2022-2023 Ohio State Basketball

So typical - stupid emotional reaction. A few facts:

1 - this is not football - Rutgers is decent
2 - Rutgers will finish in the top half of the Big Ten. they smoked Indiana by 25 the other day.
3 - Rutgers big man will be drafted into the NBA, he is legit
4 - OSU was missing an important starter (Likekele)
That is questionable, have also lost to Temple and Miami. Game vs Indiana was at Rutgers where Rutgers has pulled off a no. of upsets.

Holden's shot at the buzzer should not have counted, was oob's than stepped back in to receive the pass. This team has a lot of issues esp. lack of size and on defense gives up too many easy baskets. Possibly finish 500 in the BIG.
Agree on all counts - we definitely got the benefit of the no-call.

And yes, lack of size is a concern. When Zed can stay out of foul trouble, like against Rutgers, he showed what he can do with 30+ minutes. 23 pts and 14 boards against a very good 6-11 player. So keeping him on the floor is crucial, and having Okpara develop quickly is important.

Holden's shot at the buzzer should not have counted, was oob's than stepped back in to receive the pass. This team has a lot of issues esp. lack of size and on defense gives up too many easy baskets. Possibly finish 500 in the BIG.
Yeah man, that’s par for the course. The Big 10 is so damn deep its like the NFL, a few games over .500 is a damn good season. Ohio State was 12-8 last year and finished tied for 4th in the league, while the league champ was 15-5. I think they play well together and are well coached, but it’s going to be an absolute grind

Same. I tell the players and coaches what to do, yell at the refs, etc. I'm not a sane person during games. My wife says multiple times "they can't hear you".
She’s wrong. Every once in awhile I’ll yell at [random player here] to take the dang open shot and he does. Clearly it gets through the tv from time to time 😉

She’s wrong. Every once in awhile I’ll yell at [random player here] to take the dang open shot and he does. Clearly it gets through the tv from time to time 😉
Now if only we can get this to somehow work on Ryan Day. :ROFLMAO:

All that to say, I travel quite a bit, and am superstitious about listening to Paul Keels on the radio feed. I feel like when I watch live, then don't do as well. So I'm routinely yelling inside my car. Lol.

Now if only we can get this to somehow work on Ryan Day. :ROFLMAO:

All that to say, I travel quite a bit, and am superstitious about listening to Paul Keels on the radio feed. I feel like when I watch live, then don't do as well. So I'm routinely yelling inside my car. Lol.
You listen on your phone? App or link?

North Carolina coaching last 2 seconds of regulation was very good, get the ball to half court than the lob pass to Nance on the oob's play. I know this is 20/20 hindsight but why not bring Okpara to guard the throw in.

Holtmann had some god awful coaching decisions at clutch times in that game but honestly the better team won. OSU was exposed for not having a lot of quickness or ball handlers. Thornton is tough and strong but he isn’t quick and struggled against their quickness and speed when they pressed. Also, OSU outside of Okpara has no size inside. They needed another 6’9 or 6’10 guy to be a good team this year. Lastly, Sean McNeil should be playing as little as possible against good teams. He essentially gives the team nothing in these games

Holtmann had some god awful coaching decisions at clutch times in that game but honestly the better team won. OSU was exposed for not having a lot of quickness or ball handlers. Thornton is tough and strong but he isn’t quick and struggled against their quickness and speed when they pressed. Also, OSU outside of Okpara has no size inside. They needed another 6’9 or 6’10 guy to be a good team this year. Lastly, Sean McNeil should be playing as little as possible against good teams. He essentially gives the team nothing in these games
OSU led for 32 minutes of this game and should have won. However, played the last 2 seconds too passively and agree OSU is going to suffer all year on the interior. The zebras were bad but OSU just 7/14 at the foul line.

OSU led for 32 minutes of this game and should have won. However, played the last 2 seconds too passively and agree OSU is going to suffer all year on the interior. The zebras were bad but OSU just 7/14 at the foul line.
Yes, but it doesn’t make any difference how long you lead, only if you‘re leading at the final buzzer.

This was the key that I was going to mention - OSU was great at the line until this game.

A very solid effort by the guys, but a loss because:
- missed foul shots
- While Thornton played mostly well (shot great), his 5 TO against heavy pressure was out of character and hurt
- Bacot was too strong for Zed, which is unusual
- We missed the ball handling and maturity of Likekele. Anyone know what is happening with him?

This was the key that I was going to mention - OSU was great at the line until this game.

- missed foul shots
- While Thornton played mostly well (shot great), his 5 TO against heavy pressure was out of character and hurt
- We missed the ball handling and maturity of Likekele. Anyone know what is happening with him?
Bacot is a baller! He may be the least handsome player in college basketball, but he can rebound, score, affect shots, etc.

As far as foul shots. Ohio State is 204 out of 363 teams in free throw attempts per game.
Top is 29.4, OSU is 17.4, and last is 11.2.
Last year OSU was 18.2.
Low number of attempts with only 14. But 50% at the line is not good.

UNC missed 8 FTs to OSUs 7 so that wasn’t as big of a difference as people make it out to be. They did get to the FT line more often though due to having Bacot as an option

- missed foul shots
Only playing 8 players left our players highly tired, and up and down game is not the type of game for Zed Key and Bruce Thornton was playing the 1 the entirety of the game. Need Likele back to give him a rest. Even though he’s no good I would like Eugene Brown back too to give us some more length and defense

Only playing 8 players left our players highly tired, and up and down game is not the type of game for Zed Key and Bruce Thornton was playing the 1 the entirety of the game. Need Likele back to give him a rest. Even though he’s no good I would like Eugene Brown back too to give us some more length and defense
Mostly agree. But running is when the team is at it’s best. Do you think there are current players who can give them the ability to run without sacrificing too much in production? Recruiting bigs should be a high priority. Does Holtmann know how to recruit bigs?