2021 Northern Lakes League

Equally odd was the D. Nothing against the small corner but at some point physics takes over and 6'2 vs 5'4 wins (he was in great position). No creativity on blitzes at end of game? Ends rush too far upfield, Lichtenberg slides up underneath and escapes pocket and makes a play. Not to mention SJ was playing with a kid at RB who had no clue as Blake had to tell him where to line up and who to block on each play. SJ won that game with a non existent run game, a smaller subpar line playing against kids pinning their ears back because they know it is pass every play, coupled with some average WRs and one special QB. Amazing.
We had a kid who starts at WR, but also comes in and plays CB in certain situations (and would've been in during this) who was quarantined due to contract tracing. He's 6'3 and would've helped tremendously. Oh well. Up 20-14 they ran the QB, threw a bootleg pass to the TE for 8 yards and then ran the QB again on 3rd and 4. Didn't get the first down. QB had a really good game running but how do you not put the ball in Walendzak's hands at least once? Mind-blowing. They were stacking the box with 8 and basically blitzing and the coaching staff didn't adjust at all. How about a screen pass? After last week you'd think that Walendzak would get a pass thrown his way. Not one. Pburg passing game is atrocious. If they could figure that out they would literally be unstoppable. Probably ran for around 300 again, but maybe 50 yards passing.

Give SJJ credit. They made several plays when it was 4th and long and the game was on the line. It was unreal. On one of the 4th down plays we had a defender right there and he just missed knocking the ball down. Still don't know how he missed it. Would've ended the game. Props to SJJ and Pburg needs the Heimlich after choking the game away.

Yeah, the definitely was an odd set of plays to select when all you really need is probably 20 yards. You're going to want to find addresses when you see the replay of that "PI" on BCSN...I'm sorry man.
Watched it when I got home. Total joke. The Pburg DB was "touching" him, but didn't impede him at all. Also had his head turned around looking for the ball and knocked it away. Great defensive play. That ref must be on the SJJ payroll.

4-18 non-conference with half the wins vs. the city league? Woof... AW and Perrysburg had a couple that slipped away, but still...

Watched it when I got home. Total joke. The Pburg DB was "touching" him, but didn't impede him at all. Also had his head turned around looking for the ball and knocked it away. Great defensive play. That ref must be on the SJJ payroll.
Not to mention it was all due to a 4 yard underthrow...can't blame the DB for being in good position when a QB can't get the ball close to his receiver.

Maumee v BG will be a dogfight.

Napoleon, Southview, and Springfield ain't far behind. Geesh.
For those who like subjecting themselves to torture, Week 9 in BG and Week 10 in Napoleon.

Also, separating Northview from those other 3 isn't smart. They are just as awful...they were only beating Bowsher 15-0 mid way through the 3rd quarter having had EVERY DRIVE OF THE GAME start inside of Bowsher's 40 yard line. Not to mention, Clay, a team that was just mollywhopped by AW beat them at their place after losing the TO battle 6-1 (including three lost TOs inside their own 15 yard line).

The top 2 teams in this league are ok...the bottom 6 are HORRRRIBLLLLEEEEEEE. Springfield could go their entire OOC not scoring a single point and end up 5-4 because of how terrible the bottom 6 are. There are going to be some truly awful games throughout the year in NLL stadiums.

For those who like subjecting themselves to torture, Week 9 in BG and Week 10 in Napoleon.

Also, separating Northview from those other 3 isn't smart. They are just as awful...they were only beating Bowsher 15-0 mid way through the 3rd quarter having had EVERY DRIVE OF THE GAME start inside of Bowsher's 40 yard line. Not to mention, Clay, a team that was just mollywhopped by AW beat them at their place after losing the TO battle 6-1 (including three lost TOs inside their own 15 yard line).

The top 2 teams in this league are ok...the bottom 6 are HORRRRIBLLLLEEEEEEE. Springfield could go their entire OOC not scoring a single point and end up 5-4 because of how terrible the bottom 6 are. There are going to be some truly awful games throughout the year in NLL stadiums.

None of which you will be forced to watch unless you're working them and all of which will serve their purpose. ? You guys get enjoyment out of some very shallow things. JMHO That those schools are fielding teams and underpayed adults are trying to help kids should be celebrated. Those "awful" games I suspect will be competitive. If you can't enjoy lesser skill competing against lesser skill you must have been a real joy to have around as your kids grew up.

Perspective and now getting off the high horse.

None of which you will be forced to watch unless you're working them and all of which will serve their purpose. ? You guys get enjoyment out of some very shallow things. JMHO That those schools are fielding teams and underpayed adults are trying to help kids should be celebrated. Those "awful" games I suspect will be competitive. If you can't enjoy lesser skill competing against lesser skill you must have been a real joy to have around as your kids grew up.

Perspective and now getting off the high horse.
I keep cautioning myself as well but it is tough. I just cannot understand how in 10 or even 5 years ago the talent pool has dropped like it has. It is incredible to be honest.

