinion, around. Very good site lines and atmosphere.
I completely agree. Sidney and Piquas stadiums are virtually identical to each other, but Sidneys is like a slightly smaller model. I like that tighter feeling. It feels like you are on top of the field at Sidney.

Imagine being an AD and trying to line up 50+ volunteers (gates, concessions, cleanup, etc) to come help your school make a little bit of extra money by hosting when it's going to be in the low 30's by the time games end on Saturday night. Heck, a lot of those same volunteers wouldn't even go to watch their own team play in weather like that. It's not you can host a game with just the AD and a couple of his buddies lol

Imagine being an AD and trying to line up 50+ volunteers (gates, concessions, cleanup, etc) to come help your school make a little bit of extra money by hosting when it's going to be in the low 30's by the time games end on Saturday night. Heck, a lot of those same volunteers wouldn't even go to watch their own team play in weather like that. It's not you can host a game with just the AD and a couple of his buddies lol
Guess it depends on your community. I just volunteered to help Friday and was told "we are all set!"

Guess it depends on your community. I just volunteered to help Friday and was told "we are all set!"
That's my point....a lot of communities will have no problem, but some do, which is why the "why didn't Joe Smith HS host".....or "why don't they play it at Bob Johnson HS because it's in the middle".

I completely agree. Sidney and Piquas stadiums are virtually identical to each other, but Sidneys is like a slightly smaller model. I like that tighter feeling. It feels like you are on top of the field at Sidney.
With Sidney not having the track around the field it gives it that cozy feel. I would guess the stands are about 20 feet or so closer to the sideline. I'm curious as to the split in funding for the stadium and/or field, since Lehman shares it. The end zones are painted Sidney in the North EZ and Lehman in the South EZ, while the Yellowjackets logo is midfield. It is a really good venue to see a game and I hope they can grab a regional final and possibly a state semi final game or two.

With Sidney not having the track around the field it gives it that cozy feel. I would guess the stands are about 20 feet or so closer to the sideline. I'm curious as to the split in funding for the stadium and/or field, since Lehman shares it. The end zones are painted Sidney in the North EZ and Lehman in the South EZ, while the Yellowjackets logo is midfield. It is a really good venue to see a game and I hope they can grab a regional final and possibly a state semi final game or two.
I think it's Owned/Operated by Sidney City Schools and Lehman either pays a rental few OR helped fund enough of it to get their name in the endzone

50. That's hilarious.
Here's what it would be when our HS hosts a game.

Concessions (2 stands, 1 is big and has a lot of options) 14
Parking/Traffic 10
Gates 6
Clock/AnnouncerScoreboard 4
Chains 3
Cleanup (Field/Locker Rooms/Parking Lot) 12

That's 49....so I was close lol

Here's what it would be when our HS hosts a game.

Concessions (2 stands, 1 is big and has a lot of options) 14
Parking/Traffic 10
Gates 6
Clock/AnnouncerScoreboard 4
Chains 3
Cleanup (Field/Locker Rooms/Parking Lot) 12

That's 49....so I was close lol
Just talked with our AD. She's got almost 20 paid and about 45 volunteers. And that's not a D 1 game.

“Greedy OHSAA, they’re all about the money!”

*same poster two minutes later*

“well why would School X host, they don’t get enough money out of it.”

rinse and repeat every. Single. Year.
i actually don’t see an issue with this. the OHSAA is a non-profit. they only NEED to cover their own expenses. most school districts (athletic departments) already have a lack of funding as it is. it’s simply not worth the hassle for some ADs to host. The OHSAA either needs to offer a larger flat fee to host, or what makes the most sense, give the host school a cut of every ticket sold. i bet if you offer the host school $1 of every ticket sold, you’ll have a lot more ADs showing interest almost instantly.

i actually don’t see an issue with this. the OHSAA is a non-profit. they only NEED to cover their own expenses. most school districts (athletic departments) already have a lack of funding as it is. it’s simply not worth the hassle for some ADs to host. The OHSAA either needs to offer a larger flat fee to host, or what makes the most sense, give the host school a cut of every ticket sold. i bet if you offer the host school $1 of every ticket sold, you’ll have a lot more ADs showing interest almost instantly.
So the OHSAA is a non-profit, they shouldn’t make any more money than absolutely necessary, but school athletic departments are what exactly? Profit making ventures?

