2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the resident FC poster of Yappi.com, I’ll briefly wade into this discussion.

I think Doug is a good guy. He has good X’s and O’s. His general philosophy toward a program in the short and long term, well, they’re better suited in the Cleveland area.

I’d like to see what he can do with another crack at the HS head-coaching ranks. He’d be a home run hire at a smaller place like Trinity, Central Catholic; or, in the public sector, a Bedford, Maple Heights or even a Beachwood.

Although I’m not a “MOB”, I respect the Bengals’ tradition and history. To me, Doug checks at least some boxes of what I imagine Benedictine is looking for in their next coach. When it comes to other hypothetical boxes, like “what opportunities and strengths does the candidate find in the program’s alumni base” and assessing the acumen of how to work with a large group of stakeholders, frankly the only evaluation can come from interviewing Doug on it and looking at his body work pre-Richmond Heights (2012-2015?) FC and Benedictine are both fine schools and respectable traditions, but truly the two places are apples and oranges that only carry the common denominator of Roman Catholic principles. Comparing or even discussing FC in the same light as Benedictine is needless and unintelligent, and I respectfully ask that my guys get kept out of it.

May wisdom and diligence come to those tasked in the coach-finding process,

Dock
Hey pal,one of our fans mentioned this coach,so I looked him up. I saw that he coached there.Neither of us made any snide remarks about Fisher.To suggest we did is both needless,and unintelligent on your part. No hard feelings. DRB84

Hey pal,one of our fans mentioned this coach,so I looked him up. I saw that he coached there.Neither of us made any snide remarks about Fisher.To suggest we did is both needless,and unintelligent on your part. No hard feelings. DRB84
I didn’t say that anyone made a snide remark. Just that it’s not a useful nor thoughtful discussion. Pax.

Last 2 years Doug was the Co-HC/OC at Division 2 Teays Valley. Same scenario. 4-6 team to 9-1 team year 1. This year with 3-4 freshman starting, including the QB, Teays Valley went 5-5. The freshman QB broke all of the school passing records in 8 games played. Teays Valley is on the upswing. Benedictine would be on the upswing if they hired Doug.

Another local guy who could turn Benedictine around would be Adam Sopkovich. He was the HC at West Geauga 2 years ago.
Great guy! Good football smarts. Knows the game.

Another local guy who could turn Benedictine around would be Adam Sopkovich. He was the HC at West Geauga 2 years ago.
Great guy! Good football smarts. Knows the game.
Hey Findy, Urban Meyer is currently available also.Most coaches know the game,and are good guys,but the point your missing is,whoever we bring in better have a skill to attract talent to the program like the teams we play every year-Hoban,Walsh,ToledoCC,and the teams we will have to get by in region 9-VASJ and Ursuline.You can design all the fancy offenses,and play calling,but better have the players to make it work.Its all about the Jimmys,and the Joes.

Hey Findy, Urban Meyer is currently available also.Most coaches know the game,and are good guys,but the point your missing is,whoever we bring in better have a skill to attract talent to the program like the teams we play every year-Hoban,Walsh,ToledoCC,and the teams we will have to get by in region 9-VASJ and Ursuline.You can design all the fancy offenses,and play calling,but better have the players to make it work.Its all about the Jimmys,and the Joes.
Apparently, All coaches don't know the game.
I hate to tell you but, all of the schools you mentioned above have incredible Alumni who 100% support the football program, as well as all athletic teams. Including any campaign, the school has. They donate whatever is needed to be successful. Especially their time & effort to bring student athletes to the school. It takes more than a coach hanging out at CYO or Muni league games. As they say. To be successful. It Takes a Village!
It's easy to say look over there. I think it's time we all start looking in our own back yard.
VASJ has Rotzky. You know what that means. Ursuline has taken over Youngstown over the last several years. Hoban. If you don't know. You need to find out. Toledo CC really doesn't affect Benedictine. But i do know they have a Great Alumni base. Walsh. Their HC is a motivator. He does it with good to average players. Gets all out of everyone on that squad.

Apparently, All coaches don't know the game.
I hate to tell you but, all of the schools you mentioned above have incredible Alumni who 100% support the football program, as well as all athletic teams. Including any campaign, the school has. They donate whatever is needed to be successful. Especially their time & effort to bring student athletes to the school. It takes more than a coach hanging out at CYO or Muni league games. As they say. To be successful. It Takes a Village!
It's easy to say look over there. I think it's time we all start looking in our own back yard.
VASJ has Rotzky. You know what that means. Ursuline has taken over Youngstown over the last several years. Hoban. If you don't know. You need to find out. Toledo CC really doesn't affect Benedictine. But i do know they have a Great Alumni base. Walsh. Their HC is a motivator. He does it with good to average players. Gets all out of everyone on that squad.
Toledo CC does affect us since we play them every year.Walsh just went several years where they were terrible.Hoban did squat untill their current coach took over-check out Hobans record the 3 years prior to his arrival.I will save you the time 2-8,1-9,3-7. I guess they didn't have 100per cent alumni support those years.