I have been around for some time now and am fairly knowledgeable about the history of NWOhio football and I do not remember a year where DI and DII was this bad.

Last edited:
I watch loyaly every year a team not expected to compete for state championships. I see others in the stands doing the same, for decades. But I never see the kids quit. Until the last play they are trying to make plays. A team losing can be an amazing thing to watch. A team losing badly and still fighting can be an inspiring thing to watch.

Basketball is a good example of the local production cycle. Maybe we're seeing parents of superior eras', kids coming to maturity and starting the next great era. Maybe the same is happening in football no doubt affected by the new norm. Vouchers make recruiting and year-long tryouts easier. "Academies" can even draw top talent across country. And maybe even a newer set of coaches?

Can you imagine the talent that has gone through Rogers recently being in the 70s or early 90s era with an experienced coach staff? That would be Buchtel (who also can't hold theirs) and SVSM level talent or higher.

Other than those things, what could be happening here that isn't happening at every other regular public and private school that is holding the standard over the years? Our population levels just don't support that evenly high standard but even the St Ed of the state cycle.

Where are the constants? The MAC which because they are lower division fairly non-mobile working class, doesn't seem to eat its own. S-ville, a fairly isolated community with little to draw away talent from a very supportive community. Now get the horse working.

Old coaches were blue collar parents or teachers. Fairly accurate? Those jobs have hit the bricks. Where are the new coaches coming from in the lower and high school age groups? Let's celebrate our own. Call a bad playcall a bad playcall but give credit to those keeping kids in a game that has created the movers and shakers.

Last edited:
I watch loyaly every year a team not expected to compete for state championships. I see others in the stands doing the same, for decades. But I never see the kids quit. Until the last play they are trying to make plays. A team losing can be an amazing thing to watch. A team losing badly and still fighting can be an inspiring thing to watch.

Basketball is a good example of the local production cycle. Maybe we're seeing parents of superior eras', kids coming to maturity and starting the next great era. Maybe the same is happening in football no doubt affected by the new norm. Vouchers make recruiting and year-long tryouts easier. "Academies" can even draw top talent across country. And maybe even a newer set of coaches?

Can you imagine the talent that has gone through Rogers recently being in the 70s or early 90s era with an experienced coach staff? That would be Buchtel (who also can't hold theirs) and SVSM level talent or higher.

Other than those things, what could be happening here that isn't happening at every other regular public and private school that is holding the standard over the years? Our population levels just don't support that evenly high standard but even the St Ed of the state cycle.

Where are the constants? The MAC which because they are lower division fairly non-mobile working class, doesn't seem to eat its own. S-ville, a fairly isolated community with little to draw away talent from a very supportive community. Now get the horse working.

Old coaches were blue collar parents or teachers. Fairly accurate? Those jobs have hit the bricks. Where are the new coaches coming from in the lower and high school age groups? Let's celebrate our own. Call a bad playcall a bad playcall but give credit to those keeping kids in a game that has created the movers and shakers.
I get all of that.

I can still be amazed at the drop in such a relative short time.

I think the area is stale again. We are recycling coaches. Perrysburg and Findlay both had an opportunity IMO and they failed.

Had a buddy at the game at 1pm today and he made it seem like Springfield gave Whitmer a game through 3 quarters...looks like it got away from them in the 4th, but it was 21-16 with a few minutes left in the 3rd. Sounds like a blocked punt just before half that ended up as a TD for Whitmer might have taken some wind out of the sails and a couple of unfortunate PIs on 3rd and longs gave Whitmer some drive extensions to get up 35-16 at the end of the 3rd. Surprising performance, even if the 2s on Whitmer beat the 2s on Springfield 14-0 in the 4th...makes me think they could nip some people if things get tightened up, and they have to be up in the "fight for 3rd" conversation.

Jerome barely getting by 0-3 Shaker Hts is probably telling. The three losses weren't against bad teams but not great teams nor were the other two close. Central's first half against St Ed is starting to look really nice though. I suspect they will dominate anyone that can't absorb their intial DL rush and lose or be close against anyone that can and has moderate athletes that can play the game. Central players have a big learning curve ahead.

Jerome barely getting by 0-3 Shaker Hts is probably telling. The three losses weren't against bad teams but not great teams nor were the other two close. Central's first half against St Ed is starting to look really nice though. I suspect they will dominate anyone that can't absorb their intial DL rush and lose or be close against anyone that can and has moderate athletes that can play the game. Central players have a big learning curve ahead.
Week #4 will be very interesting now that Findlay has gone to the Freshman. It was really surprising (to me at least) that they started Roth. I know he is a Senior and a 3 yr starter, but he was never a great throwing QB. Putting him at WR with Ireland was always the smart move, especially if the frosh was everything he's been hyped up to be. Granted, playing BG is a little different than TCC.

