2021 Southwestern Buckeye League

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think you have Oakwood and Eaton switched? I thought it was East/West? I don't really know anything though, just my impression.

I think you have Oakwood and Eaton switched? I thought it was East/West? I don't really know anything though, just my impression.
I think you're correct.

Not sure with only ten teams why they just wouldn't go one division and play 8 league games with 2 non-league games and rotate one team you don't play every year similar to what the GMC does. I'm pretty sure in the GMC whoever you don't play that year is scheduled as your 2nd scrimmage leading into the season. Winning 4 games to be "league" champs seems kind of pointless to me, but that's just my opinion

I’ll take bellbrook to win their side of the league and repeat as league champs . They do lose some big play makers and some senior linebackers but they have a ton of talent left and return majority of the trenches and most of all they return the reigning offensive league player of the year .
lebenski will fill in for Westbrock and the eagles will keep rolling
I don’t know what the OOC schedule looks like but I’ll say 9-1 or 8-2

Not sure about the other side but I’ll have to go with valley view to run that side , feel like they should for a few years

my 2 cents

I think you're correct.

Not sure with only ten teams why they just wouldn't go one division and play 8 league games with 2 non-league games and rotate one team you don't play every year similar to what the GMC does. I'm pretty sure in the GMC whoever you don't play that year is scheduled as your 2nd scrimmage leading into the season. Winning 4 games to be "league" champs seems kind of pointless to me, but that's just my opinion
Worst thing the league could do. More out of conference games are better

I’ll take bellbrook to win their side of the league and repeat as league champs . They do lose some big play makers and some senior linebackers but they have a ton of talent left and return majority of the trenches and most of all they return the reigning offensive league player of the year .
lebenski will fill in for Westbrock and the eagles will keep rolling
I don’t know what the OOC schedule looks like but I’ll say 9-1 or 8-2

Not sure about the other side but I’ll have to go with valley view to run that side , feel like they should for a few years

my 2 cents
Valley view Not playing Bellbrook and Franklin is going to hurt them for the playoffs

I think they will play them every year. Seems like the crossovers are going to be mostly league opponents.
This seems kind of unnecessary to split 10 teams.
10 team schedule would require 1 ooc team per school. Or you could try and fill that week 3 that so many struggle to fill. Seems pointless.

Valley View could have this schedule...
Clinton Massie, Tipp City, Edgewood, or Whomever
Franklin
Bellbrook
Oakwood
Monroe
Waynesville
Brookville
Eaton
Carlisle
Middletown Madison
That would get them in the playoffs every year.

Worst thing the league could do. More out of conference games are better
Why is that? With 12 teams in each region making the playoffs, beating each other won't matter. I guarantee AD's will be scheduling 2-3 crossover games a year like they did before Franklin and Monroe joined the league in the early 00's. Every team in the league will be playing 7-8 games against SWBL foes one way or the other. It will be almost impossible to fill a schedule without crossovers after week 3. Like I said, I think you do it how the GMC does where you rotate one team you have a bye against each year and you get two ooc games and then 8 league games. The GMC puts 5 or 6 teams in the playoffs each year doing that way with only 8 teams making it in each region.

Believe the set up is still 3 out of conference games and 3 crossovers determined by how you finished the previous year. Valley View will still play Franklin and Bellbrook yearly is my guess. But would love to see Massie, Wilmington, Ross, Edgewood, Talawanda and one more added to the mix to balance the league.

Some teams look like they could be unhappy with this current setup. I hope that doesn’t make more teams want to leave. I’ve said this before, the SWBL is a solid league and I would hate to see it dissolve because a couple schools struggle. All the more reason to invite Clinton-Massie and others

Some teams look like they could be unhappy with this current setup. I hope that doesn’t make more teams want to leave. I’ve said this before, the SWBL is a solid league and I would hate to see it dissolve because a couple schools struggle. All the more reason to invite Clinton-Massie and others
agree. Waynesville, Carlisle and Madison will probably not be excited with the current league, especially WV being in with the 3 largest schools. Oakwood wasn't done any favors either with this setup. the league needs 2 more (or 2 fewer) schools minimum.

agree. Waynesville, Carlisle and Madison will probably not be excited with the current league, especially WV being in with the 3 largest schools. Oakwood wasn't done any favors either with this setup. the league needs 2 more (or 2 fewer) schools minimum.
While I agree they will be unhappy, I just don't know where they would go. The only remotely viable option for Carlisle and Madison would be the MVC and I don't think that would be a great fit either. Waynesville could join the league that Massie currently plays in, but overall that league is weaker than the SWBL with varying sizes of schools similar to what the SWBL has. I think the SWBL needs to definitely look at expanding, but again with 12 teams in each region qualifying for the postseason you might see a 4-6 Madison team or a 5-5 Waynesville team sneaking into the playoffs if they can pull an upset or two against the right team. Fenwick use to do it in the 90's playing in the MML as a smaller school when only 4 teams qualified for the playoffs.

