2021 Elder Football

West Hi QB Omar Beckley would play somewhere probably for Elder either athlete or in the defensive secondary. Ibrahim Sidibe would be a nice WR target.
This maybe true. Not that it matters at this point but does the former Walnut Hills QB get any PT for Elder? Would think most Teams around would have an Athletic QB.

QB Ben Hambleton broke the completion percentage record that I believe they said was set in 1998? Hambleton finished the regular season at 70.7%. This was according to the PSRN guys. I know a lot are short easy completions that are used as a running game, but that is still very impressive. I guess the playoffs could change that.

Also, congrats to the JV on winning the GCL outright with a 28-14 win over LS. Impressive accomplishment with the amount of Sophs playing up on Varsity and injuries to Ginn and Mier.

Congratulations to Drew Ramsey on Player of the Year in GCL. I was surprised he did not share it with the X QB, but it shows the respect he has from the other GCL schools to not share the honor.

Player of the Year
WR Drew Ramsey

First Team
QB Ben Hambleton
WR Drew Ramsey
WR Andrew Harp
LB Andrew Spinney
CB Chris Kammerer
NG Samari Freeman

Second Team
RB Luke Flowers
TE Mike Kirch
DB Zack Gutekunst

Elder finished 2nd in the GCL, but they had the lowest number of All-GCL honors. That is disappointing. I see a few left off that should be 2nd team.

St. Xavier
11 1st Team
4 2nd Team

Moeller
6 1st Team
10 2nd Team

Elder
6 1st Team
3 2nd Team

La Salle
4 1st Team
6 2nd Team

Elder finished 2nd in the GCL, but they had the lowest number of All-GCL honors. That is disappointing. I see a few left off that should be 2nd team.

St. Xavier
11 1st Team
4 2nd Team

Moeller
6 1st Team
10 2nd Team

Elder
6 1st Team
3 2nd Team

La Salle
4 1st Team
6 2nd Team
Just means Elder is playing well as a collective unit on both sides of the ball.

Could have probably thrown an OL on 2nd Team, but with their struggles maybe no one stood out. Defensively, they've played so many different guys on that side of the ball, that outside the guys already recognized it's hard to say any of the others rotating were deserving. Maybe Thomas?

They're also playing a lot of sophomores on defense. I know class shouldn't matter, but that could be playing a factor.

Just means Elder is playing well as a collective unit on both sides of the ball.

Could have probably thrown an OL on 2nd Team, but with their struggles maybe no one stood out. Defensively, they've played so many different guys on that side of the ball, that outside the guys already recognized it's hard to say any of the others rotating were deserving. Maybe Thomas?

They're also playing a lot of sophomores on defense. I know class shouldn't matter, but that could be playing a factor.

Thomas yes. 3 year starter has played every game with 2 interceptions and good coverage.
I was thinking Scharer, but they only took 5 total Linebackers for 1st/2nd Team. 1st year starter and senior has had solid season.
OL I was thinking James or Singler.

You would think for 1st/2nd team they would take 10 total offensive line, and 7-8 linebackers.

That’s why I really think this year is one of the better overall coaching jobs we’ve seen from the staff during Ramsey’s entire tenure.

They’ve had to patchwork together so many Difft personnel issues added to the brutal schedule and limited depth, 5-5 with a playoff win is a pretty good achievement.

That’s why I really think this year is one of the better overall coaching jobs we’ve seen from the staff during Ramsey’s entire tenure.

They’ve had to patchwork together so many Difft personnel issues added to the brutal schedule and limited depth, 5-5 with a playoff win is a pretty good achievement.

I would agree. One more regular season win would have been ideal to avoid the 2nd round matchup with X. Otherwise, it's been a solid season considering what Ramsey himself even says they are not "great" this year. Before I get attacked by another Elder fan, Ramsey has said they are good, not great this year.

I would agree. One more regular season win would have been ideal to avoid the 2nd round matchup with X. Otherwise, it's been a solid season considering what Ramsey himself even says they are not "great" this year. Before I get attacked by another Elder fan, Ramsey has said they are good, not great this year.
anyone upset by that description isn’t paying attention. They’re not great, but are being kept a float by a few great players while more inexperienced players continue to develop.

I’m surprise they gave it to him (Ramsey) outright. They normally like to be PC and give Co-POYs.
You be the judge of this decision:
McCaughey 161 for 244 (66.0%) for 2,343 yards (14.6 ypc) and 28 TDs
Kellom 198 carries for 1,108 yards (5.6 ypc) and 21 TDs; 28 catches for 433 yards (15.6 ypc) and 4 TDs; Totals: 1,541 yards and 25 TDs
Ramsey
107 carries for 337 yards (3.5 ypc) and 16 TDs; 105 catches for 1,014 yards (9.7 ypc) and 2 TDs: Totals: 1,351 yards and 18 TDs

(The above stats are from Reload, so I'm not vouching that they are entirely accurate-- but if they are, it appears to me that there probably SHOULD have been "Co-POYs"-- and neither one of them should have been named Ramsey-- especially when you consider that McCaughey and Kellom regularly sat out 4th Quarters-- and sometimes even 3rd Quarters-- this season.)

Based on Mike Dyer's reporting, Drew Ramsey was the unanimous selection for Player of the Year. Why doesn't Specht support his players?

That’s a pretty funny statement, X had 9 players special mention as player of the year this year and Elder had 2, the question should be why doesn’t Ramsey support players that aren’t his kid

This is dumb. I think you could make the argument Kellom & Ramsey should split, but Ramsey is in the top 15 for receptions in a single season. He also plays multiple positions on offense and a little Defense at Safety on 3rd Down. He’s deserving of the award, I was just surprised it was unanimous.

Based on Mike Dyer's reporting, Drew Ramsey was the unanimous selection for Player of the Year. Why doesn't Specht support his players?
I think the rules prohibit each coach from voting for his own players.

This is dumb. I think you could make the argument Kellom & Ramsey should split, but Ramsey is in the top 15 for receptions in a single season. He also plays multiple positions on offense and a little Defense at Safety on 3rd Down. He’s deserving of the award, I was just surprised it was unanimous.
It's not "dumb"-- who had a better year offensively: Kellom or Ramsey? McCaughey or Ramsey? The stats above suggest that this decision was not made on objective data.

It's not "dumb"-- who had a better year offensively: Kellom or Ramsey? McCaughey or Ramsey? The stats above suggest that this decision was not made on objective data.
It routinely isn't so that's fine. A lot of people here are just as surprised it wasn't shared, no one is saying either player from X is undeserving either. Move along.

It’s not strictly quantitative.

Kudos to Ramsey for GCL POY! The St. X QB and RB have definitely had great seasons with some impressive numbers that could have been better. I am so glad the GCL POY this year was just that this year. The Co-POY stuff I honestly think is nothing more than hogwash. They voted/picked 1 Player and that’s how it should be. All the candidates have had seasons to be proud of!

I will say this... If Elder didn't have Ramsey they may have won 3 games. If X lost either Kellom or McCaughey they still win 8 or 9 games. Ramsey is doing what he's doing with a lot less.