2021 St. Xavier Bombers

BlueBomber94

The defending D1 State Champion Bombers are reloaded for a second run at state with a magnitude of returning starters on both sides of the ball, mostly on offense. With this schedule how will the fair against many new opponents or teams they have not played for many years?

08/20 H West Chester Lakota West
08/27 A Cincinnati Colerain
09/03 A Powell Olentangy Liberty
09/10 A Mishawaka Penn (IN)
09/17 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller**
09/24 H Cincinnati Elder**
10/01 H Louisville Trinity (KY)
10/08 H Cincinnati La Salle**
10/15 A Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/22 H Eagle's Landing Christian (GA)

** league games

I can see LS and/or Trinity perhaps making a game of it, but TBH it's pretty easy to imagine 10-0 going into the tournament.

The defending D1 State Champion Bombers are reloaded for a second run at state with a magnitude of returning starters on both sides of the ball, mostly on offense. With this schedule how will the fair against many new opponents or teams they have not played for many years?

08/20 H West Chester Lakota West
08/27 A Cincinnati Colerain
09/03 A Powell Olentangy Liberty
09/10 A Mishawaka Penn (IN)
09/17 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller**
09/24 H Cincinnati Elder**
10/01 H Louisville Trinity (KY)
10/08 H Cincinnati La Salle**
10/15 A Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/22 H Eagle's Landing Christian (GA)

** league games
At this point in the year, someone will have to take it from X. SW Ohio, to include Springfield, is tough though. It will not be a cakewalk.

Lakota West is going to be really good. They had StX on the ropes in the playoffs until the final TD by the Bombers. Springfield is also going to be loaded. I actually think Moeller is going to be pretty good. They have a lot of athletes in the junior and senior classes. I look for the Crusaders to be much improved. Elder and Lasalle are always tough games. I can see StX going 10-0 in the regular season but I can also see them maybe losing one or two games. A lot of it will depend on how healthy they can keep their key players.

Lakota West is going to be really good. They had StX on the ropes in the playoffs until the final TD by the Bombers. Springfield is also going to be loaded. I actually think Moeller is going to be pretty good. They have a lot of athletes in the junior and senior classes. I look for the Crusaders to be much improved. Elder and Lasalle are always tough games. I can see StX going 10-0 in the regular season but I can also see them maybe losing one or two games. A lot of it will depend on how healthy they can keep their key players.
Well said.

Sorry to be a downer, but unless West finds a new DC on the level of Carlton Gray, they'll be taking a step back this year.

Agree more on Springfield than West, they have a ton of talent coming back, and is a much more complete team than West. Don't get me wrong, LW has plenty of talent returning, BUT they lost 3 of their top 4 tacklers to graduation, and their offense was awful against X aside from a big play or two. The week 1 match up will be very interesting, because I don't think X will be as reliant on the WR play, which is what LW's strength is.

Moeller really does have some talent and speed returning, but I think that they are probably a year away from putting it all together.

X's schedule doesn't have any cupcakes, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do have a loss or two. I don't know what Trinity, Penn, or the GA teams look like this year, but traveling to Mishawaka and Cleveland are grinders. Equally, it would not surprise me if they went undefeated in somewhat dominant fashion because of the talent and balance they have coming back. In my opinion, it's the best team they have had since 2007.

Ignatius is Ignatius and can never overlook them...especially at home. However, they may be a year or two away from being really good again.

Sorry to be a downer, but unless West finds a new DC on the level of Carlton Gray, they'll be taking a step back this year.

I would agree. They have a lot of top level talent returning but they lost a lot of those midlevel talent in the front 7. The couple of seniors LBs and DL really made the defense high level. Those kids weren't the right size to be high DI players but they were really good at the high school level. Add to it the still unsolved enigma at LW of finding a QB that can throw it consistently. If Bolden was still running an option based offense, even out of the gun, I think the offense could be better but they haven't committed to that yet.

