2022-2023 Ohio State Basketball

Mentioned by utsherman in the CFB forum but Gene Smith is retiring June 30 2024. I think, outside of another off the rails season in the W-L column, Holtmann is safe for 2 more years now. New AD may want their own basketball guy but taking over that late into the summer is too late to make a change.
So that means we could be looking at another two wasted years of OSU hoops.

I’ve still yet to see someone give a name that would be a better head coach for Ohio State
According to you most likely not, but I would take a chance on R.H. bball coach, we know he can recruit can't be any worse than Holtmann at coaching (plus it would get him out of D4 in Ohio H.S. bball) but that is just one name out of a hundred I could come up with another one is currently coaching at Ball State.

According to you most likely not, but I would take a chance on R.H. bball coach, we know he can recruit can't be any worse than Holtmann at coaching (plus it would get him out of D4 in Ohio H.S. bball) but that is just one name out of a hundred I could come up with another one is currently coaching at Ball State.
Are you afraid or unable to spell these guys names? Your grammar indicates it may be a spelling challenge. Also, if you think a D4 high school coach is getting hired at OSU, you need to think again.

Still waiting on names that would be available and better than Holtmann.

Are you afraid or unable to spell these guys names? Your grammar indicates it may be a spelling challenge. Also, if you think a D4 high school coach is getting hired at OSU, you need to think again.

Still waiting on names that would be available and better than Holtmann.
I’ve always been a Gregg Marshall fan. If OSU felt the Wichita stuff has blown over and he is ready for another chance, bring him in.

Michael Lewis? Need to see more out of him besides one year at 20-12 in the MAC

I’ve always been a Gregg Marshall fan. If OSU felt the Wichita stuff has blown over and he is ready for another chance, bring him in.
As a UC alum/fan, I followed Wichita State semi closely. It was not. Heck, even his wife was banned from UC’s arena.

also not much of a recruiter.

As a UC alum/fan, I followed Wichita State semi closely. It was not. Heck, even his wife was banned from UC’s arena.

also not much of a recruiter.
Yeah, but I wonder what he could do with OSU’s resources considering what he did at Winthrop and Wichita State.

Sorry, a 60 year old with mid-major success and all sorts of baggage for physical/verbal abuse of players and assistant coaches is not the guy.

Sorry, a 60 year old with mid-major success and all sorts of baggage for physical/verbal abuse of players and assistant coaches is not the guy.
The rest isn’t a concern, but the age is not ideal. Age isn’t a killer, as long as you can still get it done like an Izzo or Kelvin Sampson and others, but I would prefer a younger coach too.

I'd kick the tires on this list, but I especially like Dennis Gates.

Pat Kelsey
Matt Langel
Darian DeVries
Shaka Smart
Dennis Gates
Buzz Williams

Last edited:
This is a real answer?

My concern with Gates is Mizzou is winning the recruiting battles largely due to NIL. I have not followed CSU or Mizzou close enough on the court with him to know if he’s be an upgrade or not though so can’t say definitely one way or another on him.

My concern with Gates is Mizzou is winning the recruiting battles largely due to NIL. I have not followed CSU or Mizzou close enough on the court with him to know if he’s be an upgrade or not though so can’t say definitely one way or another on him.
They play NBA style of position less basketball. Which is also a big reason they are doing well in recruiting

They play NBA style of position less basketball. Which is also a big reason they are doing well in recruiting
He played the same style at Cleveland State with lesser talent. A lot of interchangeable players. Used ten players most games. Is a Leonard Hamilton disciple, so you have to be willing to play defense to see the court. A very charismatic presence. I’m not a Holtmann hater, but I would take Gates over him in a heartbeat.

He played the same style at Cleveland State with lesser talent. A lot of interchangeable players. Used ten players most games. Is a Leonard Hamilton disciple, so you have to be willing to play defense to see the court. A very charismatic presence. I’m not a Holtmann hater, but I would take Gates over him in a heartbeat.
They did get ran out of the gym by Princeton in the 2nd round. It will be interesting to see if they have good success if he’s willing to stay or wanting to leave to a bigger brand

They did get ran out of the gym by Princeton in the 2nd round. It will be interesting to see if they have good success if he’s willing to stay or wanting to leave to a bigger brand
I mean, in college hoops, is Ohio State that much of an upgrade over Mizzou? Neither is a heavyweight, but both have good hoops traditions and support.

I mean, in college hoops, is Ohio State that much of an upgrade over Mizzou? Neither is a heavyweight, but both have good hoops traditions and support.
When you factor school, alumni, and facilities Ohio St is considered a top 20 program. So yes Ohio St is an upgrade over Missouri

Think it’s less OSU basketball and more the fact no many people care until football season starts dying down.
I would have definitely watched, but not paying for a 9th streaming service. If anyone did watch, I'd love to hear comments. I looked at the box score, seems like Oakland had a couple shooters.

I just watched the highlights. Buckeyes pulled away late in the game.

As a Duke fan, also, I noticed the Devils next two games with top twenty teams (Arizona and Sparty) are available - on Fubo.

I'll listen on the radio, but am resigned to the fact we may/will be paying for more games in the future. Sigh...

btw, there is a new thread for this year. Go Bucks!