2021 Elder Football

This schedule is tough but I don’t think it is tougher than the 2011 or 2012 schedule. I do think a lot of people are overlooking ‘Ville X. They’re supposed to take the mantle from Trinity this year, and playing them on the road is going to be incredibly difficult. I also believe a lot of fans are overlooking Moeller, who is trending back up in the right direction.

The increased difficulty of the schedule the last 15+ years is why I’ve been so adamant about Elder attracting talent (legally) from outside the traditional Feeders. I know basically everyone gets in the playoffs, but in most cases, you need momentum to make a decent run. You might be a decent team, but if you go 3-7 or 4-6, it’s really hard to get your team to make a push in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Every year Ramsey gives his rationale for a tough schedule and why the kids love playing a tough schedule, and every year pboy questions why the schedule is so tough.

pboy, competitors love to compete.

Last edited:
The Games that are more than an hr drive are really tough??
Look at how they historically perform in those games. It’s very clear, travel does have an impact. I’m sure it’s that way for almost any high school. Nobody is really fresh after a 2 hr bus ride

Coach Ramsey, Ben Hambleton and Drew Ramsey were interviewed on the WCPO high school sports podcast yesterday at Chick-fil-A. https://fb.watch/7cYc-DOJNI/

Hosts Mike Dyer and Caleb Noe also interviewed the head coaches and two players from Western Hills and Oak Hills, too.

Look at how they historically perform in those games. It’s very clear, travel does have an impact. I’m sure it’s that way for almost any high school. Nobody is really fresh after a 2 hr bus ride
Or….typically when you have to travel, you’re playing really good teams, which is normally the case.

Coach Ramsey, Ben Hambleton and Drew Ramsey were interviewed on the WCPO high school sports podcast yesterday at Chick-fil-A. https://fb.watch/7cYc-DOJNI/

Hosts Mike Dyer and Caleb Noe also interviewed the head coaches and two players from Western Hills and Oak Hills, too.

I was hoping to hear more about new players stepping into spots. They kept things very close to the vest. A few things to take from the podcast.

OFFENSE
1. Hambleton is much more comfortable running the offense this year. Look for him to increase his stats and efficiency even more this season.
2. Drew will throw more passes this season than last season(Doug Ramsey said this).
3. Luke Flowers is your starting Tailback moving over from defense. This leaves a void in the secondary. Flowers was pretty good on defense last year and would have been very good this season on the defensive side of the ball. Flowers will instead be on the offensive side this season.
4. Evan James is the only Olineman they mentioned. This is definitely not the most experienced oline. The team will only go as far as these 5, they need to step up.
5. Drew is the only WR that has a position locked up right now, and he mentioned Mikey Kirch at TE. He said they have several guys fighting for 3-4 spots at WR.

DEFENSE
1. Bartley Thomas and Chris Kammerer are your starting Corners. Kammerer is banged up and will not play in the scrimmage tonight. Speed is so important in the secondary and these 2 bring the speed.
2. Nicholas Paff and Andrew Spinney are returning LBs. No mention of who will join them.
3. Samari Freeman was mentioned as returning NG, but he said they will likely have 6-7 dlineman rotating in the 3 dline spots this season with a mix of sophomores through seniors.

Not a lot of specific players talked about. As expected. there is still competition to be played out for some of the remaining spots. Drew mentioned one thing he is excited about to take away from the scrimmage tonight is to see who steps up on the team to win starting spots/playing time.

I think things will start getting settled after this scrimmage and going into Springboro we will see the lineups being set for week 1 against Cov Cath.

I was hoping to hear more about new players stepping into spots. They kept things very close to the vest. A few things to take from the podcast.

OFFENSE
1. Hambleton is much more comfortable running the offense this year. Look for him to increase his stats and efficiency even more this season.
2. Drew will throw more passes this season than last season(Doug Ramsey said this).
3. Luke Flowers is your starting Tailback moving over from defense. This leaves a void in the secondary. Flowers was pretty good on defense last year and would have been very good this season on the defensive side of the ball. Flowers will instead be on the offensive side this season.
4. Evan James is the only Olineman they mentioned. This is definitely not the most experienced oline. The team will only go as far as these 5, they need to step up.
5. Drew is the only WR that has a position locked up right now, and he mentioned Mikey Kirch at TE. He said they have several guys fighting for 3-4 spots at WR.

