2021 Miami Valley League

What makes you think Tipp has the makings of a potential powerhouse? things haven’t really changed in Tipp, athlete wise, Tipp still hasn’t seen a high major or even MAC level kid come through besides Ben Sauls and he’s a kicker. Tipp is growing in population with all the new developments but the board of education is in shambles right now.
the BOE situation is unfortunate right now. i’d expect better from Tipp. but it happens. Tipp has a top notch coaching staff, and they run a great program. Sometimes it’s not about developing talent, but what you do with it. Tipp also seems to have the community support needed. Tipp absolutely has the potential to be on the level of Piqua and Troy, year in year out

I agree with ghs to a point. Tipp has a great coaching staff and they've developed a great program. But Tipp still has a great baseball and basketball program that many of these kids take more serious. Milton, football is king and has been for decades. Not surprising we have a recent grad in the NFL. Tipp has always been good at many sports and will continue that way.

I agree with ghs to a point. Tipp has a great coaching staff and they've developed a great program. But Tipp still has a great baseball and basketball program that many of these kids take more serious. Milton, football is king and has been for decades. Not surprising we have a recent grad in the NFL. Tipp has always been good at many sports and will continue that way.
you’re right about other sports. but it also goes to show there are a ton of athletes on that building. big of other sports at Tipp can be that successful, no reason football cant

Do you think the struggles over the last couple of years is due to talent, or due to coaching? I would not be surprised seeing Butler go 6-4 this year. Last year they had talent and this year they hired a winning head coach with a proven track record.
I think their struggles we’re probably mostly due to talent and depth. They’re OL and DL were really small. I don’t know much about the staff. Some might have been ok and some might have been a group of clowns? IDK. It sounds like they didn’t work well with others. I’ve literally not heard one person say anything positive about any of them. You’d think someone would have something nice to say about one of them at some point.

Hmmm... Interesting. I wonder what impact the new staff will have on the kids. Seems as though the old staff lost the kids, and lost them early. Hopefully the new staff can turn things around. I am wondering who Cates brought with him and who he retained from the old regime.

Hmmm... Interesting. I wonder what impact the new staff will have on the kids. Seems as though the old staff lost the kids, and lost them early. Hopefully the new staff can turn things around. I am wondering who Cates brought with him and who he retained from the old regime.
A new and fresh start will probably help everyone connected to the program. I’ll ask some clients coming through the chairs over the next couple of weeks. Statically speaking, he will likely need several of the old staff to fill spots. The old coach probably had a good message to the kids, but how you deliver that message is just as important. Hopefully, the new staff will figure that out and have some success. I would think, they’ll get feedback from kids and administration on the previous situation to help with the process of interviewing. Retain the good ones and fire the others or “restructure” them to the Jr. High program. I think Puckett was the DC? I’m assuming they would not retain the OC, they were statically awful last year. (actually I think they were bad on both sides of the ball) I cut the hair of a player’s parent. He said the kids said the former OC was really arrogant and awkward. They need a good OL coach. Hopefully, the new staff can connect.

A new and fresh start will probably help everyone connected to the program. I’ll ask some clients coming through the chairs over the next couple of weeks. Statically speaking, he will likely need several of the old staff to fill spots. The old coach probably had a good message to the kids, but how you deliver that message is just as important. Hopefully, the new staff will figure that out and have some success. I would think, they’ll get feedback from kids and administration on the previous situation to help with the process of interviewing. Retain the good ones and fire the others or “restructure” them to the Jr. High program. I think Puckett was the DC? I’m assuming they would not retain the OC, they were statically awful last year. (actually I think they were bad on both sides of the ball) I cut the hair of a player’s parent. He said the kids said the former OC was really arrogant and awkward. They need a good OL coach. Hopefully, the new staff can connect.
It sounds more and more like the old staff was not liked by the players nor the parents. Puckett seems to have came from Centerville and try to spread that culture in Vandalia. That clearly was never going to work. Hopefully Cates hired a solid staff and did not keep too many from the old regime. This will be a big building year for the Aviators. If the new staff can come in and change the culture and keep kids from quitting, Butler will be successful again.

Remember during the season when I said it was bad and the coach was making things worse. Was told on here it was the kids and not the coach. Where those idiots at now! Everyone is now saying same as me.

Remember during the season when I said it was bad and the coach was making things worse. Was told on here it was the kids and not the coach. Where those idiots at now! Everyone is now saying same as me.
Yes you are right. But do not get me wrong.... Some of this is on the kids as well. You can not blame a coach for anything and everything. It starts with coaching and trickles down with the kids and how they respond. Butler was in several games last year where they could have pulled a couple win out, but did not. The ball could have bounced another way, in Butler wins two or three of those games. Ultimately it is on the coach as you said but the kids also get some blame.

