2021 Elder Football

With 16 of 17 teams making the playoffs in Region 4 (or 16 of 18 if Middletown comes back) GMC and ECC ADs decided the regular season doesn't matter outside of determining a conference champion.

Thank you. I enjoy Mike Dyer insight, but he could have saved himself a lot of typing with what you said in one sentence.

I feel bad for Dyer that he had to transcribe the meaningless drivel from the GMC ADs.

Whether these schools intended it or not, this can also be viewed as another step toward driving a wedge to separate public schools from private schools in football. I wonder how many D2 ECC ADs realize that without Elder, Moeller and St. X in the picture their schools would suddenly have to compete against schools with much larger enrollments.

Last edited:
Do the GCL-S schools need the GMC and the ECC schools to fill out their schedules in all the other sports? If not, if the GMC and ECC reserve week 1 for games between the two conferences, the GCL-S ADs should take another look at the schools they schedule in all the other sports, regardless of any rivalries. I bet other schools will schedule GCL-S schools in sports other than football.

I feel bad for Dyer that he had to transcribe the meaningless drivel from the GMC ADs.

Whether these schools intended it or not, this can also be viewed as another step toward driving a wedge to separate public schools from private schools in football. I wonder how many D2 ECC ADs realize that without Elder, Moeller and St. X in the picture their schools would suddenly have to compete against schools with much larger enrollments.
I think this is a carryover of when the GMC schools refused to schedule GCL schools in any sport but in the long run, this will hurt these schools once they get into the playoff picture. How many of those Colerain teams rolled through the GMC schedule "back in the day" then once they ran into a GCL school in the playoffs, players & coaches didn't know how to react to a close game. Also it stinks for those players, missing out on the atmosphere of playing at an Elder/X/LaSalle stadium on a Friday Night.

You would have thought the expanded playoffs would promote more games outside the conference and against stronger competition but wow talk about an unintended consequence.

Why would the GMC schools do anything to benefit the league (GCL) that has dominated the city for decades? They’re not going to do them any favors, especially if they think they already have a built in advantage of recruiting from anywhere in the city.

I hate to agree with Trey but the those leagues don’t owe the GCL-S anything. Their scheduling just got a whole lot easier, their ADs only need to schedule one non-league game each year. I’m not sure how this works but could the teams from those leagues now be in a better bargaining position when it comes to scheduling those non-league games and maybe try to get more money out of the GCL teams for playing them?

Assume Team A goes 10-0 against a schedule of entirely D1 opponents who themselves all finish 9-1 against all D1 opponents, they'd finish with a Harbin average of 65.000. This type of scenario would require no overlap in schedules--in other words no conference games.

Now consider Team B goes 10-0 against a schedule of entirely D1 opponents who themselves all finish 5-5 against all D1 opponents--as you might expect results to average out in a large conference. Team B's final Harbin average would be just 39.000.

Those numbers are greatly over simplified and admittedly a bit unrealistic, but with 9 league games the GMC and ECC are (intentionally?) limiting their own potential L2 points. But again, none of this matters because the OHSAA has made the regular season meaningless.

I wonder what the GMC thinks about Colerain and St X playing every year, and if that will continue? Wonder if Colerain has any pressure to discontinue the series.

Maybe Elder could do something like that with Sycamore? But then again, the league probably wouldn’t want them to.

Assume Team A goes 10-0 against a schedule of entirely D1 opponents who themselves all finish 9-1 against all D1 opponents, they'd finish with a Harbin average of 65.000. This type of scenario would require no overlap in schedules--in other words no conference games.

Now consider Team B goes 10-0 against a schedule of entirely D1 opponents who themselves all finish 5-5 against all D1 opponents--as you might expect results to average out in a large conference. Team B's final Harbin average would be just 39.000.

Those numbers are greatly over simplified and admittedly a bit unrealistic, but with 9 league games the GMC and ECC are (intentionally?) limiting their own potential L2 points. But again, none of this matters because the OHSAA has made the regular season meaningless.