I agree there is nowhere for them to go.....right now. Having unhappy schools is bad though. The league is in this position because Preble and Dixie were unhappy and the league ignored that for too long.

I believe Oakwood is the 4th largest school in the SWBL, so they go with the three biggest in Bellbrook, Franklin, and Monroe. Waynesville is who I think will be upset they are with a much larger group, A perfect world Valley View flips with Waynesville and you have it balanced in regard to enrollment figures.

I know this is a football site, but as you know these decisions are made by keeping in mind, size of school, geography and all the other sports too. Personally, I don't see a need for two divisions. 10 is a nice number for a league. In every league I can think of, there are bigger teams, smaller teams, stronger teams, weaker teams.... It's as solid of a league in the Dayton area as any, from a competitive perspective for all sports. Sure we could add a team or two for one sport and make it better, but I'm sure it wouldn't improve all sports for the league. As school systems grow and shrink, I can see making adjustments here and there, but for now 10 is good.

Not sure enrollment is going to make that much of a difference for most of the current SWBL. Carlisle and WV are growing communities. Things change quickly as we saw with MU and Monroe flipping divisions.
I feel this is temporary and eventually you'll see a couple of schools apply to join. CM and Wilmington would be good choices.

I agree there is nowhere for them to go.....right now. Having unhappy schools is bad though. The league is in this position because Preble and Dixie were unhappy and the league ignored that for too long.
My dream scenario, which is just my personal preference and not very realistic... would be to bring Carlisle and Madison into the new WOAC conference and have 2 divisions there. A division of TVS, TCN, Dixie, Preble Shawnee, National Trail, Carlisle and Madison could work.

With that being said, I am kind of a fan of the new 10 team SWBL league. I know it's not perfect, but with new division splits I do think it makes some sense to me. I think for schools like Madison and Carlisle, if your crossover games can always be Waynesville and Oakwood, the schedule won't be too bad. I do think Valley View will have their way for a while in the "Western" division. The other 4 teams could be competitive with one another.

add clinton massie and wilmington and this league would be golden.

or else, risk losing Franklin/Bellbrook to the MVL or Carlisle/Madison to the MVC.

My opinion has been that the SWBL needs a couple of seasons in it's current format to see how things look. At that point, any new teams or divisional changes would be made based on experience rather than being a rushed judgement. I think crossover games allow 7 total SWBL games. The 3 OOC games isn't bad at all. OOC games allow more potential computer points for the league overall if the OOC win loss record is favorable.

My opinion has been that the SWBL needs a couple of seasons in it's current format to see how things look. At that point, any new teams or divisional changes would be made based on experience rather than being a rushed judgement. I think crossover games allow 7 total SWBL games. The 3 OOC games isn't bad at all. OOC games allow more potential computer points for the league overall if the OOC win loss record is favorable.
give it two years and see how the crossovers play out. if the small schools get tired of lopsided scores then i could see some team be added. if not, we’ll then tat means it’s a competitive league.

Just one man's opinion here...I don't think the small schools are the problem with this league.
I think VV, Eaton, Oakwood, Monroe, Brookville, Carlisle, Madison, WV would be a good league (as far as competitiveness with each other in most sports).

Just one man's opinion here...I don't think the small schools are the problem with this league.
I think VV, Eaton, Oakwood, Monroe, Brookville, Carlisle, Madison, WV would be a good league (as far as competitiveness with each other in most sports).
I agree from a competitive standpoint, but Monroe is DIII in football (DII in most other sports and only a few girls away from DI in a couple of girls sports) and growing while the rest of those schools you listed are DIV and DV and their communities are pretty stagnant from a residential growth standpoint. I don't see Monroe as a good fit size-wise in the next several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.