Yes you are right. But do not get me wrong.... Some of this is on the kids as well. You can not blame a coach for anything and everything. It starts with coaching and trickles down with the kids and how they respond. Butler was in several games last year where they could have pulled a couple win out, but did not. The ball could have bounced another way, in Butler wins two or three of those games. Ultimately it is on the coach as you said but the kids also get some blame.
Kids have to play better sure. Who is in charge of making that happen? There wasnt much talent I agree. They didnt have size. So whose idea was it to throw the ball and keep throwing after all those interceptions.

Ultimately when you drive off all the talent and prevent it from playing football its on coach. Dont blame the kids for not been talented. If you only knew the stories the kids told.

Rumor has it, they were going to switch to some kind of running offense. Triple option?? Now that that is out the window, what is the new coach at Butler going to run? Anyone know?

Also, there are some other coaches in the league that don’t seem to be getting talked about. Interested to see how the new Xenia coach does. He has a pretty good background from CJ. And then the new coach at Fairborn might have his hands full, but it will be interesting to see how that turns out. Does anyone have any news from those camps?

heard the QB from WC transferred to Trotwood? wonder why he would transfer in a year where WC will actually have a lot of talent?

Kids have to play better sure. Who is in charge of making that happen? There wasnt much talent I agree. They didnt have size. So whose idea was it to throw the ball and keep throwing after all those interceptions.

Ultimately when you drive off all the talent and prevent it from playing football its on coach. Dont blame the kids for not been talented. If you only knew the stories the kids told.
No matter what, a two win record for a team like Butler is unacceptable. The MVL will be much better if Butler is competitive year in and year out. There is no excuse for them not to be with how successul the wrestling and baseball programs are.

No matter what, a two win record for a team like Butler is unacceptable. The MVL will be much better if Butler is competitive year in and year out. There is no excuse for them not to be with how successul the wrestling and baseball programs are.
The types of kids that Butler and Tipp are getting to come out for football are very similar, so what’s the difference? Does it really come down to coaching, culture, or the culture of the town?

The types of kids that Butler and Tipp are getting to come out for football are very similar, so what’s the difference? Does it really come down to coaching, culture, or the culture of the town?
You my friend have a very value point! Tipp kids and Butler kids are very similar. I think it is all of the above to be honest. Butler year in and year out looks like they have the kids to compete, but they never do. Will the new regime change the culture of the program and fuel the culture of the town? Once upon a time, Vandalia was booming for football. In those early 2000's, the town was shut down and you could not find a seat at the games. The Northmont vs Butler game was one of the most talked about games in the area every year. I had a neighbor bring up a good point. Butler dropped off significantly after the re-alignment of the GWOC and their ultimate departure from the conference. What caused this drop off can be pointed to many different things, but I think you nailed a good portion of it.

You my friend have a very value point! Tipp kids and Butler kids are very similar. I think it is all of the above to be honest. Butler year in and year out looks like they have the kids to compete, but they never do. Will the new regime change the culture of the program and fuel the culture of the town? Once upon a time, Vandalia was booming for football. In those early 2000's, the town was shut down and you could not find a seat at the games. The Northmont vs Butler game was one of the most talked about games in the area every year. I had a neighbor bring up a good point. Butler dropped off significantly after the re-alignment of the GWOC and their ultimate departure from the conference. What caused this drop off can be pointed to many different things, but I think you nailed a good portion of it.
With the expanded playoffs, I think Vandalia would have a chance to get in if they can go 500. There’s not a lot of D3 teams in that region to begin with. What teams on paper do you think they can beat this season? Greenville, WC, Fairborn are very possible. Just need 2 more? Not sure who their non conference opponent is?

How is Sidney going to be this year? I hear that they have a stud RB. I heard last night that last year they had coaches in full pads taking reps trying to get the kids ready. Is this allowed?

They (Sidney) will play Troy in a Thursday night game this year.
I heard Sidney has a stud freshman that plays multiple positions. Interested to see if he plays varsity? I like Thursday night games. It gives a little HS excitement to talk about on Friday. Probably lose viewers to the NFL games, but they start later.

