2021 Division II Poll Voting Discussion (Week 3)

1. Avon - Back to dominance this week for Avon with a win over a Glenville team that you can pencil in for 7-3. Avon’s last real test of the season comes this Friday.
  2. LaSalle - If I dropped Hoban last week after losing big at home I have to do the same to LaSalle.
  3. Massillon - I was considering putting Massillon at #1 this week, but 1 of 9 from the quarterback position isn’t enough to be considered the best team in the division.
  4. Hoban - The whole team needs to pray the rosary after Walsh fumbled with a minute left.
  5. Benedictine - Good to get some young guys some reps this week. The game against Bishop Hartley will be interesting.
  6. Walsh Jesuit - Ouch. Another 35-34 double overtime loss to a former North Coast League member. Still impressive that they hung with Hoban. Shouldn’t be much more to talk about until week 10.
  7. Austintown-Fitch - A shame they couldn’t find a game this week.
  8. Hudson - You could probably shuffle around any of the these Region 5 teams without much argument. I’m waiting to see a dominate win from Hudson, which should be coming up as we get into conference play.
  9. Avon Lake - Has done what they’re supposed to do for 3 weeks. Can they beat big brother?
  10. Kings - Undefeated with wins over a last week top 10 with Winton Woods and D1 (not Bishop) Sycamore to put them on top of region 8 in terms of computer points.

Dropped out: Winton Woods, Westerville South

Wow, I kept reading and expecting to see Avon Lake but to ee them at #9 is shocking to me. I get it though, until you beat Avon in the regular season, you are viewed as the little brother. Hopefully, they can find a way to hold on to the lead next week, as they have failed to do in recent years.

Maybe they prayed the rosary BEFORE the fumble, hmmmmmm? :D

Pretty sure Avon Lake is the big brother in this relationship, having been quite good long before they started building subdivisions out of farmland. AL grew from Cleveland, not from the country. I'd suspect Avon grew from lack of space along rt 6 making AL the Daddy. Anyhow Avon was still D4 in the early 2000s.

Avon lost their one test by three scores. Given what AL did to Columbian, Brecksville and Strongsville, I think they may pull out the paddle next weekend. Where's the stir the pot emoji?

Last edited:
Maybe they prayed the rosary BEFORE the fumble, hmmmmmm? :D

Pretty sure Avon Lake is the big brother in this relationship, having been quite good long before they started building subdivisions out of farmland. AL grew from Cleveland, not from the country. I'd suspect Avon grew from lack of space along rt 6 making AL the Daddy. Anyhow Avon was still D4 in the early 2000s.

Avon lost their one test by three scores. Given what AL did to Columbian, Brecksville and Strongsville, I think they may pull out the paddle next weekend. Where's the stir the pot emoji?
Well, they’ve played every year since 2010 in the regular season and have met three times in the playoffs. Avon is 11-3 in those meetings. I guess it’s like how Michigan still sees itself as Ohio State’s big brother, but the last decade is not on their side. Does that stir the pot?

Th
Well, they’ve played every year since 2010 in the regular season and have met three times in the playoffs. Avon is 11-3 in those meetings. I guess it’s like how Michigan still sees itself as Ohio State’s big brother, but the last decade is not on their side. Does that stir the pot?
That’s what I was referring too. Yes, AL was beating them consistently a long time ago, but recently it’s been Avon that is ending AL’s season and I hope it changes every year!

Wow, I kept reading and expecting to see Avon Lake but to ee them at #9 is shocking to me. I get it though, until you beat Avon in the regular season, you are viewed as the little brother. Hopefully, they can find a way to hold on to the lead next week, as they have failed to do in recent years.
Yeah, they’re doing better against Avon recently. Until a couple years ago most of the meetings were blowouts in Avon’s favor. Coach K has done a good job at AL.

Probably exactly what the AL coach is saying to his players. So curious, was I wrong? A's growth preceded Avon and many in Avon are children of those in AL?

