2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not calling out a child, the question is for the person who identified themselves as the “most dominate players mom”. I’m also not saying anyone has cheated. People push the limits of the rules all the time. It has been my experience that someone who would identify themselves like that would push those limits. I could very well be completely wrong and I hope I am. It is completely an opinion or guess.
I also don’t think Cov Cath is cheating but they have definitely pushed the limit of the rules and in the hopes of maintains a competitive league they should adjust the rule and separate the organization into 3 geographical teams.
What limits were pushed? You are either eligible or you're not. To say a kid who is 100% within the rules as pushing the limits of cheating should be called out. It's was completely uncalled for.

That's exactly what I said LOL

I know your MO - you think the league is for Elder's benefit, and frankly, for alot of years, it seems Elder thought that as well. Another perfect example of the Elder entitlement attitude - that the league should be set up to Elder's liking and success.

Wake up - there are teams in the league from all across the city and NKY - this isn't a league by Elder for Elder. You guys are all the same - thinks the world, and the league, revolves around Elder.

Again, another example of people here completely proving my point, and failing to even fathom it.

Not even close. My first post on this subject today clearly mentions Moeller, St. Xavier, Lasalle, Badin, and McNicholas all as benefactors to this league in addition to Elder. My interest stems from following Elder.

Again, you are wrong like you normally are.

Not even close. My first post on this subject today clearly mentions Moeller, St. Xavier, Lasalle, Badin, and McNicholas all as benefactors to this league in addition to Elder. My interest stems from following Elder.

Again, you are wrong like you normally are.
How am I wrong? You literally just posted you don't want it to change because it will impact Elder.

You literally just posted.

How am I wrong? You literally just posted you don't want it to change because it will impact Elder.

You literally just posted.

You are wrong in your diatribe against me about how I think the league is only there to benefit Elder and how I think the world and league revolves around Elder. I'll wait for your apology for your latest unfounded attack.

My interest is Elder, but I also very clearly said the other high schools should not want it to change either since it benefits them too. Reading comprehension is not your best trait.

You are wrong in your diatribe against me about how I think the league is only there to benefit Elder and how I think the world and league revolves around Elder. I'll wait for your apology for your latest unfounded attack.

My interest is Elder, but I also very clearly said the other high schools should not want it to change either since it benefits them too. Reading comprehension is not your best trait.
Why do you automatically assume a league change would be detrimental to Elder?

Why does everyone always assume change in general will be detrimental to Elder?

Every new idea is doom and gloom for Elder people - while the entire city continues to re-invent itself to move forward.

The old school Elder mindset is poison for that school. I honestly believe that. This legacy, tradition and fear of change mindset holds it back, when people can't even realize the sky would be the limit for a school that popular. It's the weirdest thing I've ever experienced.

What limits were pushed? You are either eligible or you're not. To say a kid who is 100% within the rules as pushing the limits of cheating should be called out. It's was completely uncalled for.
If a parent had a child repeat a grade or held a child back that resulted in them being close to the age requirement, that would by definition be pushing the limits of the age requirement. As I said not cheating, but pushing the limits. It is not the kid that would be doing that, but 100% the parent and that is their choice. I don’t think it helps in the long run, but that is my opinion based on what I have seen with my own children.

If a parent had a child repeat a grade or held a child back that resulted in them being close to the age requirement, that would by definition be pushing the limits of the age requirement. As I said not cheating, but pushing the limits. It is not the kid that would be doing that, but 100% the parent and that is their choice. I don’t think it helps in the long run, but that is my opinion based on what I have seen with my own children.
There is a concrete and definitive line in the sand for cheating that has been established.

It wasn't crossed. Period. End of Story.

With your logic, having a kid play at 169 lbs when the weight limit is 170 is "pushing the limits" of cheating. That's blatantly absurd. And stupid.

Last edited:
Pulled a fast one how? Literally, no one else in the league is fielding 3 teams. 2 years ago, Cov Cath had a 5th and 6th like everyone else...4 years ago, they only had 1 team.
Yes, pulled a fast one. There are other programs in the league fielding teams of a single grade. No one is doing it how Cov Cath is.

If you want to argue that instead of having 3 teams (one being a combo/development team), Cov Cath should split into 4 teams (even 3rd/4th/5th/6th), that means another coaching staff. Coaches are volunteers that do not get paid. And not every dad is suited to coach football. Trust me.
I'm not suggesting anything. I wasn't one complaining about it, as I have no dog in the fight.

If you want my opinion, they should split the teams how every other program does:
5th Grade team
6th Grade team
Which would leave them with only needing 4 coaching staffs not 6.

Again, I couldn't care less if you think it's me, but it's not me.

You want to continue to make me the whipping boy for all of the Elder forum insecurities, feel free. Doesn't bother me a bit, in fact, it proves exactly what I've been saying for years. So thanks for that.
No insecurities on my end, buddy lol it's just so odd to me that you paint with a VERY broad brush when it comes to Elder and the people who went/go there.

No insecurities on my end, buddy lol it's just so odd to me that you paint with a VERY broad brush when it comes to Elder and the people who went/go there.
If you're around it long enough, you realize the brush is indeed broad. I will admit much of what irks me about the fanbase is usually the middle aged and older generation. The younger families are much more open to something different.

What I said was “there was no cheating, everything is within the rules”. What I implied was if your son is “most dominate player” in the 6th grade and you feel the need to tell everyone that, could it also be he is one of the oldest. The kid has done nothing wrong, he shows up and plays. That is all you can ask.

Trey, you have implied or said this over and over again. My children are Well past Reserve or Pony level GCYL so I could care less what happens at those levels and I am not an “Elder guy” so your argument there doesn’t really have validity. But if the GCYL is going to survive, and I’m not sure it will either way. If an organization has come up with a way to create a competitive advantage within the rules, they will need to adjust the rules.

What I said was “there was no cheating, everything is within the rules”. What I implied was if your son is “most dominate player” in the 6th grade and you feel the need to tell everyone that, could it also be he is one of the oldest. The kid has done nothing wrong, he shows up and plays. That is all you can ask.

Trey, you have implied or said this over and over again. My children are Well past Reserve or Pony level GCYL so I could care less what happens at those levels and I am not an “Elder guy” so your argument there doesn’t really have validity. But if the GCYL is going to survive, and I’m not sure it will either way. If an organization has come up with a way to create a competitive advantage within the rules, they will need to adjust the rules.
As I've always said, the kids that dominate grade school are almost always the oldest kids. I'm guessing this case is no exception, but it's not cheating. This dominance means next to nothing for varsity high school football. That's always been my point.

I would venture to guess the same is true for the "dominating" Vols reserve team. They probably have alot of kids that are older for their grade. It's just the reality of being the oldest at such a young age.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered that maybe CC is trying to participate in a competitive league, and in doing so has to create multiple teams within an age group so kids can develop and play safe? Did it dawn on you that CC doesnt have a sinister agenda afoot, and that, perhaps, all of your accusations against their youth football program are actually coming from a place of insecurity? CYF is not twisting the rules, taking advantage of loopholes, or trying to cheat. In fact, they face a multitude of challenges that go unnoticed. How about some appreciation for exceptional talent and some comraderie for your neighbors? Go CYF - all of this criticism is a sad consequence of their success!
It wouldn't be hard to split their teams by grade like every other program who have split teams does. It's actually HARDER doing it their way currently because there is an additional coaching staff per level, more teams means more practice schedules, etc. So sorry, I'm not buying this it's hard narrative you're pushing.

Everyone here comes at every argument based on how things are vs. how things could be.

It's so odd. In every other forum and in most walks of life, most people recognize shifts and try to find opportunity in it. So much opportunity to improve things and people can't even begin to fathom it as a possibility.

It is my understanding the League told Covington Catholic how to divide/set up their teams for this season. The League approved all of it.

Nobody is cheating and most coaches in the league during the regular season really don't care if a kid is a couple pounds over weight. Come playoffs if kids don't make weight they probably will not be allowed to play.

The League is not going to change anything. None of the combined programs are breaking up. In fact I think it is more likely we could see a couple more mergers because some of these programs would like to have teams for each grade level.

The League is not going to change anything. None of the combined programs are breaking up. In fact I think it is more likely we could see a couple more mergers because some of these programs would like to have teams for each grade level.
Fantastic vision and forward thinking right here. The more these parishes begin their consolidation, the more sports are going to be impacted. It's just common sense. Pastors are going to go out of their way to ensure community between new parish families, yet sports, which are a major part of parish community, aren't going to come together when everything else is?

Jude and Visitation are combining their basketball tournament for this very reason. Parish leadership wants the communities to come together as much as possible. So again, how will it make sense if every football program does something completely different with other schools that are members of a separate parish family?

The league not having a contingency plan, or at least a vision of how things could look in unison with BOL, will be a major mistake. But I'm not surprised - ego and football meatheads always think they know best. The lack of vision will lead to the rise of an independent option that kids will take much like what killed parochial baseball.

Kids will play - just not for their schools.

You're out of your mind if you don't think this BOL consolidation is going to impact sports.

Like I said, if the GCYL has any vision whatsoever, it will be better for them to get a plan proposed that takes the BOL consolidation into consideration.
I do agree with you on that. Work the plan as slow as needed but a formation that aligns with the BOL in sight. Example would be start moving the parishes to Antonius with a few of the parish families.

I do agree with you on that. Work the plan as slow as needed but a formation that aligns with the BOL in sight. Example would be start moving the parishes to Antonius with a few of the parish families.
I did hear parish families will be moving to Antonius starting next year

So the Cov Cath combo pony football team won their Championship (which was the lowest division) by a score of 50-0. This is exactly why schools are done with them.
That would mean the score was 50-0 at the end of the 3rd qtr based on the rule (I think) Very Sad.

This has to be the first time I can remember none of the West Side programs are in the Finals for the D1/D2 Championships at the Varsity level. There are 3 Eastside/North teams and Cov Cath in the Varsity Finals.

And their Reserve and Varsity teams are in the finals this weekend.
Their Pony, Reserve, and Varsity are in the finals of D1. There is also a D2 and a D3. Their combo teams all play at the lowest level. The All Star teams play D1. At the Varsity level they do things the right way and I have no problem with them there.

This has to be the first time I can remember none of the West Side programs are in the Finals for the D1/D2 Championships at the Varsity level. There are 3 Eastside/North teams and Cov Cath in the Varsity Finals.
Varsity was crazy this year, anyone could beat anyone on any given weekend.

And their Reserve and Varsity teams are in the finals this weekend.
Not sure how Cov Cath is any different than James, Golden Bears, or QOP programs that have 5+ Parishes feeding into one team. As posted before the League approved how Cov Cath divided their teams. I doubt there will be any changes.

This is the second year in a roll there has been a D2 team in the D1 Playoff finals. If you look at the head to head matchups during the season and playoffs not sure there is that much of a gap between the D1 and D2 teams. To me it seems like the teams with the biggest rosters are in the D1 finals with both SMOY/Columban and CovCath having almost 60 kids on their rosters. With that many kids they probably have 11 Dudes on the field pretty much the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.