2021 Miami Valley League

I know that is the case for the small private I cheer for Troy Christian. No chance they can risk an injury in practice with major depth issues.

I am not sure the no tackle tackle drills are working. Tacking is a very skilled activity, and kids just do not do it the right away any more. If you even watch the higher levels and even pros, tacking technique is consistency awful, especially at LB and SS who really should be experts at it. Why do people not wrap up any more? Why is everything a lunge or a trip attempt? So much dangerous spearing because its not practiced enough. I really think it is because its hard to tackle in practice anymore due to many factors. One area that is not impacted it seems is blocking, as you can do a lot more technique with a pad in run/pass block sets than trying to tackle a moving target. I do not know a solution to this.
i think there’s a right way to teach tackling in practice while preventing injuries

1. both the runner and the tackler keep their heads up

2. wrap and run the feet

3. never take anyone to the ground

i think there’s a right way to teach tackling in practice while preventing injuries

1. both the runner and the tackler keep their heads up

2. wrap and run the feet

3. never take anyone to the ground

Do you see the lack of 1 and 2 a lot in todays game like I do?

absolutely. my point is it can be taught right without killing eachother in practice. many just fail to do so. and it starts at the pee wee lev

I played at VB in the 80's and we went live on Tuesday and Wednesday pretty hard. I do not think that anyone does that anymore. I do not think its wrong. In college, in the early 90's it seemed we did not hit as much as in high school, but defintly have very loud sessions. (Oklahoma etc).

I do not think any of this is bad with the lack of hitting. Coaches just need like you mentioned to have a real concerted effort to drill the tacking fundamentals consistently. Its very similar to other sports where a fundamental is drilled contantly (Shooting form, swing), same type of muscle memory to me. But a lot of coaches do not spend time on it.

Any thoughts on my coaches do not treat tacking as a core fundamental that needs to be drilled daily? Oline guys drill their steps constantly, not sure why tacking is not thought of that way.

For me making a tackle in the open field was the hardest thing to do on the field.

I played at VB in the 80's and we went live on Tuesday and Wednesday pretty hard. I do not think that anyone does that anymore. I do not think its wrong. In college, in the early 90's it seemed we did not hit as much as in high school, but defintly have very loud sessions. (Oklahoma etc).

I do not think any of this is bad with the lack of hitting. Coaches just need like you mentioned to have a real concerted effort to drill the tacking fundamentals consistently. Its very similar to other sports where a fundamental is drilled contantly (Shooting form, swing), same type of muscle memory to me. But a lot of coaches do not spend time on it.

Any thoughts on my coaches do not treat tacking as a core fundamental that needs to be drilled daily? Oline guys drill their steps constantly, not sure why tacking is not thought of that way.

For me making a tackle in the open field was the hardest thing to do on the field.
best thing you can teach for open field tackling is pursuing/tracking the hip

Hmmm... Interesting. I wonder what impact the new staff will have on the kids. Seems as though the old staff lost the kids, and lost them early. Hopefully the new staff can turn things around. I am wondering who Cates brought with him and who he retained from the old regime.
From what I understand the staff is the same as it was under Puckett. Wright is gone and is now at Anna and Cates brought Sutherland with him but everyone else looks to still be around. At least in the photos I’ve seen so far.

Last edited:
The types of kids that Butler and Tipp are getting to come out for football are very similar, so what’s the difference? Does it really come down to coaching, culture, or the culture of the town?
Culture, coaching and community. Those are the three things that I believe fuel successful programs. The problem with the Vandalia community is that they only come out when the chips are up. Football team is trying to raise $5,000 for season expenses and growth and can’t even get that mark met. Pretty sad if you ask me. Places like Tipp the community and private donors are footing the bill for the new football improvements. That is community!

Charlie built a culture at Tipp and was a great coach. Good as he is Matt might even be better when it’s all said and done. He’s a motivator and won’t ever break a kid down without coming back by to build him up. He just had that “it” factor and it follows him where he goes.

I hope that Cates can bring the coaching and culture. Heard nothing but great things about him and I hope he knocks it out of the park.

If he can regularly have this team at 6-4/7-3 I’ll be the first to donate for the Cates statue in the south end zone.

Culture, coaching and community. Those are the three things that I believe fuel successful programs. The problem with the Vandalia community is that they only come out when the chips are up. Football team is trying to raise $5,000 for season expenses and growth and can’t even get that mark met. Pretty sad if you ask me. Places like Tipp the community and private donors are footing the bill for the new football improvements. That is community!