2019 GMC Standings
Colerain 8-0
Fairfield 7-1
Lakota West 6-2
Mason 5-3
Princeton 4-4
Lakota East 4-4
Sycamore 3-5
Hamilton 3-5
Middletown 0-8
Oak Hills 0-8

Colerain did not play Lakota West that season.

Do the GCL-S schools need the GMC and the ECC schools to fill out their schedules in all the other sports? If not, if the GMC and ECC reserve week 1 for games between the two conferences, the GCL-S ADs should take another look at the schools they schedule in all the other sports, regardless of any rivalries. I bet other schools will schedule GCL-S schools in sports other than football.
It would help a lot if they could schedule those teams.

After reading your post, I started to think, The GMC & ECC going to 9 conference games that might guarantee an 0-10 or 2-8 team. If that happens and a GCL team gets 1 win over a team with 2 wins that guarantees a playoff spot.

In my opinion this hurts the ECC D2 teams. It limits the L2 points and 16 out of 27 teams make the playoffs. From my work with the Harbins The L2 points help more than the L1.

No flexibility in scheduling.
No variety in seeing different offenses/defenses.
No option to play the best to get better.
No fun road trips. If they are lucky enough to make it past round 2 in playoffs they won't be used to long bus ride.
The Schools apparently think 9 League Games is what’s best for them making most of what you say above irrelevant. I do agree with you on the long bus ride one though. They simply are doing what they think is best for their school and League. They don’t give a crap about our opinion so you be hard pressed to make sense of their quotes.

The Schools apparently think 9 League Games is what’s best for them making most of what you say above irrelevant. I do agree with you on the long bus ride one though. They simply are doing what they think is best for their school and League. They don’t give a crap about our opinion so you be hard pressed to make sense of their quotes.
Yeah, but we still get to vote on their tax levies. (Well I don't because I have left Hamilton County, but you know what I mean)

Nobody expects them to care about our opinion, but the purpose of this site is for us to still give that opinion.

I wonder what the GMC thinks about Colerain and St X playing every year, and if that will continue? Wonder if Colerain has any pressure to discontinue the series.

Maybe Elder could do something like that with Sycamore? But then again, the league probably wouldn’t want them to.
I think the long time St. X versus Colerain series is probably over. LW might continue play St. X each year in week 1 due to the friendship of the 2 head coaches. GCL South scheduling just became more difficult with the new 9 game schedule for the GMC.

I think the long time St. X versus Colerain series is probably over. LW might continue play St. X each year in week 1 due to the friendship of the 2 head coaches. GCL South scheduling just became more difficult with the new 9 game schedule for the GMC.
I disagree. Yes, I think the Colerain/X game is over. I hope X makes Colerain pay the buyout fee for next year.

This year the only GMC/GCL game in week 2 was Colerain/X.

LaSalle vs Colerain is week 1. X vs Lakota West Week 1. Moeller vs Lakota East week 1.

LaSalle vs Colerain will probably continue. Short drive for Colerain and it completes their schedule. LaSalle will be happy because they only have to find 6 more games.

X vs Lakota West will continue as long as the two head coaches stay at their schools. Same as above X only has to find 5 more games assuming they keep their game with Iggy.

Lakota East vs Moeller was probably a one year deal anyway. East will try to move their Week 2 game vs Milford to week 1 and be done. Milford is in the same boat in the ECC so I could see that happening easy.

I think the GCL will try and pick up games with Louisville Trinity and Louisville X. Trinity is on the schedule of Moeller, LaSalle, and X this year. Louisville X is on Elder's schedule, They have played Cincy X and Moeller in the past. But looking at their 2021 schedule a lot of Louisville teams still play Louisville X. Louisville Trinity plays as 3 Ohio teams and only 4 Kentucky teams. Out of their 10 schedule games only 4 are vs Kentucky teams.

If I were the GCL, I would try to toss money at Kentucky schools. Schools like Ryle, Simon Kenton, Dixie Heights, Campbell County, Scott County, Louisville Male and Henry Clay. They don't have to worry about the Harbins and can learn from the lose to make a deep playoff run.

