2021 St. Edward Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where Danny Enovitch finished from a rushing total at the end of the regular season, but he put up 881 yards throughout the last 6 weeks. Probably would have eclipsed 1,000 if he hadn't have been rested during the Lorain game (2 total carries, both for TD's). He gets my nod for the offensive MVP of this team (with a collective nod to the entire O-line unit).

Imagine walking out of the last game of the 2009 St. Edward season — a 28-0 thrashing by St. Ignatius and — to end the year with a 4-6 overall record.

Now imagine someone telling you that the Eagles would not only win their first state championship the next season but also that they’d have five football banners by the end 2021.

Improbable and absurd.

And I would argue that they should have won at least one more.

An amazing run and unlikely to happen again. Congrats to the kids and coaches.

Remember when that jacka** GencoEd said he wanted no part of Lombardo as head coach??? What an idiot he was……

Congrats, Eagles!!!
Everyone makes mistakes. Go Eagles! Lombardo has been great for the school both in the classroom teaching math and coaching football.

I would also like to add my congratulations to the Eagles for winning the 2021 state championship. Great job and well deserved !!

Imagine walking out of the last game of the 2009 St. Edward season — a 28-0 thrashing by St. Ignatius and — to end the year with a 4-6 overall record.

Now imagine someone telling you that the Eagles would not only win their first state championship the next season but also that they’d have five football banners by the end 2021.

Improbable and absurd.

I could argue two more if it wasn’t for some ridiculously talented Mentor offenses!

Improbable and absurd.

What’s even more amazing is that they still need 7 more to pass up St. Ignatius! All with one coach too.

It started with Gibbons. Building new facilities and Gibby coming in to restore winning and pride evened the gap with Ignatius and we came close twice. His way ran its course though and the Nedzwiecki years were just a continuation. Finotti brought in an updated approach and 21st century offense and had the program humming, two state titles. Lombo comes in and proves he can get the best out of any team, wins right away, wins again 3 years later, and now again.

We were in

Improbable and absurd.

We were in a dark place after nedzwicki took over , he set the program back . Coming from someone who was there and had 3 head coaches in 4 yrs.

finotti and his staff raised the bar in all aspects of the program. I can only imagine the what if’s if he stayed but am more then thrilled too with what Lombardo has done. It’s not outta the question that we could catch those wildcats in my lifetime now.

Improbable and absurd.

2019?

I would guess 2011, lost to Ignatius after a pick in the fourth, fumbled the snap the very next play. Had been up 17-3 at one point. Iggy ran the table after that.

2012, lost a classic to Mentor with Trubisky, was up 21 points in third and the Cardinals came back.

2013 another shootout loss to Mentor, great team but couldn’t stop them when we needed to.

2016, OT loss to Ignatius. Kramer breaks his leg after a 50 some yard run late in the game, had to put a sophomore Dzuro in, settled for a FG to send the game to OT and couldn’t pass in the extra session.

2019, loss to Mentor in OT with them going for 2 after their touchdown. Just a good roll of the dice by Triv and they made the play.

All of those teams were really talented and could have won it. 2016, perhaps not but were trending up and Kramer was playing his best in that game, hate to see a senior be lost to injury in such a key part of the game, and it was a pretty bad break.

I was at all those games sehs, it's tough to consistently win those types of games year in and year out. We certainly have talent in the program now and did back in all those years you mentioned. It certainly is nice to be in a position to compete with the best. I think our coaching staff is pretty darn good and feel they will always get the best out of our players.

I agree. It takes more than talent and consistency to win it all, especially in Ohio. Too many good programs. Ed's has a tremendous talent advantage in most games and their coaching staff puts them in positions to be consistent and successful. Sometimes there are dumb luck moments in games, or plays that just don't go your way. I think the spot we are in now as a program is that rarely are we ever just beaten soundly, it takes a generational type of team like Hoban last year or it is a dogfight of a game and that puts us in the mix every year. That's a phenomenal place to be as a program.

Improbable and absurd.

You mean like this crazy stuff?

Can we project a lineup for next season? Graduating seniors from the starting offense are: Ramos, Enovitch, Lavelle, Kennedy, Castros, Goodall, Miller, Delphia, and Manning. From the starting defense: Harvey, Oudeman, Freer-Brown, Ratcliff, Castelberry, Landingham, Howard, Riley, Rice and Sidari.