Probably exactly what the AL coach is saying to his players. So curious, was I wrong? A's growth preceded Avon and many in Avon are children of those in AL?
Definitely true. Actually, the current boom town in Lorain County is North Ridgeville. Great facilities, a ton of houses sprouting up everywhere. If they can get the right head coach, they have all the ingredients for a big run of success.

Definitely true. Actually, the current boom town in Lorain County is North Ridgeville. Great facilities, a ton of houses sprouting up everywhere. If they can get the right head coach, they have all the ingredients for a big run of success.
Ah yes, reminds me of Edward Scissor hands the movie when you drive down every development with the same looking house and a not a tree in site.

Headed into this week's voting, the D2 Yappi Poll timeline looks like:

D2YappiPollTimeline.png

1. Avon - Back to dominance this week for Avon with a win over a Glenville team that you can pencil in for 7-3. Avon’s last real test of the season comes this Friday.
  2. LaSalle - If I dropped Hoban last week after losing big at home I have to do the same to LaSalle.
  3. Massillon - I was considering putting Massillon at #1 this week, but 1 of 9 from the quarterback position isn’t enough to be considered the best team in the division.
  4. Hoban - The whole team needs to pray the rosary after Walsh fumbled with a minute left.
  5. Benedictine - Good to get some young guys some reps this week. The game against Bishop Hartley will be interesting.
  6. Walsh Jesuit - Ouch. Another 35-34 double overtime loss to a former North Coast League member. Still impressive that they hung with Hoban. Shouldn’t be much more to talk about until week 10.
  7. Austintown-Fitch - A shame they couldn’t find a game this week.
  8. Hudson - You could probably shuffle around any of the these Region 5 teams without much argument. I’m waiting to see a dominate win from Hudson, which should be coming up as we get into conference play.
  9. Avon Lake - Has done what they’re supposed to do for 3 weeks. Can they beat big brother?
  10. Kings - Undefeated with wins over a last week top 10 with Winton Woods and D1 (not Bishop) Sycamore to put them on top of region 8 in terms of computer points.

Dropped out: Winton Woods, Westerville South
A pool without Washington at #1 isn't a good pool. I would also put Piqua in the top 10

That’s what I was referring too. Yes, AL was beating them consistently a long time ago, but recently it’s been Avon that is ending AL’s season and I hope it changes every year!

Maybe it was Avon who was praying the rosary in the Playoffs last year where the official botched the Touchdown Catch by Avon Lake in the final minutes that would've won the game?

Good lord, have you seen that Glenville team play? Why are people constantly giving extra credit to this year's team for prior teams from several years ago?

Glenville is 0-3 and NOT a good football team, pushing Avon to the top of the rankings based on beating them is a clown shoes opinion.

Similarly, Piqua has played NO ONE, and won't until the playoffs. They won't even reach the semis in their region, let alone show they are a top 10 team.

Stop giving teams credit for beating tomato cans. No one cares how good their teams were 4 years ago, if this year's team is bad STOP giving extra credit to other teams for beating them.

You a fan of the Massillon swim team or do you just like underage boys and girls?
This is a football pool right, you cant go swimming in a *football* pool. Just like you cant roller skate in a buffalo herd, you cant take a shower in a parakeet cage, you cant change film with a kid on your back, you cant drive around with a tiger in your car, and you cant go fishing in a watermelon patch. I'm sorry I don't seek or sniff the same interests of the guy you most likely voted for, that isnt a common thing and hopefully never will be.

Good lord, have you seen that Glenville team play? Why are people constantly giving extra credit to this year's team for prior teams from several years ago?

Glenville is 0-3 and NOT a good football team, pushing Avon to the top of the rankings based on beating them is a clown shoes opinion.

Similarly, Piqua has played NO ONE, and won't until the playoffs. They won't even reach the semis in their region, let alone show they are a top 10 team.