Yeah, but we still get to vote on their tax levies. (Well I don't because I have left Hamilton County, but you know what I mean)
I get what you mean but there are only 4 GMC Schools in Hamilton County. I don’t like this but totally agree with what VOR said above.

I highly doubt that anyone will be charged a buyout fee for having to meet League obligations.

I disagree. Yes, I think the Colerain/X game is over. I hope X makes Colerain pay the buyout fee for next year.

This year the only GMC/GCL game in week 2 was Colerain/X.

LaSalle vs Colerain is week 1. X vs Lakota West Week 1. Moeller vs Lakota East week 1.

LaSalle vs Colerain will probably continue. Short drive for Colerain and it completes their schedule. LaSalle will be happy because they only have to find 6 more games.

X vs Lakota West will continue as long as the two head coaches stay at their schools. Same as above X only has to find 5 more games assuming they keep their game with Iggy.

Lakota East vs Moeller was probably a one year deal anyway. East will try to move their Week 2 game vs Milford to week 1 and be done. Milford is in the same boat in the ECC so I could see that happening easy.

I think the GCL will try and pick up games with Louisville Trinity and Louisville X. Trinity is on the schedule of Moeller, LaSalle, and X this year. Louisville X is on Elder's schedule, They have played Cincy X and Moeller in the past. But looking at their 2021 schedule a lot of Louisville teams still play Louisville X. Louisville Trinity plays as 3 Ohio teams and only 4 Kentucky teams. Out of their 10 schedule games only 4 are vs Kentucky teams.

If I were the GCL, I would try to toss money at Kentucky schools. Schools like Ryle, Simon Kenton, Dixie Heights, Campbell County, Scott County, Louisville Male and Henry Clay. They don't have to worry about the Harbins and can learn from the lose to make a deep playoff run.
Elder had a deal with Scott County but that fell through.

I get what you mean but there are only 4 GMC Schools in Hamilton County. I don’t like this but totally agree with what VOR said above.

I highly doubt that anyone will be charged a buyout fee for having to meet League obligations.
I remember back in 2009 when Elder and Colerain had the opportunity to play on ESPN, Colerain wanted the game at their place, but ESPN had no interest in that. Elder sweetened the deal for Colerain and offered a game at Colerain in 2010 to make the 2009 game happen. Colerain put a large penalty in the contract if Elder didn't play in 2010. So I am just bring that back up.

Most Elder voters would probably fall into Oak Hills, Three Rivers, or CPS school district. X and Moeller probably have people in Warren and Butler counties too. I would guess most LaSalle people would be in Northwest, Oak Hills, or Southwest School district. But they all probably have some people like me that don't live in the area the schools are in. My comments are probably a little childish, but I am a kid at heart.

I remember back in 2009 when Elder and Colerain had the opportunity to play on ESPN, Colerain wanted the game at their place, but ESPN had no interest in that. Elder sweetened the deal for Colerain and offered a game at Colerain in 2010 to make the 2009 game happen. Colerain put a large penalty in the contract if Elder didn't play in 2010. So I am just bring that back up.
I don't remember the exact amount Colerain required for the buyout if Elder backed out of playing at Colerain in 2010, but it was so large that it had to be approved by the Northwest Board of Education.

Why the buyout so high for Elder? When has Elder ever backed out of a game?

I know it’s cliche, but they do pretty much play anyone anywhere.

Why the buyout so high for Elder? When has Elder ever backed out of a game?

I know it’s cliche, but they do pretty much play anyone anywhere.
I’m gonna say never on Elder backing out, the answer to your other question is because they could and $$$$. Also a difference in backing out for whatever the reason and backing out for a new and approved League Scheduling conflict.

How does the Elder faithful feel about the job the AD has done in regards to Scheduling for All Elder Sports?