So the OHSAA is a non-profit, they shouldn’t make any more money than absolutely necessary, but school athletic departments are what exactly? Profit making ventures?
yes, a school athletic departments’ main goal is to make a profit, so that they can save up enough money for the following years to provide student athletes with the needed upgrades to facilities, equipment, uniforms, extra coaching stipends, etc. every penny that the athletic department makes is (hopefully) going to benefit student athletes directly.

i get the OHSAA having to combat inflation by raising prices, i’ve never had a problem with that. i’ve never been one to complain over ticket prices- i’ll gladly cough up my $10.81 on hometown ticketing to watch a quality football game. the point is, the OHSAA does NOTHING to make hosting appealing to a school.

i can guarantee you that the only reason a school hosts is to stay in good standing with the OHSAA, or else it’s the boosters’ who volunteer to work concessions, etc i order to make more for their organization. any AD who volunteers to host us a pretty selfless person IMO and is willing to do a little extra work in order for other various organizations within the school district to have an opportunity to make more money.

They NEED to raise money from revenue sports to pay for tournaments for the other sports.
That is wrong now. For example Cross Country used to no cost to attend district and regional meets and they would only charge for State meet and that would come close to covering the cost for entire tournament. A handful of years ago they added a charge regional meet and then two years ago charging for district meet at a cost that was greater than state meet was and the state meet is now doubled in cost.

I got to believe they are netting somewhere close to a million from that tournament. There would be nearly 10,000 kids that run at district meet so that is lots of parents/grand parents and any teammate that isn't racing has to pay to watch also.

They NEED to raise money from revenue sports to pay for tournaments for the other sports.
Alternative solution if your sport doesn't make money, it doesn't need to be played or the participant can pay to play if they really want to participate that badly. It shouldn't be up to the sports like football and boys basketball to subsidize all the sports that don't generate a profit.

Alternative solution if your sport doesn't make money, it doesn't need to be played or the participant can pay to play if they really want to participate that badly. It shouldn't be up to the sports like football and boys basketball to subsidize all the sports that don't generate a profit.
Now THERE'S someone who gets what high school sports are supposed to be about. :rolleyes:

Now THERE'S someone who gets what high school sports are supposed to be about. :rolleyes:
Certain sports make money for a reason, other sports operate at a loss because they don't matter and no one cares. That is the truth, facts are facts, as politically incorrect as it may be, I am not afraid to be honest and speak the truth.

A perfect example of this is the WNBA which has operated at a loss of over $10,000,000 a year since it's inception and is completely subsidized by the NBA. Most of the teams average a PAID attendance of under 1,000 fans, most often they give thousands of free tickets away to youth groups just to get some fans in the building.

Is the latest tangent topic the OHSAA needing to maximize revenue to offset the costs of all tournaments, or is it schools needing the same thing for the same reason? Or both?

Steve Martin Spinning GIF

Certain sports make money for a reason, other sports operate at a loss because they don't matter and no one cares. That is the truth, facts are facts, as politically incorrect as it may be, I am not afraid to be honest and speak the truth.

A perfect example of this is the WNBA which has operated at a loss of over $10,000,000 a year since it's inception and is completely subsidized by the NBA. Most of the teams average a PAID attendance of under 1,000 fans, most often they give thousands of free tickets away to youth groups just to get some fans in the building.
The purpose of high school sports is for the students, where professional sports are primarily for those watching. That high school sports have any entertainment value is a bonus, not a necessity.