Toledo CC does affect us since we play them every year.Walsh just went several years where they were terrible.Hoban did squat untill their current coach took over-check out Hobans record the 3 years prior to his arrival.I will save you the time 2-8,1-9,3-7. I guess they didn't have 100per cent alumni support those years.
Actually, Hoban was 4-6, 1-9, 2-8 in the three years prior to Coach Tyrrell's tenure, but that's just splitting hairs, I guess. Prior to that lapse, the program did a little more than "squat", however, making the playoffs 10 of the prior 12 seasons and twice reaching the State Semi-Final (losing one of those to Benedictine). Even in those three down seasons there was still strong alumni support and actually quite a few that were upset with a coaching change.. Benedictine has a stronger, longer tradition than most and, from the outside looking in, it seems the support will be quickly energized with a hire that moves the program back in a positive direction. Good luck to the Bengals.

Actually, Hoban was 4-6, 1-9, 2-8 in the three years prior to Coach Tyrrell's tenure, but that's just splitting hairs, I guess. Prior to that lapse, the program did a little more than "squat", however, making the playoffs 10 of the prior 12 seasons and twice reaching the State Semi-Final (losing one of those to Benedictine). Even in those three down seasons there was still strong alumni support and actually quite a few that were upset with a coaching change.. Benedictine has a stronger, longer tradition than most and, from the outside looking in, it seems the support will be quickly energized with a hire that moves the program back in a positive direction. Good luck to the Bengals.
With Hoban I meant squat at the state level,I know they made the playoffs,but they went from a solid program,to a dynasty because of the coach. Take Ursuline, they won state several times when coach Reardon was there the 1st time,he left,and they went down the tubes.Benny dropped 50 on them the last time they played.Reardon came back,and they are contenders again.If he was to leave they would fall back again. VASJ was getting rolled by D7 teams just 2 years ago,and when Rotsky wears out his welcome,they will go back to what they were.Same with Walsh,the same alumni were there when thy were going 0-10.They made a great hire,and he turned them around. My point to all of this is the only thing that changed at these places was the coach nothing else.

With Hoban I meant squat at the state level,I know they made the playoffs,but they went from a solid program,to a dynasty because of the coach. Take Ursuline, they won state several times when coach Reardon was there the 1st time,he left,and they went down the tubes.Benny dropped 50 on them the last time they played.Reardon came back,and they are contenders again.If he was to leave they would fall back again. VASJ was getting rolled by D7 teams just 2 years ago,and when Rotsky wears out his welcome,they will go back to what they were.Same with Walsh,the same alumni were there when thy were going 0-10.They made a great hire,and he turned them around. My point to all of this is the only thing that changed at these places was the coach nothing else.
So you are really saying it was ok to have ray Williams playing (nothing else?) as a "mob" because you had 2 titles with him and without him no titles but probably playoff games too.

Art and Al great coaches, but without RW??????????????

I don't remember Sutton ever getting arrested for AR, instead going to NWU.

guess that's a fair comparison??

So, student/athletes will attend Benedictine from Toledo? The point is Benedictine needs to play a realistic schedule moving forward. Until the cupboards get re-stocked. Right now, playing dynasty's, is not good for the Benedictine football program. Allow the new HC to come in & take some time to build something. Playing TCC, Hoban, DaMatha, Erie Prep, is like spitting into the wind when you are starting 6 sophomores. The time you want to see TCC is in the playoffs for now. Build up the players. Tearing them down weekly is demoralizing. Get some wins, build some momentum. After several years of re-building, when the team has players ready to compete week in & week out with stronger competition, increase the strength of schedule.
It's easy to talk about the Hoban's & TCC's of the world. Please examine all it took to get to the level they're currently at. It wasn't just a coaching change that created winning every year. A lot of investment went into their programs.