Stop giving teams credit for beating tomato cans. No one cares how good their teams were 4 years ago, if this year's team is bad STOP giving extra credit to other teams for beating them.
Sorry. Just think Piqua is good enough to be top 10.

This is a football pool right, you cant go swimming in a *football* pool. Just like you cant roller skate in a buffalo herd, you cant take a shower in a parakeet cage, you cant change film with a kid on your back, you cant drive around with a tiger in your car, and you cant go fishing in a watermelon patch. I'm sorry I don't seek or sniff the same interests of the guy you most likely voted for, that isnt a common thing and hopefully never will be.
If you are going out to the "pool" this November make sure you wear a wetsuit because your originality and quick wit would be sorely missed on here.

Maybe it was Avon who was praying the rosary in the Playoffs last year where the official botched the Touchdown Catch by Avon Lake in the final minutes that would've won the game?
I'm not arguing that that wasn't a huge blown call but Avon did march right down the field and settled for the game winning FG. There were still 3 or 4 plays that Avon could have run from the 15 yard line to try and score a TD. Saw some of the replays and you wonder how the ref missed that call though. He was right there. I guess we're all human. Lol

Sorry. Just think Piqua is good enough to be top 10.

Based on what?

Last year's team lost in the second round of the expanded playoffs to a team who then lost the next week. You have to be the second best team in your region, or third best if you play in one of the tougher regions (which they dont) to be a top 10 team.

I will grant you that R8 is lacking any kind of depth (and Piqua and Troy's presence is a big part of that), but you are absolutely fooling yourself if you think Piqua can beat Anderson suddenly this year, let alone teams like Kings, Winton Woods, and Turpin.

Other regions are far deeper than R8, and realistically Piqua isn't even in the top 20 of D2 teams. Make a semi final for once, then we can talk.

Yeah, they’re doing better against Avon recently. Until a couple years ago most of the meetings were blowouts in Avon’s favor. Coach K has done a good job at AL.
in the 1980's & 90's Avon Lake beat Avon like a rented mule. The current coaching staff turned the program around. The addition of all the sub divisions helped increase enrollment. In the last 15 years Avon as made a huge turn around. Before that, they were the weak sister.

Based on what?

Last year's team lost in the second round of the expanded playoffs to a team who then lost the next week. You have to be the second best team in your region, or third best if you play in one of the tougher regions (which they dont) to be a top 10 team.

I will grant you that R8 is lacking any kind of depth (and Piqua and Troy's presence is a big part of that), but you are absolutely fooling yourself if you think Piqua can beat Anderson suddenly this year, let alone teams like Kings, Winton Woods, and Turpin.

Other regions are far deeper than R8, and realistically Piqua isn't even in the top 20 of D2 teams. Make a semi final for once, then we can talk.
I agree Piqua's schedule doesn't help prove this team's worth. I hate the 9 game MVL schedule. However, this is a better, more skilled and far deeper team than the squad they had last year. I know it has been awhile for Piqua but this is the most talented team they have had since their state championship year. I get that we won't really know their worth until playoffs but they could make some noise. I'm not saying they can beat Lasalle but they can play with Kings, Winton Woods & Turpin. I respect your thoughts however until proven otherwise.

in the 1980's & 90's Avon Lake beat Avon like a rented mule. The current coaching staff turned the program around. The addition of all the sub divisions helped increase enrollment. In the last 15 years Avon as made a huge turn around. Before that, they were the weak sister.
Avon and Avon Lake only played in the 1950s and very early 1960s. AL grew fast and Avon stayed small. Avon was D5 in the 1980s and 1990s, while AL was D2. They played for the first time since the early 1960s in 2007 at Browns Stadium with AL winning 50-25 after Avon finally reached D3. They didn’t meet again until 2010 when both were in D2 and have met every year since with Avon dominating the win total 11-3 (including playoffs).