Charlie built a culture at Tipp and was a great coach. Good as he is Matt might even be better when it’s all said and done. He’s a motivator and won’t ever break a kid down without coming back by to build him up. He just had that “it” factor and it follows him where he goes.

I hope that Cates can bring the coaching and culture. Heard nothing but great things about him and I hope he knocks it out of the park.

If he can regularly have this team at 6-4/7-3 I’ll be the first to donate for the Cates statue in the south end zone.
The players need to be there. 4-6 this year would be amazing.

From what I understand the staff is the same as it was under Puckett. Wright is gone and is now at Anna and Cates brought Sutherland with him but everyone else looks to still be around. At least in the photos I’ve seen so far.
Again you are clueless. Several new coaches. Some from Covington some came back and also some old Butler coaches.

Well now that we have celebrated Independence Day the next holiday will be the open of football season. I will start visiting Yappi more often, I have popped in and read some post but just left without posting. I look forward to getting back to a football season that is normal again, and like always I wish each team in the MVL the best of luck this year (yes even that other team) and hopefully you all get through the season with very limited injury's!

Both that needed to go are gone.
Based on what I am hearing through the community he only retained a couple, hired a couple of new guys and brought in the rest from Covington. We will not know until we see them in person or it is posted somewhere for the public to view. Cates knows what he is doing and who ever he brought with him onto staff is going to help win ballgames.

We're a hair away from this thread being shut down. Let's act like adults. This is a high school game. Calling each other out is immediate banning. Consider yourselves lucky. Next time you're gone for good.

Butler needs to hit .500 and sneak into the playoffs with the new format. Doing that will help build buzz around the school and the community.
Agree. That would be an early win for the fringe players and those upcoming classes. Stability will be key here and has been lacking for some time. Cates sounds like the right guy without a doubt. Now we just need to see kids put in the work and commitment. That along with numbers increasing will be key. The facilities are there and the coaching is there.

Agree. That would be an early win for the fringe players and those upcoming classes. Stability will be key here and has been lacking for some time. Cates sounds like the right guy without a doubt. Now we just need to see kids put in the work and commitment. That along with numbers increasing will be key. The facilities are there and the coaching is there.
Winning will be what changes everything at Butler. If they can put together one good season it will get the players and community to buy in. I think that has been the missing part over the last few years is the "buy in" aspect. But when you lose that is what happens.

Winning will be what changes everything at Butler. If they can put together one good season it will get the players and community to buy in. I think that has been the missing part over the last few years is the "buy in" aspect. But when you lose that is what happens.
Honestly thought Puckett coming in year one and taking Vandalia to the playoffs would catapult he and his staff into a lot of success. They darn near won that game against Badin too but just fell short. Wish Cates the best and hope he can do what nobody else has been able to do. Win and establish a program.

How is Tipp looking?
They have a good core, overall numbers have been up, and they will have a strong line on both sides. Plus Griffin Caldwell should be a top back in the conference, QB will be a question mark until they actually play the games IMO. As always Tipp will play hard and fairly disciplined. Cayd Everhart may be the top returning linebacker in the conference

Okay folks... August 2nd is when the fun begins! How is each MVL team looking in their camps and 7 on 7's? Anyone have a prediction on the league final standings?

I think Troy is still a year away from being a true contender, but Nick Kawecki is going to go off this year. He’s one to watch. Will only be a Jr
Keep an eye on QB Josh Mayfield, LB Evan Jones and LB/DE JJ McCoy and lineman named King.whotransferred from Troy Christian.

Butler looks better but not going to win the league at all. Offense is better suited to kids. QB is back and most of receivers so 7 on 7 looks decent. Lines are going to be a problem again. Important thing is kids are having fun again and not being yelled at all the time and cussed at.

Okay folks... August 2nd is when the fun begins! How is each MVL team looking in their camps and 7 on 7's? Anyone have a prediction on the league final standings?
It appears to be Super Bowl or bust for Stebbins, they are apparently loaded. People seem to be high in Piqua this year for a solid season. Tipp is going to be good from what I’m hearing. I haven’t heard much about Sidney and Troy this off season. I heard that WC’s RB is a stud, so let’s see if they can get something going down there. Also, heard their QB transferred out. Vandalia is full of positive vibes and appears to happy to have washed the taste of Puckett out. I’m not sure if they have a line, but they do have some skill guys. Now just don’t throw 20+ ints. People are quite on Xenia, but they should have some players to go with that new coach. I’ve heard people say that Fairborn is going to come back down to their normal year and struggle for .500% , hope that’s not the case for the new coach. They need some positive things in sports. Greenville still has a team and will plan on participating.