Week #4 will be very interesting now that Findlay has gone to the Freshman. It was really surprising (to me at least) that they started Roth. I know he is a Senior and a 3 yr starter, but he was never a great throwing QB. Putting him at WR with Ireland was always the smart move, especially if the frosh was everything he's been hyped up to be. Granted, playing BG is a little different than TCC.
If history has any indication, if there is one high school who knows how to bungle the QB depth chart to not allow the best player to play, it's Findlay

Well, NLL plays starts this week.

Perrysburg (1-2) @ Bowling Green (0-3)......Perrysburg in a laugher
Anthony Wayne (1-2) hosts Maumee (0-3).....AW in a laugher
Southview (1-2) @ Springfield (0-2).....Southview by 14
Northview (1-2) hosts Napoleon (0-3).....Northview by 10

Not a team in the NLL with a winning record after 3 weeks.

The Pburg and AW games will both be 40+ point wins. Maumee and BG are the 2 worst teams in the NLL, with Springfield a close 2nd.

Well, NLL plays starts this week.

Perrysburg (1-2) @ Bowling Green (0-3)......Perrysburg in a laugher
Anthony Wayne (1-2) hosts Maumee (0-3).....AW in a laugher
Southview (1-2) @ Springfield (0-2).....Southview by 14
Northview (1-2) hosts Napoleon (0-3).....Northview by 10

Not a team in the NLL with a winning record after 3 weeks.

The Pburg and AW games will both be 40+ point wins. Maumee and BG are the 2 worst teams in the NLL, with Springfield a close 2nd.
I think you're either not giving Springfield enough credit or giving WAYYYYY too much credit to Northview and Napoleon.

Perrysburg by however much they want
Anthony Wayne by however much they want
Springfield by 10
Northview by 7

I think you're either not giving Springfield enough credit or giving WAYYYYY too much credit to Northview and Napoleon.

Springfield by 10
Northview by 7
SV almost beat a now 3-0 Brush team on the road. They look like the 3rd best team in the NLL right now.

Springfield by 10
Northview by 7
I know they seemed to put up a decent fight against Whitmer, but I also saw the film of the scrimmage vs. SJJ and the fact that they lost 49-0 to Sandusky.

I just think SV and NV are better. Granted, SV did lose 56-0 to a pretty good Tiffin Columbian team in one half. And NV lost 41-0 to an average/good Hilliard Bradley team.

Either way, pretty much everyone after PB and AW are crap in the NLL this year.

On the radio Cliff Hite thought it was a good idea.

He should know.

Perrysburg (1-2) @ Bowling Green (0-3)......Perrysburg 55(+) - 0
Anthony Wayne (1-2) hosts Maumee (0-3).....AW 55(+) - 0
Southview (1-2) @ Springfield (0-2).....Southview 21-14
Northview (1-2) hosts Napoleon (0-3).....Northview 24-7

NLL is as bad as I’ve ever seen it. On the heels of a major offseason expansion, the conference looks flat out incompetent. Hope they have the lube ready for that yearly match vs Whitmer

I'd say the "tiers" are pretty much solidified at this point this year

1. Perrysburg
2. Anthony Wayne

3. Northview
4. Southview
5. Springfield

6. Napoleon
7. Bowling Green
8. Maumee

SV has Perrysburg and AW up the next two weeks while NV should win their next three games as it is the easier part of their schedule. SV has a puncher’s chance against both AW and P-Burg, in my opinion.

SV has Perrysburg and AW up the next two weeks while NV should win their next three games as it is the easier part of their schedule. SV has a puncher’s chance against both AW and P-Burg, in my opinion.

SV was the worse of the two teams on the field this paat Friday, outgained by 70 yards with SHS's most explosive offensive weapon out after the opening kickoff, fewer first downs, more penalties, worse special teams, and benefitted from an unforced turnover and a blown coverage to put them up to 18, and some really odd coaching decisions throughout for Springfield. Nothing about that team I Saw on Friday makes me think they have any chance. I don't know what they're punching, but it ain't AW or Perrysburg.

I think NV is the best of that tier, but I wouldn't be shocked if they all end up 1-1 against each other, because none of them are good teams. Having seen BG, Maumee, Springfield, Northview, and Southview in person so far this year...there is no way the first two beat the last three.

Last edited:
SV was the worse of the two teams on the field this paat Friday, outgained by 70 yards with SHS's most explosive offensive weapon out after the opening kickoff, fewer first downs, more penalties, worse special teams, and benefitted from an unforced turnover and a blown coverage to put them up to 18, and some really odd coaching decisions throughout for Springfield. Nothing about that team I Saw on Friday makes me think they have any chance. I don't know what they're punching, but it ain't AW or Perrysburg.

I think NV is the best of that tier, but I wouldn't be shocked if they all end up 1-1 against each other, because none of them are good teams. Having seen BG, Maumee, Springfield, Northview, and Southview in person so far this year...there is no way the first two beat the last three.
Who are you taking in the bg v maumee game? The game is at BG, so that is worth at least 4 points.