Colerain won't be completely down and out but in the trenches they just don't have the depth and bodies anymore. Add in a couple two way players adapting to the workload and a Sophmore QB in his 2nd varsity start, and Week 2 will be much less competitive than a potential rematch in the playoffs. Colerain will be much like the team that lost in the Regional Final a few years ago to Elder, but not as big on the DL. Side Note: Weeks 9 and 10 in the GMC will be an intense battle between Colerain, a Defensive led LW, and Offensive led Princeton.

SWO is set up for X, who is probably the most complete and balanced team, that has loads of experience. They may not have the superstar weapon but they still have the best O-line and a DI QB. Springfield and LW may have more high end talent but overall X probably has the most.

I think you all are underestimating the depth Lakota West had last season that is going to fill several of the starting spots this season. I also think Bolden is going to be much improved at QB with his decision making. I don't see them losing any conference games and they will give StX all they can handle in week 1.

This is a fair point. And the score was an unfortunate defensive breakdown to boot.

I think you all are underestimating the depth Lakota West had last season that is going to fill several of the starting spots this season. I also think Bolden is going to be much improved at QB with his decision making. I don't see them losing any conference games and they will give StX all they can handle in week 1.
I'm interested to see the continued progress of LW. Bolden was able to inherit a Colerain program that was already an established power under Coombs, and this is a bit of a different challenge since there is some program and system building that needs to be done. There is bound to be talent there given the enrollment numbers, so that should never be in doubt, and they will get over that GCL hump sooner rather than later. They were not great (or even good) at the offensive skill positions last year, and their scores got inflated because the GMC really isn't much competition, and the defense gave the offense back the ball so often. I'm not trying to take away from them, they gave X all they could handle last year, and I am sure will be very competitive this year and for years to come. I am also sure they will be a different team in Week 1 than in the postseason. Fortunately X is returning a boatload of experienced talent, which should give them an advantage over most teams early on.

I'm interested to see the continued progress of LW. Bolden was able to inherit a Colerain program that was already an established power under Coombs, and this is a bit of a different challenge since there is some program and system building that needs to be done. There is bound to be talent there given the enrollment numbers, so that should never be in doubt, and they will get over that GCL hump sooner rather than later. They were not great (or even good) at the offensive skill positions last year, and their scores got inflated because the GMC really isn't much competition, and the defense gave the offense back the ball so often. I'm not trying to take away from them, they gave X all they could handle last year, and I am sure will be very competitive this year and for years to come. I am also sure they will be a different team in Week 1 than in the postseason. Fortunately X is returning a boatload of experienced talent, which should give them an advantage over most teams early on.

I dunno...David Afari was pretty good. ?‍♂️

I'd say worst they go is 7-3 I can honestly see West LS and Trinity giving them competitions the hype coming into this year I'd say is similar to 2017 My big concern with this team is the minimal holes they do have to fill are big ones (WR, NG, MLB, CB) Losing Clifford, Albanese, Devine, Patterson, and Dubois are crucial and losing a few key players may not seem much but it could have a big impact a good example is last years La Salle team. But my actual prediction is 9-1 I think they will lose to either Lakota West La Salle Trinity or heck maybe Moeller

At this point in the year, someone will have to take it from X. SW Ohio, to include Springfield, is tough though. It will not be a cakewalk.

Yes, certainly not a cakewalk by any means. I looked up some of the teams on the schedule and winning is something they all do often but I am unsure of their division equivalency (not that it always matters). The playoffs will determine who is prepared for the gauntlet of opponents a team will face on their way to the state finals.

Yes, certainly not a cakewalk by any means. I looked up some of the teams on the schedule and winning is something they all do often but I am unsure of their division equivalency (not that it always matters). The playoffs will determine who is prepared for the gauntlet of opponents a team will face on their way to the state finals.
Yes sir. This is all great news for the high school football fans in SW Ohio.

X and LW don't play week 1. Its a scrimmage, unless they play 11 games.

i like how some of the x posters like to take jabs at the gmc. lol the gmc is a great conference in all sports.

jtk
()

i am totally with that, but some talk like the gmc has noone that can compete. btw, and a point in my life i coached in the gcl.

jtk
()
You may or may not have coached in the GCL, but your grammatical errors and composition skills suggest that you did not attend a GCL school. :)