So, student/athletes will attend Benedictine from Toledo? The point is Benedictine needs to play a realistic schedule moving forward. Until the cupboards get re-stocked. Right now, playing dynasty's, is not good for the Benedictine football program. Allow the new HC to come in & take some time to build something. Playing TCC, Hoban, DaMatha, Erie Prep, is like spitting into the wind when you are starting 6 sophomores. The time you want to see TCC is in the playoffs for now. Build up the players. Tearing them down weekly is demoralizing. Get some wins, build some momentum. After several years of re-building, when the team has players ready to compete week in & week out with stronger competition, increase the strength of schedule.
It's easy to talk about the Hoban's & TCC's of the world. Please examine all it took to get to the level they're currently at. It wasn't just a coaching change that created winning every year. A lot of investment went into their programs.
I appreciate your position, but I think you're overlooking a couple of things. First, the schedules are done so far in advance that there's no way to predict how good your opponent is going to be by the time you get to playing them. Certainly, no one expected Benedictine to be 0-10 this year. Second, once you lose a team in the scheduling rotation, it's not easy to just flip the switch and get them back on. Often, those teams move on and establish relationships with other programs and fill the schedule with those teams.

I appreciate your position, but I think you're overlooking a couple of things. First, the schedules are done so far in advance that there's no way to predict how good your opponent is going to be by the time you get to playing them. Certainly, no one expected Benedictine to be 0-10 this year. Second, once you lose a team in the scheduling rotation, it's not easy to just flip the switch and get them back on. Often, those teams move on and establish relationships with other programs and fill the schedule with those teams.
Traditionally, Benedictine has had issues getting teams on the schedule. Last season there were 3 open dates. They were filled by DaMatha, TCC, & Buchtel. The schedule at Benedictine is in constant flux. Why should a team loke John Hay travel to beaver Local to get beat 56-6, when they can play in Cleveland & this year, anyway, have a chance to win the game?

Buddy,I may be a new poster,but I've been around Benedictine a long time.The previous coach took over AFTER the talent on the 2014-2015 teams had left.There wasn't a lot coming back in 2016. He then MADE the playoffs in 2017. The 2018 team was basically a very good senior QB, and a bunch of sophmores that he brought into the program.He went 4-6. Not good, but better than 0-10.He was then let go by some kuckleheads,nobody knows who calls the shots around here.This staff benefited by having his players experienced,and ready to go.
I have been around a long time as well and you make a silly post like a lot of talent wasn't coming back? I looked up the roster and players like Reese, Jefferson, Corlew, Ward, Lacey, Williams, Williams and Fox(there could be more) all went on to play college football and some of these guys were D1 players. You can have your opinion, but to just make false posts doesn't help anyone. Go Bengals!!

Traditionally, Benedictine has had issues getting teams on the schedule. Last season there were 3 open dates. They were filled by DaMatha, TCC, & Buchtel. The schedule at Benedictine is in constant flux. Why should a team loke John Hay travel to beaver Local to get beat 56-6, when they can play in Cleveland & this year, anyway, have a chance to win the game?
Almost true, Benedictine handily beat TCC the previous year so that game was scheduled for this year, the DeMatha game was not smart and to say Benedictine shouldn't play Hoban is crazy. Last year, the game was 14-10 or something like that at half, 2 yrs ago Benedictine gave them their toughest game losing on a controversial ref call late in the game with Benny down a TD. If these teams would blow them out every year by 30-40 pts then I would agree but that isn't the case.

So you are really saying it was ok to have ray Williams playing (nothing else?) as a "mob" because you had 2 titles with him and without him no titles but probably playoff games too.

I don't get what this has to do with what I was talking about.One of our fans said it takes a whole village to turn around a program,and I gave 5 examples where it took only a coach.Don't know why you have to bring up this incident that happened 20 years ago.For your info,Ray went to a college in N.Carolina,and graduated.Also coach Al was long gone when Ray was here.

Forgot to add.We won only 1 Title with Ray,and 1 runners-up.We won 7 more without him,and several final fours.

Almost true, Benedictine handily beat TCC the previous year so that game was scheduled for this year, the DeMatha game was not smart and to say Benedictine shouldn't play Hoban is crazy. Last year, the game was 14-10 or something like that at half, 2 yrs ago Benedictine gave them their toughest game losing on a controversial ref call late in the game with Benny down a TD. If these teams would blow them out every year by 30-40 pts then I would agree but that isn't the case.
For this instance I will agree.Play good teams.Thats how you get better.How did we get in this spot where we cant compete?Just last year we were a contender,now we have play weak teams.