QB: Casey Bullock ('24)
RB: Marvin Bell ('23)
RB: Josh Gribble ('23)
OT: Ben Roebuck ('24)
OG: Braylon Smith ('23)
C: Ricky Wolverton ('23)
OG: Deontae Armstrong ('24) or Devontae Armstrong ('24)
OT: Deontae Armstrong ('24) or Devontae Armstrong ('24)
WR: Grady Lentz-Pieffer ('23)
WR: Kyan Mason ('24)
WR: Michael Bissler ('23) or Rashee McLaurin ('24)

DE: Michael Kilbane ('23)
DT: ?
DT: ?
DE: Troy Regovich ('24) or Antonio Bouldin ('24)
LB: Wyatt Gedeon ('23)
LB: Johny Slaper ('24)
CB: ?
CB: ?
S: Cam Drewery ('23)
S: Kyan Mason ('24)
S: Warren Bloodworth ('23)

It's always hard to determine how the positions will turn out for the next year. One thing for sure is the Eagles have lot's of talent coming back and a lot of talent in the program. Hopefully a good off season will have the Eagles challenging for the title again next year.

The Eagles have won the last five state final games in which they have competed. St. Edward is now tied with Moeller for second place for the most consecutive wins in Division I championship game appearances (not necessarily in successive years):
  • St. Ignatius: 7 (1988, 89, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95; five of those were in consecutive years)
  • Moeller: 5 (1975, 76, 77, 79, 80; first four wins were in AAA)
  • St. Edward: 5 (2010, 14, 15, 18, 21)

I love left tackle Joey Lavelle’s comments in the post-game conference. Here’s what he said about what Christian Ramos told his teammates just after the Eagles were stuffed four times at the one-yard line by the Springfield defense:

“We came off to the sideline and we were very upset. Christian came over and told us it was the first drive of the game. He said it would be silly of us to get our heads down and act like we weren’t in this game. Christian’s leadership is second to none. He’s been the best leader on this team.”

The Eagles responded with an 11-play, 72-yard touchdown drive on their next possession.

Accolades go to the "mighty mites" in the Eagles defensive backfield: seniors Hayden Rice (5'9 165 lbs), Dontez Howard (5'7 170 lbs), Carlton Landingham (5'7 145 lbs) and sophomore Kyan Mason (5'8 140 lbs). Their outstanding play was crucial to St. Edward’s defensive success this season. (And, as an added bonus, Landingham (3) and Mason (2) each had multiple kickoff returns for touchdowns.)

Accolades go to the "mighty mites" in the Eagles defensive backfield: seniors Hayden Rice (5'9 165 lbs), Dontez Howard (5'7 170 lbs), Carlton Landingham (5'7 145 lbs) and sophomore Kyan Mason (5'8 140 lbs). Their outstanding play was crucial to St. Edward’s defensive success this season. (And, as an added bonus, Landingham (3) and Mason (2) each had multiple kickoff returns for touchdowns.)
Concur! These kids were awesome! Over the last 6 games, the D played lights out. Congrats!

Probably the best depth in the secondary I can remember in quite some time. We've had teams with more high-end talent back there, but I don't ever recall a rotation of guys like this year that allowed us the creativity in terms of packages and looks to deal with any number of offensive schemes.

The Eagles’ defense allowed just three touchdowns and one field goal in the final three playoff games against teams with the top three Mr. Football finalists: Medina, 1 TD (winner Drew Allar), Upper Arlington, 1 FG (second runner-up Carson Gresock) and Springfield 2 TDs (runner-up Te’Sean Smoot).

First team: Ramos, J. Lavelle, Kilbane, Freer-Brown
Second team: None
Third team: Enovitch, Kennedy, Gedeon, Castleberry
Honorable Mention: B. Lavelle
Gedeon deserved Fist Team honors as well. I would have selected Harvey to Second or Third team...he had as much to do with that front four's success in the post season as any of the DTs or DEs.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
Gedeon deserved Fist Team honors as well. I would have selected Harvey to Second or Third team...he had as much to do with that front fours success in the post season as any of the DTs or DEs.

Go Eagles!
The Eagle D line shut down a lot of very good football teams from running the ball. Even when they decided to use only three D linemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.