DEFENSE
1. Bartley Thomas and Chris Kammerer are your starting Corners. Kammerer is banged up and will not play in the scrimmage tonight. Speed is so important in the secondary and these 2 bring the speed.
2. Nicholas Paff and Andrew Spinney are returning LBs. No mention of who will join them.
3. Samari Freeman was mentioned as returning NG, but he said they will likely have 6-7 dlineman rotating in the 3 dline spots this season with a mix of sophomores through seniors.

Not a lot of specific players talked about. As expected. there is still competition to be played out for some of the remaining spots. Drew mentioned one thing he is excited about to take away from the scrimmage tonight is to see who steps up on the team to win starting spots/playing time.

I think things will start getting settled after this scrimmage and going into Springboro we will see the lineups being set for week 1 against Cov Cath.
Good recap. I always thought Flowers did a great job against the run when the backs got through the LBs. I also think run defense is probably the weakest area.

Ramsey loves his athleticism on offense. With a strong emphasis likely on Hambleton and Ramsey on offense, do you really need to take one of your best defenders and put them in a position that honestly probably won’t get a ton of touches with Ramsey out there? I guess we will see - he’s smarter than me.

Watching the Frosh scrimmage, there’s good size for Elder and West. Roden stands out as QB, #6 at WR, #85 at TE, #86 at Safety, #95 at DE.

Another QB, couldn’t tell the #, looked pretty good too. #91 at DE had some big hits, #38 has a lot of potential at LB.

Overall, the Defense hit really hard, the Offense was extremely vanilla. I don’t think they threw any passes that weren’t off Bootlegs.

Varsity is going to struggle on the offensive line. Gotta figure out a way to give Hambleton time to make the plays. Won’t win many games if the offensive line is poor. Just got to be average.

Elder looks overmatched by a considerable amount. Ramsey had a nice run but that’s been about it. 14-7 West

Tackling needs to get a lot better. I’m not sure how much of that is due to it being early, but far too many missed tackles leading to big plays.

And I like Elder players talking back at the West players. I don’t think they should start the yapping, but if they start it and you show them up, let them know. Make some of them question if they’re actually good enough to play high D1 level football.

28-21 at half. E got down to the west 10 before half, but ran out of time.

Overall, Defense was sub par, but Offense, especially Ramsey, helped carry them.

Varsity is going to struggle on the offensive line. Gotta figure out a way to give Hambleton time to make the plays. Won’t win many games if the offensive line is poor. Just got to be average.
Definitely have to be average or better every week from the get go playing the Schedule Elder plays. Thoughts about moving another solid Defender to Offense?

Definitely have to be average or better every week from the get go playing the Schedule Elder plays. Thoughts about moving another solid Defender to Offense?
The OL played better after the first Qtr and you can’t discount that’s one of the better Defenses in the state they scrimmage.

The Defense needs to get better in a hurry. Way too many missed tackles. Not having Kammerer really hurt the secondary.

Again, I think they held up well overall given it was their first scrimmage and they were going against a Top 5 team in the state.

Who started on the O line outside of Evan James and Singler? Yes that will need to improve as the season goes on. I don't know if they have anyone on the Dline that could make the switch to Oline? Like Jack Tucker did so well last yr.

Who started on the O line outside of Evan James and Singler? Yes that will need to improve as the season goes on. I don't know if they have anyone on the Dline that could make the switch to Oline? Like Jack Tucker did so well last yr.
I couldn’t tell you, they had no #s or names anywhere.

Did Roden get most of the snaps at QB? Did Paff get any snaps at qb? or at RB?
I believe he did, but it wasn’t a massive amount more. Beyond Roden, I couldn’t really pick anyone out. It’s so hard to tell with no roster and just wearing practice jerseys.

Last edited:
The Kicking game was a mixed bag. PATs and Kickoffs looked pretty good. Elder even had one Kickoff for a touchback by a good 5 yards.

The Punting game is still struggling and needs to get better quickly. They’re giving up way too much field position on punts.

I know kicking from a tee and drop kicking on punts are difft, but are they that Difft? If they can just get 30 yards off a cleanly exchanged punt, that’s enough.

Last edited: