2021 GCYL Football

Jude varsity started the year in d1. But they finished the season in the bottom 2 teams so they were moved to d2 for the tournament.
Antoninus started in d2 and went undefeated. They were moved to d1 for the tournament. It is my understanding that this is how all age groups worked. The bottom 2 go down. The top 2 go up

Teams in D2 have the option to "challenge up" to play in the next division higher. This year at the Varsity level, three teams actually chose to challenge up - St Antoninus, Cardinal Pacelli and Queen of Peace. The teams that ended up moving down were - Lourdes/Jude, St Ignatius and IHM.

And for dropping down and beating much smaller and inferior teams.
Not the kids/players fault. Hell I guess it should all be 1 Division and some Teams should fold and kids be told they don’t have a Football Teams to play for. Geesh some of you folks don’t make a damn bit of sense!

Teams in D2 have the option to "challenge up" to play in the next division higher. This year at the Varsity level, three teams actually chose to challenge up - St Antoninus, Cardinal Pacelli and Queen of Peace. The teams that ended up moving down were - Lourdes/Jude, St Ignatius and IHM.
Adults have the option to challenge up. The kids Practice and Play for whatever decision they are told. What a concept!!

Thanks ✅

I'm not sure it is an option to challenge or drop. I thought the league just automatically moved them
Maybe the league does it automatically but I've heard that there have been teams petition to play up, like Queen of Peace did this year and also petition to stay down in their regular division. For the most part, moving the top 2 up seems to have worked out most of the time.

It's a good idea to have two divisions in the playoffs. Then you don't have a #1 seed playing the #14 seed in the first round of the playoffs. it makes for better competition. Also could get the kids another couple of weeks of practice, reps, games.

At the Varsity level no so sure there is a difference between D1 and D2. Queen of Peace and St A were probably the second and third best Varsity teams this season. St Mikes for second year in a role won the Varsity but they should since St Mikes has basically become a Club team with players from all over. Think about this, they have players from Sharonville to Middletown. It is out of control. Their best three players are all from Middletown area.

At the Varsity level no so sure there is a difference between D1 and D2. Queen of Peace and St A were probably the second and third best Varsity teams this season. St Mikes for second year in a role won the Varsity but they should since St Mikes has basically become a Club team with players from all over. Think about this, they have players from Sharonville to Middletown. It is out of control. Their best three players are all from Middletown area.
Couldn’t agree more.

Most of the teams in the league are club teams now. There are very few stand alone teams anymore.

That said, St Mikes took advantage of the pandemic last year when Middletown shut down their Fall Sports. Three of their biggest contributors from this year, helped them win the championship last year as 7th graders.

Most of the teams in the league are club teams now. There are very few stand alone teams anymore.

That said, St Mikes took advantage of the pandemic last year when Middletown shut down their Fall Sports. Three of their biggest contributors from this year, helped them win the championship last year as 7th graders.
It needs to be addressed somehow for the future

Why? What exactly needs to be addressed?
Probably because St. Mike’s is considered a “club” team and Wins. That always rubs people the wrong way. What School/Team in this League doesn’t have Players from multiple schools and parishes?

Probably because St. Mike’s is considered a “club” team and Wins. That always rubs people the wrong way. What School/Team in this League doesn’t have Players from multiple schools and parishes?
Right, but you can't have a gripe when more than half the teams in the league are "club" teams.

Antoninus - Antoninus/Teresa/Als OTH
Victory - OLV/Dominic/William - which was a club team itself of William/Lawrence/Ressurrection/Holy Family
Volunteer - Jude/Als/Lourdes/Martin/Catharine
James - James/JohnDR/JohnHarrison/Barts/LittleFlower/OLG

And that's just the old WFC schools.

Right, but you can't have a gripe when more than half the teams in the league are "club" teams.

Antoninus - Antoninus/Teresa/Als OTH
Victory - OLV/Dominic/William - which was a club team itself of William/Lawrence/Ressurrection/Holy Family
Volunteer - Jude/Als/Lourdes/Martin/Catharine
James - James/JohnDR/JohnHarrison/Barts/LittleFlower/OLG

And that's just the old WFC schools.
That’s why I was asking about how many Teams with Players from multiple schools there are in the League. Right, absolutely no gripe when pretty much doing the same thing.

Meh. Mike's isn't that great at the younger levels. They got smoked by the Vols at Pony and only beat them at the reserve level because the Vols played all their kids and Mike's didn't. I think they just had a nice group of kids at varsity. It happens.

Meh. Mike's isn't that great at the younger levels. They got smoked by the Vols at Pony and only beat them at the reserve level because the Vols played all their kids and Mike's didn't. I think they just had a nice group of kids at varsity. It happens.

Mikes is never good on the lower levels and always loaded on varsity. It’s because they have a boatload of public schools kids join the program for varsity. That’s been happening for 10 plus years now.

Mikes is never good on the lower levels and always loaded on varsity. It’s because they have a boatload of public schools kids join the program for varsity. That’s been happening for 10 plus years now.
Ah. I didn’t know that.

That sucks for the 8-10 kids that never got into the reserve game with the Vols this year. Even less playing time for them as seventh- and eighth-graders

That’s one of the reasons I’m not sure why people are complaining about St. Mike’s.

Badin playing for a State Title. Wonder how many kids they’re getting from QOP and St Mikes.

Badin playing for a State Title. Wonder how many kids they’re getting from QOP and St Mikes.
A lot from QOP, that's basically their club feeder, like the Little Cards is for Colerain, and especially the Varsity team. Can't imagine many from St Mike's though.

A lot from QOP, that's basically their club feeder, like the Little Cards is for Colerain, and especially the Varsity team. Can't imagine many from St Mike's though.
If Mike’s is getting kids from Middletown, I’d think it’s possible.

If Mike’s is getting kids from Middletown, I’d think it’s possible.
They only got kids from Middletown because last year during Covid, Middletown shut down their athletics. The kids were looking for somewhere to play and St Mike's was one of the only spots out there for them to go.