I have been around a long time as well and you make a silly post like a lot of talent wasn't coming back? I looked up the roster and players like Reese, Jefferson, Corlew, Ward, Lacey, Williams, Williams and Fox(there could be more) all went on to play college football and some of these guys were D1 players. You can have your opinion, but to just make false posts doesn't help anyone. Go Bengals!!
Hey coach,outside of Reese,who missed half the season with injuries,and 2 o-lineman,the rest of that great team graduated.Fox and Jefferson ended up being very good players,but they were sophomores on that team,and weren't established yet.

We were told all off-season by Fr.Willie, and coach Grind for 9,how great this team would be.Go read the first 40 pages of this thread.Fr.Willie gave anyone who said otherwise a stern lecture.Now we go 0 for the season,and the team was young,and we need to start playing the little sisters of the poor.You clowns crack me up.

Ray was one of the best to ever wear the uniform ON THE FIELD. Bortnick was great at Benny, his time did run out though and they needed to move on...we will see what happens over the next few weeks
For this instance I will agree.Play good teams.Thats how you get better.How did we get in this spot where we cant compete?Just last year we were a contender,now we have play weak teams.
Down year with little experience where the team competed and realistically should have won both vs Walsh(8-2) and Clev Hts(9-1) and losing 5 games by a TD or less. I don't think this team is that far away...now transfers could play a role but maybe some of those kids leaving were part of the problem who knows

Hey coach,outside of Reese,who missed half the season with injuries,and 2 o-lineman,the rest of that great team graduated.Fox and Jefferson ended up being very good players,but they were sophomores on that team,and weren't established yet.
Hey clueless fan(maybe relative of Coach Welo), I just gave you all the names that were returning in 2016 and kids that went on to play college football....you lost all credibility when you started to suggest Coach Welo got a raw deal. That hire was brutal for the school and made it worse being an Ignatius guy. We should be on the same page with that last statement if you are truly a Bengal, but it sounds like you wanted him to stick around for more years so I have my doubts

We were told all off-season by Fr.Willie, and coach Grind for 9,how great this team would be.Go read the first 40 pages of this thread.Fr.Willie gave anyone who said otherwise a stern lecture.Now we go 0 for the season,and the team was young,and we need to start playing the little sisters of the poor.You clowns crack me up.
Go away, this place was better when you weren't posting your negative stuff

Go away, this place was better when you weren't posting your negative stuff
It was better because you and Fr.Willie were bullying everyone,and nobody called you out.I've come to the rescue.I just wish that you and the other 25 assistant coaches we had on the sidelines,would have had more success this year.We all miss not being in the playoffs.

Most privates have the same scheduling issue

It was better because you and Fr.Willie were bullying everyone,and nobody called you out.I've come to the rescue.I just wish that you and the other 25 assistant coaches we had on the sidelines,would have had more success this year.We all miss not being in the playoffs.
Bullying everyone on a computer....no way you are a Benny guy if you are that SOFT, btw, I am sure Coach Goode and his staff would have loved to of had 25 assistants

Benedictines Projected 2023-2024 Schedule
Week 1 - Walsh
Week 2 - Avon Lake
Week 3 - Nordonia
Week 4 - Saint Francis (NY)
Week 5 - Bucthel
Week 6 - Open
Week 7 - Canisus (NY)
Week 8 - Cathedral Prep
Week 9 - Strongsville (Maybe)
Week 10 - STVM

Lots of familiar faces, does anyone know anything about these New York teams??

Bullying everyone on a computer....no way you are a Benny guy if you are that SOFT, btw, I am sure Coach Goode and his staff would have loved to of had 25 assistants
After talking crap for months, you went silent mode after Benny lost a few games in a row.. So, you must not be a Benny guy either... SOFT

Benedictines Projected 2023-2024 Schedule
Week 1 - Walsh
Week 2 - Avon Lake
Week 3 - Nordonia
Week 4 - Saint Francis (NY)
Week 5 - Bucthel
Week 6 - Open
Week 7 - Canisus (NY)
Week 8 - Cathedral Prep
Week 9 - Strongsville (Maybe)
Week 10 - STVM

Lots of familiar faces, does anyone know anything about these New York teams??
NY teams? Hopefully they're home games for us. How about a Senate team? Iggy and Eds play them.

I don't get what this has to do with what I was talking about.One of our fans said it takes a whole village to turn around a program,and I gave 5 examples where it took only a coach.Don't know why you have to bring up this incident that happened 20 years ago.For your info,Ray went to a college in N.Carolina,and graduated.Also coach Al was long gone when Ray was here.
I am not going to spell it out for you. You will need to do some research on the 5 teams/coaches you mentioned to find out how they turned the corner. Believe me it wasn't just the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.