2022 HS season

Its amazing that Darby is still getting votes. It is equally amazing that they are almost of the list.. Cant remember the last time they were not on the list.
Especially when you consider their record on the website is not up to date. They are currently 3-9. Not sure why they fell so far so quickly.

I would say the only change is St. X 1 and Elder #2. Over the next two weeks these will most likely work themself out. Moe vs Elder on Friday should be a great match.

Especially when you consider their record on the website is not up to date. They are currently 3-9. Not sure why they fell so far so quickly.
I would say this record is not an accurate reflection of Darby. After losing 5 staright competitive games and performing poorly versing top tier teams in the tiger classic, Darby has struggled in the early part of the season. But, it's early in the season which means this new Darby team has time to gel together. I'm expecting a record above .750 for the second half of the season. Coach Bell will rally the team and bring them farther than last year after a disappointing end to the season.

I would say this record is not an accurate reflection of Darby. After losing 5 staright competitive games and performing poorly versing top tier teams in the tiger classic, Darby has struggled in the early part of the season. But, it's early in the season which means this new Darby team has time to gel together. I'm expecting a record above .750 for the second half of the season. Coach Bell will rally the team and bring them farther than last year after a disappointing end to the season.
Showing on OHSBVA, Darby has 11 remaining matches.. 8 wins in those 11 matches is .727 for the second half. No way they win 8 of 11 down the stretch, especially if they still have 3 matches in the Centerville elite along with 4 more matches against teams that they have already lost to. They are struggling, no doubt about it. Can they turn it around... sure.. But i cannot imagine it being that large of turnaround..

Showing on OHSBVA, Darby has 11 remaining matches.. 8 wins in those 11 matches is .727 for the second half. No way they win 8 of 11 down the stretch, especially if they still have 3 matches in the Centerville elite along with 4 more matches against teams that they have already lost to. They are struggling, no doubt about it. Can they turn it around... sure.. But i cannot imagine it being that large of turnaround..
I would beg to differ. Coach Bell expects nothing less of those young men. Last year you may remember that he was suspended for making them run for a long period of time after a loss to Thomas Worthington, this was because this was a big upset loss to Thomas Worthington on the season and for him was not acceptable. Coach Bell will shape those boys up and ultimately I feel they can beat anyone when at their best. We know they can, they swept Jerome this year who is pretty good even though they have a lower ranking in the East. Once they get the momentum they won't be stopped.

Last edited:
I would beg to differ. Coach Bell expects nothing less of those young men. Last year you may remember that he was suspended for making them run for a long period of time after a loss to Thomas Worthington, this was because this was a big upset loss to Thomas Worthington on the season and for him was not acceptable. Coach Bell will shape those boys up and ultimately I feel they can beat anyone when at their best. We know they can, they swept Jerome this year who is pretty good even though they have a lower ranking in the East. Once they get the momentum they won't be stopped.
Don't take this the wrong way but this sounds like someone who is a total Homer, not someone looking at the situation with clear eyes. This could be a combination of things. Was the loss to Worthington really an upset? If so, is running the players forever the answer? Sounds like it could be a combination of less talented players coming thru the program along with an old school, out of date coach who isn't connecting with his players. I don't know the situation at all but I do know Darby isn't at the top, a team that "won't be stopped".

I would say the only change is St. X 1 and Elder #2. Over the next two weeks these will most likely work themself out. Moe vs Elder on Friday should be a great match.

Friday should be a great match. I give the edge to Elder due to home court advantage, but I can see this game going the distance if Moeller serve receives well. I have to imagine that Moeller will be feeding Patterson, so can Elder keep him in check? I say Elder in 4, but wouldnt be surprised if either win in 5.

I wouldn't be touting that he was suspended for running his players hard. Especially since they didn't seem to achieve after that. They didn't even make it out of the region last year. Revealing that information is more damming towards the program because it seems there is a bigger problem.

I wouldn't be touting that he was suspended for running his players hard. Especially since they didn't seem to achieve after that. They didn't even make it out of the region last year. Revealing that information is more damming towards the program because it seems there is a bigger problem.
I heard a bunch of Darby guys quit mid-season last year (again, I cannot verify, just word of mouth) - so it makes me wonder if the running and all that led to kids quitting.

I believe Darby was always strong at identifying great athletes with volleyball potential when they were younger (8-9th grade) and then turned them into great players. Are those athletes choosing other sports at Darby now? There's definitely been a drop off since the Platfoot class. Hopefully they will rebound.

Friday should be a great match. I give the edge to Elder due to home court advantage, but I can see this game going the distance if Moeller serve receives well. I have to imagine that Moeller will be feeding Patterson, so can Elder keep him in check? I say Elder in 4, but wouldnt be surprised if either win in 5.
I would agree that Elder should be favored, especially at home as you note. Moeller's offense still doesn't look that in-sync, but I also put trust in the coaching staff to make adjustments throughout the season. Moeller's offense clearly goes through Patterson on the outside, and I think Elder's combo of Bianco and Maurer blocking on the right side will handle him and slow him down better than any other team I can think of.

Badin took care of Alter very easily tonight. Alter dealing with injuries or kids quitting? Last couple matches from them haven’t been good. Noticed tonight was Varsity only as well.

Looks like Northmont took a game from Elder last night... First two games scores were very close.
Elder played very flat last night, very little energy on the court. Will have to really pick it up if they want to beat Moe Friday.

Elder played very flat last night, very little energy on the court. Will have to really pick it up if they want to beat Moe Friday.
Moe played flat as well v Loveland. Best player did not play either. I’m sure both teams will be ready for Friday.

Moe in 5 unless Patterson doesn’t play. I believe he was out against Loveland. That would drastically change Moeller offensively.

Down to Thomas and Liberty as the last undefeated teams. 12-0 and 8-0, respectively. They play a big match for East seeding on May 4th.

Heard most of Carrol starters got back in early morning from Spain trip and Tucker didn’t play.
Wonder if the starters played at all or coach benched them for tonight given all the time they missed. Regardless of who was or wasn’t on the court, it’s still a big win for Mason and their morale. Congrats to them