2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how productive it is to compare Coach Salata to previous coaches. He's been here less than one calendar year. He inherited last year's roster and didn't even have a chance to run a summer program to prepare for last season. Bill Self couldn't have been expected to walk into a new HS team so late in the year and win right away. Why would we expect that of any new coach?

I've been watching Benedictine basketball games for many years. It's been a wild ride with lots of highs and its fair share of lows. Success has been cyclical for our program - which isn't unusual across the HS landscape. I could argue that we've had teams that outperformed their overall skill level and others that did the opposite. We've had some absolutely loaded and experienced teams and others that were in a rebuilding mode. Right now, we happen to be rebuilding. Our team was heavily reliant on sophomores last year. That being the case, I'm glad Coach Salata is in charge of righting the ship. He's the right man for the job and has a tremendous staff working with him.

I'm very optimistic about what he and his staff will do with the program over the next few years. And, yes, he deserves a few years to show what he can do. It would be unreasonable to say anything to the contrary.

If I could give him one endorsement it would be this: If I was looking for a coach to run a program in which one of my sons wanted to participate it would be Coach Salata. I've met him a few times and watched how he treats people. I'd want my son to play for a coach like him. As word gets around, I'd expect other parents to feel the same way. He's the kind of leader who can get the program to the point where it sells itself. Just give him some time.

Basketball has always been relevant at Benedictine. That hasn't changed. If you want more success, and thus, more relevance, ask yourself what you can do to support Coach Salata, his staff, and the students on the team. Help them. Give them all the support they deserve as fellow Men of Benedictine.

I'm not sure how productive it is to compare Coach Salata to previous coaches. He's been here less than one calendar year. He inherited last year's roster and didn't even have a chance to run a summer program to prepare for last season. Bill Self couldn't have been expected to walk into a new HS team so late in the year and win right away. Why would we expect that of any new coach?

I've been watching Benedictine basketball games for many years. It's been a wild ride with lots of highs and its fair share of lows. Success has been cyclical for our program - which isn't unusual across the HS landscape. I could argue that we've had teams that outperformed their overall skill level and others that did the opposite. We've had some absolutely loaded and experienced teams and others that were in a rebuilding mode. Right now, we happen to be rebuilding. Our team was heavily reliant on sophomores last year. That being the case, I'm glad Coach Salata is in charge of righting the ship. He's the right man for the job and has a tremendous staff working with him.

I'm very optimistic about what he and his staff will do with the program over the next few years. And, yes, he deserves a few years to show what he can do. It would be unreasonable to say anything to the contrary.

If I could give him one endorsement it would be this: If I was looking for a coach to run a program in which one of my sons wanted to participate it would be Coach Salata. I've met him a few times and watched how he treats people. I'd want my son to play for a coach like him. As word gets around, I'd expect other parents to feel the same way. He's the kind of leader who can get the program to the point where it sells itself. Just give him some time.

Basketball has always been relevant at Benedictine. That hasn't changed. If you want more success, and thus, more relevance, ask yourself what you can do to support Coach Salata, his staff, and the students on the team. Help them. Give them all the support they deserve as fellow Men of Benedictine.
Football blog

Plucking form the Cleveland Public schools. So impressive
They're not "plucking" from CMSD. The kids who transfer to Benedictine do so on their own. It's the same thing when kids transfer to Glenville, St. Edward, St. Ignatius, Hoban, SVSM, VASJ, or anywhere else. It's their choice.

NOTE: I attended and played sports at a CMSD school in the late 90s, so I'm not a Benedictine homer at all

Back to football: I keep hearing this is the most talented Bengal team in at least the last 10 years. Lots of athletes, good size and a very coachable group. Division 3 is loaded but I’d be shocked if Benny isn’t playing in at least week 3 of playoffs.

Back to football: I keep hearing this is the most talented Bengal team in at least the last 10 years. Lots of athletes, good size and a very coachable group. Division 3 is loaded but I’d be shocked if Benny isn’t playing in at least week 3 of playoffs.
Slow it down big fella!
5 years maybe, 10 years not so much. Lol

But yes, I expect us to make another playoff run this season too.

Not even close to one of the most talented and right now it can't sniff '14 or '15
I think the OL/DL will lead the way

The good news is the lines will be veteran and have the most talent, In HS FB that is a big plus. The skills have a lot of question marks though and some younger unproven players will need to learn quickly, especially with how the schedule breaks to start the year. Also at the key spot of QB there will be a learning curve, no matter how good the physical tools are the speed of a varsity game can take time to figure out. Now a 5-5 10ish seed Benedictine would be a tough match up for a traditional Div 3 team in the playoffs and I could see a long run in November possible if the young guys improve during the season.

And another transfer showed up last week. Solon??? I could be wrong on school Really big kid, DL I believe.

By the way I am sure many NCAA coaches will be watching to see how Illiano does against this guy:

Put up some nice tape and maybe that offer list expands to a higher level.
Illiano is going to need to keep his feet moving against this guy. He makes a lot of plays when the o lineman stops moving their feet.
Couldn't believe, watching this film, how many times the opposing team didn't have a blocker for this guy.
How many times he had a free run.
How many times the opposing team tried to zone block this guy with a guard who wasn't quick enough to get to him.
Whoever on the Benedictine O Line that gets this challenge. Please stay active until the whistle blows. Keep moving.

Illiano is going to need to keep his feet moving against this guy. He makes a lot of plays when the o lineman stops moving their feet.
Couldn't believe, watching this film, how many times the opposing team didn't have a blocker for this guy.
How many times he had a free run.
How many times the opposing team tried to zone block this guy with a guard who wasn't quick enough to get to him.
Whoever on the Benedictine O Line that gets this challenge. Please stay active until the whistle blows. Keep moving.
Those are the highlights so you have to take this film with a grain of salt. That being said the dude has all the physical tools and there is a reason he is a top 100 recruit, these athletic edges are the kind guys you see at the next level and make good but not great OTs look silly.

Don't worry, fr. willie, Yappi won't suspend me for commenting about the basketball team on the football forum. Threads with comments about multiple sports are quite common.

DD4B0879-3692-407E-A63B-7C694F7F8CB0.jpeg

7 on 7’s Thursday at Benedictine. Might be playing Maple Hts or Bedford. If they can’t get either of those teams , Bene will just hold a practice . Lucas Kaltenbach will not be the QB Thursday , he is playing baseball.

I heard Iliano had some big time throws Saturday, but also missed some easy ones....progress being made is the key since its only early July

Status
Not open for further replies.