I’m not sure about Tipp, they surprised me last year, with a pretty good senior class. I don’t know what Tipp is going to do at QB, it may be Gavin Garlitz who was an HM All-MVL player last year on defense, but both Burgbacher and Shultz’s sons will be sophomores and both are QBs so we will see. Tipp hasn’t had a guy who could really sling it in a couple years. They do return their leading rusher from last year, HM All-MVL Griffin Caldwell, and I would look for him to really break out this year and maybe compete for most rushing yards in the league. Tipp also has their leading tackler from last season in 1st Team All-MVL linebacker Cayd Everhart who had 124 tackles last year. They are returning 7 of their 11 top tacklers from last year. Lastly, I think Tipp is going to have one of the best O-Lines they’ve had in recent years as they really have some size returning. They return 6’4 250 2nd Team All-MVL OT Davis Featherstone who is receiving interest from a bunch of Ivy League schools, as well as 6’3 250 second team All-MVL OL/DL Lawson Cook, and 6’4 309 center Jackson Blaul-Green. They also have 6’4 296 junior OLineman Tristen Matherson.
Tipp also returns HM All-MVL players, David Chavez DL, and Cole Coppock TE
If that's accurate, I'd expect to see Tipp running the ball down the opposition's throats this season.

With a bit of an unknown at QB, an experienced running back, and an O-line that is that big and heavy, I don't see why you wouldn't just push your opponent down the field. As long as the O-line is coached well, I'd think Caldwell could end up with a lot of yards and TDs.

All of the above.

How is the new Butler staff doing? I hope they give cates some time.

All of the above.

How is the new Butler staff doing? I hope they give cates some time.
I am hoping they give Cates time because by the sound of it, it is a total rebuild. I am sure he has assembled a good staff and brought most from Covington where they were successful at.

How is Sidney going to be this year? I hear that they have a stud RB. I heard last night that last year they had coaches in full pads taking reps trying to get the kids ready. Is this allowed?
They have the same RB as last year. He and most running backs aren't good enough to do it on their own. The line needs some work. I'm not making fun of you but your statement about the coaches in full pads is hilarious. Heck none of the coaches at Sidney want nothing to do with going full pads against the team. Heck from what I know they barely do any hitting at all.

They have the same RB as last year. He and most running backs aren't good enough to do it on their own. The line needs some work. I'm not making fun of you but your statement about the coaches in full pads is hilarious. Heck none of the coaches at Sidney want nothing to do with going full pads against the team. Heck from what I know they barely do any hitting at all.
most teams don’t do much contact in practice these days

most teams don’t do much contact in practice these days
Truth. I remember there were some limitations put out on practice contact a few years ago and looked them up and saw that OHSAA limits contact to 60 minutes a week, 30 minutes a day, and not on back to back days. Most of us old school guys don't probably agree with these limitations but when the NFL and NCAA have such strict rules on contact high school is going to have to follow suite. I'd like to hear the opinion of some coaches from around here if it has any kind of affect on the safety or preparation?

Truth. I remember there were some limitations put out on practice contact a few years ago and looked them up and saw that OHSAA limits contact to 60 minutes a week, 30 minutes a day, and not on back to back days. Most of us old school guys don't probably agree with these limitations but when the NFL and NCAA have such strict rules on contact high school is going to have to follow suite. I'd like to hear the opinion of some coaches from around here if it has any kind of affect on the safety or preparation?
I've talked to some coaches, and for the most part they embrace it. it cuts down on injuries as well unnecessary bumps and bruises during practice. the goal of the week is to have the boys mentally and physically prepared for a battle each Friday. knocking each other in the mouth all week doesn't help that. coaches have developed many adequate tackling drills that require no taking to the ground.

I am hoping they give Cates time because by the sound of it, it is a total rebuild. I am sure he has assembled a good staff and brought most from Covington where they were successful at.

I think every coach at least needs one class. Meaning brining a group of Freshman all the way though until they graduate as seniors. That is a true look at what your program produces. But, many coaches can not get that far due to crazy parents who have never played the game. And more importantly, have no understanding the true purpose of high school sports.

I've talked to some coaches, and for the most part they embrace it. it cuts down on injuries as well unnecessary bumps and bruises during practice. the goal of the week is to have the boys mentally and physically prepared for a battle each Friday. knocking each other in the mouth all week doesn't help that. coaches have developed many adequate tackling drills that require no taking to the ground.

I know that is the case for the small private I cheer for Troy Christian. No chance they can risk an injury in practice with major depth issues.

I am not sure the no tackle tackle drills are working. Tacking is a very skilled activity, and kids just do not do it the right away any more. If you even watch the higher levels and even pros, tacking technique is consistency awful, especially at LB and SS who really should be experts at it. Why do people not wrap up any more? Why is everything a lunge or a trip attempt? So much dangerous spearing because its not practiced enough. I really think it is because its hard to tackle in practice anymore due to many factors. One area that is not impacted it seems is blocking, as you can do a lot more technique with a pad in run/pass block sets than trying to tackle a moving target. I do not know a solution to this.