Last edited:
The GMC and ECC schools may vote for an agreement in which GMC schools will play only ECC schools in week 1, with schools like Lakota West, Colerain, and maybe Princeton, schools that would like to be able to play a GCL-S team in week 1, being outvoted.
A problem with getting schools from Kentucky, Indiana, and any other state for that matter to play later in the season, regardless of their payday from playing a GCL-S school, is that many schools are able to schedule nonconference games only early in the season because the balance of their schedules are all conference games.

I’m gonna say never on Elder backing out, the answer to your other question is because they could and $$$$. Also a difference in backing out for whatever the reason and backing out for a new and approved League Scheduling conflict.

How does the Elder faithful feel about the job the AD has done in regards to Scheduling for All Elder Sports?
I think the AD is doing a great job. Being the AD at a Catholic school where a bunch of public won't play you to start is hard. Then you have to factor in the schools that are willing to play you and if they have a common open date. It is not an easy job.

I look back at my single life. I would have loved to have gone on dates with Carrie Underwood, Emma Stone, Mandy Moore, Avril Lavigne, Danica Patrick, Britney Spears, Jennifer Aniston, Tiffany Amber Theisan, Miranda Lambert, and Jessica Biel, but none of them agreed to go on a date with me. I ended up with my wife and I am happy about that. Sort of like Elder finding games. Sure they would like to play Oak Hills, but they got Roncalli. Both parties have to agree to the game and when you have Harbins, expenseses, and a lot of other things that need to happen to make it work.

Some of the GMC teams don't match up well with the ECC teams. Sure Milford, West Clermont, and Lebanon can match up with GMC teams, but who does Little Miami and Walnut Hills match up with? They are better off finding their own game.

I think the AD is doing a great job. Being the AD at a Catholic school where a bunch of public won't play you to start is hard. Then you have to factor in the schools that are willing to play you and if they have a common open date. It is not an easy job.

I look back at my single life. I would have loved to have gone on dates with Carrie Underwood, Emma Stone, Mandy Moore, Avril Lavigne, Danica Patrick, Britney Spears, Jennifer Aniston, Tiffany Amber Theisan, Miranda Lambert, and Jessica Biel, but none of them agreed to go on a date with me. I ended up with my wife and I am happy about that. Sort of like Elder finding games. Sure they would like to play Oak Hills, but they got Roncalli. Both parties have to agree to the game and when you have Harbins, expenseses, and a lot of other things that need to happen to make it work.

Some of the GMC teams don't match up well with the ECC teams. Sure Milford, West Clermont, and Lebanon can match up with GMC teams, but who does Little Miami and Walnut Hills match up with? They are better off finding their own
The Scheduling aspect of a Catholic School is definitely a tough job. I don’t ever hear much about him,good or bad. Guess that’s a good thing!

If GMC makes an agreement to play ECC Week 1 that imo would be a bad move. Most of the ECC Teams are D2 in Football.

Some of the GMC teams don't match up well with the ECC teams. Sure Milford, West Clermont, and Lebanon can match up with GMC teams, but who does Little Miami and Walnut Hills match up with? They are better off finding their own game.
Avril Lavigne? I’ll give you all the others.

He’s doing a good job given the difficulties in scheduling 10 games. 15 years ago, would anyone have thought they’d schedule a Football School from Canada? It truly does suck this is how things are, but Elder can’t control what these conferences decide to do.

"Other conference decisions" - The ECC went to a 9 game schedule so GMC had to follow that? Why?
"The Playoff Structure" - 16 teams making the playoffs now somehow makes the decision to go to a 9 game league schedule? Why?
"Simply placing GMC schools in the best position to be successful" - How does playing only other GMC schools put your team in best position to be successful?

Can someone help me explain these advantages of going to 9 game GMC schedule?
Cost. No need to find other opponents for Frosh/JV games. Those are two huge factors that no one seems to mention.

Sadly yes to your first question. A boycott would only hurt the GCL schools. Additionally, two other huge factors in those other sports:
1. More games in the other team sports, basketball is up to at least 20, baseball is similar
2. Everyone makes the playoffs in those other team sports

I would imagine the X-Colerain series was bound to end soon anyways, with X-West taking over. Bolden and Specht love each other.